0 0%

0 0%

2 5.56%

0 0%
  • 1 (worst)

2 5.56%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    New In Town
    I agree. This episode is one now one of my favorites.

Season five is kicking some serious ass thus far.

Arrival was awesome
    Mortal was a good, solid, episode.
    Now Hidden keeps the streak alive!!

Hidden was a great episode all around. Great acting, storytelling, effects, suspense, etc.. Everything was working in this episode.

I was a little letdown by the missle scene, because from the way people made it sound on here before the episode, he jump/flew up into space. How people can say he flew is beyond me.The missle was still somewhat close to home, where Clark could jump up and grab ahold of the missle. Still, it did have awesome effects though.

My favorite part of the episode without a doubt was Lionel as Jor-El. That was sweet. The conversation was awesome. However, there is one thing that concerns me. Jor-El told Clark that he was "about to face his darkest hour". Yet, they will most likely have the death be in the season finale. I am hoping this sacrifice is not dragged out throughout the whole season. The obvious choice would be Johnathan because he always dies. Yet, I could totally see it being Chloe because she knows about Clark, and in terms of the overall story she is somewhat expendable. I love Chloe to death, but it is possible.

The end talk between Chloe and Clark was great as well.

Gripes*********

How did Lionel get dressed up in a suit? Did Jor-El stop in Luthor mansion to get dressed up before he made his way to the FOS?

Why does Lana express no curiosity whatsoever about how Clark survived or why he looked the way that he did? At least they had Lex ask the same question. Somewhat dug themselves out of that plot hole.

I do wish they would have made it more clear why Lana would just hand over Clark's file to Lex.

Also, another gripe I had, is why a small town sheriff would be allowed to lead a team of soliders.

Now would I call this the best episode ever? No. There have been episodes that I liked more. But was this an awesome episode? No doubt. I still liked Arrival just a tad bit more, but this one was almost as good.

Next week's episode looks so awesome. I am not a big fan of Aquaman, but it will be cool to see Lex acting really dark.
    Last edited by vyperman7; 10-13-2005 at 11:24 PM.

I believe that this is THE episode to beat. It had everything, no FotW, Clark with and without powers, Clark flying, awesome Clana, humor, everything.

I believe we wont have a contender to beat this episode until Solitude or Krypton...

Originally posted by wallyK
    I do have one beef with the writers. Yes, actions have consequences, and you want to show that in stories. But there has to be a clear connection between the action and the consequences for it to be meaningful. If the consequences seem a bit random or biased, then you have fatalism. In Clark's case, he could not reasonably know that chosing to save Lana would mean his resurrection and somebody being exchanged for him. If this is supposed to be a moral lesson, it is a rather bad one because Clark did not ask for his life back. He said his frequent lament of "I had no choice." Clark often gets forced into things. When he decides he is going to be his own man and not play along, things still go bad. Sounds like fatalism to me.
    The writers *SUCK*. Yes it's cool to see Clark leap up to the warhead. But the actual story (is there even a story?) totally blows. The writers are all over the place and nothing makes any real sense.

Seriously, if you want to see some excellent writing and story telling, go watch Lost, Firefly, or Battlestar Gallatica. The only thing good about Smallville is seeing Clark do Supermany things.
    Last edited by ShakyJake; 10-13-2005 at 11:24 PM.

Forum Whiz
    Originally posted by Brainiac_13
    Man, that was astoundingly good.

Naturally, I have numerous things to say, but I'll save the remarks for a less busy time.

DOOD it was so good though. I think I'll go watch it again, now that I've edited out the commercials.

I haven't gotten "the chills" off an episode since I was a SVNoob. Some of Tom Welling's best work in the entire series, and holy crap was John Glover on the mark or what!?

I must say, the writing was tight as Lois Lane's shirt. It felt like they put that script together just to make people like me shut the heck up.

Lots of loose end material, lots of good detail, lots of GIGANTIC MOMENTS OF REALIZATION FOR CLARK.

And the boy flew. Naturally, it was done in such a way as to be able to claim that he actually jumped, and since it was so well-done, I won't even belabor the point.

Now, I will go and do my happy dance.
    Definitely agree. Is it just me, or does the writing this season 10 times better than the previous ones?? Kinda weird considering Jeph Loeb just quit writing for them. When I heard that I thought the writing would suffer, but I was definitely wrong.

I think this is the earliest we have gotten a FOTW-free episode since Season 2. Good sign.
    Last edited by Sydafex7; 10-14-2005 at 01:07 AM.

Forum Regular
    My favorite of the season so far.

Chlark getting the loft scene was a pleasant, new addition. Chloe is just a sweet heart. I love how she told him her being the only one to know makes it more special. Because it does. Secret identies unfortunately get tossed around in DC so I'm glad they're keeping it safeguarded in Smallville.

Lionel and Clark were definitely the main highlight of character interaction though. People are trying to make Jor-el out to be the bad guy, but I think he's going to be the major force in Clark accepting himself, as he should be. It'll be a real moment when Clark finally calls him Father.

The Clana was good. I got a scoach emotional in the hospital scene and I liked the beginning with them getting caught. Clark is just lucky he died before his dad could really chew him out.

As for the impending death...two options. Chloe. Jonathan. I say Jonathan to tie in to the movies and I think he's served his purpose to Clark. Teaching him the human side of himself. Now Clark just needs to develop his Kryptonian side which Jor-el will handle. Once he's merged both, he can be the Superman we all know.

New In Town
    Did anyone notice how Jor-El as Lionel held the lapels of his suit with both hands, basically the same mannerism that Marlon Brando as Jor-El had?

That's a really great touch. I didn't notice it until I watched the scene again (I rewatched it on my Tivo just because it was such a good scene), but the writers clearly are very consciously emulating Jor-El from the movies. And taking many things directly from the movies and incorporating them into this season (which I think is great, and very entertaining).

Which makes me wonder if the Phantom Zone/nuclear explosion thing will also be copied outright.

Forum Whiz
    Originally posted by Poetic Chaos
    As for the impending death...two options. Chloe. Jonathan. I say Jonathan to tie in to the movies and I think he's served his purpose to Clark. Teaching him the human side of himself. Now Clark just needs to develop his Kryptonian side which Jor-el will handle. Once he's merged both, he can be the Superman we all know.

I said Jonathan or Chloe also, but, then I heard someone say Jor-el and I have to agree with them. Jor-el Sacrificing himself would definitely show Clark just how much he does love him, een after all he's put him through. I think it would make Clark accept his destiniy a lot faster also.

They also said they are huge Anette and John fans and thats why they dont kill off the parents. Remember, the Kents were still alive in Lois and Clark.
    Last edited by Sydafex7; 10-13-2005 at 11:58 PM.

Let me start out by saying that I could watch the last half of this episode everyday for the remainder of time.

I thought the first half was kinda slow. Clark and lana were funny, especially when Lana tried to standup to Bo Kent. And Clark stubbing his toe was classic. I could swear that he said "why does this hurt so much?" The Gabriel stuff was alittle boring I thought but I knew that already from the spoilers. I was just waiting for Clark to get shot. I thought the music during that scene was funny just because it made the situation out to be life threatening when we all know Clark wont die.

I didnt see the yahoo clip with Lionel in the FOS so I was really surprised. There talk was amazing. As much as I hate to say, I'm glad that someone Clark loves will die. It serves him right for being a selfish moron. Also I truly believe that Jor-El doesnt want to do that to Clark, he is just forced by Clark's actions. I also liked how JE knew Clark would mess up so he implemented a contingencie (sp?) plan. No wonder the man knew Krypton would explode, he certainly covers all of his bases.

The Jump totally caught me off guard since we had no spoilers about it. Once Chloe wasnt able to stop the launch I was like "Ok how is this going to get resolved?" And then when Clark got his powers back I thought maybe he was going to catch it and then throw it back into space. But then he just lept off the ground and clawed his way up to the tip. And after he chucked the detonator into space I completely forgave him for being a selfish moron. I'm just glad to have supes back. It also made me think about what Clark said in Crusade, he thinks he's capable of anything, and now he's showing it.

The Chlark scene at the end was great and I was so happy that clark blamed himself and not Jor-El for whats going to happen.

I thought it was a great ep. Better than I thought it would be and I thought it was going to be pretty freakin good. I know I've said this before and I know its early in the season but you can already tell the difference in the show from last season. I mean compare Facade and devoted to Mortal and Hidden. No knock on those seaosn 4 eps but some pretty important and dark things are happening early on this season and I for one cant wait for all the TC that is to come.

New In Town
    Originally posted by Sydafex7
    I said Jonathan or Chloe also, but, then I heard someone say Jor-el and I have to agree with them.
    The whole Clark voluntarily taking action that causes him to lose his powers (with a woman being the catalyst for the action), combined with a sacrifice being needed for him to get his powers back, is basically straight from the original version of Superman II.

Jor-El is the one who had to sacrifice himself there, so he seems like the top candidate here as well.

Originally posted by Kadence

Jor-El is the one who had to sacrifice himself there, so he seems like the top candidate here as well.
    When did JE sacrifice himself in Superman 2? I dont think he was in that movie. Im pretty sure it was Lara.

Originally posted by Lexgirl33
    agreed!!
    Me too. So double that!

Like every S5 ep so far, this one was Grrrrrrrrrate!!! The only question is... Who?

Who will be taken? Who, is the one who must lose their life, to balance the getting back of Clarks? I hate to say this and I know no one want to face it, but if Jor/Lion-eL was correct, the implication is unavoidable, so, however you answer the above question is also the answer to a second, outrageously painful question: WHO, will be leaving the show? OMG! Who?!

New In Town
    Originally posted by F-Stop Blues
    When did JE sacrifice himself in Superman 2? I dont think he was in that movie. Im pretty sure it was Lara.
    Lara sacrificed herself in Superman IV. (it was more of an implied thing, with the green crystal representing her life force and that of Krypton; "if our dying planet can save your life my son, we have not died in vain")

Jor-El's sacrifice was supposed to be explicit in Superman II, but it wasn't in the Lester version. His sacrifice is the storyline explanation for why Jor-El isn't in the sequels.

Forum Whiz
    I could watch the parallel cuts from Clark dieing to Jor-El taking over Lionel over and over again. Also, Clark stopping the missle was priceless. This episode is definitely in my top 5 best episodes ever!

Originally posted by Kadence

Jor-El's sacrifice was supposed to be explicit in Superman II, but it wasn't in the Lester version. His sacrifice is the storyline explanation for why Jor-El isn't in the sequels.

Oh I understand now thanx. On a side note I cant believe they havent released Donners cut of the sequel. But thats a discussion for another time.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast