Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaos at the Earth's Core:
    I gotta say, I was a little dissapointed with this episode. It had some funny moments (Supergirl's fanclub, and one fan getting angry with Stargirl), but it was too formulaic. As soon as Stargirl started with her attitude, you knew there was going to be problems with her and Supergirl until they eventually came together at the end... which is basically what happened.

I did like that we got the original Metallo's voice back, as I believe in Hereafter they used someone else. I'm a stickler for voice acting continuity. Plus, Malcolm McDowell is just plain better.

I was also a little disappointed with Green Lantern's approach to Silver Banshee. This woman was walking around just wiping everybody out effortlessly, and was frickin scary, and he just pops in on her like she's some nobody thug. I'd like to see the heroes take a step back every once in a while when they see a villain. If you downplay the villains, we're not going to believe they are a threat.

I didn't understand the whole Kryptonite not killing Supergirl immediately because her powers were messed with thing. If that place was taking her powers away from her, and she was made weaker, shouldn't the Kryptonite only have killed her even faster?

The climactic battle amounted to absolutely nothing. There was a lousy swordfight and the forces of evil just got beat... and not even in a compelling way. They just lost. That was it. That bothered me.

I did think it was interesting that they had Metallo short circuit the way he did when he tried to reveal his allegiance to the Legion. I DIDN'T like how quickly he turned, though. He was "I'll never talk" one sentence and "All right, I'll tell you everything" the next. John Stewart is no Batman as far as interrogators go. That was weak.

----

To Another Shore:
    Along with Chaos, we have another example of an episode where we need a 1-2 minute speech loaded with exposition so we know what the heck's going to happen. This is obviously due to the fact that we are in the half hour format, but it's also seriously lame. I wasn't one of those kids who needed his mother to read him a bedtime story, and I don't now need Grodd to do it either. The one thing I will give them credit for is the art that they used during that sequence... nice comic book feel.

Devil Ray? DEVIL RAY?! So... what? Couldn't get the rights to use the name Black Manta? Maybe didn't want to use the name because it sounds a little racist? Ugh.

Aquaman's main villain? Check. Aquaman? No check?! Is it possible the "No Bat-Rogues" rule has found its way to Aquaman? It's spreading like a plague I tells ya!

I loved seeing Wonder Woman's changing into costume scene, but how out of place and random was that?

So... let me get this straight... That dart was filled with enough poison to kill Wonder Woman, but then she's fine? Did I miss something? Please, somebody tell me if I wasn't paying attention when MM healed her or something.

Is anybody else NOT scared of Grodd AT ALL? I'm sorry, but Luthor was one sick son of a gun last season, and freaked me out. Grodd is just blah compared to him. It also doesn't help that his team has failed in their only two real missions. What the heck? This is supposed to be some kind of mega-force of villains and they can't do anything right! Why am I scared of them even a little bit?

I did like the MM storyline of him being isolated and now going to mingle with humanity so he can appreciate them more. That was a nice touch, I will admit. That's the kind of storytelling we got last year.

I liked seeing the government guy using some rather Firefly (Bat villain) looking technology. It makes sense that the government would make use of some of the tech they confiscate from bad guys. He also had some pretty funny lines (I just like to shoot missiles at tiny submarines).

---

All in all, a very disappointing week for me. Two completely throw away episodes that only serve to make the Legion of Doom look entirely feeble.

And one more thing... I understand that they want to save Batman's villains for The Batman and they don't want it to be confusing to have two different Jokers... but dude! JLU is on at 10:00 at night! The Batman is a kids show. The kids who are so young that they would get confused aren't awake at 10:00 at night to watch JLU, and the one's that are awake are old enough to know the difference. Totally lame.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 09-25-2005, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I just think the whole idea to re-make the Batman cartoon into a different continuity is stupid, especially when you have more than 3 seasons worth of the animated series from 10 years ago that they could put into reruns. Lets not forget the new movie franchise that just started this past summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
        I didn't understand the whole Kryptonite not killing Supergirl immediately because her powers were messed with thing.
        I am confused by this as well, but for a different reason. I remember in the episode with Ivo's Android where Supergirl and Steel try to follow Lex to his safehouse ("The Return"?), Supergirl is stopped by kryptonite shards.

But wait... I thought Supergirl wasn't from Krypton - I thought she was from the sister planet, Argos.

Superman: The Animated Series was such a long time ago and I can't ever remember her coming into contact with kryptonite or what the effect was, but I did purchase the "Superman: The Animated Series Guide" by Scott Beatty and he makes a point to note that Supergirl is unaffected by kryptonite because she is simply not Kryptonian.

So apparently, he's either wrong or someone at JLU forgot her origins. Since Scott wrote his guide before Justice League Unlimited, I'm willing to bet that he just assumed Kara wasn't affected by kryptonite before Timm and co. decided either way on the issue and thus Beatty is wrong this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiked

Chaos at the Earth's Core: I always love seeing Supergirl (her new costume is awesome). I like Stargirl as well. Hopefully we'll see more of her without the jealously angst.

To Another Shore: Give it up for Wonder Woman's transformation scene! It's good to see more of Green Arrow. I liked how they handled J'Onn's story. I'm glad the writer's addressed the issue of his lack of on field involvement.
          I agree I liked those two approaches to the episodes. I thought Supergirl's fanclub was funny. I loved Metallio(sp?) vs. Supergirl at the end, and Stargirl and Supergirl at the end. 'Bout time she got a friend her own age .

Everything else I really wasn't into per sa.

The whole k-nite stuff on Supergirl still boggles my mind lol.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
            I am confused by this as well, but for a different reason. I remember in the episode with Ivo's Android where Supergirl and Steel try to follow Lex to his safehouse ("The Return"?), Supergirl is stopped by kryptonite shards.

But wait... I thought Supergirl wasn't from Krypton - I thought she was from the sister planet, Argos.

Superman: The Animated Series was such a long time ago and I can't ever remember her coming into contact with kryptonite or what the effect was, but I did purchase the "Superman: The Animated Series Guide" by Scott Beatty and he makes a point to note that Supergirl is unaffected by kryptonite because she is simply not Kryptonian.

So apparently, he's either wrong or someone at JLU forgot her origins. Since Scott wrote his guide before Justice League Unlimited, I'm willing to bet that he just assumed Kara wasn't affected by kryptonite before Timm and co. decided either way on the issue and thus Beatty is wrong this time.
            The whole thing is pretty fluxed.

Comment

Yea, there's just so much going on with all these various super heroes that the writers won't be able to maintain proper continuity. When you think of it though, that can't be half as tough as it is for the comic book writers who have to deal with over 30-40 years of continuity.

Comment

Ya I saw these two last night also it was neat seeing
                Supergirl's new look I was geting tired of the white shirt thing
                and to I laughed outloud at the fan club part.Also it was very
                interesting to see were Matleo went to also.And the Wonder
                Woman episode was so so a little boring at first and to I was
                surprised to see the Leauge in the watch tower.I guess that one
                was made during last season sometime but anywho.The Super-
                Girl Epy was fun to watch it was the best one in my book

Comment

Originally posted by clark25
                  Ya I saw these two last night also it was neat seeing
                  Supergirl's new look I was geting tired of the white shirt thing
                  and to I laughed outloud at the fan club part.Also it was very
                  interesting to see were Matleo went to also.And the Wonder
                  Woman episode was so so a little boring at first and to I was
                  surprised to see the Leauge in the watch tower.I guess that one
                  was made during last season sometime but anywho.The Super-
                  Girl Epy was fun to watch it was the best one in my book
                  Phew.

The Watchtower still exists, it just doesn't have the huge canon anymore.

Comment

BTW, I forgot to mention my favorite part in that episode with Wonder Woman. Did everyone get the Linda Carter reference when Diana started spinning around as she transformed her civilian clothes into her super hero uniform? That was so cool!

Comment

I was wondering about Supergirl myself but on the JLU website they say she is less affected by Kryptonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Jephael
                        BTW, I forgot to mention my favorite part in that episode with Wonder Woman. Did everyone get the Linda Carter reference when Diana started spinning around as she transformed her civilian clothes into her super hero uniform? That was so cool!
                        Yea, I loved that . She had to do sometime lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy

Devil Ray? DEVIL RAY?! So... what? Couldn't get the rights to use the name Black Manta? Maybe didn't want to use the name because it sounds a little racist? Ugh.

Aquaman's main villain? Check. Aquaman? No check?! Is it possible the "No Bat-Rogues" rule has found its way to Aquaman? It's spreading like a plague I tells ya!
                          You're correct, Both Black Manta and Aquaman can't be used this season. As a result they used a totally new character called Devil ray that looks, acts, and talks like black manta

Spoilers for smallville. You've been warned.

S
                          t
                          e
                          p
                          h
                          a
                          n
                          i
                          e

B
                          r
                          o
                          w
                          n
                          aka the Spoiler

Supposedly Aquaman and Black manta will be appearing in a future episode of smallville so the both of them are off-limits from the JLU. Completely and utterly stupid, I know. Which is a shame because judging from how Bart was introduced, Aquaman will probably be a cool characther, but he won't be MY aquaman.

Comment

The Batman rogues gallery thing has been kind of overblown...who in his rogues gallery would really stand a chance against the JLU anyway? This is why so far the only JL/JLU episode centering around a Batman rogue was the 2-parter with the Joker, which was a GREAT episode, but even for that, they couldn't have J'onn in it, b/c his telepathic powers would have foiled the Joker's plan and hideout instantly.

Comment

Three words as to one bat villain who could make life he11 for the JLU:

RA'S

AL

GHUL

This man is richer than bruce wayne, immortal, and totally obsessed with cleansing the earth of the disease that is humanity. They could do a story a la tower of babel, which would tie in with the continuity already set up in RoTJ, where Batman was a foudning league member, but never made it past reserve status, and eventually just broke all ties off. He could have plans on the JL. Ra's could use them, via talia breaking into the cave and stealing them, and the league could vote him out due to trust issues. Then later, they could bring him back as a consultant, associate member, but he never regains the trust that was placed in him before, and eventually, at the end of the series, breaks away, and never looks back.

Comment

He is not immortal anymore, b/c the Lazarus pits can no longer sustain him (reference to "The Demon Reborn")....this isn't the Ra's Al Ghoul from the comics. However, you bring up a good point...at least he COULD present a threat to the JLU.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎