No announcement yet.

Writing is better, but still a complaint

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing is better, but still a complaint

The writing is much better this season so far. However, it's still ridiculous for Clark to complain about his superpowers. This is not up for debate, it just is. It's not like he has blond hair and everyone else has black and he wishes his hair was black. This is about having super strength, which is better than being weak. Super speed, which is better than being slow, etc...

How it is that you would not immediately see how great it is to have that kind of power is beyond me. In fact, the way his character is written now makes him seem flat out dumb for not seeing the potential of his gifts. He's dumb for not using them to help other people on a larger scale, dumb for not using them to make money legitimately so that he can help his parents pay their (and his) bills, and he's dumb for thinking that he can't tell Lana his secret, when his other 2 best friends know about it and are fine with it. I realize the show is written for people younger than me, but my younger brothers see it as well.

Other than that though the show is much more watchable this season so far. Let's hope they don't turn it over to some random writers and put in filler episodes like they usually do.

p.s. The next person who complains about them having sex before marriage will be mocked for the idiotic religious zealots they are. There is nothing wrong with sex, a natural process, and not feeling guilty about it because you don't subscribe to a particular religion, of which there are hundreds to choose from and yours is not the absolute truth because you happen to believe it.

If he'd accepted his powers from the start, the show woulda been over after the pilot.

Where's the drama if he goes along with it and just enjoys it?

And did you know the biggest demographic for the show is 18-49 year old men? It's not a show for kids.

Comment

Uh, Clark thinks his powers are a curse. He feels responsible for people's deaths, Pete moving away, etc. It's not just about zipping around town, it's about the burden of keeping a secret.

Comment

He could be doing other things with his time, such as coming up with ideas on how to best use his powers, make money w/them, etc... He could take trips around the world when disasters strike. I mean, in the 4 years the show has been going on, we've had 9/11, hurricanes, floods, wars, etc... and yet all we see is the little town of smallville and the random krypto freaks that inhabit the place. Maybe it's a budget constraint or something, I don't know.

My main point with this rambling is that the drama doesn't have to be always "not wanting" his powers. Frankly I find it annoying as I've already said and I'm skeptical that's why people tune in is to see him whine about having superpowers.

*edit to respond to new post*
        If he feels responsible for something that happened when he was an infant in a spaceship, then he is dumb. Feel responsible about something you can control, not something you can't.

Comment

I believe what Clark experiences is called emotion which is a fairly human thing. Most people want to be cool and fit in. Clark also ackowledged that his not having powers may be more difficult than he thought at the end of the episode. As far as the sex thing goes, according to the Bible, which I feel is a good book to base morals around, premarital sex is a sin. You shouldn't condemn someone for that belief. It was after all the accepted view for thousands of years and still is in many countries regardless of religion. My personal take is that if you can deal with the consequences then do what you want. If a person feels that they are mature enough to have to raise a child or fight a disease then by all means let them. For example, if I were to go skydiving and the shoot didn't work then the only one to be blamed was myself. I took that risk knowing the possible results.

Comment

The "my powers are a burden" rag is a terrible and pretentious way to develop a character. Example: Fargin Buffy the Vampire Whiner. SHUT THE FUNK UP, BUFFY! "But, I want to be a normal girl and have a normal life! I didn't get a choice! Waaaa!"

Not only is it the most tired cliche in the heroic realm, it's just dang silly.

If I had powers like that, I'd never keep them a secret:

"I HAVE POWERS!"
            "You suck."
            "Oop! Out into space you go, loser!"
            "AAaaieeeeeee....."
            "I HAVE POWERS! Anyone? Anyone?"
            "We...er...we love you, Superman!"
            "That's what I THOUGHT!"

Comment

LOL.

Comment

He's still a young adult, all he's ever wanted is to be normal. You can't blame him for that. When he starts to realize how much good he's doing, he won't regret his powers anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by triplet
                  If he'd accepted his powers from the start, the show woulda been over after the pilot.

Where's the drama if he goes along with it and just enjoys it?

And did you know the biggest demographic for the show is 18-49 year old men? It's not a show for kids.
                  We've had Clark whining about his superpowers for five seasons now. For realistic character development he really should have accepted them by now and learned how important they are and gained some maturity and insight concerning them. Drama is all well and good, but character development is even better.

Comment

Yes he can save lives when he has his powers, but he cant have one of his own. He only missed or screwed up about thirty Lana dates with his powers activated. Do you want him to be a forty year old virgin?

Not having any powers letshim off the hook. Its a perfectly logical recation for him to be relieved.

Comment

^^If Clark was a normal guy then I'd agree. But he's supposed to be the future Superman and I don't see much hero ethic coming from him. He loses his powers and he doesn't even think about the people who could get in trouble from all of the fotws in the town and who he won't be able to save now. He's just like, "Cool, now I don't have to save people anymore! Plus I can have sex with Lana!" He should be at the point where he's actively going around searching for people in trouble that he can save, even when he doesn't have his powers.

Comment

I agree MBC. I'm all for Clark having issues with his destiny and his abilities but he's being so incredibly selfish. I cant believe he told chloe his hero days are a one time thing. I was like "You are such a jerk." Even in Spider-man 2, Peter eventually realized that he had a gift and couldnt ignore it. He even went into a burning building and saved a child without his powers(which I didnt understand). I feel like Clark wouldnt do that now. Sure he saved the day in Mortal and I'm sure he'll try in Hidden but Clark is all reactive here and not proactive. And as Lex would say, "That bothers me. That bothers me alot."

Comment

I wouldn't mind it so much if Clark had a burning desire to do something else (other than shag Lana night and day) that he couldn't do as a superhero that was pretty cool in itself. I know he doesn't really care for farming but if he really wanted to be an artist or a scientist that also contributed to the world, it would go down so much better. But really . . . meh.

Frankly I find Chloe more super. She has no powers yet she has more drive than he has in her little pinky. That's so sad!

Comment

Originally posted by mobiusklein
                            I wouldn't mind it so much if Clark had a burning desire to do something else (other than shag Lana night and day) that he couldn't do as a superhero that was pretty cool in itself. I know he doesn't really care for farming but if he really wanted to be an artist or a scientist that also contributed to the world, it would go down so much better. But really . . . meh.

Frankly I find Chloe more super. She has no powers yet she has more drive than he has in her little pinky. That's so sad!
                            That's a good point. Clark doesn't seem to have any grand ambitions or desire to do anything very interesting. I honestly can't think of any ambitions or desires that he's been shown to have, beyond Lana and football. He's not interested in being a hero and saving people either. It's a shame that they never really have him show any interest in journalism or anything like that.

I agree about Chloe being super. I consider her to be the true hero of Mortal.

Comment

Originally posted by MBCorp
                              We've had Clark whining about his superpowers for five seasons now. For realistic character development he really should have accepted them by now and learned how important they are and gained some maturity and insight concerning them. Drama is all well and good, but character development is even better.
                              You don't think he's changed since the first season?

I totally disagree. He's more comfortable with himself than he was and can be quite commanding and Supermanly now.

But things have changed and he's "normal" now and being just like everyone else is his lifelong dream. He's ecstatic that he's finally attained it.

He's not going to stay that way, of course, but he doesn't know that yet.

He's in denial and living the life he though he always wanted. I thought it was poignant when he realized that it wouldn't solve his problems.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence and now he's learning that the hard way that being human isn't as easy as he'd thought it'd be.

And I don't have any problems with the writing this year so far... well, not insofar as Clark is concerned anyway.

I coulda done without the wonder twins and the kryptonian plot line in Arrival coulda been better....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎