No announcement yet.

Gotham #5.3 "Penguin, Our Hero"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotham #5.3 "Penguin, Our Hero"

Talk about the January 17 episode of Gotham here!

I just want to say thank to you KSiteTV for re-opening the sub-forum and this thread. It's too bad some posts were lost in the server crash, but: It happens.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought tonight's episode ran unusually slow. Not much happened, but at least they confirmed:
    • Penguin didn't leave the graffiti at the StreetDemonz base (which means it has to be The Riddler personality)
    • That Ecco is in fact Harley Quinn! It was kind of obvious last season, but I thought they were done with her once Jerome was dead. What a turn around she has made! Definitely the highlight of the episode for me, especially the, "Oh, Puddin'!

I didn't expect the complex to blow at the end. Probably Jeremiah's minions infiltrating Haven.

I'm interested to see what the fallout will look like next week.

A slow, but good episode, though. What did everybody else think?

Comment

That server crash sucks. Gotham has probably been the most discussed show on the boards this season and so much comments were lost. Anyway, this wasn't so much a standalone episode, because it seems to be setting up next week's confrontation between Jeremiah and Selina/Bruce and Jim seeking justice on whoever destroyed Haven. And on that end, I thought it did a pretty good job as part 1.

We basically had 2 storylines running at the same time. The Haven storyline dragged a bit, IMO. The reason is that the dynamic between Jim and Oswald has shifted so many times over these past 5 years, that it's gotten tiresome. And you just knew that eventually they would work together again. So, for me anyway, there wasn't a lot of intrigue in this arc. That said, like I've said in the past, the parts where Jim is portrayed as the beacon of hope of the city always work for me.

Unfortunately, this storyline would end with a gut punch for the audience. I feel really bad for Gordon because he does his best to save citizens and galvanize them, only for someone to blow them up in the end. Just to showcase that on his own, Jim is fighting a losing battle no matter how hard he tries (making the need for Batman all that more evident). As for who bombed Haven? My guess would also be Jeremiah. Out of all the villains and gangs in the city, he's probably the only one cutthroat enough to pull this. Just look at what he was doing with his disciples.

The other storyline I liked better. We got to see Bruce in action again and we observed the new Selina begin to unravel. Plus, Ecco did officially become this show's Harley Quinn and a pretty fun one at that. They are probably not allowed to use Harley Quinn by name for obvious reasons, so this is as close as we are going to get. Only negative was that Jeremiah didn't show up here, even though the promos for this episode suggested that he would.

No Nygma this week and I can't say that I missed him. Edward the dog on the other hand, I love to see on the show. He's so cute, even when his loyalty flip flops.

Harvey took his sweet old time to go get Barbara and bring her to Haven, didn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
        The Haven storyline dragged a bit, IMO. The reason is that the dynamic between Jim and Oswald has shifted so many times over these past 5 years, that it's gotten tiresome.
        I agree. Then again, the writers keeping doing it (and will probably keep doing it until the very end)

the parts where Jim is portrayed as the beacon of hope of the city always work for me.
        Given the situation the city is in, the speeches work, but: How many times do the citizens need to be reassured that he's on the right side? It's becoming stale.

As for who bombed Haven? My guess would also be Jeremiah. Out of all the villains and gangs in the city, he's probably the only one cutthroat enough to pull this. Just look at what he was doing with his disciples.
        And Harley Quinn scoping out their setup makes sense now.

The other storyline I liked better. We got to see Bruce in action again and we observed the new Selina begin to unravel.
        I agree. The fight scenes were well-choreographed, too.

Ecco did officially become this show's Harley Quinn and a pretty fun one at that. They are probably not allowed to use Harley Quinn by name for obvious reasons, so this is as close as we are going to get.
        Yeah. I also liked the fact that the actress didn't do the trademark voice from TAS/video games. It might come off as too corny. Then again, a bullet to the head could explain it. Whatever her relationship is with Jeremiah, I hope it's NOT abusive (like it became on TAS).

No Nygma this week and I can't say that I missed him.
        I totally agree.

Edward the dog on the other hand, I love to see on the show. He's so cute, even when his loyalty flip flops.
        I agree. Can't wait to see what Nygma has to say about that!

Harvey took his sweet old time to go get Barbara and bring her to Haven, didn't he?
        Right? Hopefully, her revenge plot will be put on the backburner while they all recover from the fallout of the bomb...

Comment

Originally posted by Aries83
          Given the situation the city is in, the speeches work, but: How many times do the citizens need to be reassured that he's on the right side? It's becoming stale.
          I can see why they are sceptical, given the state of their supplies. What I'm worried about is that they might turn on Gordon when they find out that he lied about the government wanting to help them out. That's where the story will become repetitive again.

And Harley Quinn scoping out their setup makes sense now.
          Good catch. I had forgotten about that. If Jeremiah knew about Haven before Gordon did, it's possible he set up explosives there, anticipating that there would come a day when Gordon would move civilians to the complex.

Yeah. I also liked the fact that the actress didn't do the trademark voice from TAS/video games. It might come off as too corny. Then again, a bullet to the head could explain it. Whatever her relationship is with Jeremiah, I hope it's NOT abusive (like it became on TAS).
          True, she gave her own spin on the character, quiet different from the comics' version or Margot Robbie's. And it's for the best, otherwise she would have come across as a ripoff.

I'm guessing her relationship with Jeremiah was pretty cordial (which is why they made the point of saying that it was Jerome's bullet that caused her wires to get scrambled - nothing that Jeremiah did). I've noticed that Gotham features plenty of gore and violence, but never man to woman abuse of any kind. Which is definitely for the best.

I agree. Can't wait to see what Nygma has to say about that!
          LOL, me too! According to one of the promos, he's supposed to meet Penguin and seek answers in one of the upcoming episodes. Episode 5.05 probably.

Right? Hopefully, her revenge plot will be put on the backburner while they all recover from the fallout of the bomb...

Yeah, as a storyline it's really worn out now! There's always someone looking to kill Penguin over something, only for Jim to come to his rescue. For what it's worth, I liked the dialogue between Harvey and Barbara, where they were reminiscing about season 1 and how Jim has changed their lives since then.

Comment

What I'm worried about is that they might turn on Gordon when they find out that he lied about the government wanting to help them out. That's where the story will become repetitive again.
            Well, if only a handful survive the blast, maybe it's better that a majority of them died...

If Jeremiah knew about Haven before Gordon did, it's possible he set up explosives there, anticipating that there would come a day when Gordon would move civilians to the complex.
            Another theory I have is that it's the boy, Will Thomas (the one Gordon gave his shield to). He could've joined Jeremiah's group and been sent to infiltrate, although I guess it would be hard to believe a boy so young would know how to pull of such an explosion. Of course, if more of his people infiltrated, that would make more sense.

I'm guessing her relationship with Jeremiah was pretty cordial (which is why they made the point of saying that it was Jerome's bullet that caused her wires to get scrambled - nothing that Jeremiah did). I've noticed that Gotham features plenty of gore and violence, but never man to woman abuse of any kind. Which is definitely for the best.
            I agree. I never noticed how abusive Joker was to her when I watched TAS as a teenager, but after rewatching some episodes a few years ago, the way he treated her towards the end of that incarnation was cringe-worthy. I know it only got worse in the comics, but I never read them regularly. I'd hate to seem even hint at that side of their relationship, though.

According to one of the promos, he's supposed to meet Penguin and seek answers in one of the upcoming episodes. Episode 5.05 probably.
            Answers can't come soon enough. The arc is unwatchable.

For what it's worth, I liked the dialogue between Harvey and Barbara, where they were reminiscing about season 1 and how Jim has changed their lives since then.
            I love continuity...

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎