Seen any good movies lately?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doena, I hope you don't refrain from talking to us about what you see on netflix/DVD !

Comment

• Originally posted by DA_Champion
      I watched Citizen Kane today. I can't say I loved it. It did a lot right, probably doesn't have that I had a sugar crash right around the start of the movie ...

I like what they did with makeup and hair. They succeeded in ageing Orson Welles convincingly.
      I'm not saying it's necessary in order to enjoy older films, but I often find myself trying to watch some of the top-rated ones in the mindset of a viewer at the time they were released, which is a difficult thing to do. I'm not a film historian, but my understanding is that Citizen Kane was pivotal in the advancement of lighting styles, makeup and hair, and story structure. I believe that has at least something to do with why it continually tops best film lists. A certain amount of appreciation is definitely in order, but does the innovation alone make it the best film of all time? I don't know.

I thought the film was good.

Comment

• I finished watching the last 15 minutes of Planet of the Apes 2001 tonight. Netflix crashed the other night so I did not finish.

The nonsensical ending is kind of funny, but I find Mark Wahlberg remarkably unheroic for leaving the New Earth behind to try and get back to his home. I don't know if I'm being fair, he wasn't really apart of the world, but nonetheless he abandoned the revolution.

I also noticed a new plothole, how did that little pod fly Wahlberg all the way from Saturn to Earth? Wasn't it only made for sortie near Saturn?

Comment

• I saw Vi är Bäst today. The English title is "We are the Best." It is a Swedish film based on a graphic novel called "Never Goodnight" which was written by Coco Moodysson, the wife of the movies director Lukas Moodysson.

It is about three tween girls that form a Punk band in 1982 Stockholm. The three main characters are Bobo, Klara, and Hedvig. Bobo and Klara form the band without having any actual musical talent and they get Hedvig to join because she is a talented guitarist.

I'm not really a fan of Punk Rock but the story is really good and the music was pretty good.

Comment

• I'm watching The Mummy (1999) on Spike TV. 18yrs later and it's still a really enjoyable film. I think one of the positives of this movie was that it was a period piece and still a couple of years before the notion of "cinematic universes"; I miss the days when a movie could exist on its own (I just don't mean comic book films). After hearing about how bad this year's Mummy movie is doing I'll wait until it hits streaming or cable to see it.

Comment

• I recently watched The Accountant and really enjoyed it.

I like many of Ben Affleck's works even though he is often panned by the critics. But even if you think Ben has only one facial expression, this movie could still be for you. In this movie, Ben doesn't need more than one.

Christian Wolff is a forensic accountant with Asperger's syndrome who works mostly for drug cartels and the mafia and he finds the money that members of these organisations tried to "syphon off" into their own pockets.
              But this time he's taking a legtit job at a prostetics company led by John Lithgow's character where they try to find out who's stealing from the company. The leak was discovered by a junior accountant played by Anna Kendrick.
              And the third party involved is the FBI which is trying to find "the accountant" under the leadership of JK Simmons' character Ray King.

The main story is told in a linear fashion but Christian's past is interwoven into the story, but so is King's.

Solomon Grundy,
              Born on a Monday,
              Christened on Tuesday,
              Married on Wednesday,
              Took ill on Thursday,
              Worse on Friday,
              Died on Saturday,
              Buried on Sunday.
              That was the end
              of Solomon Grundy.

Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnLike us on FACEBOOK: http://bit.ly/1QyRMsEFollow us on TWITTER: http...
              Last edited by DJ Doena; 06-17-2017, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984).

Comment

• The Cloverfield Paradox. Had a blast. Ignore the critics on this one folks. Definitely one to check out!

Comment

• Saw Annihilation on Netflix. Shame that it's not getting a theatrical release.

Comment

• Rewatched Rear Window yesterday.

Comment

• Shadow of a Doubt.

Comment

• Mrs. Miniver.

Comment

• I recently rewatched Sweet Home Alabama and The Saint. Both hold up quite well.

Comment

• The Mummy (1932).

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍