Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar

Ruby Rose Leaves Batwoman

Ruby Rose has left CW's Batwoman. The reason is not known for her departure but it was stated the role will be recast before season 2 begins filming.

http://batwomantv.com/shocker-ruby-r...fore-season-2/
    Last edited by KSiteTV; 05-20-2020 at 12:39 AM. Reason: BatwomanTV link please

Stranger Than Reality! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Wow that’s a shocker! They obviously waited until S1 finale to drop the news. What happened?!? I guess, better now than several seasons into the series. They could find a way to incorporate a new Batwoman into the fold that could come from another Earth…after all a new multiverse post-crisis exists. They could even go with Rachel Skarsten in the dual role (just an idea). I mean it’s a comic book series there’s ways to do it to make it part of the story somehow without skipping a beat.

Can't say it comes as a total shock. It's not an easy life and there were a couple of times this year (like the way Ruby reacted to online trolling or when she got injured) where I wondered if she would be in it for the long haul. 5-7 years of this is a lot to ask of anyone. And I agree with darkphoenix that it's for the best that she made the decision now instead of after season 3 or 4.

Now the person coming in won't have to be in the shadow of her predecessor.
    Last edited by costas22; 05-19-2020 at 05:32 PM.

Ohh Man she was a IMO the best Batwoman so far..and the perfect actress for the role. Well I was looking forward to seeing her in the second season but after getting injured in doing stunts, I guess I kind of understand. If/when the production ever starts, its going to strange to see another actress other than Ruby playing Batwoman.

I just hope that online hatred wasn't the motivator.

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post

I just hope that online hatred wasn't the motivator.
    I don't think that's what it was... every show has haters. But I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Arrowverse thing was more than she bargained for.

I remember even when she skipped out on Comic-Con last summer, thinking it was a bit strange...

Quote Originally Posted by KSiteTV View Post
    I don't think that's what it was... every show has haters. But I wouldn't be surprised if this whole Arrowverse thing was more than she bargained for.
    Yeah, naturally there could be any number of explainations: contract disputes; Ruby not wanting to be locked down to filming 22 episodes in Vancouver every year (thus having to turn down other opportunities); some unknown behind the scenes drama; Ruby finding the hours exhausting (especially around the annual crossover); Ruby disliking the writing or the direction of the show and/or of her character.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 05-20-2020 at 05:16 AM.

Caroling Dries is the main showrunner, isn't she?

I can see why that would attract criticisms over the creative direction and why Ruby *maybe* not have been a fan.

The big question is how this will affect the show's ratings. Probably were an X amount who were watching it for Ruby Rose. Will they stick around? Will the viewers accept this new Kate Kane?

You don't often see a recasting of the main character like this. The one example that I can think off is the 1980s Superboy TV series, where Clark was recast after the first season. While it lasted another three seasons, I have no idea how it affected the ratings. What were the show's main viewers (age range)? Not to mention, that was 30 years ago. An extremely different media landscape.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 05-20-2020 at 10:28 AM.

Stranger Than Reality! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    Yeah, naturally there could be any number of explainations: contract disputes; Ruby not wanting to be locked down to filming 22 episodes in Vancouver every year (thus having to turn down other opportunities); some unknown behind the scenes drama; Ruby finding the hours exhausting (especially around the annual crossover); Ruby disliking the writing or the direction of the show and/or of her character.
    This seems to be the main reason she wanted out, from what I’ve read.

Madman With A Blue Box Austin 3:16's Avatar
    The funny thing is with all the attention the recasting will get, i could see ratings going up out of curiosity over who will be the new Kate/Batwoman.

Ive heard people saying that Bex Taylor-Klaus may be in the running to take over the lead role.

It makes me wonder if her leaving could be why we didnt see the photo of her and Kara in that frame in the season finale. According to interviews with showrunner Caroline Dries, saying the photo couldnt be done due to lockdown but could it really be they knew she was leaving and didnt want to retake the pic of her and Melissa Benoist? You can easily CGI a photo into a frame so maybe it was that she was leaving?

Ruby Rose's Batwoman Exit: The Story Behind Her Shocking Departure: https://tvline.com/2020/05/20/ruby-r...parture-scoop/

I tend to agree with André's interpretation of events in this video (disclaimer: like André, I haven't seen a single standalone episode of Batwoman (only the crossover part) and have no personal opinion on her performance in the role).