No announcement yet.

Bad Lex... Is Clark To Blame?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's look at the things that happened to Lex:

Electroshock therapy turned up all the way to 11.

Being possessed by an Alien, showed indications that the Alien Removal wasn't such a tidy job done by Clark as seeing there was still tiny bits of Zod left behind. Lex acted like Zod for a while even after Zod was exorcised from his body. Lex's descent into being bad didn't start until he was possessed by Zod, so that supports my theory.

constructive head trauma from being hit repeatedly in the head, etc. In real life people's personalities have changed from nice to violent thanks to serious head trauma, you know. In fact, Lex Luthor should really had died long before season three was even over due to all the traumatic injuries inflicted on him.

Then there's his repeated exposure to the meteor rocks. He plays around with that stuff, even knowing that it causes Cancer, Mental illnesses, and mutations in the human population.

Yep, I tend to believe that Lex was once good but was driven insane by all that **** that happened to him. People can act like a normal person, etc even when they're insane... not all insane people have to act like the Joker. Hell, even in comic book canon and in the animated cartoons Lex was shown to be somewhat insane. He just happens to be the kind of insane that is able to cover up his own madness by acting like he has rational thoughts and acts normally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aurora Moon
      Let's look at the things that happened to Lex:

Electroshock therapy turned up all the way to 11.

Being possessed by an Alien, showed indications that the Alien Removal wasn't such a tidy job done by Clark as seeing there was still tiny bits of Zod left behind. Lex acted like Zod for a while even after Zod was exorcised from his body. Lex's descent into being bad didn't start until he was possessed by Zod, so that supports my theory.

constructive head trauma from being hit repeatedly in the head, etc. In real life people's personalities have changed from nice to violent thanks to serious head trauma, you know. In fact, Lex Luthor should really had died long before season three was even over due to all the traumatic injuries inflicted on him.

Then there's his repeated exposure to the meteor rocks. He plays around with that stuff, even knowing that it causes Cancer, Mental illnesses, and mutations in the human population.

Yep, I tend to believe that Lex was once good but was driven insane by all that **** that happened to him. People can act like a normal person, etc even when they're insane... not all insane people have to act like the Joker. Hell, even in comic book canon and in the animated cartoons Lex was shown to be somewhat insane. He just happens to be the kind of insane that is able to cover up his own madness by acting like he has rational thoughts and acts normally.
      When Lex hallucinates and kills two versions of himself that represent two aspects of his personality, there is little doubt that he is insane to me.

God bless you! God bless everyone in your life!

Comment

• There's that too. *nods* I doubt Lex was able to have any actual support in recovering from that kind of thing... especially with a bastard father like Lionel. and Lex now have a pathological fear/dislike of psychiatric help, thanks to Lionel Luthor using seedy and corrupt doctors against Lex for his own goals. In fact I blame Lionel Luthor for most of the damage that was done to Lex, even though Clark did play his part in it.

Comment

• I can emotionally relate to Clark more than Lex

Originally posted by Messenger
          I think Clark is vastly responsible for Lex's turn. Lex has always been struggling with the question on whether or not he is worth saving. He knows that he is a Luthor, and in the beginning he fought against his family legacy, to become more than just another shark in the waters. Clarks friendship gave him hope that he was something more than what his father had been forming him to be.

But even Clark, the man who saves everybody, including his enemies, wouldn't save Lex. Revealing his identity to Lex would have been a significant risk, but it would have signifed to Lex that Clark viewed him as being more than just a Luthor, but as a real person.

What has that done to our darkening antagonist, but to reinforce that he is unworthy of being anything other than what he was fated to be? In the end, Clark could have saved Lex with a simple act of sacrifice, but was unwilling to do so to serve his own selfish ends. What worse is that Clark is willing to make that sacrifice for others, just not Lex. Lex was completely honest with Clark until SuperPlaid started lying to him left right and centre. Why? Not because Clark didn't like Lex, but because he didn't trust Lex's family name. Lex put forward an honest effort to change, and was defeated by fact that he was a Luthor, not his character or his own earnest desire.

Who's to say what could have happened if Clark had confided in Lex, built trust with him and stood as the example against evil and the insidious LionelCorp. Lex would have had a real friend, his only friend, to help him get a grip on what it means to have power and be responsible with it. To have part in a family that nurtures instead of tests.

Instead Clark made a concious decision to let Lex stand on his own and get butchered by the trials of experience. Pretty sure that's going to come back and haunt him, we are as responsible for the things we do as we are responsible for the things we don't do.
          I understand what you are saying and I somehow agree with this to a certain extent, but you need to understand that Lex, like Lana, didn't really seem to absorb much about him other than that "Clark Kent lies." Which is actually kind of hilarious, because Clark is honest to a fault... except about this one thing. I remember in the episode reunion in season 6 in the flashback when Lex was still young. I remember Duncan said to Lex before the car ran him over. "You can't pretend to be friends with someone Lex, you either are or you're aren't" I also remember in the same episode in Lex's and Oliver's conversation at the clock tower apartment "Poor little Lex, always blaming others for all his problems." - Oliver "Only when they're the cause." - Lex. this indicates that Lex finds it easier to blame other people and not blame himself for his own actions, bad life choices and his own misbehavior. His own personal responsibility to himself is his and his alone. Clark, Lionel, Jonathan, Lana, Smallville. Lillian. They may have all played a role in darkening Lex, but Lex is the one sole person responsible for his own actions, choices and misbehavior. Clark, Lionel, Jonathan, Lana, Smallville and Lillian are not the ones responsible for Lex's actions or misbehavior or choices. Lex is. I remember in season 9 with Chloe and Jor El's conversation about Zod in Clark's loft. " I worry that he wasn't the only one that I've influenced (Clark) Perhaps I've played my part in making Zod in what he became." Jor El " But Whatever you did to him, Zod still chose to become a monster." Chloe Sullivan. ​So according to this conversation between Chloe and Jor El, this is what happened with Lex and Clark. Lex still chose to become a monster on his own free will despite what Clark did to him. Clark did not make that choice for him, Lex made that questionable choice all on his own He didn't need Clark's help in making that choice.
          Last edited by laurarawlins; 03-21-2016, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• Clark have a big responsability for what happened to Lex, he could be a great friend but ...(sorry for my english).

Comment

• I'm curious

Originally posted by reprisal
              Clark have a big responsability for what happened to Lex, he could be a great friend but ...(sorry for my english).
              How is Clark responsible for what happened to his one time best friend? Is Lex not responsible for his own actions and choices? did he not make all the wrong choices for all the wrong reasons? is it really Clark's fault? that Lex turned out the way he did? Why do people keep saying that it's Clark's fault? because I don't get that. Sure, Clark didn't always act like a friend to Lex, but Lex didn't always act like a friend to Clark either, so it goes both ways. I mean how would you feel if someone tried to bust into your private life? or disrespect your boundaries? or invade your personal space? just to learn all of your secrets? you wouldn't want that would you? so Lex is not completely innocent here you can't always put all the blame on Clark, you have to put some of the blame on Lex too. Not everything has to be public domain, we don't always have to share everything about ourselves to people all the time, it's ok to keep some things to ourselves too. Why can't Lex just respect Clark's privacy? Both honesty and dishonesty both have its consequences. You can't always trust people with the truth, but you can't always lie to people either even if it means protecting yourself and other people too. You always have to find a balance between being honest with other people and being honest with yourself as well as keeping in mind your own personal safety and the safety of other people. And that is what Clark is trying to do, he is trying to figure things out, he is trying to put things into perspective and he's trying to find that balance. So why is Clark getting all the blame? How is Clark at fault for Lex's turn to the dark side? is Lex not responsible for making that questionable choice on his own? of his own free will? because I think he is Clark did not force Lex into making that choice. you can debate this all you want, but the facts will always remain the same. Clark did not turn Lex evil, Lex did that on his own.
              Last edited by laurarawlins; 09-08-2016, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎