No announcement yet.

Veronica Mars vs. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vyperman7
    It was a good try Jen, but I still don't see the shows as being overly similar. There are a few similarities here and there, but overall they have the feel of two different shows to me.
    Actually, I agree with you completely. There are lots of similarities between the shows and you can see the Buffy influence on Veronica Mars, but obviously they are very different. The point of my comparison is more the overall similarity between the shows. But obviously Buffy fights her demons & monsters in real life, while Veronica fights her demons & monsters metaphorically. They are similar characters, but they do handle things differently.

In all honesty, I see more of a comparison between Veronica and Chloe, then I do Buffy and Veronica.

Chloe and Veronica are both hot blondes, that strive to find the truth in things, they are both computer savy and capable, and they both have the same sarchastic and witty attitude.
    As do many on this board... I wonder if it's because of the SV theme of this board... There is actually a thread or two about that on this board.
    The KryptonSite/KSiteTV forums are a place originally created to discuss the WB/CW series Smallville which expanded to cover all kinds of TV, movies, and more!

Talk about the many characters, shady, noble and otherwise, that populate the landscape of Veronica Mars. No spoilers here please, and remember this is discussion about the characters and not the actors playing them. Includes 'shipper threads

Buffy/Veronica Comparions :

1) I kinda agree with. Vernoica is definately hot. However, I don't find her to be an ass kicker or a master of weaponry. She is computer smart and very capable. But, what weapons has she actually used, and whose ass has she physically kicked? There is always a guy running to her rescue whether it is Weevil, Logan, etc.. Look at her run in with the Fitzpatrick's in this season. It took Logan charging in with the gun to get her out of the jam. Buffy would have wiped them all out. Also, she was running for her life from Aaron Echolls at the end of S1. Buffy would have taken it to him.

2) I don't really see VM having a Scooby Gang, because it is mainly Wallace who is there for her. Her father obviously has her back, but he is not part of the high school scene and Weevil is only shown sparatically. I don't really count Logan or Duncan as part of a Scooby Gang because they served as love interests. Now you make a good point with Mac because her personality is very similar to Willow, especially in the earlier seasons of Buffy. I still say that she is not around enough to be considered part of a Scooby gang. Xander and Willow were always around.

3) Can't argue with the comparion between Joyce and Keith. Although in this case, I like Keith as a character more than I do Joyce because Keith actually gets involved and works with his daughter at times. Joyce never really got into the thick of it all, but she did take an axe to Spike in School Hard..

4) The Big Bad is a topic that could provide for some discussion. Buffy had a clear, cut, villain for the season. Veronica Mars is more of a mystery show. I don't know if I see it as a Big Bad, as much as I do an overall mystery that needs to be solved. I have only seen 10 episodes of S2 but the main story for S2 is the bus crash and whose responsible. The show is more about Vernoica finding the truth, than battling a villain.

5) I wouldn't really compare any of the teachers that have helped Veronica on occasion to Giles, as Giles had a central role in Buffy's life. The argument for the Prinicipal is a good one, although it is not nearly as bad for Veronica as it was for Buffy with Principal Synder.

6) The high school angst and location is the same in both shows. I will give you that.
    1) Sure Veronica isn't "physically" kicking ass. But she goes after the bad guys relentlessly and in the end, perhaps after some mishaps, she always gets the bad guy. Yes, she has gotten scared at times and had problems, but you have to remember that she doesn't have Buffy's super powers and Buffy herself has messed up at times.

2) As for the Scooby Gang... I've said it myself time and time again... even in this thread... that I don't think they are that alike. The main difference is that Veronica is very unwilling to let people help her or let them get close to her. Whereas one of the major themes of Buffy was that she was so powerful because of the people that stood by her and were loyal to her.

3) Definately!!! Keith is much more present and accepting of his daughters lless than normal status. Joyce came around and was a great mom, but Keith was a fabulous father right from the get go.

As for items 4-6, I'll agree with you on those.

Comment

there is more

this is really just point-form, details later if anyone actually is interested lol. good job YQ on all the other good points.

Xander: doesn't have much friends, or any speciality, loves Cordiella
      Wallace: doesn't have much friends, or any specialtiy, loves Jackie

Cordelia: first popular and was Bitc*y, was sort of rich, then became good, moved to LA and became poor.
      Jackie: first popular and was Bitc*y and rich, then became good, then moved to NY, became poor.

Mayor Wilkins: Human-eater, bad guy, and dies in the end(in an explosion)
      Mayor Woody: child-molester, bad guy, dies in the end(in an explosion)

Principal Snyder: bad guy, gets killed...gets replaced
      Principal Moorehead: bad guy, gets fired, gets replaced

Principal Wood: becomes the new principal ... good guys helps out buffy
      Principal Clemmons: becomes the new principal ... good guy, as in not leaving babies in washrooms.

Anya: weird!
      Gia: weird!

----------------------------------------
      This part is probably going to get me in trouble due to little detail, and missing details but oh well...lol

Veronica mars:

1)Duncan:1st serious love interest/ went crazy/ brokeup/ dated/ left neptune
      2)X-men dude: 2nd serious love interest/ became bad(drugs)/ brokeup/ met up later reformed.
      3)Logan: 3rd serious love interest/ first evil/ dated/ brokeup(because of evil ways)/ sparked back/

Buffy TVS:

1)Angel: 1st serious love interest/ went crazy-evil/ brokeup/ then left Sunnydale(I know I am missing something during the earlier season but can't remember lol)
      2)Riley: 2nd serious love interest/ became bad(vampire whore-house)/ brokeup/ meet up later reformed.
      3)Spike:3rd serious love interest/first evil/dated-slept/brokeup(because of evil ways, rape)/ sparked back.

so with some weird math formula that I obviously didn't use, we get these results.

1) Duncan=Angel
      2) X-men dude=Riley
      3) Logan= Spike.
      Last edited by Mysticlies; 05-21-2006, 10:33 PM.

Comment

I also thought that Mac parelled Willow. They are both smart and a bit awkard. However I think Wallace is far from any Buffy character as well as some of the others.

I actually may like VM better than Buffy now...

Comment

Originally posted by Mysticlies

so with some weird math formula that I obviously didn't use, we get these results.

1) Duncan=Angel
          2) X-men dude=Riley
          3) Logan= Spike.
          I love the mathematic forumlas...

BTW... X-Men Dude is actually his twin brother Shawn Ashmore, he is Aaron Ashmore... and his character's name is Troy...

Comment

Duncan is not Angel, Troy is not Riley, and Logan is not Spike.

At least for me.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎