Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is probably blasphemous, but...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is probably blasphemous, but...

Originally posted by drwood
    the best guest star in Smallville so far IMO is James Marsters...even better than Christopher Reeve (R.I.P.). I'd be interested in hearing other people's thoughts (please no personal bashing).
    I must say I agree, but Reeve is working from some disadvantage in comparing the two men.

His part of Swann was so limited it's really hard to compare them, but as anyone who's read my reviews would know, I think Marsters is a brilliant Fine and I love it whenever he's on screen.

I wish Smallville had been able to have Reeve on several times last season, like they had apparently planned on before his untimely death, but it was not to be.

Sad.

Comparing Reeve's Swann and Marsters Fine is like comparing apples and oranges, there is really very little basis of comparison.
    Last edited by triplet; 11-26-2005, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Marsters has done a great job in the role. He has definately has been the scene stealer in every scene he has been in. So far, with the acception of the introduction of the FOS in Arrival, Marster's portrayal of Fine/Brainiac has been the best thing about S5.

Christopher Reeve was awesome as Dr. Swann. But even though he is the former "Man of Steel", and even though he was great as a guest star, his screen time was severly limited. I agree that the vote should not be given to Reeve just because he used to play Superman, or that he passed away.

The point of the poll was to see who has done the best job with their character, and had the most impact. Marsters has had more screen time, done an amazing job with the character, and made a true impact to the show. Don't get me wrong. Christopher Reeve definately made an impact. But not nearly as big a one as Marsters has.

I would have to say that my top five favorite guest stars have been :

1) James Marsters
      2) Christopher Reeve
      3) Michael McKeon(Perry White)
      4) Kyle Gallner
      5) Ryan Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by vyperman7
        I agree that the vote should not be given to Reeve just because he used to play Superman, or that he passed away.
        To which I completely agree. He just had charisma, an aura that cannot be duplicated.
        If you look simply at character impact, they both had great impact respectively.
        No other person has shed more light on Clark's origins that Dr. Swann. His knowledge was found and researched, which in itself is amazing.

Until the Fortress of Solitude scene, I didn't see anything of great impact from Fine. Am I missing something?
        And when/where/how does Brainiac fit into the equation with Fine?
        Other than this site, I saw no mention of a connection.

Originally posted by drwood
        Well, it was nice what CR did after he was paralyzed...I would have liked to see him do more to help others before his accident...its obvious he had the resources, will and drive to do so long before he became a quadraplegic.

As for Marsters, I have never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but on Smallville, he simply has been the best character. I think if you simply compare the characters of Prof. Milton Fine and Prof. Virgil Swann, that Fine is better. However, the whole CR being Superman + the CRPF is what I think skews people to preferring CR.
        I still don't understand what you mean by "better."
        What about Fine/Marsters was so great?
        (No insult intended, I just don't see it and would like to be enlightened.)

Comment

Originally posted by nevra
          No other person has shed more light on Clark's origins that Dr. Swann. His knowledge was found and researched, which in itself is amazing.
          I also think CR's episodes were powerful, not only because they contributed so much to the mythology, but also because Swann was such an enigmatic character. As much of a mystery as Jor-El. I never figured that guy out, and I'm sorry we didin't get to see more of him. I found his portrayal both realistic and fascinating.

Comment

To which I completely agree. He just had charisma, an aura that cannot be duplicated.
            If you look simply at character impact, they both had great impact respectively.

Until the Fortress of Solitude scene, I didn't see anything of great impact from Fine. Am I missing something?

Well, yeah... Fine didn't really show his hand until the FOS. He was basically biding his time until he could win Clark's trust so that he could find out where the FOS was or (better yet) have Clark take him there so that he could fool Clark into destroying the Fortress so that Zod could be released.

I love James Marsters.

Reeve was great and his appearances on Smallville were wonderful, but his screen time was so limited... It's really like comparing apples and oranges. But forced to choose, I still pick Marsters as the best guest star.

And when/where/how does Brainiac fit into the equation with Fine?
            Other than this site, I saw no mention of a connection.
            Fine is Brainiac...

I still don't understand what you mean by "better."
            What about Fine/Marsters was so great?
            (No insult intended, I just don't see it and would like to be enlightened.)
            He just adds so much to the scenes he's in and is a total joy to watch.

Comment

How come Tom Welling as Clark Kent is not on the list ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kryptonian-Ronin
                  How come Tom Welling as Clark Kent is not on the list ?

I voted for James Marsters, though CR was a close second. JM did a fabulous job with Milton Fine -- pure evil.

Comment

WOW. This is an old thread

Comment

I know I should really be saying Christopher Reeve but I have to go with James Marsters!!!

Comment

It doesn't get any better than James Marsters but Christopher Reeves is a close second. Ryan Kelley gets an honorable mention because that young man's acting ripped my heart out.
                        Last edited by BAMAGIRL; 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM.

Comment

James Marsters was awesome in every scene he had in the show. "Homecoming" was the best possible ending for him on the show.

Comment

Originally posted by BoyScout-ManOfTomorrow
                            James Marsters was awesome in every scene he had in the show. "Homecoming" was the best possible ending for him on the show.
                            Agreed!

Comment

I think I loved every guest star that has appeared on the show!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎