Like it/Hate it, what did you think? Reviews of Splinter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Splinter was 1 of my favorite episodes. A silver Kryptonite rock is mailed to Lana, and she thinks it's from Lex (when actually it was Milton Fine who sent the silver Kryptonite rock). It cuts Clark's finger and he gets a splinter inside of him. He becomes paranoid and thinks everyone is against him, including his father and mother. Clark throws his mother and father around, and Chloe saves the day with green Kryptonite. I love it when Martha asks Chloe: "Chloe, how long have you known about Clark's secret?" Chloe answers, "About a year." Jonathan responds with, "How much did Clark tell you about himself?" Chloe says, "I think he told me everything."
    Clark comes to Lana and says, "You're the only 1 I can trust." He tells her that he thinks Chloe and his Mom and Dad are against him. Actually he thinks Chloe told Lionel Luthor his secret, and that his Dad, Jonathan accepted money from Lionel for Jonathan to become a Senator, if Jonathan told Lionel Clark's secret.
    Clark thought he saw Lana and Lex kissing one another, and that Lex was plotting against him. He throws Lex around, and goes after Lana and almost strangles her. Milton Fine saves the day by taking the splinter from Clark's shoulder. He says, "If you hurt Lana, it'll destroy you." He tells Clark that he is from the planet Krypton, also. Clark tells him, "I thought I was the only Son from Krypton, but you people keep on popping up." I loved the quotes from Splinter, especially all the ones that are listed in the Splinter Quotes thread. After Milton Fine takes the splinter out of Clark, he feels better, and no longer feels paranoid. I loved the part with Chloe saying to Clark, "You think I told Lionel. I would never do that! I'd die before I'd ever betray you, Clark," and "You know I have to admit that for once I'm glad I'm not the object of your desire."
    I also loved the speech between Clark and Milton when Milton talked about "humans" as if they were something bad. Clark had an intelligent line: "You don't know anything about this race. Yeah, they can be petty, and dishonest and betray each other over nothing, but they can also be honest and loyal, and they would give up everything to protect someone they love, even if they are from another planet. My name is Clark. I'll always believe in my friends (Pete & Chloe) and my family (Jonathan & Martha Kent)." I didn't mention Lana, because she doesn't know Clark's secret. I loved this episode. it's one of my favorites.

Comment

One of the great smallville episodes. I've noticed there's a poll about which performance was better Lex in shattered or Clark in Splinter. MR and Lex wins hands down still! Clark did great in this episode though. Alot to talk about.

We start with some of the quite hilarious paranoid dellusions Clark suffered after being infected by the silver meteor. He was paranoid about pretty crazy stuff like "you were that thing I found in a cornfield" coming from his father, how he was going to be used as a "lab rat" and the most painful, seeing Lex and Lana kissing lol. At one time I started to believe it myself lol because the way the plot was brilliantly delivered.

There is an element of truth to the paranoid experiences particularly about what he said to Lex. "It all makes sense now...see lex I thought you were obssessed with me....but it's not about me at all is it?..It's about Lana...It's always been Lana...and all the digging, all the tests, all the other things u do to me was just to get me out of the way so you can have her all to yourself". Clark might have looked crazy when saying that but noticing from Lex's brilliant expressions (so gripping) I bet he's thinking all this was bottled up inside him for some time. I mean another example after he offered Lana to examine Clark to see what's wrong with him he goes, "Clark we need to get you to the lab". Now while I've always sympathized with Lex all these years I got the feeling it was another one of those ulterior motives. Clark responds sarcastically: " We should get to the lab....we should get to the lab so you can experiment on me!" As paranoid as it seems, deep down somewhere in Lex's mind he wants that to be the case. I agree however that there is some good in him still and he's determined to help Clark despite their somewhat broken on/off friendship and he still wants that to come back.

I agree with one of the topics that it's no wonder Lex becomes a villain because of the way sometimes people make false judgements and accusations about him especially when he's trying to be good. Sooner or later he's going to crack and say enough is enough, the world is against me and I'm going to take all that anger out inside me. It just sums up the tragic life of Lex Luthor brilliantly portrayed by MR as a tortured soul. To add insults to wounds, his father Lionel while his somewhat changed character is to teach Lex hard lessons about "apetite for power" he's going about it the wrong way. He should be having father son talk about where his life is heading reach out to him and helping through his battered soul. I guess Lex is refusing to listen or trust his father...i guess maybe that's why Lionel is seeking different methods. Maybe he's trying to wrestle power from Lex who knows but Lionel as we know is the vessel of Jor El for a reason so he must be acting for the greater good...not necesarrily helping his son at the same time though.

I got emotional watching Lex expressions at the end as a battered soul and his smart-ass father says "Those Kents pack quite a punch don't they son?" and then to add to injury:

"This isn't about serving the greater good, or even about power, it's about you changing the way people perceive you isn't it? That's why you are running for office. Even if you were President of the United States do you think that is going to make any difference? Because the people who are closest to you will always know what's truly in your heart. That's why Lana Lang will never truly love you son."

(this is one of my favourite lines this episode) Lex's expressions were brilliant yet again. I felt sorry for him.

Again Lionel knows his son more than anyone and there is an element of truth to what he says. Nobody actually truelly knows what goes on in Lex's head or heart. It's blatant that he has deep feelings for Lana and you can tell by now he's expressing it by playing her along with "everything I've done..it's been to protect you" and that "if anything ever happens to you...I'll never forgive myself". I'm quite surprised Lana and even Clark from previous episodes haven't noticed it. It's obvious he has feelings for her and had those feeling bottled up for a long time.

Moving on to Lana. While at first I classed her as the sweet, cute old Lana and that she's not really impacting the story especially between the two main character i.e. Lex and Clark, I'm going to change my mind after watching the seasons several times. I adored Lana at first and her on/off relationship with Clark had added to the interest to the storyline throughout these years. I have to agree with most she's whiny ***** and most of all a hypocrite. Why didn't she tell Clark when it came to the spaceship? All those years of her whining about Clark not being honest with her are coming back to haunt her. At first I supported her stance but watching closely all these years it's no wonder Clark never trusted her even if he was trying to protect her. Ok she's trusting Lex with this secret because he told her the truth but it's doing her harm than good if she's not telling clark. Clark has very good reasons to second guess his feelings towards her if he can trust her especially when she starts confiding with a quite devious Lex Luthor. I haven't finshed my criticism just yet. I'll save the Lana discussion until later episode discussions.

On to Braniac....James Marsters was great in this episode. He setup the whole thing to gain more knowledge of how much Clark "has been influenced by these humans" with their "duplicit nature". He's been trying to get close to Clark and learning everything about his life, those close to him and uses his distrust of Lex to further increase their bitter disputes by helping uncover the devious secrets of Luthorcorp and Lex's deep dark intentions for the future. Clark replies to him in an assertive manner with a great answer (line) about the impact humans have had on him especially those close to him..that not everything is so black and white. As Clark refuses to reject his destiny the way Braniac sees it, it might be this soo called "friendship" and "trust" between them or this kryptonian relation that now Milton Fine might use to exploit. He'll will use this weakness of Clark (i.e. care for humans) and the belief he can trust him (Braniac) to cynically further his aims as we learn in the next episode.
      Last edited by Bilza; 11-12-2008, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Good episode!#3 on my top 3.Liked the new kryptonite,liked brainic and the ending was tight

Comment

"Splinter" rocked! It had some of Tom Welling's best acting moments on the series, and the plot kept me guessing all along until the big Milton Fine reveal at the end of the episode. The Chlark interaction at the hospital was beautiful to see, too... I give this 10 out of 10 silver meteor rocks of anxiety-inducing craziness!

Comment

This one upped the ante. A paranoid Clark is a scary Clark.

Comment

One of the better episodes in a lackluster season. Tom was superb as paranoid Clark.

Comment

LOVED it! This was a very strong episode and Tom Welling was great in it. Smallville does a pretty good job when it comes to "dark" episodes like this one. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time!

9 out of 10

Comment

A good episode. Clark gets infected by "Silver Kryptonite" (a plot device that I'm glad that they didn't reuse as often as red K) and starts having paranoid fantasies. All part of Brainiac's plan, that he tries to complete in the next episode.

Mixed feelings about Clark's initial instinct, about talking to Lex about it, when it looks like a strange black car is following both Clark and Fine. On the one hand, it makes him seem a bit naive. On the other, how often have we seen plots of TV shows and movies, where a conflict could've been resolved in five seconds by two characters talking to each other? So, it makes Clark engaging in rational thinking... for the moment.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎