Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone NOT like the way that the Santa was potrayed as drunk and suicidal?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone NOT like the way that the Santa was potrayed as drunk and suicidal?

I was watching "Lexmas" and when Clark saw Santa I first thought this is gonna be really cute introduction to each other! What I first saw surprised and partly horrorfied me!

A Santa Claus that is DRUNK AND SUICIDAL!

I just sat there thinking "Oh my gosh! This is horrible!"

Some kids that watch this show, still believe in Santa, now they see him as a drunken guy who once wanted to kill himself?

My horror continued to Santa saying "All they do is take, take, take and b****, b****, b**** "

SANTA DOESN'T USE FOUL LANGUAGE!!!

My loving memory of my childhood was of a cheery, polite, good natured Santa Claus that spread Christmas cheer and gave hope to all people. So this kinda made me a little angry.

After they got over the "I'm gonna kill myself thing" and got into real conversation about how the meaning of Christmas, giving the toys and helping people, I REALLY liked THAT Santa Claus!

What does everyone else think?
    Last edited by Lana_Lang #1; 12-09-2005, 01:57 AM.

Sadly, a world of ungrateful lil' baztahds with no manners, has driven Santa Claus to drink.

Little Timmy has grown immune to "time-outs", & needs five across the lips.

......don't blame ME, that's just what Santa told me.

Comment

I agree, if that was the real Santa it is a little disconcerting. I prefer to think that he was either a nice krypto-freak or some other kind of "freak" that uses his powers to be Santa Claus every year, but finally gave up. He's not the real Santa in my mind.

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping he wasn't the true Santa that would do magical things at the end.... Oh well, it didn't ruin the episode, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by PaleBlueDot
          Could've been worse. They could have gotten Billy Bob Thorton to do his 'Bad Santa' routine.
          I just can't watch Gilmore Girls without picturing Lorelai and Santa.... eh well you know what I mean if you saw Bad Santa. Actually I can't watch Lauren Graham in anything anymore without thinking of that darn scene. That definetely scarred my vision of Santa also. Santa is no longer sacred on the WB for me! LOL.
          Last edited by jaime,oburg; 12-09-2005, 10:16 AM.

Comment

This is for everyone who is complaining about how Santa was portrayed in Smallville and did not like it.

Personally I thought it was pretty funny. (Thats just my sense of humor) But if you listen to what he was saying it all made sense. You are looking at someone who is the physical embodiment of Christmas. I'm only 26 and when I was a child Christmas was something magical something special. Where it wasn't about the latest ipod, xbox, playstation,plasma tv or random deficit increasing gift under the tree. It was about family and being around them on this joyful holiday. Receiving something materialistic was just an added bonus. This Santa was just expressing the fact this was all gone and that it would take more than him to fix this. (and he wasn't refering to some super-powered being helping him out) he was talking about the average joe believing in the true meaning of Christmas not standing in line at Best Buy ready to cut somebodies throat because they got the last of the latest gadget doohickie (yes I said doohickie). So for all of you who did not favor this version of Santa maybe you should look at yourselves and how society has changed Christmas.

For those who enjoy fan fics check out
            "DESTINY FULFILLED" & "DESTINY OVER LEGACY: DESTINY FULFILLED II" (work in progress)
            Last edited by Kal El A.K.A AKIRA; 12-09-2005, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I get what the true meaning of christmas is. A drunk and suicidal Santa wasn't extactly necessary to get that message across to society that has become too commercial IMHO. Merry Lexmas!

Comment

I think the purpose of having Santa in the drunken, suicidal state was so that the viewer could immediately dismiss any possibility that this is the real "Santa Claus," Making the later scene with Chloe more effective. I actually liked the Santa Claus sub-plot.

Comment

i liked it a lot, it was very surprising i don't think for sure if it was santa but i think they left it ambiguos

Comment

I thought -- drunk Santa, hackneyed, been there, done that, not interesting. Don't know why they did it. It was the low point in the show for me. A silly idea in an otherwise amazing episode.

Comment

The writers are making thier own Santa Claus legend, so they are not bound by traditional conceptions of him.

Comment

The only thing I didn't like was to have Santa Clause cuss. The movie Bad Santa was alright since it is an adult xmas comedy, and Billy Bob Thornton didn't portray the actual Santa Clause. But here in SV that was the actual Santa, and sorry I don't think the "actual" Santa should be cussing.

Having him drunk, and suicidal made since because of what is happening in the world and he was saved by the kindness of Clark and Chloe. That had the message, but cussing just felt.....wrong.

Comment

I believe his presence throughout Clark's AND Chloe's encounter with him was A TEST for them of their commitment to the GOOD and NOBLE cause of Christmas!

Him appearing and confronting Chloe as he disappeared with the Christmas presents solidify that implied premise!

Comment

Could It have been a ruse by St. Nick? You know pretend to be suicidal and drunk to find a person who sacrifices his "Christ"mas to help those unfortunate?

Comment

I cant say I blame Santa or disagree with anything he said.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎