No announcement yet.

Season 6 discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 6 discussion

Started to watch the sixth season on Disney+ and have watched the first four episodes.

Not super interested in the quest for Fitz. Though, I like that the characters are split up and given individual plots and arcs. It feels like everyone has something to do. It beats all the main characters standing around at HQ. A few just standing there, because there's nothing for them in that scene to do.

The question of not Coulson is a little bit interesting (though, I know the resultion, so I can't speculate about it).

Sad moment when Yo-Yo had to kill Keller.

Was nice seeing Deke back in the fourth episode. Did not care for the Sequoia character. Did not care for the performance (played by showrunner Maurissa Tancharoen, so she probably didn't need to audition). The character felt like an annoying caricature of a social media influencer, rather than an actual person. I don't have much experience with influencers, but the ones that I've heard about tend to be 20-something, and the role feels like it calls for a 20-something woman. Meanwhile, Tancharoen is in her 40's. So, the character ends up looking exactly like what she is: a woman in her 40's, mocking the careers of women about 20-years her junior. Mocking them for doing something, that she didn't do, when she was in her 20's (in the 1990s).
    Last edited by jon-el87; 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM.

Watched the fifth episode. Looking at the Marvel Database wiki, Pachakutiq, the Shrike creates, Snowflake and the Chronicoms appears to be original to the show. In fact, the only characters, in this episode, that appears to originate from the comics (I'm not counting characters created for the show, then introduced into the main comic book continuity) are Daisy (who I've grown bored with long ago), Yo-Yo and Mack. The other 13 (named) characters are all original to the show. Absent main character Deke is also original.

I don't mind comic book adaptations creating some of their own characters. I had no problem with the majority of the villains of the week on Smallville being original characters (after all, it'd be ridiculous if Clark ran into and defeated his entire rogues gallery when he was 14. And most of them were one-off cannon fodder, not major players). However, when you look at the main cast: out of 17 main characters (Clark, Chloe, Lana, Lex, Lois, Jonathan, Martha, Lionel, Pete, Tess, Oliver, Jimmy, Whitney, Jason, Kara, Davis and Zod), over the span of ten years, only three (Chloe, Whitney and Jason. With Whitney (whose family, Fordmans and their store, are from the comics) and Jason being a main character for one season each) were fully original to the show. Tess was revealed to be born Lutessa Lena Luthor, making her an adaptation of Lena Luthor. Lex's dad was a pre-existing character, the show just gave him the name "Lionel". Davis was an adaptation of Doomsday. 14 out of 17 main characters were adaptations of existing comic book characters.

Here, almost all the characters are original, including the threats (limiting the show's ties to the source material). The show seemingly ignores Avengers: Infinity War, raising the question if they're even pretending that this show is set within the MCU anymore.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 10-17-2020, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Episode six. Quite an interesting way to bring Fitz up to speed about the events of last season. Interesting seeing the past of FitzSimmons being explored... however, at times, it felt like things that could've been explored long ago. The show focuses heavily on Daisy, to the possible detrament of the others. Sure, Fitz, Simmons and the others are given things, but when they list various things (like the astronaut), you realize how many things that you have forgotten; whereas things related to Daisy tends to be front and center (more prominent. The writers always aspire to make the show about her). When "child Simmons" called for her dad, all I could think about was that we've never met her parents, whereas Daisy's had an entire season devoted to them. Nor have we met Fitz's (not counting the Framework simulation of his dad, who I forgot about, until they mentioned him). Of course, we shouldn't have to meet someone's parents, for a character to matter, just reflecting at how often the show is about Daisy (versus everyone else).

Marvel incorporated Fitz and Simmons into the comics, where Simmons ends up becoming a Deathlok. I would've liked to have seen this development on the show. Instead, Simmons is emotionally repressed and, in this episode, literaly transforms into (and behaves like) a 7-year-old, when put under pressure. I'm not hating on the show, I just think that they could do more with Simmons (and everyone who isn't Daisy, who sometimes left me feeling like this show should've just been renamed Quake or Daisy Johnson, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.; because it was almost always about her).

Comment

Episodes seven and eighth. The scene with Daisy wanting to talk to Mack about his relationship with Yo-Yo. Felt like the scene had been written as part of an exhange program with writers from the CW.

That putting two Shrikes together in a room, was a bad idea, felt predictable. They had established that the two hosts were moving towards each other. The agents should've considered that them coming into the same space might be what the hosts were trying to do.

Oh, and Daisy is a hacker... something that hasn't been relevant (not even in this episode) to the plot in like forever. It just feels like something, that they throw in a passing reference (on occasion), for the sake of continuity. Can she even be described as a "hacker", when she hasn't used that skill in ages? After all, if you don't use a skill, you will eventually lose it. Not to mention, computers are always evolving. This episode aired in 2019. I can't remember Daisy hacking anything like post-s1 (2013-2014). If she hasn't hacked since/kept up with recent developments, then her hacking skills could be as much as five years out of date. Not that it matters, she's a TV hacker (not a real-world one).

Comment

Episode nine. Opening cliffhanger gets resolved by Daisy saving everyone from the nuke (what a surprise). She also saves everyone on the truck from the Shrike (what a surprise). At least Yo-Yo got to save the day onboard the Zephyr. Liked the interaction between Deke and Fitz.

Episode ten. We finally learn why Sarge looks and sounds just like Coulson. As I already knew, going in, what the revelation would be, I can't comment on the overall impact on it (to me as a viewer). I didn't spend the majority of the season, trying to figure out who this guy is and why he looks like Coulson. Prior to the original airing of S6, I had a theory that he would turn out to be Aarkus (the original Vision, tying into an old fan theory that Coulson would become the Vision, after his death in The Avengers), which I would've liked to have seen. The way that they've set up Sarge (a being inhabiting the body of a duplicate Coulson, with the memories of the original), it feels like they're expecting me (the viewer) to be expecting the entity and the host to be separated at the end (giving the team Phil Coulson "back"). Being semi-aware of S7, I know that won't happen. However, even if I didn't, I doubt that I would've bought the idea of it happening. It would've been a lazy cop-out. The show started with bringing Coulson back to life. They ended season 5 with killing off Fitz, only to quickly note that there's another Fitz somewhere in space. Doing it again with Coulson and Sarge would've sent a signal that there really are no consequences on this show.

Comment

Episode eleven. I'm reluctant to call this a Daisy-centric episode... as that would imply that the show's plot being Daisy-centric is an occasional thing (rather than the status quo).

The bit with Benson's husband was really sad. Liked seeing Deke, Fitz and Simmons working together.

Comment

Episodes 12 and 13. Thought the two-part finale was okay (though, it does seem clear that they've given up the pretense that this show really is set in the MCU. In the MCU, you'd expect someone, when faced by this threat, would say "maybe we should call the Avengers"). Liked seeing Flint come back (even though he was just a Monolith reproduction).

The ending seemed interesting. Though, I'll have to wait to watch season 7, until Disney+ makes it available.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎