No announcement yet.

She-Hulk (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 2:

Blonsky! You're not supposed to talk about fight club!

Emil Blonsky: "I could swear that I saw a dude looking like Bruce Banner at that place!"

Felt that the episode was too short.

I thought that the episode was an improvement over last week's. Though, I still have no idea where they're going. Who is the big bad? Mr. Holliday?

Jennifer objects to being called "She-Hulk". If the episode was longer, and allowed for more serious drama, they could've done more with that. Jennifer is the cousin of Bruce Banner, who've been known to be the Hulk for ages. I want to know how this has affected her life. Has she been on dates, where the dude was more interested in asking questions about her cousin? Perhaps similar situations, with people around her? Was Jennifer under surveillance, while Bruce was on the run, pre-Avengers? Has she had to live in his shadow, basically her whole life? Because there's a lot of dramatic potential. Jennifer has always been in his shadow: first she was the cousin of Bruce Banner, the scientific genius. Then she was the cousin of the Hulk, the superhero and Avenger. She worked hard to get out of his shadow, and forge a place for herself... then she gets some of Bruce's blood, and everyone instantly throws Jennifer back into Bruce's shadow, by calling her "She-Hulk". Where is that story in this episode/show?

In one scene, Jennifer questions if the Avengers offers maternity leave. In a way, that would be a fair question. However, at this time, the Avengers have been disbanded. There are no Avengers organization, so there is no one to offer maternity leave to female members. And when the Avengers existed, its female members were Black Widow (who was subjected to forced sterilization as a child, so she couldn't have children) and Scarlet Witch (who was in a relationship with an inorganic being. Her "children" were magical constructs, who aged themselves from newborns into ten-years-old in one day). Neither of whom would be in need for maternity leave.

When you look outside of official Avengers members you've got Gamora, Nebula, Wasp, Captain Marvel, Valkyrie (should I count Pepper Potts?), Kate Bishop, and Yelena Belova. Gamora was involved with a man, from another species (might therefore have been unable to reproduce). As for the rest... Nebula, Kate Bishop and Captain Marvel are completely devoid of a romantic or sexual life. As is Yelena (who has been subjected to the same thing as Natasha Romanov, and thus unable to have children). Wasp's involvement with Ant-Man is vague, and undefinied. Haven't seen Love and Thunder, but I can't find any reference online to Valkyrie now being in a romantic relationship (especially one that could lead to her getting pregnant, and needing maternity leave). The only female superhero with a child is Pepper Potts/Rescue. And she didn't don the armor (which, thus far, appears to have been a one-time thing, rather than Pepper is still active as a superhero), until her daughter was like five (way past the point of maternity leave), and is a billionaire (thus able to afford a nanny). Where are the female superheroes, in the MCU, who'd need maternity leave?

If Jennifer is to bring up the issue of having children, wouldn't her main concerns be more of a medical one? Can she have children (or did the infection of Bruce's gamma mutated blood render her infertile)? If she gets pregnant, what possible effect might her gamma mutated blood have on the embryo, and eventual child? These are the types of questions that she should ask her, not if a no longer existing organization (that only ever had two proper female members, neither of whom could get pregnant, for different reasons) offers maternity leave.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 08-31-2022, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Episode 2: Superhuman Law

Again, didn’t really laugh in this episode. I don’t know if many sitcoms do for me, but nonetheless I still enjoy them. And speaking of which…

I know it’s a sitcom, but wow was that episode short. I keep forgetting that you have to minus 7-8mins to these shows for the credits; so this 30min episode was really 22mins (which is the typical length of a sitcom on network tv). I was really expecting these episodes to be about 38mins (with the credits).

Anyway, I wasn’t surprised that she was initially fired. I get that they didn’t want to take on the liability she would create, but we also understand that they live in the MCU, where that has become a normal part of life (especially in New York)…and the primary reason they created a superhuman division. It’s unfortunate that she had to accept the job even before she really knew what it would mean.

I’m glad that we’re still leaning into Jen fighting to be taken seriously as a lawyer and wanting a normal life. She doesn’t want to be a superhero and she didn’t ask for these powers.

I really thought we’d be getting more third wall breaking, but it was only used once in this episode as she was going through her new workplace.

Emil Blonsky as her first case wasn’t shocking as we already saw him in the promos. I liked how they incorporated the fight club scene from Shang-Chi; it’s all world building, so glad it was referenced. This means that we’re probably getting Wong in the next episode.

As Jen was debating taking the case I did have it in my head that she should probably talk it over with Bruce, so I was glad we saw that in the next scene. It figures that she wouldn’t let him speak and he already knew that she accepted the case. She just needed his approval.

It was nice to have those subtle nods to the other Hulk movies and Bruce forgiving Emil. The reveal that Bruce was in the Sakaar ship was subtly well done…I guess he has an intergalactic phone plan 😂 Hopefully it’s not the last we see of Bruce on this series.

The family dinner scene I could have done without; it just felt forced and cliché. I did like the next scene with the dad (Perfect Strangers’ Mark Linn-Baker😄 )

So far it’s still good, I just hope these episodes aren’t shorter than this…please be a few minutes longer.
      Last edited by darkphoenix21; 08-25-2022, 04:53 AM.

Comment

After months of rumors, rapper Megan Thee Stallion joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe for an undisclosed role in She-Hulk: Attorney at Law.

After months of rumors, rapper Megan Thee Stallion joins the Marvel Cinematic Universe for an undisclosed role in She-Hulk: Attorney at Law.
        Well, I was already unsure about sticking with this show. I mean, I have basically next to no idea who this is, but still. It feels like a weird stunt casting, done in an attempt to seem like they're "in with the kids" or something. Like when they had that Harry Styles bloke play Starfox. It's like... why?
        Last edited by jon-el87; 08-29-2022, 09:47 AM.

Comment

That’s nothing to really judge the rest of the series on…I don’t pay any mind to these types of stories; she’ll pop in and out. Supposedly, there’s several surprise cameos throughout the season.

Comment

Originally posted by darkphoenix21
            That’s nothing to really judge the rest of the series on.
            I don't. It's the whole show. This show aspires to be a sitcom, but I'm not laughing at any jokes (which jumps between extremely childish, framing the show as being for little kids, to very sexual discussions and references, that are not age appropriate for small children). Actual character moments and drama, is pushed aside for more attempts at humor. The episodes are too short.

The Hulk/She-Hulk fight in the first episode was uncomfortable to watch. The writers clearly wanted to show that She-Hulk can go toe-to-toe with the Hulk, but the actual physical confrontation (between an extremely muscular man and a petite woman) made me uncomfortable. I don't normally get uncomfortable during fight scenes, but this time I did.

When Titania showed up, at the end of the first episode, I figured that she was a hitwoman. Hired to take out a witness, with She-Hulk having to dive into some big conspiracy or something. Come episode two... and Titania turns out to have just been a random superhuman, who had fled traffic court. She wasn't out to hurt anyone, or working for anyone.

The second episode ends with Abomination seemingly having escaped prison... Only, we've already seen the other side of this event in Shang-Chi: after the fight, Blonsky returns to his cell. So, this show isn't going to be "Jennifer Walters has to become She-Hulk, and track down/take down Abomination". Come next episode, Blonsky will already be back in his cell (without She-Hulk having lifted a finger).

So, what will turn out to be the big threat for She-Hulk to defeat? I mean, my money's on her new boss, but that's more of a hunch, based on their frequent (unsubtle) political statements in the episodes, than anything else.

After the first episode, I was more curious about the woman, whom Bruce claims that Steve Rogers slept with in 1943 (I think that they should've given her a name, thus humanizing her), than Jennifer's continued story. In the second episode, Bruce is shown on a spaceship, and mysteriously goes into space. Making his stuff more interesting, than She-Hulk's... on a She-Hulk show!

There are plenty of other issues that I have with the show, but I don't feel like listing everything.

It feels like I've already seen the most important stuff of the show, in the first episode: who Jennifer Walters is, how she became She-Hulk, and that She-Hulk now exists. Also, the cast and characters section on the show's Wikipedia page gives away what'll happen to a lot of the characters. I already know what will happen to Blonsky (and other characters), because I read a bit of a Wikipedia article, when the episodes that those develops happen in haven't even aired yet. The information was probably there, before the premiere of the show. The people involved with the show went out and revealed what will happen, before the show even started airing.
            Last edited by jon-el87; 08-31-2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Episode 3.

I switched it off after a few minutes. I've been in enough toxic relationships with actual people, I don't need one with a TV show (sometimes it's better to just openly acknowledge that you just aren't enjoying a show, and move on from it). After I switched it off, I watched two episodes of The Golden Girls (I love that show).

EDIT: Heard that they whitewashed Thunderball (a member of the Wrecking Crew), who is supposed to be a black character. So that's Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, the Ancient One, and now Thunderball, that the MCU have whitewashed. Am I forgetting anyone?
              Last edited by jon-el87; 09-03-2022, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Episode 3: The People vs Emil Blonsky

This was the exact type of episode that I imagined we would see with the “Ally McBeal in the MCU” premise of the series. This was silly and goofy like older sitcoms tend to be (at least the ones prior to the 2000s).

I continue to love how they use the third-wall-breaking sparingly and move on with the rest of the show. It’s used once and twice an episode and it never seems to jarring.

I thought that the trial of Emil Blonsky would be an on going S1 over arching storyline, but just like that it was over and done with. I did get a laugh when his seven pen pals showed at the trial.

The other trial of Bukowski against a shapeshifting Asgardian was meant for laughs. And now we know why Megan The Stallion made a cameo appearance…and as predicted her little stint in the series was about 30secs of screen time (with her trial appearance and the post credit scene). I’m still enjoying it and look forward to each post credit scene gag.

The Wong appearance was good. I laughed after he set the record straight with Emil and when the guy stated that he technically committed a crime he went “bye” and got out of dodge fast. I’m just wondering what exactly is Wong training to do?

Comment

Episode 4: Is This Not Magic?

Ok, I found the episode cringy from the bad magician to the drunk girl who became Wong’s bff. This felt like something you’d see in a cheesy ‘90s sitcom. It leaned way too much into bad clichés.

And speaking of bad clichés, that whole dating montage was stupid. I just thought, wow, this is really bad; anyone could write this sort of scene. I knew something had to give when the “surgeon” showed up (as we saw in the promos). I haven’t wiki’d it yet, but I’m curious who She-Hulk winds up with (at least in the comics).

The only part that I enjoyed of the episode was when Jen/She-Hulk had to help Wong after the wack magician conjured up a demon which lead to a slew of them coming through the portal.

We knew Titania was going to be back eventually. suing Jen for trademark infringement of the She-Hulk name was interesting. We’ll see how that goes in the next episode.
                  Last edited by darkphoenix21; 09-09-2022, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Comment

Episode 5: Mean, Green, and Straight Poured into These Jeans

Well, Titania tried and failed to trademark the She-Hulk name, which was jest of this episode. That’s a shame she had to go through her bad dating life and get reminded that that surgeon was only ever interested in She-Hulk…again curious if in the comics she finds someone that accepts all of her.

I was more interested in the shenanigans of Nikki & Pug. Buying expensive sneakers to collect is definitely something people do. I could watch more of those two getting into all sorts of things for the sake of Jen and/or just for laughs.

I really thought we’d get a post credit scene since we’ve gotten one with each new episode. I would have thought at the very least Jen would pop out of the credits and let people know that there wasn’t and we wouldn’t see the new improved She-Hulk look until next week; essentially using 4-Wall breaking since it really wasn’t used in this episode.

We did at least get a tease of the Daredevil cowl. It looks like either he’s new to the superhero club (in MCU canon) or he needed to freshen up his suit. Hopefully we find out next week. I even thought Jen would acknowledge that little tease too.

Comment

Episode 6: Just Jen

This one as Jen pointed out was pretty much a filler that had to be dropped in the middle of the action.

The only real development happened right before the credits roll with whatever organization is trying to get her blood has resorted to making a Hulk-sized needle that will penetrate her skin to get the sample.

The problem with the series that it’s not leaning far enough into the comedy or the 4-wall breaking elements. They’re not going all the way ridiculousness for a series like this.

This whole episode could have been avoided. The wedding stuff was cringy, especially the bride; Jen wasn’t even close with the girl to have accepted the invitation to be a bridesmaid. The only reason Jen accepted was to show how successful she became and actually show off She-Hulk; obviously, that was quickly squashed by the bride.

Tatiana is the most annoying villain in the world. Her only reason for being there was to antagonize Jen. I guess from watching the review videos on YouTube…Tatiana always loses to She-Hulk so it’s a running gag.

The Mallory & Nikki court case subplot was more interesting than our main wedding plot. This series should have really focused on the law procedural aspect (at least for the first few episodes) than get into the main plot of the series.

I hope we get to the real plot of the series next episode and we don’t leave Daredevil until the penultimate or final episode.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎