No announcement yet.

Episode 1.07: The Girl Next Door

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 1.07: The Girl Next Door

This was probably my least favorite episode for a long time. A large part of my dislike was the cliche mini-mystery of the week. This was the episode I found trite and boring. But rewatching it... I found some little gems. For instance... this has some of the best Logan sarcastic banter of the season... just look below. Additionally, Logan is once again somewhat redeemed for his jerkiness... he feels bad that Weevil is expelled and gets him back into school. This shows us that Logan's sarcastic banter is taunting and in jest... translate what we learn about Logan in this episode and you'll understand why I often say that Veronica and Logan were never really enemies.

This episode is also important because it is the first time Veronica is forced to question her actions... The episode ends with Veronica questioning her chosen path in life. In the pilot Veronica ends the episode in a voiceover telling us that it is her job to answer questions... this episode ends with a Veronica Voiceover questioning whether she should really be answering some questions. It's Veronica's growth... her ability to question herself and her actions... that makes her such a likeable feminine heroine.

Best Quotes:
    Clemmons: Mr. Echolls. I was wondering if I could have a word?
    Logan: "Anthropomorphic." All yours, big guy.
    Clemmons: Your father has generously offered to donate a pair of boots for a school fundraising auction.
    Logan: Not the ones made for walking? God, I love those boots.
    Weevil: If I was gonna cheat, don't you think I'd pick someone smart?
    Logan: If you "was gonna"?
    Weevil: Let me ask you something, man.
    Logan: Is this detention, or Hell?
    Weevil: How do you people not
    make yourselves sick? I mean, it's like you walk on water in this
    school. For what? It's nothing that you do. I mean, all that matters is
    who your parents are, and the zip code your mom shot you out in.
    Weevil: You like playing with yourself?
    Logan: Huh?
    Weevil: Or you wanna make things interesting?
    Mr. Daniels: Is this Reno, or detention?
    Logan: Would you believe the best of both?
    Mr. Daniels: This is punishment, gentlemen, not party time.
    Logan: Well that would explain the absence of balloon animals.
    Veronica: It sounded like a falling body. It really freaked me out.
    Keith: A falling body?
    Veronica: Yes. A falling body.
    Keith: Would you describe the sound as Hitchcockian?
    Lilly: You know... I don't know what you'd people do around here without me.
    Veronica: I wasn't aware this was clothing optional.
    Veronica Voiceover: I was part of a perfect couple... It was part of my perfect life... It's amazing how fleeting perfection can be.
    Nathan: You realize you're paranoid.
    Veronica: I do. Everyone reminds me. But it doesn't mean I'm not right.
    Veronica Voiceover: But can I let myself slide? Sure the real tragedy happened long before I came along... I just brought it to the surface... but are some things better left buried?

Just rewatched this episode today with the parents, getting them hooked in the show, and as I go through the season again with them, I might poke in and add my thoughts to these posts, if no one minds.

I agree, this episode had some of the more weak moments of the first season, but the character interactions were pure gold, especially Logan and Weevil. If those two ever team up, we're all doomed.

The overall Lilly mystery wasn't really advanced this episode, which also served to keep it lower in the quality, I think. A few tidbits here and there, but still a little slow on that front. However, there had to be some slow arc episodes, just to keep the pacing going for the end, it was just a shame that the weaker A story and the Lilly arc were paired together at once.

But even a weak episode of Veronica Mars, is still better than average tv.

J

Comment

Agreed... although the episode is weaker, it is still better than most of what is on tv.

I just rewatched the episode... and although it still isn't one of my favs, I grow to like it a little more each episode.

I suppose what makes it unlikeable to some extent is seeing Veronica acting so incredibly holier than though throughout the episode, especially when dealing with the boyfriend Andre, and then being completely wrong about the situation. While part of what I love about VM is the fact that they allow Veronica to be wrong... this episode really leaves the egg in Veronica's face.

Veronica can often be judgmental and mean. For her, this is a defense mechanism and often comes to here aid in solving a mystery. But in this situation, it just misguides her and makes her look cruel.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎