0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%

0 0%
  • 1 - Not brief enough

0 0%
    The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Superman & Lois: Rate #1.11 "A Brief Reminiscence In-Between Cataclysmic Events"

Talk about the June 22 episode here!

Board Master
    A love letter to fans of Superman
    comics.

I need to watch it again but a word that comes to mind first is... "Impressive". One thing this show absolutely continues to nail is the heart. It has impressive spectacle to be sure, but that spectacle rarely feels hollow or unearned. There are moments in this episode that, much like other moments in this season, are already iconic Superman moments for me. The television interview reminded me of the absolutely adorable-but-not-childish romance and chemistry of Reeve & Kidder's penthouse interview scene, but with a completely different dynamic. The fun of Lois revealing what she did, how she did it, was truly a special kind of wonderful and touching and funny, and I am loving the twist on the classic mythology of who she falls in love with first. This episode made me a believer in that swap. Tyler and Elizabeth's chemistry remains a joy to watch.
    Also, the amalgamation of different references really landed for me. The Donner-ness of the crystal and the Fortress, the Smallville vibes of adult Clark returning home, reflecting on the family photo, pulling the cover off his pod, and even lines of dialogue that called back to "Superman Returns" ("Did you find what you were looking for?", "You were gone a long time") and "Man of Steel" ("Why am I so different [from them]?"). It's an amazing blending of eras and references that, again, always feels in service of the heart and the story, not fan service and not empty spectacle.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    This episode was amazing. I like the filler in the "flashback" portions, and I also enjoyed the relationship "realignment" this show did between Lois and Clark. With the slightly antagonistic approach to Superman. It's not she didn't like him, he was just a distraction from the real problems. He was doing good, but drowning out other serious issues. I also love her falling for Clark, keeping it secret, and her producer in essence trying to set her up with Superman. I kind of dig the love triangle being a thing that exists in other people's minds.

All in all though, 10/10 for me.

This show is my heart now. This episode did things for me that haven't happened since Superman the movie. Tyler is amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by HalJordan4184 View Post
    This episode was amazing. I like the filler in the "flashback" portions, and I also enjoyed the relationship "realignment" this show did between Lois and Clark. With the slightly antagonistic approach to Superman. It's not she didn't like him, he was just a distraction from the real problems. He was doing good, but drowning out other serious issues. I also love her falling for Clark, keeping it secret, and her producer in essence trying to set her up with Superman. I kind of dig the love triangle being a thing that exists in other people's minds.

All in all though, 10/10 for me.
    Holy crap dude, I really missed you a lot. You're opinions over the years have helped to shape mine, as odd as that sounds. Glad you are loving this show, as I was wondering if it was up to standards.

New In Town
    Best episode so far. I want to see this tie-in with Krypton.

Mad Man with a Box! HalJordan4184's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kal26 View Post
    Holy crap dude, I really missed you a lot. You're opinions over the years have helped to shape mine, as odd as that sounds. Glad you are loving this show, as I was wondering if it was up to standards.
    This show is the Superman show I never knew I wanted. It's got everything I've wanted to see. It's giving us, essentially, the quintessential Superman, without throwing a bunch of contrived nonsense at us about the darkness he needs to have to be relevant, or he needs to be edgy, or anything like that. He's got problems that don't feel contrived, because they are things that would come up naturally for a person in his situation. Yeah, it's got crazy alien sci fi hijinks, and body swapping stories, and supervillains, but even without those, this show would still work as a guy who literally spends his whole life juggling being a father and husband, with saving the world.

New In Town
    Great episode. Superman&Lois is my second favorite Superman series behind Smallville. Love all the similarities/nods the show has with it.

New In Town

You said what I've been thinking. This is the Superman I've loved since I was a

t
    Quote Originally Posted by HalJordan4184 View Post
    This show is the Superman show I never knew I wanted. It's got everything I've wanted to see. It's giving us, essentially, the quintessential Superman, without throwing a bunch of contrived nonsense at us about the darkness he needs to have to be relevant, or he needs to be edgy, or anything like that. He's got problems that don't feel contrived, because they are things that would come up naturally for a person in his situation. Yeah, it's got crazy alien sci fi hijinks, and body swapping stories, and supervillains, but even without those, this show would still work as a guy who literally spends his whole life juggling being a father and husband, with saving the world.

New In Town

You've said what I've been joyful about

Quote Originally Posted by Kal26 View Post
    This show is my heart now. This episode did things for me that haven't happened since Superman the movie. Tyler is amazing!
    Please don't change it! Superman and family are the heart and soul of this show (and mine, too)
    Of course there have to be assorted terrible and powerful enemies -- Superman has to have enemies he has to struggle to overcome, or he isn't Super.

But please give the at-home thread as much time (or more!!!) as the bad-guy stuff

Forum Regular
    We pick off where last episode ended with flashbacks showing Clark's life before and after he came Superman.

The first shows us teenage Clark in Antarctica creating the Fortress Of Solitude reminiscent of the 1978 Superman film which was nice seeing younger him again.

Whoever wrote this show certainly knows Superman's mythos which I assume their fans off.

The sequence with teenage Clark running and then seeing Tyler learn to fly the first time must've been inspired by the Man Of Steel film but of course this Superman's much better than Henry Cavill's although that's not his fault just bad writing and character development on the film's part of course.

Coming back to his mother Martha who we see again got me feeling inside.

Clark you will find someone to love just as well as you did Lana which happens when we meet Lois at the Daily Planet like in the pilot episode.

So mum made his first suit from the 1948 action comics series.

Saving the green car on your first day in Metropolis now that's news worthy. Loved seeing it again.

The telephone box afterwards and Superman speaking a foreign language later on. Guys your really showing the references.

Why did I get Lois and Clark feels when Clark was trying to get a job at the Planet like when Lane Smith's Perry shot Dean Cain's Clark out the first time before he wrote the story on the actress in the due to be condemned theatre building?

Love watching bumbling Clark.

I like Lois not instantly favouring Superman and how minor stories are more important to her than him whilst Clark runs along poppy doe eyed saying, "How can I help there then?".

Seeing their interactions with one another and growing relationship made me happy. Kiss her Clark. As well as them finally getting married and having the boys.

And like the 1978 film Lois names Clark Superman.

Okay what's that glitch about?

Martha clearly likes Lois.

I'm glad Clark told Lois he's Superman instead of her finding out another way.

AI Jor-El knows something's going on i.e. the glitch been why he told Clark to leave the Fortress.

So the whole flashback sequence has been a hallucination all along created by Tar-Ro to probe Clark's mind for any weaknesses? Smart and crafty.

I swear Tar-Ro's more becoming like General Zod and the fact Clark submits to him to save his family proves that for me along with AI Jor-El saying his not who he appears to be.

Come on Superman fight him. Clark's still too weak from the Solar Flare previously.

Is the show wanting us to like Kyle then? I know what he done was for his family but there's a lot he'll have to make up for that.

I'm okay with Jordan and Sarah so long as they don't overtake the series and be on/off all the time then.

So Tar-Ro has his own fortress in the desert?

Careful Jordan your not strong enough to go up against Edge.

Lois and the boys will save Superman I'm sure.

This's how John Henry's earth starts?

I already hate AI Zeta-Ro.

Of course Lois would call John instead of Kara one because he's already experienced what'll happen and so will know how to help and two whilst COVID's still active Arrowverse shows can't crossover which I understand.

Like Supergirl season 1 barring Barry Allen Superman season 1 should find it's own feet before having guest stars pop up although I know John Diggle will crop up soon though. Also if all of what's happened on Superman and Lois has taken place whilst Kara was in the Phantom Zone then Clark wouldn't know about that another reason Kara's name isn't mentioned though you just know people on social media or somewhere like Reddit will disagree with this naturally.

I'm not happy the shows on a month's break although do understand with regards to filming and COVID and everything. It'll be worth waiting for if the writing and character direction keeps at the pace it's currently in.

Will Supergirl retake S&L's time slot or something else then?