Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mortal" Reviews and Recaps

Please post ALL links to any reviews and recaps of the episode and limit their discussion to this one thread. Please DO NOT open a thread up for every review or recap. Thanks!

i thought this was an ok ep. should smallville stick to the old FOTW eps. or start focusing more on clark kent , his love intrests, his school, his destiny, his earth parents, etc.? i think they should focus more on clark, not FOTWs they ALL got old, pretty quik.
    it was ok and the clana sex made me gag.

Comment

one of my top 5 episodes to date!!

I thought it was an amazing episode!!!

Now, it's abvious that all the Clark/Chloe scenes were awsome, well written, and came across as very honest, "my best friend's an alien" chatter... definately one of the best parts of the episode. Allison is, in my opinion, besides John Glover, is one of the best actors on the entire show... and getting incredibly hot, too heh...

The Clark/Lana was a little cheesy (but I admit I have never been a real Chlana fan) but I thought they did a good job of keeping most of it off-camera.. and with the show trying to get those two together for so long it was actually a relief to see them actually "do it". Who knows, maybe this opens the door to kill Lana to make way for Chlois?? .. ya never know... the Lana character has got to die now... sometime....

What I don't understand is why a lot of people are so hard on the FOTWs this episode... I thought they were great!! After seeing 4 seasons of Clark finding and disposing of regular kids who drown, die, or just fall next to kryptonite, inhale it, or have some other kinda weak way of getting super powers these ones actually had depth!!! I mean, this is the first sign of actual Luthorcorp Level 3 experiments (after hearing about level 3 so many times i can't tell you how long i've waited for this)!!! And Lex himself releases them and sends them after Clark AND HIS FAMILY!!! Just to prove his obsession with Clark!!! Tommy had total attitude (love him from the Shield) and the twins were colorful, creepy, and actually very entertaining to watch (especially the whole fight scene with Lana where they get a nail in the hand)... as for the "Wonder Twins" reference I think it was just a cool DC shout out since they're powers were just remotely related to the actual (and less inventive) wonder twins... I thought it was hilarious (in a good way).

After 4 seasons this episode felt a little more comicbook style and I have to say I loved it!! Cool special effects, great dialogue (minus a few cheesy one-liners.. which actually fits a comicbook-stlye theme ironically enough heh), and some of the best FOTW to date (except Alicia.. but it's tough to beat a hot villian with cool powers).

10/10

Now bring back Tommy and the twins to kill Lana lol

Comment

My Mortal Review

I would love to hear what people thought of my review of Mortal.

Check out my review here:

Aside from the twins thing, I loved this episode but I think a lot of people disagree so I'd love to hear why...

Comment

I loved the episode too, nice job on the review. Keep it up and i also think clana deserves an angst free relationship.

Comment

I absolutely agree you there. I definitely loved this episode and it was refreshing to see an agnst free Clana, too. Great review, too especially about the paragraph on the sterotypes of twins. Neat!

Comment

Re: My Mortal Review

Originally posted by triplet
              I would love to hear what people thought of my review of Mortal.

Check out my review here:

Aside from the twins thing, I loved this episode but I think a lot of people disagree so I'd love to hear why...
              Except for a few things, it was a fairly good reveiw. But it doesn't bother you one bit that they are making Clark out to be so Obtuse?........or in my opinion....a Moron. Yeah, he saved the day in this one, but it was only after someone else indirectly showed him how......and it was also someone elses attitude of being prepared for anything that really gave him the avenue to do what he did...that and his own desperation.

He was an amazing young man, but now he's just a stupid freakin adult. In my opinion.

Comment

I'll watch the tape of it again and see, but I think he was only incompetant in dealing with how to find and get into the complex, not on figuring out Lex's plot, which honestly I think is the harder thing to decipher. I didn't peice that part together and I was watching the entire episode.

Comment

Re: Re: My Mortal Review

Originally posted by CK&CK
                  Except for a few things, it was a fairly good reveiw. But it doesn't bother you one bit that they are making Clark out to be so Obtuse?........or in my opinion....a Moron. Yeah, he saved the day in this one, but it was only after someone else indirectly showed him how......and it was also someone elses attitude of being prepared for anything that really gave him the avenue to do what he did...that and his own desperation.

He was an amazing young man, but now he's just a stupid freakin adult. In my opinion.
                  No, I think he was just caught off-guard so it didn't bother me.

I'm not sure he was so much being obtuse (which I think implies more an inability to learn, rather than not knowing something). He was just not used to doing things the way Chloe does them... it was a new experience for him.

To help Chloe he had to be a more flexible thinker than he is. Clark had to think more out of the box than he usually does. He's more of a linear thinker, normally, but by the end of the episode he'd learned to think through the problems without having to resort to brute strength.

I thought using the grenade and shorting out the house's electrical connection were very creative solutions to the problems he faced and Clark did all that on his own. Chloe didn't show him how to do that, she wasn't even there.

He learned.

That actually was one of the best things about this episode, Clark had a good character arc. He changed in the space of the episode in a very real way.

That's why he echoed what Chloe said, "Sometimes all you have to do is turn off the power."

Comment

Triplet great review. The only thing I disagreed on was that portrayal of the twins. For the record I am not a twin so maybe I would agree with you if I was but I didnt find their portrayal stereotypical. I thought the whole finishing each others sentences and feeling eachothers pain was just a device to make them have sort of an other worldly bond, afterall they are FOTWs. But maybe that wasnt Deknights plan, thats just the way I interpreted it.

Comment

Well, I think it's hackneyed... Meh.

It didn't ruin the episode for me but I still thought it was the weakest part.

I dunno, maybe if their weird connection with each other somehow advanced the plot or or maybe was even funny, then perhaps it would have been better.

I did think their power was cool. I forgot to mention it in my review, but the way that deputy's car slammed into the barrier they created was fantastic!

My kids agreed with me... They both thought Sparky's power was terrific too.
                      Last edited by triplet; 10-09-2005, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: My Mortal Review

Thanks for the review Triplet. It was well. thought out and written, and I pretty much agreed with most of it

[i]Originally posted by triplet
                        To help Chloe he had to be a more flexible thinker than he is. Clark had to think more out of the box than he usually does. He's more of a linear thinker, normally, but by the end of the episode he'd learned to think through the problems without having to resort to brute strength.

I agree about this. That's what having more power than several humans and villains that aren't much of a challenge will do for you. Situations are easily solved. But once in a while he has been forced to think outside the box, think with his mind and come up with different ways to take care of his problems, like with Seth in Magnetic, or Mxy in Jinx (I particularly liked this one). And he did do all of that himself.

It's just that on other occasions he has not had his peers and managed to cope like in Leech. I know not exactly the same situation, but it shows that he can deal when he is confronted with situations like this. In this episode I felt that they went too far and wrote Chloe at the expense of Clark (that shoudl never happen), just because she knew the secret and to highlight this new role she had as Clark's help. I like them together as friends and investigating, but I will most probably have an issue with they way they are written together, if it's all about how the perfect Chloe helps set Clark on his path, and do things they've shown do for himself previously.

I thought using the grenade and shorting out the house's electrical connection were very creative solutions to the problems he faced and Clark did all that on his own. Chloe didn't show him how to do that, she wasn't even there.

He learned.

That actually was one of the best things about this episode, Clark had a good character arc. He changed in the space of the episode in a very real way.

That's why he echoed what Chloe said, "Sometimes all you have to do is turn off the power."
                        I never felt like he needed the change anyway and not from Chloe, but if that's what it takes to get some more of Clark solving his own problems on his own this season, (something he has managed to do quite well in previous seasons), I suppose I have to take it. Chloe isn't going to be there in the future, Clark is going to be a lone Superhero, an award winning investigative journalist and I wouldn't seeds to these, especially the latter being sown.

Sorry about the rambling, I just kind of had an issue with this aspect of the episode. Which may be why I'm looking forward to his tussles with Braniac, hopefull he will be a villain that tests him physically and intellectually.

Comment

I loved your review! I totally agree with the twin thing. Although I'm not a twin, I have two sisters who are, and I was watching the episode with one of them and she was getting really irritated by the sort of cliche thing and how they made it seem like they were one person, not two individuals.

Great job!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: My Mortal Review

Originally posted by lynelle
                            Thanks for the review Triplet. It was well. thought out and written, and I pretty much agreed with most of it

I agree about this. That's what having more power than several humans and villains that aren't much of a challenge will do for you. Situations are easily solved. But once in a while he has been forced to think outside the box, think with his mind and come up with different ways to take care of his problems, like with Seth in Magnetic, or Mxy in Jinx (I particularly liked this one). And he did do all of that himself.

It's just that on other occasions he has not had his peers and managed to cope like in Leech. I know not exactly the same situation, but it shows that he can deal when he is confronted with situations like this. In this episode I felt that they went too far and wrote Chloe at the expense of Clark (that shoudl never happen), just because she knew the secret and to highlight this new role she had as Clark's help. I like them together as friends and investigating, but I will most probably have an issue with they way they are written together, if it's all about how the perfect Chloe helps set Clark on his path, and do things they've shown do for himself previously.
                            Interesting take on that, I'm not sure I totally agree but I think you have a point.

I'm not sure it will always be about Chloe helping Clark figure things out... They have vastly different skill sets. She's, I guess, moving more into being the techno-geek of the series. That is a new thing pretty much.

I mean we saw glimpses of that in Jinx with the scrambler thingy she got from her uncle Sam and she's always been pretty good at hacking into highly secure computer systems but the arsenal in the trunk of her car is entirely new.

That will give her character a different spin and it'll be interesting to see what kind of gadgets she can make with things at hand if they want to go the Maguiver route with her.

I never felt like he needed the change anyway and not from Chloe, but if that's what it takes to get some more of Clark solving his own problems on his own this season, (something he has managed to do quite well in previous seasons), I suppose I have to take it. Chloe isn't going to be there in the future, Clark is going to be a lone Superhero, an award winning investigative journalist and I wouldn't seeds to these, especially the latter being sown.
                            Well, Clark will always be changing so if you think he should never change I think you're watching the wrong show....

The show is about his journey to becoming the guy who wears blue tights. It's a series long character arc, so his changes from episode to episode are usually more subtle.

The change in this episode was rare for him as a character... I think it was a nice one, though.

He's never really had to deal with problems quite like these, but in the other power-free episodes from before his instinct was to resort to some kind of physical confrontation.

He fought with Eric in Leech and brought a shotgun to deal with Isobel in the caves. And in Perry, which he wasn't really power-free much, he again had to save the day physically by pulling him and Perry to safety.

In Transference, if you could consider the time in Lionel's body as Clark being power-free, again he resorted to physical force to solve the primary problem with the bully.

I suppose he did trick Lionel by getting Edgar to lure him there with that story of the Transference not being permanent, so him using his brains isn't unheard of. It's just kinda rare.

Sorry about the rambling, I just kind of had an issue with this aspect of the episode. Which may be why I'm looking forward to his tussles with Braniac, hopefull he will be a villain that tests him physically and intellectually.
                            Rambling is good. I ramble a bit myself from time to time...

But that testing of Clark is the beauty of Brainiac as a villain.

It'll be a joy to see.

That's why this season will be the best one yet.

Originally posted by aqua
                            I loved your review! I totally agree with the twin thing. Although I'm not a twin, I have two sisters who are, and I was watching the episode with one of them and she was getting really irritated by the sort of cliche thing and how they made it seem like they were one person, not two individuals.

Great job!
                            Thanks.

Yeah, it made me cringe.

Oh, well... better than average episode aside from that so I'll give DeKnight a mulligan on that one...
                            Last edited by triplet; 10-09-2005, 11:24 AM.

Comment

i liked your review but like the last one it was a love letter to clark/tom welling. i know hes the star of the show but he is one of three leads. its smallville -not the tom welling showcase

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎