Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    or

#11 Hair Issues - growing out is such a hard thing to do, VM S1/2 and Buffy S6

KryptonSite Moderator yellowqueen22's Avatar
    Los Angeles, Toronto or Other International Locati
    Another article comparing the two shows... I've included a small excerpt...

Let's face it, despite the incredible richness of the stories Whedon told on "Buffy" and "Angel," some folks were just never going to be down with TV shows involving demons, vampires and other assorted mutants. "Veronica Mars," on the other hand, has all of the trademarks of Whedon's shows: witty writing, great acting, strong plotting, a love of the unexpected and a ferocious devotion to emotional truth. And there are no monsters or demons to put off those who might find such fiends off-putting.

Still, it's easy to see why "Mars" inspires such fervent, "Buffy"-esque devotion: It's one of the best-written shows on TV. The show's ongoing mystery this year -- about a bus crash that killed several of Mars' classmates -- has been expertly handled, and the weekly mysteries are more whip-smart than ever.
    http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/t...elevision_heds

I understand the similarities and I am a stereotypical Buffy/VM fan. I also get the differences as have been mentioned in the aforementioned postings. What I get annoyed at is the constant referrals to BtVS in the articles and reviews.

Yes its a throwback to the pop culture references and quick quips of BtVS, a whole load of shows imitate this phenomenon. It just seems to me that not every show needs to be so repetitively linked with another. Bless Joss Whedon, his endrosement has been a reason why some lazy reporters have used that hook in their articles.

So I believe that everyone has a valid point, this is me - not sitting on the fence

Getting the vibe tonight and yes, it's a different show but Alias fell to the same comparsion when it first came on.

You wouldn't like me to post the articles & reviews anymore???? I can certainly stop... I just tend to post them when I come across them.

No no, not having a go at you YQ22

Just was expressing my general exasperation with the press for not doing any proper research and making gross generalisations..

Your articles are great!

Ok... thought you were pissed at me for posting them. I was wondering how I fell from your good graces and thread love so fast!!!!

I understand the frustration... it's a little overexposure. But that is what UPN & VM want. Why else would they have Joss Whedon, Alyson Hannigan & Charisma Carpenter on the show? I realize all of them are doing an excellent job... but there is a reason for the casting choices... and I'm sure a lot of it is to latch into the BTVS fans.

Defintely... James Marsters on Smallville has apppeared to raise their ratings.

I guess when you're onto a good thing...

... maybe you should give it a rest.

I half love it and half hate the fact that they're using another show as a jump point. I guess its keeping Joey alive but I would prefer people didn't associate the shows with one another. It brings in pro Buffy audiences but what about those people who didn't have any taste and look at the comparisons and don't give VM a chance?

My friend wasn't keen on Buffy and I gave her the DVDs and she loves it. If I had mentioned Buffy
    a) we would have argued that she was stupid not to like it, and
    b) she wouldn't have given it a go

This is my fear, even though I love Buffy alum. I guess if it positively affects ratings then I have to support it.

This is interesting, I never really thought the shows were similar but now that everyone's pointed them out I see there a lots of similarities between them. But I think the main similarity is that a young woman has lost her childhood view of the world and is in a new darker "adult" world. Veronica kind of awoke from a dreamlike teenage life when her friend was killed, to find that her hometown and neighbors aren't all as good and simple as she once believed - but darkness hides behind every corner and people aren't what they seem.
    Buffy had the the same theme, but all of it was hidden in metaphors and monsters- which you could watch without thinking about the meaning behind if you wanted.
    The main characters might look similar but IMO, Veronica, as a character is different than Buffy and how they deal with growing up in darker world is different. Buffy displayed more sadness and internal struggle, dislike of herself and her life and a sense of being trapped, and Veronica kind of takes things in stride most times, she doesn't seem to feel trapped or sorry for herself in her life, she focuses more on external things, probably as a coping tool. Not to say Veronica isn't as sad, she just hides it better. On a side note, Angel wasn't bland. He was my favorite He was a Bryonic Hero!

Originally posted by BlueJay
    I think that you forgot the obvious - they are both blonde! Hello! LOL

I think another one is the feeling of isolation and alone-ness. They both started off popular and somewhat vapid, a change to vampire slayer (or in VM's case a series of changes and occurances) alter their perception and standing in the world.

i don't really see veronica like buffy at all bsides their appearance and a few minor things. Logan definately reminds of spike however...

1: they both start out hating the lead female and taking their agressions out (logan's verbal abuse, smashing the car headlights, etc) (spike's constant attepmts to kill the slayer)

2: they eventually have to become allies with her (Logan needs help with his mom) (spike needs to get rid of angelus)

3:they are constantly getting beatup or, in spike's case tortured

4: they eventually fall for the girl, have a secret, stormy affair and then are dumped, then sleep with the wrong person (logan and kendell) (spike and anya)

5: they're both hot (what, it's true?)

6: they are both snarky and can be so mean and cruel but then extremely touching and caring

7: they both have parent issues (logan's dad sleeping with his girlfriend and then killing her) (spike's mom wanting to sleep with spike and the spike killing her)

the list can go on. maybe i'll add more later....

That's a good list.. I never thought of that...
    but Logan didn't obsess over Veronica for a while...

The shows are different... They are in different worlds... and have different meanings

8: both spike and logan were suppose to only be temporary characters, but became a big part of the show.

9. They both act as truthtellers (they always tell the other characters the hard truth... even if it is in a mean & snarky way)

10. They both accept their flaws quite willingly (they both know they are messed up, whine about it, but do little to fix their issues... almost as if they wear them as an "I'm tough" badge

11. They both resort to alcohol when hurt by a girl they love

It was a good try Jen, but I still don't see the shows as being overly similar. There are a few similarities here and there, but overall they have the feel of two different shows to me. In all honesty, I see more of a comparison between Veronica and Chloe, then I do Buffy and Veronica.

Chloe and Veronica are both hot blondes, that strive to find the truth in things, they are both computer savy and capable, and they both have the same sarchastic and witty attitude.

Buffy/Veronica Comparions :

1) I kinda agree with. Vernoica is definately hot. However, I don't find her to be an ass kicker or a master of weaponry. She is computer smart and very capable. But, what weapons has she actually used, and whose ass has she physically kicked? There is always a guy running to her rescue whether it is Weevil, Logan, etc.. Look at her run in with the Fitzpatrick's in this season. It took Logan charging in with the gun to get her out of the jam. Buffy would have wiped them all out. Also, she was running for her life from Aaron Echolls at the end of S1. Buffy would have taken it to him.

2) I don't really see VM having a Scooby Gang, because it is mainly Wallace who is there for her. Her father obviously has her back, but he is not part of the high school scene and Weevil is only shown sparatically. I don't really count Logan or Duncan as part of a Scooby Gang because they served as love interests. Now you make a good point with Mac because her personality is very similar to Willow, especially in the earlier seasons of Buffy. I still say that she is not around enough to be considered part of a Scooby gang. Xander and Willow were always around.

3) Can't argue with the comparion between Joyce and Keith. Although in this case, I like Keith as a character more than I do Joyce because Keith actually gets involved and works with his daughter at times. Joyce never really got into the thick of it all, but she did take an axe to Spike in School Hard..

4) The Big Bad is a topic that could provide for some discussion. Buffy had a clear, cut, villain for the season. Veronica Mars is more of a mystery show. I don't know if I see it as a Big Bad, as much as I do an overall mystery that needs to be solved. I have only seen 10 episodes of S2 but the main story for S2 is the bus crash and whose responsible. The show is more about Vernoica finding the truth, than battling a villain.

5) I wouldn't really compare any of the teachers that have helped Veronica on occasion to Giles, as Giles had a central role in Buffy's life. The argument for the Prinicipal is a good one, although it is not nearly as bad for Veronica as it was for Buffy with Principal Synder.

6) The high school angst and location is the same in both shows. I will give you that.
    Last edited by vyperman7; 03-31-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast