Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
    Also, the episode had a time-management problem. The general timeframe had to be short, so Sheriff Adams would not have time to check the 15 silos. But to have Chlark investigate, then Clark get shot, get him found and rushed to the hospital, have him in and out of surgery and a follow-up smalltalk with Jor-El in just under an hour? I don't know, maybe "hour" means something else in Kansas...
    Distance also means something different in Smallville - how far away is Metropolis again? It's easier if we just pretend Smallville is at the centre of a wormhole

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ Doena
      Also, the episode had a time-management problem. The general timeframe had to be short, so Sheriff Adams would not have time to check the 15 silos. But to have Chlark investigate, then Clark get shot, get him found and rushed to the hospital, have him in and out of surgery and a follow-up smalltalk with Jor-El in just under an hour?

I don't know, maybe "hour" means something else in Kansas...
      I could be wrong but didn't Lex start off the episode in Smallvile, somehow get to Metropolis and back to Smallville in the matter of an hour. lol

The timestamp just felt like Smallville seeing (the show) 24 be popular and thinking it would somehow fit the episode, it came across bad
      Last edited by Supsfan; 07-20-2012, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• Another one of many of my favorite episodes

Comment

• I love how season 5 starts out with three STRONG episodes. This episode is such a rush. Gabriel was well written as the villain of the week. Clark is shot and brought back to life.....which doesn't happen without consequence. And how about Clark's save? Talk about WOW! If I had to nitpick anything with this episode, it's the "after school special" scene at the beginning. That was just a little awkward......though a little humorous as well.

10 out of 10

Comment

• Originally posted by super_j_man
            Clark is shot and brought back to life.....which doesn't happen without consequence.
            How is this a good thing? It started a really crappy storyline

I personally never get the love for Hidden. It was a pretty good plot idea, but quickly gets dragged down the final 10 minutes. It's my pick for the worst ever scene to end an episode off on(and yes I am taking into consideration every Clana endscene)

Comment

• Originally posted by Supsfan
              How is this a good thing? It started a really crappy storyline

I personally never get the love for Hidden. It was a pretty good plot idea, but quickly gets dragged down the final 10 minutes. It's my pick for the worst ever scene to end an episode off on(and yes I am taking into consideration every Clana endscene)
              What, you would rather him die?

Kidding. Having died and come back to life gave Clark his powers back (or something like that). And consequences are a part of life. I know you don't like the storyline of "someone close to Clark will die" but I didn't mind it. I understood it and it teaches Clark there are things in life you can't control. To me it was a story of fate and how even if you knew what fate you were destined for, how would you even change it? And if you tried changing fate, what would be the consequences. I like deep story lines because they really make you think.

Comment

Kidding. Having died and come back to life gave Clark his powers back (or something like that). And consequences are a part of life. I know you don't like the storyline of "someone close to Clark will die" but I didn't mind it. I understood it and it teaches Clark there are things in life you can't control. To me it was a story of fate and how even if you knew what fate you were destined for, how would you even change it? And if you tried changing fate, what would be the consequences. I like deep story lines because they really make you think.
                I just hated the whole storyline of Clark losing his powers, dieing coming back then somebody dieing in his place. It all started in Arrival and it was a case that was it really that hard for Clark to get back to the FOS in time? I think it was a plotline that make Clark look terrible and just felt like overly forced drama

As I said Hidden could have been good(even ignoring how unrealistic that timer thing was as I pointed out a few posts above) if you took out the last 10 minutes but the episode just crash and burned for my tastes

Comment

The main problem is that the consequences were arbitrary. There was no real cause-and-effect at work here.

Jor-El took Clark's powers in Arrival just seconds after he had defeated the Kryptonians. Even if he hadn't checked on Lana he would have never made in in time back to the Fortress. So, Jor-El took his powers (however he did that [taking away abilities that are based in your biology]) - it would have been really helpful (and thus it didn't happen) if he would taken the powers of the Kandorians in late S9.

And then he revived his son with this whole life-energy balance thingy - however that works. And why would he need to possess Lionel? Apparantly he can transport people in and out of the Fortress at his whim (as seen several times throughout the show).

I'd bet anything that the universe had nothing to do with Jonathan's death and that this whole life-for-a-life thing is just a myth so people don't start playing god. Jor-El probably arranged Lana's/Jonathan's death himself to teach his son one of his "invaluable" lessons.

If this life-for-a-life thing really did exist, a lot of people would have died in S9 in exchange for all the people that were killed by the Kandorians in Lois' time-travel future.

Comment

• A good episode, apart from the ticking clock. I've really grown to hate ticking clocks over the years. They use them, to try to add tension to the events, but it doesn't work, as everything always (clearly) takes longer than the time stated.

The episode has Clark trying to prevent a lunatic, from nuking the town. Supergirl did a similar premise, in season one, but I think this one was better. I actually felt tension here, which I didn't with Supergirl. Furthermore, Supergirl is able to fly and (in the same episode) was shown to be able to lift something much heavier than a nuclear missile. So, a nuclear missile shouldn't be a problem for her. Here, Clark isn't able to fly. He has to jump onto it. It's something that he only has one shot at. If he misses the missile, he can't try again. He also have to climb up to the top of the missile, which is a multistage rocket. If he doesn't climb fast enough, the next stage will detach, before he's gotten to it (and he'll fail).

Really liked the scene with Clark dying and Lionel/Jor-El breaking out of his cell and super speeding away. Think, the first time I watched this episode, that I was suspecting that Jor-El had taken over Lionel permanently and was merely pretending to be Lionel, while he was talking to Lex. I really enjoyed Jor-El-as-Lionel and would've liked to have seen more of it (not just Lionel being sent messages from him).

It also introduces the plotline, that'll end with Jonathan dying. I like that fact, that while the Fortress is shown to be able to bring back the dead, that it comes with a price. The same with magic being able to bring back the dead, in "Hex". It means, that while it's possible to bring back the death, the price is higher than most people are willing to pay. Which is why people aren't brought back, left and right. It's a problem I had, when they gave Chloe her healing power, was that she was able to bring back the dead, but there was no price that had to be paid. No life for a life.

In regard to that plotline, I am a bit annoyed with the fact that Clark is clearly not listening that what Jor-El is saying. Jor-El makes it clear, that there is a balance in the universe. By bringing Clark back, he upset that balance and now someone else has to die. It's not something Jor-El has any power over (which Clark clearly think that he has*).

* For some reason, the Kent family kept making Jor-El sound more powerful, than he actually was. In the season 6 premiere, Martha tells him to bring Clark back from the Phantom Zone, which she knows that he's able to do... how? Has someone told her, that he has the power to do that? She just says it, like it's obvious that he has the power to do so. The same thing in "Reckoning", when he lashes out at Jor-El, for taking Lana away from her. How did he take her away from her? She died in a car accident. She crashed into a school bus, while being chased by Lex. Is Clark suggesting that Jor-El, magically, made the bus appear?

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
                      It's a problem I had, when they gave Chloe her healing power, was that she was able to bring back the dead, but there was no price that had to be paid. No life for a life.
                      Actually we don't know that for certain. Lois may have been barely alive in the tunnel and Clark was not dead yet. And it cost Chloe at least emotionally a lot. If she had actually ever tried to resurrect someone actually dead it may have cost her life.

She just says it, like it's obvious that he has the power to do so.
                      Well, he does randomly grant people powers like Jonathan in season 3. He stores people in a wall for 16 years like Fake-Kara, also season 3. Later we learn that he can give Clark telepathic abilities. He was also able to transfer a computer conciousness into a human brain - in this very episode. He can also revoke Clark's abilities which are based in biology - that's why every Kryptonian on Earth has them. He beams people to and fro. Why wouldn't Martha assume that he can beam Clark out of the PZ? Especially if you consider (ok Martha couldn't know that, but still!) that Jor-El created the damn thing!

He is a bit like a deus ex machina.

The same thing in "Reckoning", when he lashes out at Jor-El, for taking Lana away from her. How did he take her away from her? She died in a car accident. She crashed into a school bus, while being chased by Lex. Is Clark suggesting that Jor-El, magically, made the bus appear?
                      Well he decided to take away Clark's powers to teach him a lesson and then decided to trade his son's life against someone else's in the full knowledge that the "universe would find a balance" (however that actually works). He decided that his son's life was more important than someone else's. He even knew it would be a loved one of Clark's - he told him that upfront. So in a way it is his fault that Lana and then Jonathan died. It's a direct result of his actions. A good prosecutor could make a case for negligent homicide and definively one for kidnapping, false imprisonment and first degree murder of Lindsay Harrington(?) (Fake-Kara).
                      Last edited by DJ Doena; 07-07-2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎