Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994-1998)

Season 1, episode 1: "Night of the Lizard".

My introduction to the Spider-Man character. Spider-Man goes up against the titular Lizard. Additionally, they introduce Eddie Brock as a rival Daily Bugle photographer. Thought it was a good move of them to introduce Eddie this early. Have him be bested by Peter and humiliated by Spider-Man. Developing a dislike of both, long before he becomes Venom. It beats them introducing Eddie and have him become Venom (and developing a hatred of Spider-Man) within a single episode.

Good choice to start out with the Lizard (rather than someone like Green Goblin). Works as a villain that you could introduce and dispense with in 20-something minutes.

Ed Asner's J. Jonah Jameson. Later, he also voiced Perry White in something. Probably the only actor to play both Jameson and White (though, don't quote me on that).

Looking at the design of Peter Parker. It feels like they're trying to make him look a bit like Nicholas Hammond, who played Peter Parker/Spider-Man in the late 1970s.

The show's theme is written and performed by Joe Perry of Aerosmith.

Like I said in the beginning, I watched this show as a kid. Of course, as a kid, I watched the dubbed version. Got a bit weird, years later, when I realized who did the dubbed voices of Peter and Mary Jane: Niclas Wahlgren and Pernilla Wahlgren. No, the last name is not a coincidence. Nor are they married (yuck). I have no idea what they (the people in charge of the dubbing production) were thinking with that casting.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 09-28-2021 at 11:31 AM.

Season 1: "Doctor Octopus: Armed and Dangerous".

Felicia Hardy appears as Peter's love interest, having been introduced in the second episode. I like that they introduce Felicia Hardy as a recurring character, before they have her become Black Cat. Allows for them to develop her, prior to becoming Black Cat. In addition to being Peter's love interest, she's also the damsel in distress. A contrast with her later superhero persona. Makes for an interesting arc, when considering her eventual future.

The episode also marked the introduction of Doctor Octopus. Having watched "Night of the Lizard" (where Curt Connors is introduced as Peter's teacher, a scientist obsessed with his work) yesterday, I do must say that it feels a bit like a repetition when Otto Octavius is established as once having been Peter's teacher... a scientist obsessed with his life's work. It shrinks the universe to try and give Peter Parker a personal connection to several of his villains.

Doc Ock's obsession is related to his experiment involving a cold fusion reactor. Maybe it's something taken from the comics, but it's basically Ock's scheme from Spider-Man 2 (2004). Even down to kidnapping Peter's love interest and having performed his experiement (that resulted in the arms fusing to his body) in a more rundown area. (Did they watch this episode, before writing the script for the film?) Of course, here it makes more sense. His funding was cut, forcing him to work in substandard laboratory conditions. Alfred Molina's Otto still had full funding, and should've been able to work in a proper lab (and not in the middle of a city).

Season 5, episodes 12 & 13: "Chapter I: I Really, Really Hate Clones/Chapter II: Farewell, Spider-Man".

Before Into the Spider-Verse, before the 2014 comic book storyline Spider-Verse where Spider Wars. Really a culmination of much of the series. All the AU Spider-Men (with the exception of an unnamed actor) are Peter Parker. I could see them having been more creative, like with Into the Spider-Verse, were not all alternate arachnids were Peter Parker. However, we don't get much background on each of them (outside of Armored Spider-Man and Scarlet Spider), so it was probably easier to do. Also easier for the average viewer to understand. They're simply slight variations of the same person. Having taken smaller different turns, like becoming rich or having acquired Doc Ock's tentacles (which is a look that the comic book character briefly assumed, a few years before this. As is the armored Spider-Man suit).

I'm guessing that the unnamed "Spider-Man" actor is supposed to be Nicholas Hammond (and not the dude who does the voice). After all, he's supposed to be an actor, who plays Spider-Man on television. He's even got a suit (suggesting an in-universe live action series, rather than him just doing the voice for an animated show). Not to mention, it would line up with them seemingly trying to give the animated Peter parker (all of the various versions) a look, that gives a hint of Nicholas Hammond.

They managed to get Gwen Stacy in there, as the fiancée of the armored Spider-Man. Or is she his girlfriend? In her first scene, she identifies herself as his fiancée. In subsequent scenes, both she and armored Spider-Man says "girlfriend".

Given all of the censorship that this show apparently faced, it's interesting how they manage to get away with having Spider-Carnage die from onscreen suicide.

Speaking of Spider-Carnage. I'm assuming that his universe only had him and Scarlet Spider (whereas the main Spider-Man's universe was well-established to be inhabited by the Avengers, Defenders, X-Men and so on). Otherwise, you'd think that they'd be there, trying to help in the battle against Spider-Carnage.

The show ends on a sort of cliffhanger, with Spider-Man and Madame Webb going off to find Mary Jane. Not really a major cliffhanger. They find her, bring her back to their native reality. End of story. Earlier episode "The Return of Hydro-Man, Part 2" teased Miles Warren (*cough* Jackal *cough*) cloning Spider-Man. Though, the appearance of the AU Scarlet Spider sort of resolves that. We know what Warren's experiments will ultimately lead to (only, hopefully, a less antagonistic relationship between Peter Parker and Ben Reilly (and/or Kaine. Personally, I prefer Kaine), than with Spider-Carnage and Ben Reilly). This isn't like the baby at the final episode of Lois & Clark, where they suddenly find a presumably Kryptonian baby in their apartment (with us never learning (outside of a Kryptonsite interview) where the apparently Kryptonian kid came from).
    Last edited by jon-el87; 09-29-2021 at 01:06 PM.