Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spider Man III

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i got mine today with the free cards and spidey maks. i got the black one. the guy at check out was saying how he went to 7 11 a week ago or so and they were already selling copies of spiderman 3. this has been happening a lot recently. in the summer a few dvds like heroes and supernatural were released like 2 weeks early. lots of people are going to get in trouble lol.

Comment

• I just watched this again. Still not that great :/

Comment

• i liked it but i liked it as a stand alone. compared to the first 2 movies it didnt fit in well with those. the coloring was too bright and peter was way too cocky for someone who has been spiderman for 5 years or whatever. MJ was so needy which doesnt make sense cause she should be used to disappointment since he family life wasnt so great. she should have been stronger. also why didnt spiderman ever wear his mask lol. he is spiderman for an hour al together and wore his mask for maybe 10 minutes.

Comment

• i got the dvd at target yesterday with a thrid disc i didn't check it out yet thou. the commentary was great and revealed some cool things. like i couldn't beleive that bryce dallas howard did the crane scene while she was pregant. also i hate to say it venom fans topher (who by the way i thoguth was great in the movie) confirmed it, venom is dead

Comment

• evil topher telling us something evil like that lol. Honestly killing him off when he has been part of the series for 15 minutes stinks. he is supposed to be like doomsday or darkssied is to superman. If i remember correctly the professor still has part of the alien goo right? so in the fourth or something he can be reborn i think. Well im not totally sure but isnt it like evil spiderman is venom and evil venom is carnage? not too up to date on the evolution of the bad guys lol. So carnage could always come in. I have hear people mention they wouldnt mind seeing the Hulk fight spiderman. I wouldnt mind that for the 4th but they would really need to go back to the first 2 movies in regards to the cinemetography.

Comment

• It's interesting how this and Spider-Man 2 seems to be "taking cues" from Superman II and Superman III.

Superman II: Superman gives up his powers and being Superman. Then regains them for the climax.

Spider-Man 2: Spider-Man looses his powers and gives up being Spider-Man. Then regains them for the climax.

Superman III: Comedy is dialed up. Superman turns evil. Then fights an evil version of himself.

Spider-Man 3: Comedy is dialed up. Spider-Man turns evil. Then fights an evil version of himself.

Would a Spider-Man 4 have "taken cues" from Quest for Peace?

A sign outside of MJ's play gives the current year as 2005. Dialogue establishes that it's been two years, since Ben's death (same as in Spider-Man 2). If the online rumors/speculations about Tobey being in the upcoming movie turns out to be true, then we chronologically haven't seen him for 16 years.

This film introduces Venom, because Avi Arad felt that (looking at the first two movies), that Sam Raimi was seemingly only interested in the characters that he had read about in the 1960s (rather than any of the characters from later decades). You can see this,* in the handling of Sandman (who Raimi wanted to do) and Venom (who he was told to use). Sandman is given more of a backstory, in an attempt to make him sympathetic (giving him a sick daughter, who is given no resolution and only appears in one scene). Meanwhile, Eddie Brock is played up as a massive jerk and creepy stalker (hey, he's got something in common with Peter Parker, at least). The symbiote just falls from space, and happens to land next to Peter Parker. Like Raimi couldn't bother giving it a workable origin. Heck, in the second film, they had John Jameson (MJ's ex-fiance) established as having been on the moon. They could've had the symbiote be something that John brought back from the moon. Through MJ, John can be linked to Peter. Allowing for them to interact, and John passing on, something that he (unknowingly) brought back from the moon to Peter.

We're given a conclusion to the build-up with Harry. He becomes New Goblin. Not Green Goblin or Hobgoblin (introduced in 1983, so not interesting to Raimi). Then he gets amnesia, regains his memories and blackmails MJ into breaking up with Peter. Or else, he'll kill Peter... who MJ knows has super powers and has fought several supervillains before. She could've just told Peter, right then and there, and Peter would've beaten up Harry. In the end, Harry dies. Brock is killed. Meanwhile, Sandman is allowed to live and walk. Even if Peter's forgiven Flint for the death of Ben (an unnecessary retcon), Flint is still a wanted criminal, who have committed several crimes. Unlike the two antagonists, who get killed, Flint has committed a long list of crimes. He's an escaped convinct, murderer and robbed armor trucks and banks (possibly injuring or killing police officers). Brock forged photos, which he was fired for (so he had been punished for that). He also kidnapped MJ and tried to kill Peter, which is bad, but if he's punished with death for that... why does Flint get spared for many for offences (including the MJ kidnapping)? Well, he has a daughter. That makes everything he does okay (apparently).

It's tricky to talk about this film, without feeling like I'm just repeating issues that countless others have brought up, over the past 13 years (nor do I feel like going over everything).

Watching these films, within a few days of each other, I find myself wondering if Peter's really grown over these three movies (spanning two years)? Take the classroom scene. Other students are picking on him... just like at the start of the first movie. He's still the kid who gets bullied at school. He still has a hard time, standing up for himself, with other people. It's only when he gets the symbiote (which the film insists sends him down a bad path), that Peter stands up for himself. Apparently, standing up for yourself is bad.

The Peter and MJ relationship once again doesn't work. She's cranky, because she got bad reviews in a musical (with issues, that you'd think that the director or someone would've realized during rehersals), gets upset with Peter (despite never telling him that she was let go). The big question is, does anyone care about her aspiring and struggling acting career?

Gwen Stacy is introduced, but the film doesn't do much with her. She's just there to create tensions between Peter and MJ. Apparently, in these three films, women only exists as plot devices for the male characters. MJ is once more kidnapped for the climax and held hostage by the villains. At some point, you'd think that someone would start to ask why every supervillain in New York always kidnaps Mary Jane Watson (potentially leading to them exposing Spider-Man's identity).

* Actually, many of the things in these three movies feel like they're trying to reflect the Spider-Man comics of the 1960s, rather than more modern material (which is why Betty is a secretary, rather than a reporter)... and the early 2000s (when they're set), possibly.
              Last edited by jon-el87; 12-18-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎