Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lois vs. Chloe: Who is the better reporter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sorry, I just didn't see "budding reporter" in Lois last night. Yes, I saw some of the derring-do that makes Lois take risks and jump head first into situations before thinking through, which is something canon Lois does. But there are great reporters who don't act that way.

Comment

True -- but I thought as far as the Lois character goes, it's her jumping into the middle of things that's her trademark.

Comment

Well, considering the fact what we didn't see last season we saw a lot more hints.

Oops morning bell rang time to go substitute 3rd graders. seeya later.

Comment

Hmm, I'm not so sure that this episode in particular evinced much about Lois' ability to report or investigate. She had a few good moments.

But what I thought that it did show was how much Chloe is unsuited to this job. Taking that tip by herself so that she might advance her career was unethical and reckless. Shoving Lois into the lion's den was also reckless. The way in which she attempted to interview the strippers was clumsy, bordering on inappropriate, and showed how much Chloe lacks people skills. She didn't put those girls at ease at all.

In real life, taking that tip would not have gotten her a byline. She would have been reprimanded and fired immediately. Her job was to man the phonelines and relay the tips to the real reporters at the DP, and not use the tips to further her own career. There might even have been criminal charges if they had determined that her cavalier attitude and failure to take proper action in any way contributed to the death of Melissa.

And then at the end the only thing she cared about was her byline. She's not about truth and justice, she's about recognition.

Comment

In real life, Lois would have been dead in her hand-to-hand combat routines and could not last one round in Ultimate Fighting, but we are talking fantasy here.

In fantasy, it is Chloe who is the prime mover of the investigation and Lois the video gamer with an enhanced body is the follower. Chloe finds and leads to the club (Lois is just the body that tags along), Chloe is the one leading the way to the office and files (Lois is fairly clueless thus far), Chloe is the quick thinker when they get caught (Lois is what, dumbstruck?), and then Chloe begins talking with the dancers (within the time constraints of a TV show), and Lois makes a very laughable on-stage appearance as a non-stripper.

I will give credit to Lois who brought a couple of good points to the detective, as a relatively priviledged dependent of Daddy, she had an idea of what expensive things cost. No doubt she and her criminal sister Lucy have cost Dad a small fortune. However, after Lois' fantasy Xena moments, it is Chloe who nails the deal to get the bad guy arrested. Lois didn't have a clue. And now Lois moves into the Talon, a place that is the result of all of Lana's creative talents and ambition while still a high school girl NOT dependent on her Daddy.

Comment

Chloe has the discipline and the ambition to be a good reporter, but Lois has the guts and the instinct, which, if tapped, would make her an even better reporter than Chloe. If she (Lois) ever shows any interest, I can just see her going for the jugular every time. However, with what's going on right now in SV I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chihiro
                Chloe has the discipline and the ambition to be a good reporter, but Lois has the guts and the instinct, which, if tapped, would make her an even better reporter than Chloe. If she (Lois) ever shows any interest, I can just see her going for the jugular every time.
                Well said.

And I think both Lois and Chloe played an important role in solving the mystery -- each using her own approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Chihiro
                  Chloe has the discipline and the ambition to be a good reporter, but Lois has the guts and the instinct,
                  We've seen Chloe's guts and instincts too, in the past. She has broken into varous places (and taken heck for doing something so stupid and reckless on this very board). She's also jumped instinctively to some pretty dead-on conclusions (based on the facts she had) over the seasons, which have helped to solve quite a few mysteries, and stop several FOTW.

I think what has happened is that, now that Lois is on the show, they have given a lot of Chloe's impulsiveness to Lois.

Also, about Lois asking "good" questions, every time Chloe and Lois do an investigation scene together, I get the very strong feeling that, realizing Lois needs something to do/say in those scenes, they take dialog that would've been all Chloe's and split it between the two girls.
                  Last edited by Dannyblue1; 11-04-2005, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Watching Smallville
                    Well said.

And I think both Lois and Chloe played an important role in solving the mystery -- each using her own approach.
                    Thanks.

I agree.
                    Last edited by Chihiro; 11-04-2005, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I think BOTH of them have good points when it comes to having journalism instincts. Lois is definitely does have them even though in SV she doesn't know it yet and may not have the drive to be a reporter yet. I read a post a while ago that I really liked reading. It stated that with Lois being a reporter didn't mean to become the best reporter but to strive to stand up to do what is right and write the wrongs and get them noticed,. For turth and juctice. She wanted to do something about the corruption and crime and she did by getting down to nitty gritty of it all and writing about it.

For Chloe, journalism is her passion. When she took the phone calll from the stripper, I think she wanted to help more than anything. I don't think it was just about the byline on the newspaper. IMO, Chloe is alot more compassionate than that. She wanted to see what kind of help she can do because she can tell that the stripper was in trouble. She knows its not like working at the "Torch" but working in the DP is actually a dream come true for her. She isn't some ruthless budding reporter trying to a byline in the front page, she actually cares and really digs deeper.

Now I think they make a great team, just like the female version of the Hardy Boy or something. But I think that are both equally better reporters that they bring something to each other everytime they worked together. Which I always enjoy seeing in every scene they are together. I think their investigative team efforts is a percursor of coarse to Clark/Lois of metropolis.

I'm sure Lois's journalism instincts will kick in next year or very soon. right now , I think the Lois of SV is trying to find her knack in world.

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyblue1
                        Also, about Lois asking "good" questions, every time Chloe and Lois do an investigation scene together, I get the very strong feeling that, realizing Lois needs something to do/say in those scenes, they take dialog that would've been all Chloe's and split it between the two girls.
                        I agree. The writters seem to be having a difficulty in reconciling Lois Lane the icon with Lois Lane in SV.

I really admire the Chloe Sullivan character, especially during the Torch days. She IS tenacious, and after watching four seasons of SV we all know what her goal is in life. She's also had her share of mistakes. There's an earlier post that mentioned in a major daily, Chloe would not have gotten the byline while being the tipster at the same time. That is very true for a big newspaper.

I hope the show makes up its mind on who the ace reporter would be. If they want it to be Chloe in Smallville but hint at Lois' future career, then they'd have to do a better job with that arc. As it is, Lois can't spell (established in Season 4 Facade, I think). While reporters are not expected to be perfect, they DO have to show a mastery of the language they're using, or else how would they make us believe they got the meat of the story?

I guess it's just a bit of bias as for the first three seasons I had subconsciously assigned Chloe the role of an early Lois Lane. I admit that now. Hahaha.

Comment

Wow. I didn't watch the same episode apparently, because I didn't see *any* advancement for Lois as reporter in this episode.
                          I give her the standing up to Sawyer, but the expensive shoe revelation was earth-shattering.
                          She didn't discover who the baddie was, he took her. He pointed her to the closet. She didn't snoop, the shoebox was right there, in the open. The only thing not in the scene was a big neon sign that said "Look in the shoebox!"

What did Chloe do? Got the name of the victim, figured out where she worked, got them in the club, got the license plate, talked to the girls, got the baddie's address, helped Clark to find the passport, located the helipad and finally, after Clark, lois and Sawyer are resigned to the fact the baddie gets away scot free, she tips Interpol off and finally gets the bad guy.

Chloe is the better reporter, hands down.

It would have been nice for the writers to try to advance Lois in the jouranlism direction, but again, they chose not too. No offense to Durnace, but for now, imo, ED being Lois on the show is strictly for giving nods to Superman mythos and T & A.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashFan
                            It would have been nice for the writers to try to advance Lois in the jouranlism direction, but again, they chose not too. No offense to Durnace, but for now, imo, ED being Lois on the show is strictly for giving nods to Superman mythos and T & A.
                            Erica Durance clearly has talent. I wish they'd give her more screen time.

Comment

Chloe *is* a reporter. Lois is not. Chloe got the lead, acted on it, investigated, and wrote the story. Lois did what Chloe exactly what Chloe made her to so she could get her story. It's kind of funny that Chloe is getting both Lois and Clark to do her bidding.

Comment

I canīt believe you guys!
                                All this time it was, Chloe the reporter number 1, which she is, and after one time of watching Lois do a striptease and itīs all about how she is a better reporter than Chloe! Give me a break! Being a reporter isnīt just about doing the fun undercover things, itīs also for the most part about research, long hours in front of a computer, and other boring tiresome stuff, that you have to have patience, subtlety, and indurance for! Not to mention that there is a great writer and a good writer, and while Lois maybe a good writer (we saw that in the īplastic surgeryīepisode in season `4), but Chloe is a great reporter; partly because she has been doing it most of her adult life and knows how to us language to achieve the best effect!
                                Frankly, right now, compared to Chloe, Lois just doesnīt cut it! I am not saying that she doesnīt have potential, and her time will come, but that time is not now! Maybe in the future, she and Chloe would be close in the run for the best reporter, but right now, Chloe is winning head on!
                                As for this particular episode, last time I checked it was Chloeīs idea for Lois go undercover, so you canīt really give her credit for that either!
                                I am sure that had Chloe been more comfortable with showing her body, she would have done it herself, but she isnīt so she had Lois do the job!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎