Solitude, Good or Bad?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were a bit heavy-handed with the product placement (though not as bad as with the contact lenses in 'Vengeance') and the character motivations came out of left field in one particular instance. As I usually write fics that are not AU, I tend to follow character traits and character knowledge based on how and where they were at any given time.

In this one, it's hard to work out where Lois' hostility towards Lex comes from. She was badly written in the Talon scene with Lex when she was arguing her case against Lex ("maybe you just want to own the government"). It comes over as childish and unreasoned, and based on events in past episodes, her resentment has no obvious basis. On the face of it, Lex hasn't done anything (that she knows about) for her to be so resentful - something he points out to her.

In the previous season's 'Lucy', Lex went out of his way to help her find Lucy. Even if he had an ulterior motive, his help was genuine and he was sympathetic towards Lois when Lucy took off in Lex's car at the end. In the season 5 premiere 'Arrival', it was Lex who brought Chloe back from Alaska. And in 'Aqua', Lois never learned about the weapon being developed by Lex than AC wanted to put a stop to. In all these instances, there is nothing to be resentful of, and certainly nothing to suggest a yearning on Lex's part to 'own the government'.

In later seasons, Lois' mistrust and resentment is well founded given what Lex had been doing but at this stage, it needed to be made more clear why she had a problem with him. Maybe when he was doing his photo shoot at the Talon, he made comments which suggested he was in thrall to big business and somewhat power-hungry, and this got Lois annoyed, but nothing of the sort was shown. Lex retaliated with the brilliant 'muffin peddling college dropout' line (which was technically accurate) but as I say, it was in retaliation to the hostility she'd shown him.

Comment

Working...
    X
    😀
    🥰
    🤢
    😎
    😡
    👍
    👎