No announcement yet.

Smallville Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville Anniversary

Today marks the 20-year anniversary of the series premiere of Smallville on October 16, 2001, and it has me wondering: What were YOU doing on that day? Aside, of course, from watching the show at 9PM on The WB.

Share some of your memories, and I'll share mine.

Hey Craig. It’s hard to believe it’s been 20 years. As I mentioned in the 10th anniversary post for the finale, I owe a lot to Smallville and this site in particular. I’m not the kind of person that tried to look for love on a message board but I befriended and later fell in love with my now wife on Kryptonsite. We will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary this January!

Comment

This is the first and only tv show fandom message board I really have ever posted on. It’s a testament to both Smallville and you that it drew me in back then.

I have been doing a rewatch of the series. I first did Season 4-7 then Season 1-3 now…might just go through to the end this time. You sometimes don’t appreciate how much the cast and show changed over the years until you look back. I do wish they would have brought back Sam Jones III earlier as was the original plan. He was so underused. I also wish they had not done things like Grant/Lois, Jimmy becoming ‘Henry’, Lana powersuit, etc

Still, there is so much to love like the Lex/Clark story arc of friends to enemies to Christopher Reeve to the epic Zod/Clark showdown in “Salvation” and everything in between and beyond. While James Marsters wasn’t the Brainiac from Colu, he did a memorable and scene stealing portrayal I suppose closer to the Brainiac from Superman: TAS.

I wish I could have visited Smallville locations while the show was still on (very jealous lol) but I loved visiting the Marine Building aka the Daily Planet, even though it wasn’t used for the actual set. So awesome and beautiful.
      Last edited by Vergon6; 10-16-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I can't remember what I was doing, too long ago lol. I do remember being intrigued by the premise of a show about Superman before he was Superman lol

Comment

I honestly don’t remember what I was actually doing. Probably studying lol. I don’t think we had UPN or WB in 2001 in Canada, so it’s possible I was watching Buffy or Enterprise. I didn’t really watch Smallville live for the first 2 or 3 Seasons. Mostly rerun marathons on Space channel.

I was skeptical of the show how he would know Lex before he was Superman. It definitely won me over, despite the first season being uneven - most first seasons are.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
            Hey Craig. It’s hard to believe it’s been 20 years. As I mentioned in the 10th anniversary post for the finale, I owe a lot to Smallville and this site in particular. I’m not the kind of person that tried to look for love on a message board but I befriended and later fell in love with my now wife on Kryptonsite. We will be celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary this January!
            Wow! Love on Kryptonsite. Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vergon6
              This is the first and only tv show fandom message board I really have ever posted on.

Same. I don't remember how I found this site but it was in the later seasons and I really appreciated having a group to watch the show with and share opinions with. Even when we disagreed (and, boy, could we disagree). I didn't have a Smallville-watching companion in "real" life.

I still think of this site when it comes to anything Smallville or DC-related. That's how I ended up here now! Was curious about others' opinions on recent Stargirl episodes. Seems like people aren't watching cuz I don't see much talk on that subject... LoL. But then this thread caught my eye because I did recently watch the 20-year anniversary segment for Smallville on the DC Fandome stream. That made me so happy. After all these years I'm still a Smallville dork.

Happy anniversary everyone! "Always hold onto Smallville!"

Comment

Hmm, I don't remember what I was doing, but I think it premiered here in NZ about the same time. I'd been a fan of Lois and Clark: TNAOS so I think I saw the teasers about it and thought it was a cool idea. I met my best friend on this site, and we've remained friends for 12 years, even though we both live in different countries (she's in the US). She also met her husband via this site. I haven't been that lucky, sadly.

Comment

I didn't watch the show until the first hiatus between Seasons 1 & 2, so I wasn't part of its origin from that side of the discussion. But I do remember getting hooked on it fairly quick, once I realized it wasn't a cheap Superboy clone (I loved that show as a kid). John Schneider was probably my fave actor on the show, since I also watched The Dukes of Hazzard as a child. I'm glad that most of the cast still seems to be on friendly terms; that's a rarity when shows run for so long these days. I just ordered the Blu-Ray boxset from Amazon, but with the Christmas rush it may not arrive until Christmas Eve. I've also heard of some customers getting missing discs in their sets, so hopefully this lag time will mean the problem being corrected by the time my set ships out.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎