No announcement yet.

Episode 1.01: The Pilot

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 1.01: The Pilot

Here were the thoughts on the Pilot that I wrote on my blog...

The pilot establishes the season long theme of Veronica Mars in a man's world. Throughout the episode she encouters the typical males in our society: the father figure, the best friend, the wise ass, the criminal, the heartthrob, the authority figure. It is up to Veronica to struggle against each of these male characters throughout the pilot without any female aid - her mother has abandoned her, her best friend has been brutally murdered, her friends turned on her, Celeste Kane "hates her almost as much as she adores her son", Inga does nothing to help her, nor does she acknowledge her pain, and the school is lacking in any female role model. So Veronica struggles against the norm in her male dominated world... a perky, beautiful, blond girl.... an outsider, who fights each day to survive... a marshmellow, who would probably love to have her old life back. More than struggle against the menfolk... Veronica wins her battles... at least in the pilot. Veronica works behind her father's back, catches him in the lie, and still chooses to trust him. Veronica wins a friend in Wallace by opening up and showing her "marshmellow" side... additionally, Veronica saves Wallace from torment by the bike gang. Veronica proves that she is tougher then a bike gang... she has Backup attack them, she stuns them with a stun gun, she outwits the gang leader Weevil, while matching his sexual witicisms, and she earns their respect. Veronica outwits the Sherrif's Office, including Sherrif Lamb, taking revenge on a group who betrayed her and her father. Veronica outwits the Vice-Principal and also makes him the butt of her jokes. Finally, Veronica confronts and beats Logan, her former friend. Logan and Veronica spend much of the episode tormenting one another, yet Veronica comes out on top and is the bigger person by letting go of her need for revenge on Logan... at least for now. Notably, the only male that Veronica does not confront or dominate in this episode is Duncan... in fact, Duncan seems to dominate Veronica with his apathy and lack of action... perhaps because what empowers Veronica in this episode is her need for revenge and her need to maintain her status as "outsider girl".

Most importantly the pilot tells us what the show is all about: Veronica's need to question things and her desire to find the answers at all cost.

Best Quotes:
    Teacher - Mrs. Murphy: "The thing that keeps us powering through life's defeats is our faith in a better life to come!"
    Weevil: Sister, the only time I care what a woman has to say is, is when she's riding my big old hog, but even then it's not so much words, just a bunch of oohs and aahs, you know?

Veronica: So it's big, huh?

Weevil: Legendary.

Veronica: Well, let's see it. I mean, if it's as big as you say, I'll be your girlfriend. [gasp] We could go to prom together! What? What seems to be the problem? I'm on a schedule here, vato.
    Wallace: Oh no you don't. You really think I'm gonna let you get away with that? That might play with the masses, but underneath that angry young woman shell, there's a slightly less angry young woman who's just dying to bake me something. You're a marshmallow, Veronica Mars. A twinkie.
    Wallace: I suddenly feel like I'm in a scene from The Outsiders.

Veronica: Be cool, Sodapop.
    Veronica Voiceover: Still... I've got too many questions swirling around in my head to wait until he's willing to share. These questions need answers... that's what I do!

Favorite Lyrics:
    "all their lies... are like butterflies... they both die in a couple of days..."

So what are your thoughts on "The Pilot"? What is your analysis? What do you think? Let's discuss!!!!

Anyone else want to pick apart the episodes????

Comment

Weevil: Sister, the only time I care what a woman has to say is, is when she's riding my big old hog, but even then it's not so much words, just a bunch of oohs and aahs, you know?

Veronica: So it's big, huh?

Weevil: Legendary.

Veronica: Well, let's see it. I mean, if it's as big as you say, I'll be your girlfriend. [gasp] We could go to prom together! What? What seems to be the problem? I'm on a schedule here, vato.

Sorry, but Weevil gets the best lines. Of course, that line just shows what a pig he can be but what can you say. I don't have the time to really pick apart the episode but the pilot set up characters who we thought that we were going to hate and love but by the season finale the table filp-flopped. I just love this show.

Comment

I liked the summary by both of you gals, and I think it set up the great season that we all enjoyed. The pilot set up everthing for the fans, Right off we see V go against the system and cut Wallace off the pole, her future BFF and one of my fav relationships on the show. Like you ladies said about Weevil, we see his bad ass self quickly and V show her fiesty self right back, I loved that first encounter between the V and We. V won it hands down,

We see keith as a wonderful dad for V and learn of their problems with the town of neptune and how Lily's death affected both K and V.

We get a glimpse of V and Lily's friendship and how the last year has been so hard for V, losing her friend, and Duncan dumping her, kicked out of the O niners club, Logan terrorizing her some.

We learn of the main families of neptune, Kanes, Echolls and others and the relationship of V to those families. She mentioned the date rape which really surprised me, and I felt so sorry for her character, that I think I got my protective nature for her because of that.

it was great to see all the players in the pilot ep and Rob Thomas set it up perfectly to hook us so that we would continue to watch. We also find out that V is indeed a marshmallow, aint she cute

Comment

I definately think the pilot set up the show ... even technique wise... with the now classic Veronica slow mo/speed up camera work in the hallway... the eeary and idealistic lighting in the flashback scenes... the now famous Veronica voiceover narrations.

And I just love the way the episode ended with Veronica's voiceover explaining who she is... by what she does. Additionally Wallace's marshmellow line sets up one of the major themes of the show.

Comment

New Zealand Review of the Pilot

Check out the following review of the pilot (I've included a few excerpts)....

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald

Just when you thought the butt-kicking, independent young female had been banished from the box, in blasts hard-boiled teenage private eye Veronica Mars (TV2, 7.30pm)

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast," as Veronica Mars quotes to her high school peers in English literature class. Pardon? An American teen drama which includes lines from 18th-century poet Alexander Pope?

Yes, this is a teen show which at first glance might seem a clone of its vacuous Friday night cousin, The OC. Like that show, Veronica Mars is set in a wealthy Californian coastal community, but the seaside town of Neptune is a world away from Newport Beach. There is intelligent life on Mars......

.....With its lead character's school of hard knocks philosophy, keen wit and nerves of steel, Veronica Mars promises to be the smartest young show around. Not all of telly's teen queens are from Venus.

Comment

Of all the Pilot's I've seen VM has been the best. The reason being it is plays so much more like an adult show and it respects the audience by not trying to dumb it like SMALLVILLE does on occasion. It also has a strong cast of characters and the build up on the conflict coming into play plus the details of Veronica's past that has brought us to this point.

Can't say enough about it.

Comment

well stated LLM and I agree completely, its a great start for this wonderful program I think I have watched it like 10 times already

Comment

I finally caught the pilot thanks to CBS picking up the 4 epi's. (I love them for doing it. My Friday nights are so much better!) I think it set it up as a show that would deal with many social issues like fitting in and teen pressures. I think everyone has been there so I think we can all relate.

Comment

Welcome to the NeptuneSite Forums and as it gets into the show it really starts to explore it more. I'm still early in the first season myself.

Comment

you both are in for such a treat, VM is quality TV indeed.

Comment

did anyone catch where lily hit V's butt with her yellow towel? ha classic lily moment

Comment

no i missed that! i must;ve been too busy feasting on my cinnamon toast crunch... a true feast indeed

Comment

yum...

ok, back to the pilot...

i thought it was hilarious when V impersonated inga, and when she and corny did the bong and her and wallace did the fire thing....

Comment

yeh tht as pretty funny

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎