Thread: Smallville

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar

Smallville

What does everyone think of Smallville being a major part of the new show? Treading old ground or a good nostalgia thing that could make the show even better?

The latest teaser which talks about this can be seen HERE: http://www.kryptonsite.com/superman-...in-smallville/

I'll have to wait and see. I've yet to watch any Arrowverse show past the Crisis event and I need to play catch-up. But unfortunately I don't feel like it I'm just not excited anymore about any of the shows. Even before Crisis it sometimes felt more like a duty than a joy to watch these shows drag on.

I really did enjoy Stargirl and watched all episodes twice already because I've showed it other people!

So, as for Superman & Lois: I have to wait and see.

At the moment, I have no plans to watch this. Think I gave up on the Arrowverse about two years ago or something. Never got into Arrow. Quit The Flash after season 3. Dropped Supergirl somewhere in season 2 (or something). Stopped watching Legends (a show that I was only still watching, because it was on Netflix, and I wanted to use Netflix more than I was) a few episodes into season 4. Outside of the Earth-167 scene, I've never checked out Batwoman.

Like DJ said, it felt more like a duty to watch than a joy. With this, nothing have really peaked my interest. I'm not watching a new show for the sake of nostalgia for an unrelated show (when I could just watch the actual show). Though, it won't surprise me if they'll try to cash in on people's nostalgia (to be fair, they're not alone with trying to cash in on nostalgia, rather than doing something new). There's an episode of Legends, where one character is standing next to a Delorean, just so that they can essentially say "hey, remember Back to the Future?" It had nothing to do with the plot of the episode (which was a blatant E.T. rip-off), as I recall it. Just them throwing out a random reference to something else and expecting me to get a warm feeling from it... instead I just felt empty. Am I suppose to clap my hands, just because they have a character standing next to a random Delorean? Why am I watching you going "hey, remember Back to the Future?" (that you're just assuming that I'm a fan of), when I can just watch the real deal?
    Last edited by jon-el87; 09-18-2020 at 11:37 PM.

Stranger Than Reality! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Firstly, I will never refer to these shows as being in the CWverse. They will forever live on in the Arrowverse; more so after the events of Crisis.

I donít mind going back to the Smallville well. Itís been 10yrs since the original series ended. I personally havenít revisited the series since its finale. Truth be told there hasnít been a proper Superman series since Lois & Clark.

I get the fatigue with these shows. I have to say that towards the last few seasons of Arrow, I was tempted to call it quits; Iíd miss an episode or two but, Iíd eventually watch them on DVR.

Itís over saturation, no question, over half these shows live on one network and theyíre all interconnected and most are 21+ episodes a season. It becomes a daunting task.
    Iím crossing my fingers that since everything has been pushed back to midseason and the seasons shortened due to the pandemic that itís shifted how these shows are produced moving forward.

I do see where both of you are coming from, of too much of a good thing. I think that might be the biggest challenge for Superman & Lois actually: It could be an AMAZING show on its own, but will the intimidation of feeling like you have to be caught up with everything else feel like too much? Part of what made Smallville work for so long is it was the only show of its kind for most of its run.

With that said, maybe the small town vibe will help the show to stand out. And I do admit the Smallville imagery has helped to get me even more hyped.

Wow. I told myself I had to watch all the DC shows in order and I'm still stuck at the end of Arrow season 2 I think. I got such a buzz off of the SV Clark and Lois cameo during the crossover event. I might just skip everything to watch this. It's like a sequel to Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher's Lois and Clark with some Smallville backstory sprinkled in. And they are a different universe so their version of Smallville may be a fun discovery too. I'm in. Probably not live but... I'll watch.

Welcome back ginnyfan!!! Nice to see some familiar faces back around here.

Thanks! It's fantastic to see Ksite thriving after all this time! So many happy memories.