Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writer's Block Haven: Advice for writers from writers.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhat, but thankx 4 trying. I try to add after what they are feeling. Like one chapter, not sure if it's a posted one yet, but it goes deep into Clark's thought, from completely happy, to very sad and depressed. That might be in a chapter I haven't posted yet. But you get the idea, I think.

Comment

I have another question. How do I tell when I am writing a new chapter in Microsoft Word, how many characters it has. I know 10000 is the limit in here, so I want to know where I need to stop so I don't have to split it up.

Comment

You would have to constantly click on the word count icon, Superboy. You can't designate what portion of the text you want to count, at least I'm pretty sure you can't. It'd probably be easier to write out the update and request a buffer here on K-Site. That way, it wouldn't matter where you ended it, and your writing wouldn't be restricted by the word count.

Comment

I get my Moleskin out (the notebook Hemingway used) to get my ideas down. I let everyone write in it then later it can give me ideas as well as bring back memories. Good stuff to inspire.

PS: You can actually highlight the portion you want to count then press the "word count" option. I do it all the time.
          Last edited by Hulk026; 04-14-2006, 08:25 AM.

Comment

with a cigarette hanging from my lips and a glass of coke next to me, i work effectively.

Comment

The most important part about writing a story, I think, is before you even begin. You need an ending first, then a beginning and the middle is just a line you can draw later between the two. The ending is the most important part.

I arrive at my endings according to what urge I feel for the characters. What do they desperately need? What do they want? What do they fear the most? What is the worst and best thing that could happen to them? You should know these things in advance and work the story around these.

The ending is the characters arriving finally at what they've always needed, defeating what they've always feared, etc.

The beginning is putting them about as far away from all of these as possible--in La La Land essentially.

Then, once you've decided what HAS to happen to get them from La La Land to the land of Aha! moments, you find plot-related ways of making it happen and there you have the middle.

I think that's the way to arrive at the most satisfying story--the one with the most development and intrigue.

And as for writing scenes, I usually let it play out in my head as if it were an episode. I let the characters say what they would say and then write that. It's not too hard. Chloe's a wit. Clark is a talking value-system. Lois is a fire-cracker. Lana is a slave to her emotions. Lex is double-edged. And so forth.

Hope that helps.

Comment

I've learned that it is bad, if not superbad advice to use a thesaurus for your writing. Big words will look funny to an editor.

I would rather say something like "Clark was certainly above behaving like the fraternity brothers at Met U." instead of saying "The frat brothers at Met U were acting babyish" or even replacing babyish with infantile. Showing from the perspective of a character is better than describing with big words. Clark wouldn't use big words. Neither did Superman.

Comment

Since this the advice thread, I've got a question. In my current story, The Sun and The Moon, I've written an epilogue that is Clana. I'm a die hard Chlarker, so there's anti-Clana undertones, although, the reader is left up to determine what happens.

Do I post the finale in the original thread or do I take it over to the Clark & Lana board? It can stand alone without the other parts.
                  Last edited by Sue Denim; 03-06-2008, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sue Denim
                    Since this the advice thread, I've got a question. In my current story, The Sun and The Moon, I've written an epilogue that is Clana. I'm a die hard Chlarker, so there's anti-Clana undertones, although, the reader is left up to determine what happens.

Do I post the finale in the original thread or do I take it over to the Clark & Lana board? It can stand alone without the other parts.
                    I am not a moderator here, but in my humble opinion you should conclude the fanfic in the fanfic section and discuss how you feel about chloeclark on that forum. Invite people to visit fanfic boards for your fanfic. (can you attach a link?) I bet the story shares a piece of how you feel. I might get around to reading it.

I', 38 and male. I do not follow or care about relationships and teen/20's love circles. I like hero vs villian and how he uses his powers, etc...

Comment

Coca Cola or Pepsi and free trashy internet games always refuel my imagination. Maybe an episode of whatever I'm writing, too.

Comment

One thing I find helps is adaptability and the willingness to scrap everything you had planned if you suddenly get a better idea. You have to be willing to change direction midstream, or you'll get washed up on the bank rather quickly. Our best ideas usually come to us while we're writing. Don't be afraid to start from scratch if things aren't going the way you intended. If you think of something better, use it.

On a similar note, you should always let the characters drive the story, never the other way around. Whenever I'm drawing blanks on a scene, I just let the characters perform on their own and decide the direction the story should take. I know it sounds crazy, but most of the other writers here can tell you that the characters sometimes have a tendency to "write themselves." Their actions and dialogue should proceed from their core, and they should react to the scenarios you place them in realistically. If you try and force them to react a certain way that contradicts everything they stand for, the characters will invariably refuse to perform for you. So if you're stuck on a scene, just let the characters decide where you should go next.

Any archer will tell you that trying to hit something by tracing an invisible line between the arrow and the target will result in you missing one hundred percent of the time due to the nature of binocular vision. It's easier just to focus on the target, and let the arrow shoot itself. (Hmm, maybe I should have Green Arrow give that speech in a future story. That means you can't have it. ) The same principle applies to writing. Have an end in mind, but don't worry too much about how you get there. And don't be afraid of changing your destination, either. Sometimes missing one mark can help you to hit an even higher one.

Comment

Personal grievances aside, I often ask myself things about how the story should read. It's really not rocket surgery.

Let's tackle the last statement:

A confrontational piece would read like this-

It's really not rocket surgery.

There seems to be a lack of any basic reasoning in this town. That's right, the people with blue hair make my life a living hell when I go to the seven eleven.

An apathetic piece would read like this-

While the nature of instant gratification appeals to a few people I know, the premise sickens me. The elderly people that shop at the seven do not bother me.

A lowbrow piece would read like this-

Any of you folks have an idea about rocket surgery? Me neither!! I just wish that the old bastards down at tha quickstop would hobble off to wherever it is that they live!! I was in there today, and this old woman with a duffle bag toted all kinds of cow turds up to tha counter!! No lye, she had enough patties in that sack to make a totum pole! There was obveiosly quite a commotion at tha counter when she pulled out those cow pattys and started throwin' em like frisbees!!! Ah hate the way those old folks flip out at the seven eleven!!!!

Comment

Rocket surgery? Mixed metaphor much? It would seem you've combined (unintentionally or not) rocket science and brain surgery, which are two versions of the same analogy. Kudos on the multiple ways to write a scene advice, though. Tone is one of the most important aspects of a piece.

Comment

Thinking of doing a fan graphic novel but can decide between using it to introduce a character I am creating a comic book series for... or a more ambitious Smallville version of Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. HELP!!!!

Comment

Idea Overload

Okay, this is weird but here goes...

So i'm currently working on my current fic, The Rise of Superman. It's my first ever attempt at a Chlark fic and i constantly find that i'm second guessing myself when it comes to writing characters that, quite honestly i've never really dealt with before.
                                I'm not suffering from 'Writer's Block' persay, more like an idea overload.

What started out as a simple Chloe/Clark origin story has evolved into the ground work for my own personal vision of the ENTIRE DC universe! I'm suddenly drawing ideas from everywhere, and while i'm proud of what i am coming up with....i can't focus enough to write. My mind is so preoccupied with ideas about where i want these ideas to go that i'm too busy to get them there. Can anybody help? I'm going nuts!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎