No announcement yet.

Cobra Kai (Netflix)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cobra Kai (Netflix)

Cobra Kai is an American comedy-drama web television series based on The Karate Kid film series created by Robert Mark Kamen that premiered on May 2, 2018 on YouTube Red. The television series takes place 34 years after the original film and follows the reopening of the Cobra Kai karate dojo by Johnny Lawrence and the rekindling of his old rivalry with Daniel LaRusso. The series was created by Jon Hurwitz, Hayden Schlossberg, and Josh Heald and stars Ralph Macchio and William Zabka, reprising their roles as Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence from the films respectively.

The series is much better than the original film. I re-watched it a few months ago (which I probably haven’t since I was a kid) but, man was it terrible; even back in 80s it may have been just ok. There was very little actual martial arts in the movie and Daniel won the match out of shear dumb luck. He was definitely beat up throughout the movie but, beyond that Mr. Miyagi didn’t really show Daniel much (or should I say we didn’t see much training in the movie)...which I think is more about when the movie was made.

The series actually builds on the mythology. The first two seasons gave you a better sense of the martial arts Mr. Miyagi showed Daniel (beyond wax on, wax off). I actually believe Daniel LaRusso was skilled enough to take what he learned and teach his daughter, Robbie and the rest of the kids martial arts.

Comment

Once again they’ve done it with that season finale. It was an all out action packed climatic finale. I’m wondering if that’s going to be a trend with the series...how will the out do themselves next season. Though that ending has cemented a final endgame showdown so, I won’t be surprised if Netflix calls S4 the final season.

[SPOILER] It’s going to be fun to see how Johnny and Daniel will lead a now merged dojo against Krese’s Cobra Kai.[/SPOILER]

I just got one nitpick about this 3rd season in particular...Where were the cops? In several occasions throughout this season (even from S1) why at no point doesn’t (a) anyone call the police? and (b) the police show up? I know it’s a tv series but, any sane person who saw a fight would actually call the police. In the context of the present day there would be people recording it on their phones and it’ll go viral like wildfire.

Comment

This is actually one of the better shows airing right now. DP, I still love the original movies and wouldn't be watching this without them.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎