Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad Lex... Is Clark To Blame?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol i was thinking this the other day that clark is just to blame as anyone in lex turning evil, all the lies and the secrets he keeps from lex make lex g ocrazy not knowing the answers so he keeps on searching for answers. but really lex is the one who develops weapons for the military and so on clarks lies may have driftedthem apart but in the end its lex who turns evil.

Comment

Well, Clark and Lex are the classic hero/villain archetypes. In a lot of myths, the hero and the villain sort of exist because of one another.

Hence, Lex comes into being thanks to Clark's ship singing off his hair and throwing his life in chaos...

...and Clark must take up man's struggle against evil as long as evil influences like Lex pervade Earth.

Most of Lex's time is spent trying to destroy Superman. You know, without him there are no real challenges, no equal opponents, etc etc.

Lex in the antithesis of what Clark rejects and is his total opposite. Lex has no morals or restraints, he just does what he wants regardless of consequences.

I do believe Clark has had a hand in Lex's darkening, just because he is so turned off and disgusted with Lex's actions over and over that he stops reaching out to him.

Comment

I think Clark is vastly responsible for Lex's turn. Lex has always been struggling with the question on whether or not he is worth saving. He knows that he is a Luthor, and in the beginning he fought against his family legacy, to become more than just another shark in the waters. Clarks friendship gave him hope that he was something more than what his father had been forming him to be.

But even Clark, the man who saves everybody, including his enemies, wouldn't save Lex. Revealing his identity to Lex would have been a significant risk, but it would have signifed to Lex that Clark viewed him as being more than just a Luthor, but as a real person.

What has that done to our darkening antagonist, but to reinforce that he is unworthy of being anything other than what he was fated to be? In the end, Clark could have saved Lex with a simple act of sacrifice, but was unwilling to do so to serve his own selfish ends. What worse is that Clark is willing to make that sacrifice for others, just not Lex. Lex was completely honest with Clark until SuperPlaid started lying to him left right and centre. Why? Not because Clark didn't like Lex, but because he didn't trust Lex's family name. Lex put forward an honest effort to change, and was defeated by fact that he was a Luthor, not his character or his own earnest desire.

Who's to say what could have happened if Clark had confided in Lex, built trust with him and stood as the example against evil and the insidious LionelCorp. Lex would have had a real friend, his only friend, to help him get a grip on what it means to have power and be responsible with it. To have part in a family that nurtures instead of tests.

Instead Clark made a concious decision to let Lex stand on his own and get butchered by the trials of experience. Pretty sure that's going to come back and haunt him, we are as responsible for the things we do as we are responsible for the things we don't do.

Comment

Yeah, but Lex is obsessed with power. I do not doubt that he would have taken advantage of Clark's secret for his own purpose if the chips were down. Clark may have been right at least in hiding it from him. His instinct was likely right.

Comment

I always thought it was Lional who was to blame sort of like behaviour breeds behaviour but if Clark is the one who turns Lex bad its all good in a dramatic sense. plus as mentioned his thirst for knowledge and power, hes quite driven and he will do anything to get there. I think really hes always been bad inside but just a case of hitting the switch
            Last edited by DARKRAGE; 10-25-2005, 03:14 PM.

Comment

I think Clark is to blame, but not in the way people have been blaming him. In Crusade we saw Kal-el demish and Clark take dominance after they were (partially) split by black K and recombined as one while Clark held the black K.

In Onyx Clark turns Alexander's green K black with heat vision causing the two Lexs to recombine, with Alexander possesing the black K; ergo Alexander now has dominance over Lex.

Comment

Not to change the subject, but on the SV season 3 DVD there was (I think) an interesting SV comic inclusion where it shows Lex waiting for Clark while in Belle Reeve. He fantasizes about ordering Clark to break him out and terrorize the security guards like he's his personal pet monster, and later chides himself for wanting to exploit him. It was very interesting and showed Lex's initial instinct to use his intellect to boss Clark around.

Comment

No I don't think Clark is to blame, maybe Lex would take longer to change to a villian if they remained friends Longer- but Lex was destined to be Evil, his entire life led him to this point- the only way it could have be different is way back in his childhood, or if he was not born a Luthor, but what fun would that be.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex n' Lana
                    No I don't think Clark is to blame, maybe Lex would take longer to change to a villian if they remained friends Longer- but Lex was destined to be Evil, his entire life led him to this point- the only way it could have be different is way back in his childhood, or if he was not born a Luthor, but what fun would that be.
                    People aren't born evil, they become evil out of a combination of heridity AND environment. Like Lex said, his friendship with Clark keeps his dark side at bay, so I happen to think that if they remained good friends he wouldn't have gone bad. But it's purely hypothetical. BOTH Lionel and Clark are to blame in some ways, and that's what makes Lex's turn so tragic is that it's not all his fault.

Comment

I never said it was all his fault, and I also said he would have been different if his childhood was better, of course no one is born evil, never said he was, only in the story of Superman is Lex destined to be evil. Yes Lionel is to blame for some of it, but I can't really blame Clark for the turn of lex to the dark side. Expect for not telling him the truth about his origin, Clark has tried to be friends with Lex, and Clark has kept this secret from everyone, he only told Pete because he had to at the time. Its Lex's nature at this point to seek out answers about unexplained things (Clark) and that's the driving force of his change for the worse. IMO but i see it as not Clark's fault, maybe if he did tell Lex the truth things could have been different, we'll never really know i guess.
                      Last edited by Lex n' Lana; 10-27-2005, 12:05 PM.

Comment

i dont think they do it was his choice to become bad not clark if clark did tell lex he would betray him

Comment

Originally posted by tomw_lover
                          i dont think they do it was his choice to become bad not clark if clark did tell lex he would betray him
                          In the past he wouldn't have betrayed him though. Time and time again they've shown Lex protecting Clark from others who were trying to investigate and harrass him. Examples being Agent Loder, Perry White, Roger Nixon, his own father, and even Jason as shown in Forever when he brings up Clark and Lex says "he has nothing to do with this." Lex wanted to know the truth, but he didn't want others to exploit Clark. However, now it is different.
                          Last edited by tonytr87; 11-03-2005, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lzpoof
                            From the way that they write the show I think Clark and to a lesser extent the supporting cast are directly to blame for Lex turning evil. JK basically insults the guy multiple times including refusing to take money that could save his farm jsut because it comes from Lex. The supoprting cast nearly every episode ask Lex for some insane favor since he has money and 'power' yet they never give him anything in return and constantly berate him for his actions..... They basically use him then treat him like dirt when they don't need him.

I'm kinda hoping he vocalizes that this season.... he' already mentioned it once to Clark.
                            Yep, I agree with you completely!

Originally posted by Messenger
                            I think Clark is vastly responsible for Lex's turn. Lex has always been struggling with the question on whether or not he is worth saving. He knows that he is a Luthor, and in the beginning he fought against his family legacy, to become more than just another shark in the waters. Clarks friendship gave him hope that he was something more than what his father had been forming him to be.

But even Clark, the man who saves everybody, including his enemies, wouldn't save Lex. Revealing his identity to Lex would have been a significant risk, but it would have signifed to Lex that Clark viewed him as being more than just a Luthor, but as a real person.

What has that done to our darkening antagonist, but to reinforce that he is unworthy of being anything other than what he was fated to be? In the end, Clark could have saved Lex with a simple act of sacrifice, but was unwilling to do so to serve his own selfish ends. What worse is that Clark is willing to make that sacrifice for others, just not Lex. Lex was completely honest with Clark until SuperPlaid started lying to him left right and centre. Why? Not because Clark didn't like Lex, but because he didn't trust Lex's family name. Lex put forward an honest effort to change, and was defeated by fact that he was a Luthor, not his character or his own earnest desire.

Who's to say what could have happened if Clark had confided in Lex, built trust with him and stood as the example against evil and the insidious LionelCorp. Lex would have had a real friend, his only friend, to help him get a grip on what it means to have power and be responsible with it. To have part in a family that nurtures instead of tests.

Instead Clark made a concious decision to let Lex stand on his own and get butchered by the trials of experience. Pretty sure that's going to come back and haunt him, we are as responsible for the things we do as we are responsible for the things we don't do.
                            And I especially agree with this! I've been saying it all along. If Clark would have just shown Lex that he had the same trust in him that Lex had in Clark, maybe things could have been different. But it was like he was his best friend one minute, his worst enemy the next then back to his best friend again. It's been a constant up and down with one thing very evidant. Clark doesn't believe in Lex.
                            Last edited by Lex's Love; 11-06-2005, 11:35 AM.

Comment

i dont think it does, lex lies to clark all the time and if he does that surely he can understand clark lyin to him!! so i dont think dats the problem, but i do think clark was keeping him on the straight and narrow to a certain extent and the disintegration of their friendship has removed clarks positive influence on lex

you cant blame clark for his influence being removed and hence speeding lexes path to the dark side. Also, lex never trusted clark as opposed to what a previous poster said, if he did he would not have been investigating his first meeting from day 1, so that doesnt fly either!

Finally i blame lionel entirely on lex's upbringing, the child is a reflection of his upbringing in all but extreme cases and lionel was cruel and evil his entire life probably, and lex seeing this obviously thought that this behaviour was acceptable and never developed certain aspects of morality, for want of a better phrase.

Thats my opinion anyway!
                              Last edited by SuperDub2; 11-06-2005, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex's Love
                                Yep, I agree with you completely!

And I especially agree with this! I've been saying it all along. If Clark would have just shown Lex that he had the same trust in him that Lex had in Clark, maybe things could have been different. But it was like he was his best friend one minute, his worst enemy the next then back to his best friend again. It's been a constant up and down with one thing very evidant. Clark doesn't believe in Lex.

I think Johnathan Kent & Lionel Luthor are much to blame than Clark in this case.

Clark tried to trust Lex at first but,his father always told him to be carefull with Lex.He never beleived in Lex's goodness from the start and Clark eventually listened to his father and stopped trusting his friend.

Lionel was extremely tough with his son,never showed him love or compation.He raised his son as he rules all his coporations.I think that why Lex is surffering so much,feeling so alone and needed so much to have good friends but,he never had the chance because of his name.

Poor Lex

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎