Collapse
No announcement yet.

X-Men: The Animated Series (1992-1997)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Men: The Animated Series (1992-1997)

Decided to rewatch a bit of this. Checked out the first two episodes. Quite liked them.

At the center is teenager Jubilee, which makes sense. With her you've got this young character, who gets thrown into all of this, together with the audience. Allowing for more organic exposition into mutants and everything. Though Jubilee, we're also shown the experience of young mutants: not understanding what is happening to them (scared). Not yet being able to control their abilities. This came out in 1992, with Jubilee having only been introduced in 1989. When you consider the time to animate a show like this, prior to that developing the show and writing the scripts (and casting actors, recording the dialogue), the decision to use her (and not Kitty Pryde, as they did in a 1989 animated pilot) was probably done not long after she was introduced in the comics. Though, her being a fresh new, teenage mutant character (whereas Kitty had been around for a decade already) probably helped to influence the decision to go with her.

The inclusion of the character of Morph (an adaptation of an obscure X-Men member named Changeling) was so that they could have a team member to kill off. I think that was a good decision. Allows for them to kill someone off, thus demonstrating a real sense of danger for the characters. While also avoiding killing off someone's favorite character. Morph fills a similar role to Thunderbird, but, as I understand it the developer wasn't loving the idea of bringing in the only Native American member of the X-Men (furthermore, he would've been the only non-white member, besides Storm. The only man of color on the team), just to use him as cannon fodder. So, instead, he opted for an adaptation of a more obscure character. I can appreciate that, and think that he made the right move. Though, I do think that they made a mistake, not including Morph into the opening sequence of the first two episodes (then dropping him). Might've made his death more of a surprise, as you see him in the opening (thus expecting him to be a regular), and there are bound to be a lot of viewers, who've never read the comics (leaving them unaware that Morph isn't a core member of the team).

Looking at Rogue, and thinking about the Anna Paquin version, I think that it's a shame that we didn't get this character in the films. The character in the first first film felt like a plot device, to advance Logan' story (getting him involved with the team). We first see her, when she's about 17 and has her first kiss (seriously, at 17?), causing her power to manifest. At Xavier's school, she starts a romantic relationship with Bobby Drake. In the second movie, her whole thing is that she can't be physically intimate with her boyfriend. In the third movie, she's insecure that she can't be physically intimate with her boyfriend (fearing that she'll lose him to another girl), and chooses to give up her powers, so that they can make physical contact. That's really her whole story arc in the films. Sure, she couldn't have absorbed powers from Carol Danvers (to give her flight and strength), but they could've come up with an alternative path, for her to acquire those abilities.

Episode 3: "Enter Magneto".

Quite like all the bigotry on display, around Beast and his court case. As the title indicates, this episode marks the introduction of Magneto.

I like that Jubilee, a teenager and brand-new recruit (joining the team five minutes before this), isn't brought with them on the mission. Xavier is right, it would be too dangerous for her. She's too inexperienced, to be joining the team (in the field) at this time.

Episode 4: "Deadly Reunions".

Liked Xavier trying to enter Sabretooth's mind, but being unable to access certain parts. Shows limitations to his telepathy. Preventing it from being too much of a deus ex machina, that you're left wondering why they don't just use his telepathy to solve the problem, every episode.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 10-21-2022, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Episode 5: "Captive Hearts".

That moment, when you look at this one 20-something minute long episode... and realize that Storm probably gets more character development, in this one episode, than in all six films featuring her combined.

The X-Men encounter the Morlocks. Sadly, this was a few years too early for Marrow to make an appearance. She could've been an interesting contrast with Jubilee. Have them both be teenage girls, but Marrow is someone with a physical mutation, while Jubilee can walk into any room and pass for a regular human.

I like that the episode has the Morlock leader being attracted to, and wanting Cyclops at her side. Rather than it being the more conventional way, of the leader being a guy, who is attracted to the woman (in this case, Jean) and wants her by his side.

Comment

Episodes 6 & 7: "Cold Vengeance/Slave Island".

Jubilee gets to go on a mission. I like that they held off bringing her (a minor) into the field, until now, when it looks like it's mission to just check out a vacation spot, that might be mutant friendly. Keeps it from looking like the X-Men are utilizing child soldiers.

Minor nitpick: Mystique is among the captured mutants, while "The Cure" (taking place shortly after) depicts her as having been in the service of Apocalypse and impersonating a scientist for, presumably, some time.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 09-25-2021, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Episode 10: "The Unstoppable Juggernaut".

This was actually the first episode of this series, that I ever saw.

Nice move, using Rogue trying to absorb Juggernaut's power, to get some exposition out there.

Also liked Colossus' line about needing to find his sister. Gives the feeling that these mutants, who drops by for an episode, have lives and adventures of their own.

Comment

Season 2, episodes 1 & 2: "Till Death Do Us Part".

The return of Morph. Originally only intended to be a one-off, to be killed off, the character apparently proved so popular, that it was decided to have him come back. Makes for an interesting dynamic. This two-parter also features Mister Sinister. As I was watching it I thought: "Mister Sinister needs to be the villain of the next X-Men film".

Comment

Season 2, episode 3: "Whatever It Takes".

Nice exploration of Storm's past. While that they have Wolverine off in Brazil, while Storm and Rogue is in Africa (at the same time that Xavier and Magneto finds themselves in the Savage Lands). Thought that the multiple stories worked. In fact, I found it even more impressive, when I compared it to some other stuff (that shall remain unnamed). Liked that they connected the escape of the Shadow King back to the events of "Days of Future Past". Utilizing existing continuity to motivate further stories. Must say that I feel like the connection between episodes feels stronger than a lot of live-action shows of this time period.

Comment

Season 2, episode 5: "Repo Man".

An adaptation of Uncanny X-Men #120, the first appearance of Alpha Flight. Of course, this isn't the first appearance of all the Alpha Flight members, on this show. Aurora and Northstar showed up in Genosha, in season 1. This episode aired the year after Northstar officially came out as gay. Of course, due to this being an early 90s kids show, and the fact that it takes like nine months just to animate an episode (with the episode being written before that), that matter isn't addressed. Though, outside of Vindicator, none of the Alpha Flight members are fleshed out much.

Comment

Season 2, episode 9: "A Rogue's Tale".

An exploration of the origins of Rogue.

As I was watching this episode I thought to myself: "Seriously? People want this to happen in the MCU?!" What Rogue does is a horrible violation of Carol. In this episode, Carol outright says that Rogue stole everything from her. Her whole life. While Rogue didn't mean to, her action still harmed someone... she might've harmed even more. Carol was a Jane Doe, in the hospital. Her loved ones and family might've spent years, not knowing what happened to her. Yet, people want this to happen in the MCU. And for what? So that Rogue could gain super strength and flight? Find an alternate. If Rogue has to gain those abilities from Carol (which, in the MCU, would lead to questions about why Rogue doesn't manifest any of her energy powers or ability to fly fast through space), just have her siphon off a little (resulting in Rogue developing strength and flight). By accident. Don't put Carol in a coma or anything, that risks making Rogue come off as a horrible monster.

At least the episode ends on a hopeful note, with Rogue touching Carol again (seemingly restoring her mind to her body). Of course, in the comics, Carol was still left traumatized by the experience. She managed to regain her memories, but not the emotional bonds to those memories. Of course, that wasn't even the worst thing, that Marvel did to Carol Danvers in the early 1980s. Who could forget that horrific misogynistic story, where they had Carol raped, impregnanted, then gave birth to her own rapist... and falling in love with him. Yeah, that actually happened.

Comment

Season 2, episodes 7 & 8: "Time Fugitives".

Liked the bit where they establish that Jubilee still haven't learned to fully control her powers.

Cable's appearance here feels like it contradicts his season one appearances. Here he's got his robotic arm (whereas both his arms looked normal, in season one), and no one seems to remember meeting him before (apart from a possible throwaway line from Rogue, but nothing from Gambit).

Mutants are blamed for a mysterious virus. Feels a bit topical today (with all the Asian hate, related to COVID-19). Of course, this came out in the early 90s. The world was still in the grips of the AIDS-crisis. A lot of ignorance and misinformation going around (resulting in fear and homophobia against gay men. Heck, you could get fired, if someone just thought that you looked gay).

I like that they left both Bishop's and Cable's futures vague, rather than establishing the two as utopias. Taking away any tension from the present day stories, because we know that everything will work out in the end.
                    Last edited by jon-el87; 09-27-2021, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Disney+ is developing an X-Men: The Animated Series revival featuring a number of original voice actors for 2023.

X-Men: The Animated Series is getting a revival on Disney+.

According to TheWrap, the new show is called X-Men '97, picking up where the original 1990s series left off. Marvel Studios is producing the series, with Cal Dodd, Lenore Zann, George Buza, Adrian Hough, Christopher Britton, Catherine Disher, Chris Potter, Alison Sealy-Smith and Alyson Court all reprising their roles. Disney+ itself confirmed the news with a classic Wolverine meme.

Comment

Season 3, episodes 1 & 2: "Out of the Past".

Pretty dull Wolverine-centric two-parter. Think that I might be a bit bored with him. He's the X-Men character who is often pushed to the front. Heck, most of the Fox X-Men movies were basically (sometimes outright) Wolverine pictures. Dark Phoenix and New Mutants were really the two real breaks we got from the character. Even if a film wasn't Wolverine-centric, they still needed to make multiple references to him (Deadpool) or have him cameo (Deadpool 2, First Class and Apocalypse).

Comment

Season 3, episodes 3-7: "The Phoenix Saga, Part I-V".

Jean absorbs the Phoenix Force and becomes the one from a prophecy (I know that this is just them being comic accurate, but as I appear to be suffering from Wolverine-fatigue, I loved to hear Jean be played up as this important figure), to save everyone from the alien D'Ken.

The spaceshuttle almost crashes into the World Trade Center, in Part II. I'm assuming that's something that was edited out for syndication, for a number of years. I know that they chose not to reair that episode of The Simpsons, where Homer is at the WTC, for a number of years.

I quite liked Jean's development over these five episodes. Think that it was handled better than in the movies. Of course, here we've first got five episodes of her just becoming Phoenix (developing her powers). Then, later in the season, we get to Dark Phoenix. In the films, it all happens within the span of one single movie. She can't simply be Phoenix for 1-2 movies, then become Dark Phoenix in a later one. She has to get the powers, AND become Dark Phoenix quickly. No sweet, romantic moment, where Jean uses her Phoenix power to cancel out Scott's optic blasts (allowing them to look in each others eyes, without the visor). (I loved that moment in the comics.) Well, they sort of did in The Last Stand. However, they had it be a sinister thing (with Jean killing Scott).

Comment

Season 3, episodes 14-17: "The Dark Phoenix, Part I-IV".

The continued story and the conclusion of the Phoenix Saga. I'd like to repeat my earlier statement, that I think that the Phoenix story was handled better on this show, than in the movies. Here, like in the comics, they have Jean be manipulated and controlled by Mastermind (allowing for a bit of fun peroid romance drama, within Jean's mind. If they had the time to develop the story further, it would've been fun if they had established Jean as being a fan of historical romances, and having many books within the genre. Maybe show her writing on her own historical romance story. Giving a reason for why Mastermind would pick an 18th century romance to manipulate her: he taps into an already existing fantasy of hers, and twists it for his own gains). With it being that manipulation that sends Jean down the evil path to Dark Phoenix. In the films, they rushed it so to Dark Phoenix, that they had to explain it away with an evil personality (because multiple personalities isn't something that's been done to death). Making Jean into an evil character, simply because she had immense power. Not because an external force drove her to it.

In the comics, the solar system that Dark Phoenix destroys was inhabited. I guess that they changed it for an animated show, aimed at a young audience (not to mention, the show allows Jean to live, while the comics had her "die". She was killed off in the comics, because it was felt that she couldn't destroy a solar system (and killing an entire civilization) and go unpunished. Here, she destroyed a solar system, but doesn't kill anyone. So, she gets to live).
                            Last edited by jon-el87; 01-08-2022, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Season 3, (the episode numbering for this season is all messed up) "Cold Comfort".

Enter original X-Man Iceman. I appreciated the minor exploration of the team's early days, with Polaris seemingly taking Angel's place, as an original member (as they established him as being an unknown to the team until quite recently). I can appreciate that, even outside of the need for the change, to line up with existing continuity. The original team line-up, in the comics, was your standard superhero line-up in those days: all-white, and one female member (in an otherwise all-male team). By replacing Angel with Polaris, they changed the original team from four men and one woman, to three men and two women.

We see the original X-Men combating Magneto in some footage, which doesn't appear to line up with Magneto's past interactions with Beast (and the other X-Men).

I did think that there were unnecessary drama, between Polaris and Iceman. She fakes her disappearance, when she joins X-Factor, something that would be bound to make Iceman go looking for her. She could've just broken up with him, and allowed him to move on. If he's a decent person, he'd respect her decision to end the relationship. Sure, it hurts, but there is a right way and a wrong way to end a relationship (and faking your disappearance, to avoid having to talk to your boyfriend, is the wrong way).

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎