No announcement yet.

Secret Invasion (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Invasion (Disney+)

Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami) will play a lead opposite Samuel L. Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn on the series.

In Secret Invasion, Jackson and Mendelsohn reprise their MCU characters Nick Fury and the Skrull Talos, respectively, who first met in Captain Marvel.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/kingsle...us-1234714269/

Comment

Olivia Colman (The Father)is in talks to join the series. It is unclear who Colman would play.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...sion-exclusive

Comment

Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones) is in final negotiations to join the series.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/e...el-1234955746/

Comment

Cobie Smulders to reprise Maria Hill role in the series.

https://deadline.com/2021/12/cobie-s...on-1234883068/

Comment

Comment

Fury (1:27): "And what they really want."

Unidentified man (1:38): "And what is that?"

Hulkling? (The son of Mar-Vell and a member of the Skrull royal family, making him the heir to their throne.)

Comment

After months of speculation, Samuel L. Jackson confirms Emilia Clarke’s mysterious Secret Invasion character already appeared in Captain Marvel.

Emilia Clarke's role in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe series Secret Invasion has finally been revealed... and she's not new to the franchise.

In a feature for Vanity Fair, Samuel L. Jackson, who will once again be donning the eyepatch of Nick Fury in the show, confirmed that Clarke's character already appeared in the 2019 film Captain Marvel. "Remember when Ben [Mendelsohn, who plays Skrull Talos] was there with his wife and daughter?" Jackson said. "She’s the little Skrull girl grown up. She's his daughter." Named G'iah, the young Skrull is described as a radical with differing ideals from her father regarding how the alien species should approach living on Earth.

When asked about how her character fits into the over-arching plot of Secret Invasion, Clarke acknowledged that G'iah's relationship with Talos will be both strained and a point of focus. "She's a refugee kid who's had Talos for a dad, you know what I mean?" the actor explained. "Maybe the fact that we didn't know he had a kid up until this point tells you everything you need to know about their relationship."

Comment

Comment

While Secret Invasion has received solid early feedback from critics, the Samuel L. Jackson-led miniseries garners an unwanted record for the MCU.

As Secret Invasion hopes to seize the interest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe faithful, the Disney+ miniseries captures an unwanted record as early reviews come in.

A quick look at Rotten Tomatoes shows Secret Invasion boasting a 73% average critical rating from 39 reviews on the popular review aggregator website at the time of writing. While the rating is more than respectable and certifies the show as "Fresh," it also means Secret Invasion is the lowest-rated MCU series ever. The spy thriller has a ways to go to catch the previous record-holder, She-Hulk: Attorney at Law, which currently holds an 80% critical rating, while Falcon and the Winter Soldier is slightly ahead at 84%
                    At the moment, I'm unsure about watching this. I feel like I'm done with the MCU.

Comment

Episode 1.

Decided to give the show a shot.

[SPOILER]Maria Hill's death probably would've affected me more, if this wasn't the "Marvel Fake Death Universe". They've pulled this stunt too many times. Look, she's going to be revealed to still be alive, so no point in getting all emotional about it.[/SPOILER]

Comment

Yeah, this show is giving me Falcon and the Winter Soldier flashbacks. No doubt the whole thing will end with a cringeworthy speech about how we shouldn't call the Skrulls "terrorists" or "invaders" (after an entire season of them committing acts of terrorism, infiltrating governments, and plotted world domination and wiping out humanity), and how the government failed to find them a new home (even though humanity doesn't possess the technology to find properly habitable planets in this galaxy). So I'm not going to stick with the show.

Comment

This show is a mix of Falcon And The Winter Soldier and Kenobi. Here's why I make each comparison:

- It's set in an utterly cynical post-Blip world and the writers just go out of their way to downplay the heroics of the Avengers and how they saved the world. See, it's not important that Thanos' invasion was thwarted and all the people that were dusted 5 years ago returned to life. No. It's only important to shed light on the negatives of what the Avengers did. How the Blip caused many people to suddenly become refugees. Or how in this case the Skrulls were let down by Nick Fury and Carol Danvers. Another meta reference to how refugees were promised a home for their illegal invasion and they were denied. Add Falcon's and Fury's rants about how "people who look like them" are constantly victimized and you get 2 shows that only care about dishing out radical left wing manifestos. And I also have no doubt that by the end Gravik's cause will be somehow glorified. That's what these hacks do. They pretend like the world is only grey and in that spirit anyone is justified to become a terrorist because a promise wasn't kept or because their race/genser was supressed many decades ago. Give me a f***ing break with this crap that's infesting Hollywood everywhere right now. From superhero movies to Barbie.

- The Kenobi comparison is a bit more superficial and it's related to how the writers completely deconstructed Nick Fury in this movie for 5 out of 6 episodes. Just like the writers of Kenobi did with Obi Wan. For 5 episodes he was shown to be old and a shell of his former self while other characters were propped up at his expense. In the end he magically became the character we loved in the movies and suddenly we were supposed to let go of the frustration we felt until that point. It doesn't work like that. And in Fury's case, are we supposed to feel excited that after 5 episodes of everyone telling us how old and washed up he is that he put on his old trench coat and eye patch? Here's an idea: When fans only watch your show for a specific character, don't jerk them around for 80% of the series...

And of course Maria Hill is not dead...

Comment

- Fury depicted as the loser who didn't keep his promise and didn't actually accomplish anything importan in his career? Check.

- Fury deconstructed as a man so that his wife can be propped up to his level (he even has to apologize to her even though she was tasked to kill him )? Check.

- The Skrulls portrayed as the actual victims while the evil white male President wages war on them? Check.

- G'hia becoming the girl boss who defeats the villain and saves the day? Check.

- Sonya and G'hia teaming up to do what those useless males Talos and Fury couldn't? Check.

- Nonstop preachy anvils about how we should love people who are different? Check.

The only surprise was that Maria Hill truly is dead. Didn't expect that one. Maybe Smulders is done with the character and the MCU anyway. Wouldn't blame her.

All in all, this was the worst MCU series that I've seen on Disney+ (keep in mind that I haven't watched She Hulk). The funny thing is that the writers of this show are among those currently protesting for what they're making. With such crappy work, they are lucky to be making anything. Hell, the main reason why Disney+ has been losing subscribers and money this past year is all this garbage that comes out of the head of activists masquerading as hack writers.

Comment

Decided to finish the series. Well, I was essentially right when I said: "the whole thing will end with a cringeworthy speech about how we shouldn't call the Skrulls "terrorists" or "invaders" (after an entire season of them committing acts of terrorism, infiltrating governments, and plotted world domination and wiping out humanity)".

The U.S. President is framed as wrong for wanting to fight what has thus far been an invasion force, that have committed acts of terrorism, infiltrated governments, abducting potentially upwards to a million people (and replacing them), and almost wiped out all of humanity. We're never shown a large group of Skrulls living peacefully, with no ill will against humanity. Everyone of them is seemingly in on it, even Mrs. Fury. The only exception is Talos, and even he went behind Fury's back, and arranged for over a million Skrulls to get to Earth in secret (thus getting us into this situation).

Skrulls being unable to live openly and in peace on Earth is blamed on human intolerance. Here's the thing: the Skrulls are a people with a lot of enemies. Most notable the Kree empire. This means that there is a risk of the Skrull's enemies turning their wrath and (superior) military power against Earth. And what do we really know about the Skrull-Kree conflict? Just what we're (and the characters are) told, but never shown. Okay, the Kree empire is bad, does that automatically make all of their adversaries good? In the comics, the Skrulls also deals in empire. How do we know that this isn't a conflict between two empires, where one side managed to destroy the other's homeworld?

Emilia Clarke's character becomes an überpowerful being, possessing the powers of all the Avengers and more. Okay, so now you have this being possessing all of these powers, do you need anyone else? Or will they constantly forget about this ûberpowerful being, that they could call in at any moment, whenever the plot requires them to (to give the plot of that show/movie some stakes)? During the fight, I found myself wondering if they're intending on replacing Hulkling with this character (it's a question I've been having in different forms since 2019). If so, not cool. Also, will she be in The Marvels, seeing as she has Carol's powers/DNA? Because there you have something that directly links her to Carol. (If something happens with Carol's powers (which the trailers establishes), does it also happen to Clarke's character?)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎