Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else bothered by Clark losing his virginity?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else bothered by Clark losing his virginity?

Perhaps it's my southern Baptist upbringing, but I had thought that Clark/Superman remained a virgin until meeting/"marrying" Lois Lane. I am not sure how it has been chronicled in the comics, but in the movies Clark gave up his powers to become mortal to be with Lois -- thus making a real sacrifice to be with the one he loved. Smallville Clark did not make a sacrifice -- he became human and instantly had this attitude of "I'm human! Time to do the nasty!"

Superman has always been my favorite superhero not only because of his amazing powers but also because of his morality. To me, seeing Clark lose his virginity to someone who we all know he ultimately won't be with kinda cheapened his character.

Personally I would've prefered he remained chaste during the show's run.

well... sex=ratings... sad to say... sad to see... but it's true.

Comment

I am VERY disappoointed. I mentioned this in a previous post, but I will say it again: Sacrificing the purity of the future Superman for the sake of Clana ratings is despicable.

Comment

Check out Shirkie's take on it:

Comment

Well - it was going to happen, and given that most people in the west are probably doing it before they get married - its only in line current culture. I would go as far as saying that it would be strange if they did not get on with it - like Clark said:

"I've been in love with her since I was 7 years old..." something like that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ISUZU
            "I've been in love with her since I was 7 years old..." something like that anyway.
            More like INFATUATED with her.

Comment

No, not bothered, most likely progression. Sorry if you don't agree.

Comment

Originally posted by drwood
                I am VERY disappoointed. I mentioned this in a previous post, but I will say it again: Sacrificing the purity of the future Superman for the sake of Clana ratings is despicable.

WHO CARES!!! CLARK GOT LAID AND IT WAS SWEET, VIRGINITY IS OVER RATED AND I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE SEX!

Comment

Originally posted by Eh,Man?You-El?
                  Check out Shirkie's take on it:
                  http://www.ezrasmall.com/purity.htm
                  Great read.

Comment

It bothers me - not perhaps because of some kind of 'moral purity' reason, but because it was clearly introduced as a gimmick to improve ratings.

Smallville should be above that; its indicative of a lack of quality that its not.

It also bothers me because I think Smallville would do best as a tense/scifi/family show. 'Hidden' had Clark spitting up blood; splashed blood when Chloe shot psycho-boy (or when the gun went off when they were fighting). No doubt these 'special effects' might appeal to some, but do nothing but detract for me in tending to make it non-family. I don't want to see a typical soap opera type sex theme in smallville either. If I wanted to watch a soap I'd have a lobotomy.

Also it bothers me because I just feel no romantic spark from the whole recent Clana thing. Instead we get some cheap cliched 'my parents caught us out'.

Comment

I blame Sienfeld and Friends! Before those shows came out it was almost taboo to have sexual experiences before marriage... now they portray teens doing the same thing to get ratings.

Comment

if it was for the ratings, they wouldve done a lot more than just implied that they had sex. remember the scene when jor-el sleeps with that woman louise. they showed more during that scene than they did the clana scene. so i really doubt that the clana scene boosted ratings very much.

Comment

Originally posted by whit*****
                          .................................................. ....

Also it bothers me because I just feel no romantic spark from the whole recent Clana thing. Instead we get some cheap cliched 'my parents caught us out'.
                          I think its too late for Smallville not to be a soap opera. There is too much happening now between each episode - almost like constant cliffhangers at the end of each episode. Its very much like Buffy in the last 2 seasons in that aspect. Further the new starting sequence - kind of reminds me of Dallas and Dynasty from years ago. If the scene was done for the ratings then it is ultimately a silly thing BUT they were going to do it at some stage given current culture and the writers would have to have put it in at least one of the episodes this season.

For the record - I use to think that Smallville should be a family show BUT certain episodes (not just the ones with sex) have made me think otherwise. Its not really - and I think the story lines this season are getting more serious.

Comment

Oh no, not another "Clark losing his virginity" thread.....

I'm not really bothered by the cliffhanger endings, new shows tend to go that way (Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc), presumably to keep the new viewers interested. & if more new viewers mean Smallville stays on the air, I'm all for it.
                            However (& I may as well join in the fun), using sex for a ratings gimmick is just lame. Even more so in the case of Superman.

Comment

It does not make a difference! His molecular structure along with other elements of his Kyrptonian makeup have been restored.

In other words---it is as if the incident never occurred.

Remember, in Superman II; Lois gets Superman to inadvertantly reveal his true identity setting up the "I Love You's" between them and him wanting to become 'mortal' to consumate his union with Lois.

All this took place in the FOS in opposition to his Kryptonian mother Lara objections/warnings of never going back to being immortal/Superman.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎