No announcement yet.

A Night to Remember, A Night to Forget

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Night to Remember, A Night to Forget

I think it's about time there was a story in this section, so here is my attempt, I guess we'll see if anyone reads it!

Title: A Night to Remember, A Night to Forget
    Author: lex_4_president
    Pairing: Lex/Lois
    Rating: T
    Summary: Lois and Lex go out on a first date. (I have no idea how long it will be, but I’ll keep going until I can go no more…or until people lose interest!)
    Timeframe: Season 4, immediately after Episode “Lucy” (meaning nothing else from season 4, or soon to be season 5, has happened yet)
    And there are no spoilers that I know of, nor intentionally put in!!

A Night to Remember, A Night to Forget

The night was cool and dark. The only light in the dark coming from the half-moon that was slowly rising in the black sky, and the sweeping headlights of the lone car on the blacktop highway. The sleek, black limo glided effortlessly over the wet roadway. The patter of raindrops had created a mirrored surface on the deserted road.

Outside the car, the corn stalks were tall and green, close to harvest. It had been a good year for the farmers of Kansas. There had been plenty of rain and much sun. People were happy and content.

The limo slowed as it reached its destination. It turned into the gravel driveway, slowly creeping towards the yellow farmhouse where lights were glowing warmly through the bottom floor windows.

The limo pulled alongside a cherry red pickup and stopped, idling almost silently. There were shadows moving around inside the house. No one had heard the limo arrive. The driver stepped out of the limo, and opened an umbrella against the light drizzle. His black dress shoes crunched softly in the gravel of the drive as he moved to open the rear door of the limo. The large umbrella shielded the man leaving the limo, his own black shoes creating their own noises as he stood in the driveway.

The man was dressed in a dark blue suit. So dark blue it appeared almost black. His shirt and tie the same blue color. As he walked from the limo to the front porch of the farmhouse under the cover of the umbrella, he smoothed the fabric of his expensive suit and straightened his tie. Once under the cover of the porch, the driver stopped and waited, the umbrella still open, shielding himself from the light rain.

The man in the blue suit paused outside the front door. He was nervous, a new feeling for him. He took a deep breath then rang the doorbell. He smiled as he heard her name called through the door. A few moments later the door swung open and the smiling face of Mrs. Kent greeted him.

“Lex, come in,” Martha Kent opened the front door wide and stepped aside so Lex Luthor could enter.

“Mrs. Kent, it’s wonderful to see you,” Lex, as he passed her in the doorway, greeted her with a kiss on each cheek.

Martha Kent, caught slightly off guard, giggled softly and flushed at the gesture. Lex smiled at her pink cheeks. As Martha closed the door behind him, Lex glanced around the entryway of the Kent home. It was as neat, tidy, and comfortable as always.

“Lois should be right down,” Martha smiled as she motioned for Lex to sit down on the living room sofa. Lex nodded and sat on the sofa.

“Where are Clark and Mr. Kent this evening?” Lex asked in what he hoped was a casual manner. After the argument he and Clark had over Lex taking Lois out, Lex couldn’t help but wonder where he was.

“They went to Metropolis. A guy’s night out,” Martha didn’t elaborate and Lex noticed her tone became superficially polite. He nodded noncommittally and dropped the subject.

“Ready,” Lois’ voice from behind startled both Lex and Martha, who sat with their backs to the staircase. Lex rose from the sofa and turned, taking in the astonishing sight of Lois Lane. It had taken much coercion and discussion before Lois finally agreed to let Lex take her out. She was incredibly stubborn, and Lex found her fascinating. He smiled as he noticed she was barefoot, holding her strappy stiletto heels in her hand. And as he took in the rest of her he felt a warm sensation in the pit of his stomach.

Her thick, dark hair was pulled up into a simple French twist, and she wore a medium length silver dress with spaghetti straps, a deep v-neck and an open back.

“You look amazing, Lois,” Lex spoke, truthfully feeling slightly flushed, and hot in the face.

Lois stopped herself from rolling her eyes in response. “Thanks,” she said shortly. “I won’t be late, Mrs. Kent,” she added as Lex offered her his arm. Lois considered Lex’s gesture for a moment, and then apparently decided it was okay to let him be a gentleman and took his arm.

“Have fun!” Martha called as she shut the door behind them. Out on the front porch Lex paused.

“Do you want to put your shoes on?” He asked. Lois looked at him, raising one of her eyebrows slightly.

“I’m fine,” she said as she walked confidently down the porch stairs where she waited under the umbrella for Lex. “Coming?” She grinned.

Lex looked at her, amused, and stuffing his hands into his pockets he descended the steps after her. The driver held the umbrella over the duo as they crossed the manicured lawn and came to the gate. The drizzle had progressed to light rain, and the driveway was beginning to puddle. But Lois didn’t pause, so Lex and the driver could do nothing but follow. Lois walked straight through the forming puddles to the limo, where the driver held open the door for Lois, then Lex.

“I love the rain,” Lois stated, as Lex sat in the car and the door was shut behind him. Lois kicked her feet up in front of her, examining them for dirt. Satisfied that they were just wet with water she dropped them back to the floor of the car, tossing her strappy sandals on the floor next to them.

“Where’re we going?” Lois asked, turning sideways to look at Lex. The limo started to move, pulling slowly out of the Kent driveway.

Lex smiled at her, then half-shrugged. “I thought we’d go to Chicago for dinner.”

Lois, who had been picking at her fingernails (she was trying so hard to let them grow) paused, her brow furrowed in disbelief.

“Chicago? You must be joking. You want to drive to Chicago to have dinner,” Lois stared at Lex.

“Drive? No. We are taking the Luthorcorp helicopter. We should be to the Smallville Municipal Airport shortly,” Lex replied calmly. He enjoyed Lois’ brazenness immensely.

“Oh, right,” Lois smiled. She turned her head and looked out the window, she couldn’t see much but fields of corn passing her by. She sighed.

“What? Is it Lucy?” Lex touched Lois’ bare shoulder, the feel of her warm, soft skin sending electric shocks through Lex. He resisted the urge to throw her back against the limo seat and kiss her. Instead he withdrew his hand, removing the temptation of touch.

“Lucy, my wayward sister…I still can’t believe the trouble she got us all into. I have been avoiding the General for days. I don’t know what to tell him. I know he’ll blame me for not being more responsible,” Lois said still looking out the window, unaware of the battle Lex was waging with himself.

“I would hope he’d understand you can’t control your sister. You’ve done all you can, all you could’ve done. If your sister wasn’t smart enough to learn from her amazing older sister, well then that’s her loss,” Lex spoke plainly.

Lois turned in the car seat, her knees lightly rubbing Lex’s. Lex tried to keep his eyes on her face, but all he could feel was the soft touch as the movement of the car kept their knees in contact.

“That’s very gracious of you to say, Lex. Especially after what Lucy did, stealing your car and all,” Lois blushed, and Lex grew more enamored. That she felt so much, and that she took it so personally that Lex didn’t blame her for her sister’s actions just confirmed to Lex that Lois was one of the most amazing young women he’d ever had the pleasure to meet. And Lex had met a lot of women. Yes, she could be course, and obnoxious, and she did make some bad choices; but overall she was more together than a lot of women twice times her age. It must run in the family, as Chloe was very similar.

“What?” Lex looked at Lois, her face reflecting a confused half smile to go along with her question. Lex realized he had been grinning like a fool, thinking of her. He cleared his expression.

“It’s nothing. Have you been to Chicago before?” Lex asked, trying to change to topic of conversation to something a little less emotional.

“I’ve been-,” Lois started to answer when suddenly the car jolted to the right, sending Lois halfway across Lex’s lap. Lex, grabbing her by the shoulders her to keep her from falling to the floor of the car, gently lifted her from his lap.

“Are you alright?” He asked her. Lois nodded. The limo, still swerving a bit, slowed considerably and rolled to a stop. Lex lowered the window between the rear of the limo and the driver.

“Jack, what happened?” Lex asked as the driver turned at the sound of the window. Outside the light rain was steadily increasing.

“I think we have a flat, Mr. Luthor,” the driver responded, already preparing to get out and check, the raingear that was kept in the car out on the passenger seat. “I’ll go check, sir.”

Lex nodded and sat back next to Lois. He looked to her and smiled, “I hope this is all the hassle we have to deal with tonight.”
    Last edited by lex_4_president; 08-23-2005, 10:10 PM.

Hi lex_4_president, this is a nice start to a sweet story. Great writing too.

Lex & Lois are my fave characters so Im looking forward to reading more.

Comment

Very nice!
      I'm looking forward to read more!!

Comment

Oooohhh such a great start, Shelle! You know I love the Lex/Lois pairing, and I've been thirsting for you to do some Romantic Lexy. Your writing is simply wonderful, and you have a magical way of capturing details perfectly. I love Lex as written by you and am so anxious to see where this goes.

(BTW--EEEKKKKK!!! Only a week to go SWO! Yeep! )

Comment

brianna, BelgianTomfan, ferd:
          Thanks for reading!

I will hopefully have a new piece up before next week, when I will be out of town!

p.s. ferd...I know-I can't believe that in one week we'll be in Atlanta...yikes! heehee! And thanks for your nice words, they mean a lot because I think you too, are a great writer

Comment

ppms

Comment

A/N: I'll be out of town for the holiday weekend, so it'll be over a week before I get this updated again. Thanks everyone for reading. I'm glad to have a little audience!

Jack, the limo driver, had the flat tire changed in 15 minutes, even though it was pouring rain.

Lois had questioned whether they ought to help, but Lex had shot her down. “It’s why he makes six-figures to drive me around,” he said.

Lois simply nodded and 15 minutes later they were back on the move.

The duo sat in silence and Lex suddenly found himself racking his brain for any topic of conversation. For what was maybe the second time in his life, Lex was speechless. And not one to sit through uncomfortable silences, Lex shifted in his seat. The leather underneath him offering a noise that most would consider in poor taste. Lex paused mid-shift, and horrified he hazarded a glance at Lois. She was staring right at him, an amused smirk on her face. Lex opened his mouth to explain when Lois spoke.

“Relax, Lex. I know it was the leather of the seat,” she flashed him a grin. Lex, never confronted with a situation like this before, returned the smile apprehensively and relaxed in his seat where thankfully no more noises sounding like bodily functions were made.

Lex, still feeling completely unlike himself, glanced out the window. The sky was black. Not a star could be seen, and the rain was steadily increasing, now coming down in sheets.

I’m not sure we’ll be able to fly to Chicago in this weather, Lex thought, looking to Lois. She was also staring out the window, and Lex could see that a strand of hair had fallen out, touching her neck. Lex’s hand was out half the distance to her when he pulled it back. Lex tried to figure out what was wrong with him. He didn’t think Lois would appreciate if Lex were to suddenly start stroking her hair. It was still to early in the evening. What is she doing to me? Lex thought folding his hands on his lap so they wouldn’t stray again.

“This weather isn’t cooperating like I wish it would,” Lex said absently-trying to fill the deafening silence that was still hanging over them.

Lois shrugged. “Hey, I’m not picky. We could go bowling and have greasy pizza and beer for all I care. I’m just glad to be out of the house. Sitting around that place when half the occupants are upset with me is a little uncomfortable.”

“Is Clark upset with you, too?” He asked, preparing for the possible destruction of the so far somewhat pleasant evening.

Lois shrugged noncommittally.

“Yeah, but what else is new. Clark and I fight all the time. We’re worse than siblings, I think. Whether it’s hot water for showers, the last drink of milk, or dating Lex Luthor, it’s all the same.”

“And Mr. Kent just doesn’t like me or trust me, so of course he’d protest,” Lex added, watching Lois nod.

She looked over to him, with a half smile, “Sorry?” She offered.

“I’m used to people disliking me-it comes with being a Luthor. I deal with it daily,” Lex, forcing a smile, said to Lois.

For some unexplained reason, the fact that Jonathan Kent didn’t like Lex had always bothered him. Maybe it was his need for a principled man, a father figure with morals and standards. Lex wasn’t sure why it was so important to him. He’d tried so hard, though trying to gain the elder Kent’s acceptance had proved harder than Lex realized. So he’d given up. He’d saved Clark and Jonathan from death on several occasions, but there was still no room for forgiveness in carrying the Luthor surname.

“Mrs. Kent just told me to have fun,” Lois added, disrupting Lex’s thoughts.

“Mrs. Kent has always been good to me. I see her as a mother-figure,” Lex added.

“Me too. Even though I told her I was just going out with you to get you off my back, she still insisted I have a good time.”

Lex felt his breath catch like he’d been punched in the gut. He couldn’t breath and his chest felt compressed, like there was an elephant standing on him. Lex’s heart, which had been beating warmly while in the presence of Lois, grew cold at her apparent lack of interest. Lex kept up appearances however, and only smiled (though somewhat weakly) at Lois, who apparently was unaware she’d said anything hurtful.

Lex recovered quickly, feeling more determined to show Lois a fabulous time and maybe make himself worthy in her eyes. Lex locked his jaw. Time for a change of subject, he thought.

Lois sat, hands in her lap, staring out the window once again.

“Lois, would you like a drink?” Lex moved himself nearer the minibar-silently cursing himself for not offering sooner.

“Sure,” she moved closer to Lex, leaning across him to read the labels on the assorted bottles.

Lex closed his eyes and inhaled her scent. He didn’t need any liquor, she was intoxicating enough. His hand wanted desperately to trace down her neck and along her exposed back. Her exposed skin looked smooth and inviting.

She sat back up, startling Lex out of his fantasy, and pointed to a tall bottle of white wine. “I’ll have some of that, thanks.”

Moments later, she gladly accepted the wine glass. Lex then poured himself a drink as well.

The limo started to slow, and made a wide turn. Lex glanced outside, barely able to make out the sign, Smallville Municipal Airport.

Figures, Lex thought.

“It appears we are here,” Lex set his glass of brandy on the minibar as the car slowed at the entrance gate.

The barrier window lowered after few moments.

“Sir, air control has grounded all scheduled flights, visibility is zero.”

“Why didn’t they call me? I could have made alternate plans,” Lex’s tone sharp with frustration. They wasted so much time driving out here, just because Lionel wouldn’t let the copter land at the mansion. Lex felt a growing resentment towards his father and his apparent control over everything in Lex’s life. It wouldn’t have surprised Lex if Lionel had somehow conjured the bad weather too.

“Sir, they tried calling but the network is jammed and the weather is severally interfering with cell service.”

Lex locked his jaw. “This is ridiculous.”

“Lex, it’s fine, really,” Lois piped up, reaching her hand forward and touching his shoulder, the warmth of her hand immediately calming him.

Realizing he was on the edge of the seat, he relaxed and sat back. Lex looked over at Lois. She was looking at him, a slight furrow on her brow. Lex warmed again at the look, taking it as concern for him. He smiled at her and her own face relaxed. Lex took his glass back from the top of the bar and nodded to the driver. He took several deep breaths before he spoke again.

“Jack, take us back to town.”

Jack nodded and raised the window, leaving Lex alone with Lois again. Soon the car was swaying with motion, the occupants on their way back to Smallville.

“I’m sorry, Lois. It looks like we’ll have to make other plans,” Lex sipped his brandy, eyeing her over his glass.

“Okay. So do you have any ideas?” Lois asked sipping her wine and meeting Lex’s stare. Lex felt his pulse quicken as he resisted the urge, again, to take her in his arms and kiss her.

Instead Lex shrugged. “I’ll figure something out.”
              Last edited by lex_4_president; 08-29-2005, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Loving every second of this. You're making me want to do one for the Adult Threads.

Comment

it is a great story keep it up!

Comment

PPMS.

Comment

Update, finally!!!

Downtown Smallville didn’t have much to offer by way of restaurants. There was The Talon (which Lex was absolutely not taking Lois to), there was the Chinese place (cheap imitation in Lex’s mind), there was the Brewery (it wasn’t a burger and beer night for Lex), and there was the Italian Restaurant. Lex had been to the Italian place once, and hadn’t been impressed. But seeing as they were stuck within the constraints of what Smallville had to offer, Lex didn’t have the option of being picky. It was the nicest place in town, even though that wasn’t saying much.

As the limo pulled up outside the restaurant there was a bright flash of lightening and within seconds a loud crack of thunder followed. The light drizzle from earlier in the day was developing into a full fledged thunderstorm.

Lex and Lois exchanged nervous smiles.

Thankfully the restaurant had a covered driveway, so Jack, the limo driver, let Lex and Lois out beneath the shelter of the awning. The wind had picked up a bit, and Lex felt the spatter of rain on his head.

Lex grasped Lois’s hand and they walked quickly to the entrance. As they entered the restaurant, Lex removed Lois’s shawl and handed it over to the maitre’d.

As Lex turned back to Lois he could hear her giggling.

“What?” Lex asked, amused by her light laughter.

Lois nodded to the room before them and as Lex looked out at the room he also offered a slight laugh. It was completely empty.

In a way it was nice to be alone. It was quiet, and they had their choice of table. Lex led Lois to a table near the back, next to a fireplace. The light was dimmer, and the fire cast warm shadows on Lois’s bare shoulders. Lex found himself staring at her again; staring at her bright brown eyes and her full lips; at her sleek neck and smooth shoulders, at her long thin arms.

“Earth to Lex…” Lois was waving her hand in front of Lex’s face.

“I’m sorry, Lois,” Lex responded. He had been lost in his thoughts, thoughts of her…suddenly Lex was thankful for the dim light and the warm glow from the fire. He didn’t want Lois to see him blush.

“Tell me something,” Lois asked, resting her chin in her hand, leaning across the table with an inquisitive look in her eye.

“Like what?” Lex responded, and with all his restraint he kept his eyes on her face.

“Something no one else knows, something about you that you don’t share with just anyone,” Lois dropped her hand, crossing her arms on the table. She tilted her head and waited expectantly.

Lex felt a momentary pulse of panic. There were a lot of things that no one knew. There were a lot of things Lex kept to himself. But he suddenly felt that he wanted to share these things with Lois. He felt he would almost tell her anything she asked. He realized with a shock that he had no power here. It was all in Lois’s hands. Now the trick was to keep her from discovering that she held such power over him.

Lex regarded Lois as he leaned back in his chair, taking a sip of the wine that they had ordered. She held her gaze, and Lex felt his admiration for her grow.

Suddenly he smiled as a memory came back to him. “Okay, this may not be what you had in mind, but here goes.”

Lois smiled, “Okay...”

“I went to a private school-an uptight, white-collar, rich boy’s school. My father dumped me there every year, and I would see him for maybe a month over summer, and sometimes at Christmas. Most of the time I spent my summers and other holiday’s with the housekeeper. One particular Christmas when I was thirteen my father was supposed to take me skiing in the Alps. But he cancelled, leaving me for either some bimbo, or some business deal that couldn’t wait a few days so that he could take me skiing.”

Lois sat, her eyes betraying her empathy for the situation Lex was describing. Lex figured she probably understood better than anyone.

“The night after my father had called, Christmas eve actually, I snuck out of the house taking my father’s gold watch-well, one of his many gold-watches-and hitch-hiked through the night. Let me tell you, I got some strange looks before this nice old lady stopped. I think people were freaked out about this young bald kid. They probably thought I was some Neo-Nazi escaped from a juvenile prison or something.”

Lois smiled.

“So, this old lady started talking to me, telling me how she was driving through the night so she could surprise her son and daughter-in-law on Christmas morning. And then without even realizing it, I ended up telling her all about my mother’s death, and my father,” Lex paused to drink from his wine glass.

“She was a very sweet woman, and was kind enough to drive me all the way back home, even though it was going to make her that much later for her own Christmas celebration. I tried to give her the gold watch as payment, but she wouldn’t take it. So I shoved it under the seat of her car. She never tried to bring the watch back, at least that I know of. I can only hope she found it and either pawned it or gave it to her son. My father never missed it, that I know. And no one ever missed me. I slept in late that Christmas morning, and spent the day with many expensive gifts, but no family to share them with,” Lex turned his wine glass between his hands, staring at the deep red liquid as it moved in the glass.

“God, Lex, that’s so depressing,” Lois stared at him. “Not exactly the kind of story I was looking for. I can’t imagine what kind of childhood that must have been for you-being alone. I at least had my sister, well, most of the time.”

Lex smiled at Lois, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to drag the night down. I can think of another story if you wish.”

Lois shook her head. “No way, you’re Mister Depressing. Anyway, it’s my turn to tell a story,” she grinned, and Lex couldn’t help but grin back.

“Lucy and I ran away once. This was right after our mom died. The General was threatening to move us to Germany, I think it was. Lucy and I-well, mainly me-didn’t want to move. The house was still where my mom was, you know?”

Lex nodded. He did know, it had been somewhat the same for him, only he’d wanted to move away from where his mother had lived. There were too many painful memories…

Lois suddenly started laughing and Lex looked at her, a little surprised at her outburst. He smiled confusedly back.

“Sorry, I was just remembering,” Lois stopped laughing and took a breath. “When Lucy and I tried to run away, we packed our little pink suitcases with all our stuffed animals, we each took a handful of Oreo’s from the kitchen and we made it halfway down the driveway before the officer next door stopped us. We really weren’t very smart, since we lived on the Army base.”

Lex smiled. “Guess we have a bit more in common than I originally thought.”

“Yeah, guess so,” Lois said, as if deep in thought. She and Lex were staring at each other, and would have stayed that way had their food not arrived at that precise moment.

Dinner passed with polite conversation-no references to dead mothers or hitch-hiking runaway preteens. It was relaxing and Lex was once again glad for the empty restaurant.

As the waiter cleared their dinner and brought out the dessert cart, Lois’s cell phone rang out, some pop song ring tone. Lois smiled apologetically as she quickly pulled her phone out of her purse and turned it off.

“Chloe,” she said.

“If you need to talk to her its okay,” Lex offered.

Lois shook her head. “It can wait.”

Lex smiled, feeling for the first time since he had picked Lois up that he had her undivided attention.

“So shall we order dessert?”

Comment

Keep it coming. Still loving it.

Comment

ppms

Comment

Need some more here

Comment

Sorry for the delay, I was lacking in inspiration. But thanks to my...two readers.

As Lex and Lois left the restaurant, they discovered the rainstorm had ceased. The clouds had dissipated and the night was clear and cool, the air fresh with the scent of rain.

“Wow, this is amazing,” Lois smiled as they walked out to the waiting limo, Lois stepping out from under the covered entrance.

“I don’t remember seeing a night so clear in a very long time. It’s kind of…” Lois let her voice trail off.

Lex had been looking up at the stars and he turned to Lois when her voice faded. She was looking down, her arms crossed over her chest as if she were chilled. She had a look on her face, pensive, confused, happy...Lex couldn’t quite decipher what she might be feeling.

He removed his jacket and draped it over Lois’s shoulders. She looked at him and smiled. They stood out on the driveway of the restaurant, out from under the awning, staring at the stars.

It’s kind of romantic, Lex thought.

“Are you ready to go?” Lex asked after a few minutes of staring. Lex saw Lois shiver slightly, than she nodded.

Back in the limo Lois started to remove Lex’s jacket but he shook his head and placed it back around her shoulders, this time leaving his arm around her. He felt her stiffen, but as the limo pulled out onto the empty street she slowly relaxed into him, and Lex felt completely comfortable with the feel of her weight against him.

“So, where’re we going now?” Lois asked, her hands folded in her lap.

“Well, something you said earlier gave me an idea,” Lex cryptically answered then said nothing more.

Lois turned her head and looked up at Lex, an amused but questioning look on her face. Lex turned his head down to her, his breath momentarily catching in his throat. Their faces were inches apart. As they stared at one another Lex watched Lois’s face soften. Her big, brown eyes stared into the fierce green ones of Lex. There was electricity in the air between them. Lex slowly moved his face towards her, his pulse quickening at the prospect of what was to come.

Their lips were centimeters apart when the limo came to a sudden halt, jarring Lex and Lois, and interrupting the kiss that was going to be.

“What the…” Lex grumbled. “Are you okay?” He asked Lois, and as she nodded and sat up, Lex angrily pressed the button that lowered the window to the driver.

“What’s going on!” He asked the driver, forcefully.

“Sorry, sir. A dog ran out in front of the car. I didn’t want to hit it. I apologize for the sudden stop.”

“Well, be more careful,” Lex snapped, raising the darkened window once more.

He looked to Lois and smiled apologetically. Lois had retreated to the corner of the seat, leaning her body against door. She returned his smile, a bit nervously, and then turned her head out the window.

Lex cursed his luck, the moment they had shared now gone. The two rode in silence until the limo slowed and came to a stop.

Lex glanced at his watch. It was only a little after 10, still early. Jack opened the back door of the limo and Lex stepped out, followed by Lois. As Lois finally saw where it was they were headed next, she looked at Lex with a doubtful smile.

“Ah, are you sure you want to go in here?”

Lex smiled confidently. “Of course. Why not? We can have some fun and relax,” Lex reached his hand out and Lois took it without pause. That’s a good sign, Lex thought happily as he and Lois walked towards the Smallville Bar and Bowling Alley.

Laughter, talking and the sounds of bowling balls knocking over pins assaulted Lex’s ears as they entered the alley.

“Where to?” Lex asked Lois. She smiled and pulled him towards the cashier where he and Lois gave their shoe size and were each given a pair of bowling shoes. Lex was reluctant to touch his. They were kind of dingy, and who knew what kind of foot fungus might be lurking in the lining of the shoes. Lois started laughing and Lex looked at her.

“It’s okay, Lex. The shoes are sprayed with an anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-whatever after each wear. They are probably cleaner than your own shoes.”

Lex doubted that, but he took the shoes from the pimply faced cashier anyway. After they were assigned a lane, Lex and Lois made their way towards the center of the bowling alley. They were soliciting a few stares, Lois in her backless, spaghetti strapped silver dress, and Lex in his dark blue suit, Lex was fully aware and felt proud to have Lois on his arm.

Lois led Lex down to their lane, and as they sat Lex looked around, taking it all in. Lois had her shoes (and some borrowed socks) on in no time, and when Lex turned in her direction he was confronted with a smirk.

“You’ve never been bowling before, have you?” She asked, a teasing accusation in her voice.

“Well, once, before my mother died, she took me to a birthday party for one of the kids at school. He had a couple bowling lanes in his house. That was the one and only time I’ve bowled. And I wasn’t that good,” Lex was a little taken aback at his apparent inability to not speak the complete truth to Lois. He could just hear his father’s voice, A Luthor is good at everything son, never advertise weakness, no matter what the task.

“Well, you are in for a game then, cause I am a bowling maniac,” Lex had to grin at Lois, she was now standing in front of Lex, her dress hanging perfectly off her, hugging her curves in all the right places. But on her feet were insane looking red, blue and yellow bowling shoes.

“What?” Lois followed his eyes to her feet. “Watch it, rich boy, you won’t look much better in your Armani and these clown shoes.”

Lex, surprising himself, actually laughed out loud. The groups of bowlers on either side of Lois and Lex turned their way for a moment, Lex’s laugh echoing through the alley.

Lois was staring at Lex, an amused look of surprise on her face as well. Lex stifled his laughter and set to lacing up the incredibly tacky bowling shoes he was given by the pimpled teen at the counter.

As Lex straightened up from lacing his shoes, he didn’t see Lois. Panicking for a moment, he spun in his chair and was relieved to find her looking for a ball right behind him. Lex stood, sliding a bit in the traction-less shoes and smooth wood floor.

“So, how do I do this?” He asked, coming up behind Lois and talking softly over her shoulder, into her ear.

Lois turned and thrust a ball into Lex’s hands. “Find one that’s heavy enough for you, with holes large enough for your fingers,” she teased, batting her eyes at Lex, leaving him gaping at her as she made her way down the shelves of bowling balls, looking for her own.

After about five minutes Lex was confident he had found the right ball. As he walked it over to their spot where Lois sat waiting, he noticed she had filled in the scorecard, Richie, and Lala.

He looked at her, confused, as he placed his ball in the return machine. “Richie? Lala?” He questioned her.

“Richie-you know, your rich; and Lala was my nickname when I was little. I was feeling nostalgic, what can I say?”

Lex only nodded. He was continually bewildered by Lois. Her behavior was changing with each passing moment. She must feel comfortable here, Lex thought. And she’s probably being more herself than I’ve seen all night.

“You’re up, Richie,” Lois nodded her head towards the lane. “You do know what to do, don’t you?”

Lex, not sure if he liked this Lois, but feeling titillated by her spirit, only nodded at Lois, and walking forward, he threw what he thought was a good turn down the lane. At least it wasn’t a gutterball. Now the game was on.

Halfway through their second game, Lex was feeling so at ease he was trading innuendos with Lois. At the start of the 6th frame Lex suddenly craved something he’d never craved before. Beer.

“Lala,” Lois mocked laughter at Lex, “How about I get us a pitcher of beer?”

Lois nodded in agreement, and Lex made his way towards the bar. He checked his watch out of habit and was shocked to see it was almost 11. Where had the last hour gone?

Lex weaved his way through the larger crowd gathered around the bar and ordered a pitcher of draft beer.

Lex was waiting for the bartender to fill the order he felt a tap on his shoulder.

“Luthor, Junior. What are you doing out here with the blue-collar crowd?” A heavyset, bearded man with breath heavily laced with the smell of alcohol, jeered at him. The men around him grumbled and sniggered in agreement.

“I’m just here, having a good time, like all of you,” Lex smiled and turned back to the bar.

“You aren’t just like us. Have you ever had to work an honest day in your life?”

Lex knew this was going to a place he’d rather avoid, so instead of reflecting back on his two days of homelessness when Lucas and his father had kicked him out of the house, he simply succumbed to their apparent need to make him feel unwelcome.

“No, I never have had to work for my money,” Lex saw shadows cross most of the faces of the men around him. “Let me buy all you hard working fellows drinks, a round for the whole bar,” Lex hollered the last part loud enough for the room to hear and there were a few cheers from the back wall, near the pool table. But the men that had blocked Lex in at the bar weren’t smiling, nor appreciative of Lex’s offer.

...continued in next post...
                              Last edited by lex_4_president; 09-21-2005, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎