Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writing is better, but still a complaint

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

first off, yeah having those powers would be very cool, but being raised the way he was, he's learned to respect them and put himself out there to make money, money isnt that important for those that said he should do something to make money, of course most humans would want money cause they are greedy and its not a good thing... ok, now wasnt there a time in ur life when u wanted to be someone else, or have a different life, of coarse and if u say no then ur prly lying, good call there(sarcastic).... he just wants to not have the burden of not having a choice, which ulimately he does have, but in other ways doesnt... 'you do what u are' fits him even when he is human. he's a hero whether he wants to be or not... its just what he is, he's been tought to use his gifts to better the world and once he learns Jor-El's true intentions then he will accept it, remember he thinks he's there to take over the world!!! man that was longer that i meant for it to be but w/e

Comment

SV's Clark is a "Peter Parker"-like, always wanted to be normal and whining about his powers. Now, the real Clark Kent always embraced what he really his and used them help people, without second thoughs.

Comic Spoilers:

Even DC Comics is now bringing the non-whining Earth-2 Superman to correct the things, the one that invented "This look like a job for Superman".

Comment

Originally posted by Timester
        SV's Clark is a "Peter Parker"-like, always wanted to be normal and whining about his powers. Now, the real Clark Kent always embraced what he really his and used them help people, without second thoughs.

Comic Spoilers:

Even DC Comics is now bringing the non-whining Earth-2 Superman to correct the things, the one that invented "This look like a job for Superman".

Yeah!

"This looks like a job for Superman".

A timeless Classic!!!!!!

Comment

I don't buy the whole "he just wants to be normal haven't you ever wanted be something different etc...". I've never wanted to be slower. I've never wanted to be weaker. I've never wanted to have abilities that I take for granted taken away from me. I mean, it's like wishing you were paraplegic. You wish for something better, not worse.
          Have sex with Lana? What prevented him from doing that before? Wear a condom and there's no worries. Are you telling me he's never beaten the meat and seen what happens? I assume his "other" functions are the same as any human.

My point is that he wants something crappy, which is ridiculous, and he whines about having a godlike gift. Do you see Tiger Woods whining about having amazing golfing abilities? I mean, sure, sometimes the fame is probably annoying, and because he's so good at golf he basically has no choice but to play etc...but playing golf for millions of dollars is about as good as it gets. That's the same with saving people's lives. What more could you ask for? He's worked on a farm for a while, so it's not like he doesn't know what doing normal crappy work is like. It's just unrealistic and tired to hear him wish to be "normal".

Comment

But Clark is so far above being "normal" that I can understand him not wanting to stand out...

Sometimes girls on purpose don't answer questions in class because they don't want to stand out. Especially if they're ar boys in the class. This is pretty common, btw.

My own daughter does that and it drives me nuts becuase being known as "smart" (irrespective of how geeky you may or may not be) should always be a good thing.

Another point:

Clark just wants to be accepted for who he is and not reviled as a freak. He's seen enough freaks with special powers in Smallville to have a pretty good idea of how he'd be treated and I don't blame him for not wanting that.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjm
              How it is that you would not immediately see how great it is to have that kind of power is beyond me.
              Well, that's the difference between wishing you had these kinds of powers and actually having them. I've often seen people say that if they could fly, they would never come down. Would that really be the case? For starters, you wouldn't be able to control it at first. Most likely, you'd wake up in the morning and realize that you're on the ceiling. If you leave the house, you'll float up into space (and die), so you can't go out and enjoy this ability. Even if you learn to use it, there's a big possibility that someone will lock you up and experiment on you, to figure out how your flying works (so, they can duplicate it). Superhuman strength means that you have to be extremely careful with everything and everyone you touch (so, you don't crush them). Superhuman speed means that you can move fast, in a slow world. Sure, you can run anywhere in a matter of minutes, but no one else can. Unless you carry your friends, they won't be able to go with you (and if you wanna bring 15 friends somewhere, it means that you'd have to run back and forth 15 times).

Let's also look at some other facts about Clark. He's spent his whole life in a small town. Small towns aren't very diverse, so if you're different, there's a risk that you will feel like a freak. All you see around you is people who aren't like you and the people who might be aren't open about it, because it's a small town and they're afraid of the consequences of revealing themselves. Clark's also identified as being 18 in "Hidden" and "Aqua". "Oracle" shows his birthday as being May 3, so he only turned 18 a while back. Before that, he was a minor, meaning he couldn't go anywhere outside of town, without a parent or other adult present. So, he hasn't had much time to enjoy the fun side of being able to move at superhuman speed.

Part of the problem is that we're dealing with live-action versions of comic book characters. In the comics, someone can become a superhero at a young age (think the Silver Age Clark became Superboy at like ten), but in live-action, you're dealing with flesh and blood people. It doesn't make sense for a ten-year-old to not only having accepted and mastered their powers, but already made the decision to slap on a suit and become a superhero. Something like that happening makes you wanna send social services on the parents. No, sorry, I don't care that your kid's bulletproof (and how the hell did you learn that? If you fired a gun at the kid, I'm definitely calling social services), you're willingly exposing your child to emotionally harmful situations. Yet, some people expect the comic book version, of someone being fully developed and ready to become a costumed superhero as a ten-year-old.

He's dumb for not using them to help other people on a larger scale,
              That's an awful lot you're putting on the shoulders of a kid, who is barely 18. Clark saved people from the pilot episode, but doing it on a larger scale would require him to reveal himself. Creating the possibility that he not only will be rejected, but hunted.

dumb for not using them to make money legitimately so that he can help his parents pay their (and his) bills,
              How would he do that? Maybe play professional sports, but he'd be kicked out because he wouldn't be able to pass any medical exam. Not to mention, him having powers would be an unfair advantage (again, something they'd kick him out for, if they ever learn about his powers). In fact, in season 4, they did an episode that showcased why Clark shouldn't play sports.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                How would he do that? Maybe play professional sports, but he'd be kicked out because he wouldn't be able to pass any medical exam. Not to mention, him having powers would be an unfair advantage (again, something they'd kick him out for, if they ever learn about his powers). In fact, in season 4, they did an episode that showcased why Clark shouldn't play sports.
                In fact, they had 2 episodes. 'Jinx' showed him what might happen if he is not in control of his abilities when he inadvertantly injured an opponent, and 'Recruit' provided an example, in Geoff Johns, of somebody using their abilities to gain an unfair advantage as well as going to drastic lengths to hide the fact.

Comment

Honestly, this is a pretty terrible thread to resurrect. some of the comments here are so narrow-minded and ignorant that it doesn't deserve any kind of response.

But yeah, I agree with Jon-el87 up above. The best answer ever to a entire thread full of dumb comments about clark's powers.

Besides, from a certain viewpoint Clark Kent was already helping his parents out money-wise. He does so much around the farm that his parents saves money not having to hire extra farmhands for their farm.

If you looked at the Earth-two comics, they did address this issue. Once Clark Kent became an adult, he was exploring all the things he could do with his powers to make money. Turns out that he could had been anything or be anybody he wanted to be... he was a superman, after all. But none of them made him feel satisfied, because none of those jobs really challenged him nor did it simulate him mentally. He didn't feel like he was making a difference in the world, just that he was becoming rich. He wanted to make a difference in the world, and to have a job that challenged him.
                  It was one of the reasons why he became a reporter. Because his writing skill was one of few things that truly challenged him, and made him feel human. And his other job as superman helped him make a difference in the world.

for some people, being rich is all there to living a good life. So I'm not surprised that some people in this thread would think he was a dumb-ass for not using his powers to get rich. After all, that's all there is to it if you only care about money and nothing else.

But if they really knew Clark Kent, they would know that Clark Kent doesn't care about stuff like that.
                  Last edited by Aurora Moon; 09-24-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎