Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michael Rosenbaum superb again

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

what about john glover, season 3 was his biggest chance for an emmy nomination yet no emmy

Comment

Originally posted by Praxis
      And real evil villans don't go around calling themselves "Lex Luthor, the Greatest Criminal Mastermind of all time" or whatever it was.

A real evil genius will be a criminal mastermind without anyone ever knowing. Like the Kingpin (everyone believes Wilson Fisk = benevolent charity-donating good-guy that helps the city) in Spider-Man or Lionel Luthor (sweeps murders under the rug and pretends to be an upstanding citizen).

The only Lexes I've seen are the Superman Movie and Smallville. And MR is LEAPS AND BOUNDS over the other one.
      I can't stand campy stuff as a rule.

But, in the old days, supervillains weren't calculating underlords. They were overt megalomaniacs. Their criminal enterprise was a matter of personal pride.

In Superman you get a boastful Lex Luthor who parades evil deeds as though to flaunt the fact that not even Superman can lay a hand on him.

In Batman, you get the wide variety of costumed wackos, each of whom are more than pleased to commit crimes in the public view, mostly because they are the anti-Batmen: the masked personas working against him for control of Gotham.

In a more sophisticated era we can be pleased to hope for more. The prime example of late, of course, is Batman Begins. I am hoping beyond hope that the new Superman endeavor will be equally mind-blowing.

OT: MR is a savagely good Lex Luthor. He is by far my favorite non-Pete character in the history of the show to date. Actually, MR has gotten a ton more mileage, so I really should rank him #1 on my list.

Comment

Lex on Smallville is not a genius. Lex in the movies was. Geniuses are generally eccentric. And I'll tell you, when Luthor picked up that Kryptonite and put it around Superman's neck, the look in his eyes was just complete evil. Great line delivery too.

"Is that how a warped mind like yours gets its kicks? By planning the deaths of innocent people?"
        "No. By causing the deaths of innocent people."

Rosenbaum is great, but I prefer Hackman's Luthor. And obviously, you're comparing a TV actor to an Oscar winner, one of the most accomplished actors of our time. Don't go overboard.

Comment

Originally posted by aim2
          Lex on Smallville is not a genius. Lex in the movies was. Geniuses are generally eccentric. And I'll tell you, when Luthor picked up that Kryptonite and put it around Superman's neck, the look in his eyes was just complete evil. Great line delivery too.

"Is that how a warped mind like yours gets its kicks? By planning the deaths of innocent people?"

Rosenbaum is great, but I prefer Hackman's Luthor. And obviously, you're comparing a TV actor to an Oscar winner, one of the most accomplished actors of our time. Don't go overboard.
          Lex on Smallville not a genius? Well, he's certainly lacking in common sense for not figuring out Clark's secret yet, but he has the book-smarts to back up the "genius" claim that's for sure.

And "eccentric" doesn't always mean you go around acting like a bumbling idiot.

Comment

I think the time will come when Lex will become more genius throughout the season 5

Comment

Originally posted by tejdog1
              Absoultely agree. Michael Rosenbaum deserves an Emmy. Heck, after Shattered/Asylum, I was absoultely in AWE of the performance MR gave. If he didn't earn an Emmy for *that*, IMO, I doubt he ever will.
              I agree, but I would add "Onyx" to that list of MR's best episodes. Onyx could have been a silly episode, but MR's performance saved it. My first thought after watching Onyx was, "Rosenbaum deserves an Emmy nod for that." If he didn't get the nomination for any of those three episodes, then it just ain't gonna happen.

Comment

You know i wasnt really imprssed with his performance in onyx now that I think about it.

Now I am impressed. He hasnt had much screen time so far this season. The time he has had he has definatly impressed me though. I love the new direction

Comment

I swear...MR better have a story-plot this season of Smallville, I would like to see some more Lex-surrounding episodes. But MR has blown me away, he's THE reason I watch this show. Maybe this is just me..but one of the reasons I didn't like season 4 is because Lana seemed to be over-shadowing Lex in my perspective with the exception of Onyx of course. The story is about CLARK and LEX in my opinion, these plots made to make Lana seem like a more relevant character needs to stop. I mean, she's relevant yes, but the whole witch thing was a little bit too far IM.O.. On topic, MR to me has made Lex his own.

Comment

That's because Lex hasn't shown you all of his cards yet this season. If you really think about it, Lex has always been this way. His suspicion about Clark in the Pilot episode after he KNEW he hit Clark dead on proves that point. If they really are going into a new age Lex, they're doing a perfect job with that.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is: what if Lex never REALLY wanted to be Clark's friend, but was using friendship as a means to get closer to him and investigate him further? The only thing different about this season is that Lex has become, oh, more "reckless" you can say. But he's reckless because he is the man right now. He is head of a billion dollar company, and he believes that he is untouchable. So he can feel free to press the issue with Clark in whatever way he wants (or so he thinks). Much like the future Lex is.

Comment

I think IMDB accidentally omitted his Oscars for the years 1978, 1980 and 1987. Somebody should email them immediately.

Just because MR is on TV doesn't make him an under-skilled actor. He's also on the short end of his career. He's got a long time to do plenty of work post Smallville.

EDIT: Lex doesn't NEED to be a genius.

Comment

Michael is my favorite on SV and always has been! But Smallville's Luthor is written differently than the movies' Luthor. Hackman ( of course) did a great job as Lex as he was written. There was no conflict about his evil, he just did as he pleased, and he was very, very pleased with his evil. He was somewhat of a comedic character as well. He was a little bit of a clownish sociopath.
                        Rosenbaum's Lex is portrayed more as a tragic figure , in that he deals with an inner conflict and the part is definately "meatier". When he played his evil side Lex in "Onyx" I like how he approached finally being evil with such unadulterated joy, in such an over the top way, similar to Hackman's portrayal of Lex, I thought.
                        I know this sounds strange, but I think that when Lex finally goes completely dark, he should be much happier because he won't be conflicted any more and can truly be himself.
                        There is a line in Shakespeare ( which I can't quote exactly) about how the evil of a "smiling villian" is the worse kind.

Comment

And being the villian is always harder to play than the good guy. I hope Kevin Spacey gets inspired by MR rather than Hackman in Superman Returns. (although i quite liked Otis, that be great to see him again in Smallville as a goofy Luthorcorp employee...)

Comment

MR's acting is the reason i watch smallville too... but he really blew me away in Memoria... this was the episode where he had to play 10% with his lines and 90% with facial(and voice) expressions... damn he nailed it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bat21
                              Just saw Mortal here as Smallville doesn't air until Sundays here in Canada and MR was great once again, I really think this guy deserves an Emmy nomination but sci-fi shows are usually ignored for their acting of course.

For the first 4 seasons he really has played Lex with a nice balance, with at least the facade of the good in him slightly eding out the evil. Now MR has tuned up the evil side to the point where you can understand how Lex becomes a super villain. The difference is almost kind of subtle, for the all the other seasons I kept wondering how are they gonna get this character to the true evil he is, he was always coming across a little too good in his support and friendship with Clark. MR is totally making it convincing, he is downright creepy this year so far. If you've ever seen MR interviewed he is a totally nice and funny guy, so far from Lex it's unreal how different he comes across as Lex....

MR for an Emmy for best dramatic actor!

100% agree with what u and some have said. Superb comment from start to finish. I've become obssessed with MR's performances on smallville as much as the character and the obssession he has with Clark. I just admire great acting. I'm not even ashamed to put him along side my hero Al Pacino in The Godfather and Scarface. There are elements of his performances that remind me of Pacino. Watching his performances grips you emotionally. Some have highlighted the amazing performance in Shattered/Asylum, then Memora, Onyx (my fav..can't get enough of it), Lexmas, Mortal, Commencement and Descent among many others. I think in every episode he's produced a compelling portrayal of Lex Luthor.

Some have highlighted he should have won awards and rightly so. Producing performances like these and not being recognised enough is shameful. This guy and the character he plays is what got me hooked to this show. All the other cast members are great and there is great chemistry between the characters but no better example that MR's portrayal of Lex. Fascinating character and for me the best actor on TV. I'm not judging him just because of one defining role in his career. The fact is there is soo much depth to this character, MR played many different roles with gripping style and many eye-catching lines

Simply an amazing actor!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎