This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semi-Bad Review

Originally posted by NewAgeJesus
    I was kiddin'... All this show gets is praise - which is a good thing, it's a great show.

Sometimes i think it'd be good to get a bad review, so we'd have something to talk about
    Well... you guys have been looking for a bad review to chat about... so here's one... that, while not downright insulting, is less than glowing... enjoy...

Comment

Originally posted by yellowqueen22

As for Dark Angel... I kept watching random episodes... which I always liked.. but was slightly confused by... because I missed large chunks of episodes... so I never knew what I was watching or what was happening.

At least we both love VM. [/B]
      yes we do both love VM YQ22

Comment

Re: Semi-Bad Review

Originally posted by yellowqueen22
        Well... you guys have been looking for a bad review to chat about... so here's one... that, while not downright insulting, is less than glowing... enjoy...

http://www.tvsquad.com/2005/07/23/ve...ecap-part-one/
        To be honest, i'd call that a fair review. That's kinda what I thought when downlo... Watching the show... I ..Watched the first episode, and thought... "hmm.. It's alright.. Nothing that great.. But hey.. It might pick up.."

So i watched the next, and although I didn't think it was the best show ever, i did like it more... and yeah.. i was hooked.

As you can see in those snippets. S/He was hooked by episode 3. Which.. is good enough for me.

Comment

It was a pretty fair review... but I was grasping at straws for a negative article. I guess we will have to keep waiting for one of those.

Comment

well I thought his remarks in the pilot review were silly, how the heck can you say "I have to admit that I was left wondering why this show has received so much hype after watching this episode. Where are the quippy Whedon-like lines? Where's the ass-kicking chick?"

well moron why don't you watch the rest of the season and you will find some of those things, tsk tsk, this reviewer was just expecting to much from the pilot, where as true fans that watched the premiere, did not have this hype to deal with, we went in looking for a good show and got a great one, nuff said!! I can't say it was a fair article entirely. hell I just felt like ripping on the reviewer but I think i am right on that point

Comment

Hey NAJ... I found a somewhat critic of an article... although, turns around & praises the show...

Comment

Zap2It.Com Article on Season 2

Hey guys check this article out...

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,271|97655|1|,00.html

Comment

Hey freakface your link is broken... so doesn't work...

but here is another article about season two

Comment

Let's try again...

"Veronica Mars" Hangs with the Cool Kids

Comment

Thanks... it works now... great article!!!

Comment

Another good article. Thanks!

Comment

Reviews & More

Here's the place to post reviews of the show as they keep pouring in.

To start us off, this reviewer compares Veronica Mars to Buffy, and in almost comes right out and says that Veronica Mars is a better show. OMG!!!!!

Be warned... the article does mention events that have already aired in season one or two... so be warned if you are behind in your watching & don't want to know...

Comment

VM better than Buffy! Blasphemous!

But, I do like both shows equally. I don't think VM can replace Buffy. Buffy will always have a special place in my heart *tear*

Comment

Veronica Mars General Reviews & News

This is the place to post general reviews & news of our favorite little show Veronica Mars. So any great news stories generally talking about the show or reviews of the show as whole... please post 'em. Any news stories or reviews that you have no idea where else to post... why not post here???

To start us off... a great new review of the show as a whole... see excerpts below.

If Nancy Drew and Sam Spade had a daughter, she would probably be a lot like teenage detective Veronica Mars.

Intriguing storylines, razor-sharp wit and a talented young cast make "Veronica Mars" one of the best shows on television.

...The dry sarcasm of the script balances out the often disturbing plots of murder, rape and incest.

...In a cast made up primarily of young actors, Bell and Dohring stand out. Bell is spunky and thoroughly enjoyable to watch. She delivers her wry lines in a perfect deadpan tone. Bell also provides voiceover commentary throughout most of the show, conveying a world-weariness that would normally seem unrealistic coming from a teenager.

Dohring has the bigger challenge of making the arrogant Logan also be a sympathetic character. When Logan is being a jerk, Dohring speaks in a slow sneering tone. When Logan is vulnerable, Dohring's entire facial expression shifts to make him look scared and emotionally raw.
                              Pop Matters Review -
                              Hyper-masculinity, sexism, homophobia, offensive speech and distrust of institutions are some of the traits shared by rap culture and the American far right.

You don't want to make Veronica Mars (Kristen Bell) angry. Her revenge is swift, public, and humiliating. She wasn't always this way. She used to be a popular high school student, but a series of betrayals and tragedies turned Veronica into a complex, savvy outcast, and one of the most intriguing new characters of the fall tv season.

... Unlike other girl sleuths Nancy Drew and Chloe Sullivan (Smallville), Veronica's interest in solving mysteries is a function of circumstances. Dad's business and her own social survival depend on her ability to outsmart those who treat her and her father with scorn and ridicule.

... Neptune is nearly as specific a location as Sunnydale.

... For Veronica, power stems not from social position but from intellect; for Weevil, it comes from brute force. Allied, they can shake up Neptune's class system. The Two Americas, the series implies, can only become one when those who are marginalized outthink and outlast those at the center. The motivation behind this restructuring won't be noble, a mighty quest for justice. It will result from a desire to achieve some dignity in a social structure rigged against you. Equal parts intrigue, drama, and humor, Veronica Mars is also a lesson book for the disenfranchised. Few tv series aim so high; even fewer succeed so well.
                              USA Today Review -

Think Buffy. Or better yet, imagine one of those hard-boiled detective movies with Lauren Bacall doing the sleuthing instead of Humphrey Bogart.

Luckily for Veronica, she has sharp wits, steely nerves and a wicked sense of humor — along with a big dog to keep the bad guys in line. Luckily for us, UPN has found a terrific young actress to play this terrifically engaging character: Kristen Bell. Whether you buy the idea of teen crime-solvers or not, there's no questioning Bell's credentials as a TV star.
                              Blogcritics Review (slightly negative) -

UPN, in its drive to air a new teen show that'll pull in viewers, is clearly hoping Veronica will fill the considerable hole left by a departing Buffy Summers, but I'm not sure it helps the net to push the comparison over much. Sure, both shows are centered around spunky blond heroines (true to the hard-boiled detective tradition, Veronica Mars is narrated by its protagonist), but the stakes on each show are quite a bit different. Where the Buffster spent her nights averting Apocalypse and stunt fighting a variety of Long-Legged Beasties, Veronica's cases are more mundane: bullying, shoplifting and a stolen credit card. It's all believably teenaged, but part of the genius of Buffy lay in the way that show found convincing teen angst in unbelievable storylines.
                              NY Magazine Review -

She loves her father, but he’s keeping secrets. She hates her outcast status, but has too much respect for herself to compromise or curry favor. As conceived by executive producer Rob Thomas (Cupid), she is an odd and affecting amalgam of Holden Caulfield, Philip Marlowe, Miss Marple, and Sheena, Queen of the Jungle.

... One teen show I liked a lot, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, did become a hit, but I can’t pretend that I would have predicted such a fervent, even fanatical following, as though it were the Bhagavad Gita. If we can’t have a television series in which people of my own age contemplate whatever became of our notion of honor and our sense of decency, there ought at least to be a series reminding us of how hateful high school was to anyone odd, a serial saga somewhere between, say, Heathers and Clueless. Or brainwashing and foot-binding. Roswell tried, with aliens. Veronica succeeds, from Mars.
                              TV Guide Review -
                              http://www.tvguide.com/TV/Roush/Revi...62005&cmsGuid={020741B0-0ECE-4B89-BF25-2AE3D69189E9}&cmsSrch=true

Mars' payoffs come in many ways: in the clever blend of heart-stopping whodunit and heartfelt teen soap, in the witty dialogue for characters young and adult, and in the biting depiction of class and racial tensions among the haves and have-nots of Neptune, Calif.

Sly, scrappy, yet emotionally vulnerable, Bell makes Veronica the toughest, funniest, most sympathetic cult heroine since Buffy the Vampire Slayer (whose creator, Joss Whedon, appeared in a cameo).

... Veronica Mars is too original a show to be easily pigeonholed and too good to get lost against Lost.
                              TeeVee Review -

Mars wouldn’t let any character among its talented cast get away with being entirely “good” or “bad” — even Veronica herself. She was tough, smart and resourceful in pursuing Lily’s killer — but despite her reluctance, she was willing to use and manipulate the few friends she had, stretching their trust to the breaking point to further her investigation. Thomas allowed to see what, up until the season’s haunting final moments, Veronica couldn’t: Her search for Lily’s murderer was really an attempt to fix her own screwed-up life. And in that respect, it was doomed from the start.

... In fact, plenty of critics have called Mars the natural successor to Buffy. Me? I just don’t see it. Sure, both shows have tiny blonde high schoolers fighting evil with the occasional help of a platonic male buddy, a sweetly geeky computer expert, and a rogue cheerleader. Sure, both heroines are pining for their broody, forehead-intensive ex-boyfriends, whom they can’t sleep with for fear of disaster (in Mars’ case, because he might have been her half-brother. Yikes.) And yeah, both heroines briefly dated a stand-up guy in law enforcement before ditching him for a quasi-psychotic bad boy with a heart of gold. But that’s no reason to… I mean, uh… wait a minute. Never mind. (I should add that in Mars’ case, imitation — however coincidental — turned out to be the sincerest form of awesomeness.)

Slayer similarities or not, Veronica Mars is one hell of a show. It may not be flashy or high-budget, but its quiet excellence grows on you episode by episode, and it almost never disappoints. That makes it my pick (sorry, Lost) for the season’s best new series.
                              Digs Magazine Article -
                              Plot synopsis and review of Tampopo, brought to you by DigsMagazine, the home+living guide for the post-college, pre-parenthood quai-adult generation

... While it's not terribly difficult to make a complicated storyline, it's a tricky thing indeed to take those gazillion little pieces and make it fit together into a logical, believable whole. The first episode gives a big hint of show creator Rob Thomas' skill, but it's as the season progresses that you really begin to appreciate how elegantly all these disparate elements to the main story are slowly brought together, even as new facts and faces are constantly introduced. It's the rare show that can make a character do something that really, genuinely surprises you -- and have you believe wholeheartedly that the character's actions make complete sense. Nowhere is this aspect of the show's considerable charms more evident than in the character of Logan Echolls [the excellent Jason Dohring], Lilly's volatile ex-boyfriend and Veronica's nemesis, who starts off seeming like your stereotypical cocky mean rich kid and gradually becomes one of the most fascinating, unsettlingly appealing characters on the show.

The Buffy comparisons are, of course, impossible to ignore, but ultimately, it's the non-superhero-ness of Veronica Mars that makes this show especially great. Sure, Veronica's had some particularly crazy happenings in her life; certainly, the fictional town of Neptune, California has a kind of comic-book contrived feel to it (though in a fun way); yeah, most seventeen-year-olds are more likely to be working retail after school rather than lurking around motel parking lots with a camera and a big zoom lens. But Veronica's certainly not chasing around after demons with a pointy stick or getting personal messages from God; she doesn't have super-strength or magical spells or a direct line of communication with the powers that be. As sharp and determined as she is, Veronica's mostly just a regular teenager, clinging to childish fantasies that her parents will still get back together, learning that people aren't always what you expect, and being reminded constantly that no matter how smart you are, there's still a lot you don't know. Veronica's strength comes from stuff that's pretty accessible to ordinary mortals -- she thinks deeply, follows things through, believes in herself. In the end, the thing I really love about Veronica is that she kicks ass in a way that any of us could aspire to.
                              Post-Gazette Review -

Finally, something fans of "Nancy Drew" and "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" can agree on: "Veronica Mars," a TV show with a heroine who bridges the gulf between brainy sleuth and smart-mouthed, demon-destroying slayer.
                              Last edited by yellowqueen22; 11-19-2005, 01:05 PM.

Comment

thanks for posting all of those.. they have such good opinions.. now i'm wondering why not that many people watch it(it is such a great show it deserves many more viewers)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎