Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Netflix)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Netflix)

I'm gonna bite the bullet here and start a thread on this show. It's been wildly divisive online, though critically well received. I've seen MOTU fans on both sides of this.

Thoughts and opinions?

I actually liked it. I watched the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe in rerun as a kid, and had a ton of the original toy line. Being born in 1984, I was slightly under the target demo the first few years. I liked the 2002 Reboot/Update. This show was pretty cool to me. Knowing some of the background, and being familiar with some of the "controversy" going into it, I just didn't see a lot of the problem. This show is lore heavy, and seeks to do what it started off as, up the stakes and introduce a more adult MOTU with actual consequences. Being that we are only halfway into the series, I'm scratching my head at some of the complaints, as I simply don't see them panning out they way they've been screamed about online.

I get people are upset at the "wokeness" of the show, with Teela being the primary antagonist, at least initially. However, lore wise, she was bound to become that at some point. She's the Sorceress' daughter, and the future guardian of the power of Grayskull. He-Man basically already works for the Sorceress. Teela's his future boss if you want to look at it that way. It's not woke to show her journey to discovering all of this, and embracing her future. A future mind you, that was told all the way back in the original MOTU cartoon, and expanded on in many of the subsequent works.

I don't know, I'm just kind of rambling in this but what did everyone else think? Did anyone actually watch it yet?

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
    I'm gonna bite the bullet here and start a thread on this show. It's been wildly divisive online, though critically well received. I've seen MOTU fans on both sides of this.

Thoughts and opinions?

I actually liked it. I watched the original He-Man and the Masters of the Universe in rerun as a kid, and had a ton of the original toy line. Being born in 1984, I was slightly under the target demo the first few years. I liked the 2002 Reboot/Update. This show was pretty cool to me. Knowing some of the background, and being familiar with some of the "controversy" going into it, I just didn't see a lot of the problem. This show is lore heavy, and seeks to do what it started off as, up the stakes and introduce a more adult MOTU with actual consequences. Being that we are only halfway into the series, I'm scratching my head at some of the complaints, as I simply don't see them panning out they way they've been screamed about online.

I get people are upset at the "wokeness" of the show, with Teela being the primary antagonist, at least initially. However, lore wise, she was bound to become that at some point. She's the Sorceress' daughter, and the future guardian of the power of Grayskull. He-Man basically already works for the Sorceress. Teela's his future boss if you want to look at it that way. It's not woke to show her journey to discovering all of this, and embracing her future. A future mind you, that was told all the way back in the original MOTU cartoon, and expanded on in many of the subsequent works.

I don't know, I'm just kind of rambling in this but what did everyone else think? Did anyone actually watch it yet?
    I’m the same age, I couldn’t tell you what the original series was about; it wasn’t my type of show even in reruns (mine, which I still have a fondness for, even with some of the questionable adaptations was TMNT). The only thing I knew of the original MOTU series was the “I have the power!” line and that infamous live action movie, which I don’t ever remember ever watching.

I had no expectations of what I was about to watch. They pulled a GoT move and I actually appreciated the shock of the first episode’s ending. I didn’t know where they’d go with it but, I continued to watch…than they did it again with that fifth episode. Now I’m more curious where they’re take this with the next set of episodes.

I was listening to a Kevin Smith interview from the other day where he was on WMMR’s Preston and Steve show to promote the series (and Clerks 3). They made great points about the original. It wasn’t this great show; it was a collection of bizarre characters with ridiculous names. Episodes weren’t serialized like this new version and as such the stories told in the original were ones that always got resolved at the end of each episode; This MOTUS is telling a singular story over the course of a season. They also mentioned that Teela and Evil-Lyn were the only two female lead characters around (not sure about). The biggest clue pointed out was that the title is “Masters of the Universe: Revelations” not “He-Man and the Masters of the Universe” so, it told everyone from the start that this was not going to be just about one main character.

The one nitpick I would say was the casting choice of SMG; the rest of the voice cast were perfectly chosen. It felt like a miscast; she took me out of it cause I recognized her voice from the start and it just didn’t fit the look of the character. Kevin Smith even stated that Teela was drawn similar to Chyler Leigh’s look on Supergirl (which he’s directed episodes of)…kinda wish she was Teela (no clue if she actually auditioned for it).

Again, the series as is, was fine. I had no major gripes after getting over the SMG casting.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 07-30-2021, 06:27 AM.

Comment

You don't bait and switch your audience. Especially when you've been a loyal fan like them for most of your life and ought to know better. Kevin Smith handled this poorly after the leaks came out last year and his meltdown ever since people trashed the show hasn't helped either.

I've seen some episodes and on its own it's not a bad show. And the animation especially is top notch. I just feel that they would have had more good will from more people if they made it clear from the start that they were going in a different direction and were focusing on other characters.
      Last edited by costas22; 08-01-2021, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Well after everything was said and done it was a decent season/series. All the decisions creatively that were made from the first half of the season actually paid off and every character got to shine even though this was clearly a Teela story with Eric being a supporting character.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎