Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Lana Small pointless to the show?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of the things Lana does makes sense to me as well. Clark was trying to balance a normal life with a hero life and on top of that trying to keep his powers and heroic activities under wraps. He's always going to have problems doing that. Had problems with his 2 best friends (Lex and Pete) had problems with the girl he loved (Lana). Like I always say when these arguments come up, this was the main premise of the show and this is why the later seasons are so terrible and just don't work.

How on Earth is Clark going to maintain a 9 to 5 office job, fall madly in love with a woman he didn't have any romantic interest in for 4 years (besides some mild flirtation in season 4) and magically not get recognised as Clark when he is in his Superman persona when probably the biggest part of the first 7 seasons is how hard it would be to have a normal life and a hero life at the same time. "It happened because of the mythos" just doesn't cut it for me. Characters like Lois Lane, Henry Olsen and Perry white are the real pointless characters of the show.

Comment

• Originally posted by computermaster
      Most of the things Lana does makes sense to me as well. Clark was trying to balance a normal life with a hero life and on top of that trying to keep his powers and heroic activities under wraps. He's always going to have problems doing that. Had problems with his 2 best friends (Lex and Pete) had problems with the girl he loved (Lana). Like I always say when these arguments come up, this was the main premise of the show and this is why the later seasons are so terrible and just don't work.

How on Earth is Clark going to maintain a 9 to 5 office job, fall madly in love with a woman he didn't have any romantic interest in for 4 years (besides some mild flirtation in season 4) and magically not get recognised as Clark when he is in his Superman persona when probably the biggest part of the first 7 seasons is how hard it would be to have a normal life and a hero life at the same time. "It happened because of the mythos" just doesn't cut it for me. Characters like Lois Lane, Henry Olsen and Perry white are the real pointless characters of the show.
      Yeah, that was some of the weakest flaws of the show. There was actors like Reeves who fully captured both Superman and Clark Kent perfectly. HE even showed us how it was possible that nobody would ever recognize Clark Kent as Superman thanks to things like posture, hairstyles, etc.
      However, Tom Welling never really did any of that stuff... so on Smallville it was less believable than it was in the older Superman movies.

I guess that's the reason why the whole "Secrets and lies" plot-line is so ridiculous to me. Everyone watching the shows knows why Clark Kent has to keep his secrets. But the whole "I need to know your secret!" dance and song can only go on so long before it gets old and tiresome.
      I mean, even Chloe at one point, said that everyone had their own secrets that they needed to keep to themselves for good reasons. Lana were willing to pry into other people's secrets, but got mad whenever somebody else did the same to her.
      So Lana wants to keep her own secrets, but demands to know everyone else's too without sharing hers in exchange.

Surely you can see how that's annoying?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aurora Moon
        The thing is, it doesn't make sense to me personally because I personally feel that a real person wouldn't even do those things, at least not repeatedly. I could easily overlook her having done that once, etc... but a dozen times over the seasons? Nope.
        That's my own interpretation of events. if you feel I'm wrong, that's okay, that's your opinion. But you don't have to constantly badger me about how wrong my opinions and my interpretation of things are. Like I said, that's annoying when you do that.
        A real person wouldn't do what? Question it when someone they care about asks them out and then breaks their heart several times, when they know they're gonna kill their boyfriend, when they kidnap them and assault them and nearly kill their fiance? If that's what you're saying, that's false. A lot of people would.
        Originally posted by Aurora Moon
        I mean, even Chloe at one point, said that everyone had their own secrets that they needed to keep to themselves for good reasons. Lana were willing to pry into other people's secrets, but got mad whenever somebody else did the same to her.
        So Lana wants to keep her own secrets, but demands to know everyone else's too without sharing hers in exchange.

Surely you can see how that's annoying?
        She didn't do that. She actually often only started questioning him when his secrets effected her.

God bless you! God bless everyone!
        Last edited by Dagenspear; 02-10-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• I remember eps where Lana started prying into other people's secrets besides Clark too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aurora Moon
            I remember eps where Lana started prying into other people's secrets besides Clark too.
            That sounds like a rare occurrence. Not that it matters, because really every character pried into everyone elses business throughout the show.

God bless you! God bless everyone!

Comment

• Lana wasn't pointless as the character did serve a purpose on the show. The trouble is, the creators just didn't have enough interesting material and instead put Lana in ridiculous scenarios and never-ending angst in an attempt to keep her relevant, which had the effect of making Lana tiresome instead. Clark's high school sweetheart could have become a platonic friend who shows up occasionally, but the creators chose to drag things out to the show's detriment at times. Clark himself would have been better served to have had another long-term(ish) love interest as a transition from Lana to Lois - Alicia was way too fleeting to be realistic long-term. And no, I don't think Chloe should have been that person.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎