No announcement yet.

Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019)

Rewatching the trailer for the first time, since watching Endgame. It really changes things (I'm actually more interested in watching this movie).

[SPOILER]Don't think they ever established if Happy and May had been dusted. If they weren't, then the romance that the trailers teases probably happened in between 2018 and 2023. May's moved on, from her late husband, and been dating for a while. Now her nephew is back, having missed the last five years and has to adjust to it. He's got to adjust to everything. Probably feels disconnected to a lot of things. His only connection are his friends, the ones who were also dusted (the others are suddenly five years older and in college, if not working).[/SPOILER]

Comment

Comment

Came across a fan theory on Michelle "MJ" Jones and decided to talk about it. The theory is that she's Nick Fury's daughter. Apparently, the motivation for this is that the sketch of her, in the end credits, wears an eyepatch for a brief moment (though, not the same eye as Fury).

Of course, a few seconds later, she's wearing a Spider-Man mask (with lines indicating a spider sense). So, would that then mean that she's both Nick Fury's daughter AND Spider-Woman? That might be a bit too much.

Looking at the comics, Fury's got a kid named Marcus Johnson (same initials as Michelle Jones). A child that he had with Nia Jones (same last name as Michelle).

Not sure what to think of this theory. Though, it would be funny to see the reaction of the people, who've been believing Michelle to be Mary Jane Watson, simply because of her initials (meaning Michelle is also Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, Michael J. Fox and so on). And I could see the story potential. An opportunity to flesh out Nick Fury even more. He's not just there to help Spider-Man, but he's also dealing with his (possibly) estranged daughter. For whom he was never around. Not to mention, it would give the Peter-Nick Fury relationship a different dynamic than Peter and Tony. Fury wouldn't be a surrogate father, but the dad of Peter's would-be-girlfriend (Fury: "If he touches my daughter, I'll kill him on principle").

However, the "evidence" is too circumstantial. Okay, so she wears an eyepatch in the end credits. It's not the same eye as on Fury. Michelle has the same initials as Fury's kid in the comics. Like I showed above, lots of people have the initials "MJ".

Not to mention, the end credits also shows Michelle in a Spider-Man mask, so one could also argue that she'll end up becoming Spider-Woman (I don't see them doing both Nick Fury's daughter and Spider-Woman as the same person). In fact, looking at past MCU movies:

Iron Man: Rhodey is introduced as Tony Stark's friend. Pepper Potts as Tony's love interest.

Iron Man 2: Rhodey becomes War Machine.

Iron Man 3: Pepper briefly dons the Iron Man armor, [SPOILER]a tease for Endgame, where she becomes Rescue.[/SPOILER]

Captain America: The First Avenger: Bucky is introduced as Steve's best friend.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: Bucky is now the Winter Soldier.

Ant-Man: Hope Pym is introduced as an ally and potential love interest to Scott Lang. A mid-credit scene teases her becoming Wasp.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Hope becomes the Wasp.

Captain Marvel: Monica Rambeau is introduced as the daughter of Carol's best friend. She'll presumably become Photon in Captain Marvel 2.

Had they done an The Incredible Hulk 2, Betty might've become She-Hulk (like she did, in the comics, in 2009). So, there is a recurring theme in MCU movies of a supporting character from the first movie, becoming a superhero (or villain), in the second movie of a trilogy. With Spider-Man, the two main spin-off characters are Spider-Woman and Scarlet Spider. Scarlet Spider is an identity shared by Ben Reilly and Kaine (both clones of Peter Parker; meaning either would be played by Tom Holland). Spider-Woman is also a shared identity, but there have been a much larger number of people who've used it (and, apart from Ultimate Spider-Woman, none have been clones of Peter Parker; so, Holland wouldn't have to play two roles). So, Spider-Woman would be the more logical choice.

I'm not saying that Michelle will become Spider-Woman. But, if her wearing an eyepatch for a brief second in the end credits is seen as a hint that she's Nick Fury's daughter. Then one also have to discuss the possible implications of her wearing a Spider-Man mask, a few seconds later. With lines indicating a spider sense. Which could tie into her refusal to enter the Washington Monument. She felt an increasing presence of danger, the closer she got, but decided to avoid the danger (rather than going inside and potentially face it) or stay outside and keep her eyes open (only, when something happened, Spider-Man showed up; ensuring that Michelle wouldn't have to act, but could leave it to him).

Though, I'd see more story potential with the Spider-Woman scenario, than the Nick Fury's daughter scenario. The latter would feel like something of a repeat of the Liz-Vulture reveal from the last one. It'd also turn Michelle into largely a plot device for tension/conflict between two men (her dad and the boy who wants to date her). She wouldn't have her own story (one that would tie into the superhero part of the movie). With the Spider-Woman scenario, she'd have her own story arc. Either acquire spider powers or it's revealed that she already have them (having been bitten by the same spider as Peter, or something). Then develop until she dons a suit and helps Peter in the climax. It would also further Peter's development. In Homecoming, he was Tony's protege. Tony was the mentor. In this type of scenario, Peter would now have to step up and become a mentor to Michelle. Teaching her that with great powers comes great responsibility. Which is something we have never seen before in a Spider-Man movie.
        Last edited by jon-el87; 05-31-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Looking at some of the more recent promo material, we can probably discard the idea of Michelle "MJ" Jones becoming Spider-Woman.

[SPOILER]A clip shows her and Spider-Man (in his new black and red suit), with them in New York, with her holding onto him as he webswings. The suit and them being in New York makes it seem like the scene is set, at the end of the movie.

I mean, if she becomes Spider-Woman (while in Europe), why would he carry her? Unless he was trying to teach her how to webswing (and something went wrong), but then you'd kinda expect her to wear a disguise (to shield her identity), not to mention webshooters.* Of course, I have no idea what they're supposed to be doing in that scene. Is he saving her from something or were they (Peter and MJ) simply trying to have him carry her, while webswinging? Looking at the scene, she didn't like it. So, would the scene just be there, to draw attention to how unpleasant it'd be to be carried by someone webswinging? Seems like a waste of screentime.

* Of course, they could digitally insert webshooters, for the final film (having not had her wear them (during filming), to keep the plot development secret). After all, the main Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew) doesn't use webs (nor does a few of the others). So, the scene could be them back in New York, him trying to teach her to webswing, it ends in disaster (with MJ announcing that she won't do webs, despite being Spider-Woman; opting to jump and glide between buildings).
          [/SPOILER]
          Last edited by jon-el87; 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

I have 2 issues with this movie. One is its timing. It's just too close to Endgame and IMO the audience needed more time and distance after everything that happened.

The second issue is that at the midway point it loses its way a bit and never quite recovers. I didn't mind [SPOILER]Mysterio being evil after all. I just didn't like how they Mandarin-ed the whole thing. It made me lose a lot of interest in Mysterio.. [/SPOILER]

What really drives the movie is the Peter/MJ stuff. So in that sense, it's a cute movie. Just not too interesting.

It was a wise decision to include Fury and Hill in this movie to deal with the Endgame aftermath. But even so, it's post-credits scene that truly kicks their story into gear.

Speaking of, the mid-credits scene is a key moment in the future of the MCU, I feel. It takes Peter story in a different direction. And THAT cameo was glorious!

Comment

Spiderman Far From Home movie is been fascinating the people from all around the world. To be honest, it is a big entertainer over homecoming. Engaging screenplay is making the audience stick to the seat till the end of the movie.

Comment

I thought that this was a decent sequel; not as good as Homecoming but, decent nonetheless. It was do to the pacing. They could have done less “European Vacation” and more teen angst.

Originally posted by costas22
                It was a wise decision to include Fury and Hill in this movie to deal with the Endgame aftermath. But even so, it's post-credits scene that truly kicks their story into gear.
                Throughout the entire movie I thought something was off about Fury and Hill. I just thought it was because this was a Sony vs Marvel production; so maybe they had to tweak their personalities slightly. Than the post-credit reveal cleared things up.

Originally posted by costas22
                Speaking of, the mid-credits scene is a key moment in the future of the MCU, I feel. It takes Peter story in a different direction. And THAT cameo was glorious!
                [SPOILER] I don’t know if they’re going to skim over the fact that his secret identity was revealed because the next installment won’t be for another 3yrs. and they can simply use a skrull as a Spider-Man stand-in while the real Peter Parker is there side by side with him (it’s worked for Superman and the Martian Manhunter for DC; why not in the MCU). If they go by real-time or they have a time-lapse, whatever the case, he’ll be in college or even grad school. Unless he’s a character that gets weaved through the next MCU films and they address it in that way; secret identities haven’t been an issue for the MCU. Spider-Man is the only real character that’s had to keep his secret identity a secret.

Anyway...

I think there was always this general consensus (no matter the universe) that there could only be one person with the gravitas to play J. Johan Jameson; simply put it has always been:J.K. Simmons. Glad to have him back. They’ve at least improved/updated his look. That love/hate relationship he’s had with Jameson will be there . The way they’ll utilize J.K. will be much like the cameo; Jameson calling Peter a menace and what not during news feeds.

Which is why it appears that they’ll be taking a cue from the animated series (especially after where the real Fury was revealed to be) Peter Parker will continue his Avengers training and he’ll have company.... it’s time for a small team up film a la The Ultimate Spider-Man; focus on a mission with another hero or 2 in training.
                [/SPOILER]

Comment

Thought they made Mysterio work. Though, [SPOILER]I could've done without the scene at the pub, where he began to spell out his plans and who he and the others were (seems like everyone in the room would already know everything).[/SPOILER]

Thought Peter and MJ worked as a couple. I could see him liking her and vice versa (unlike with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst; why he liked that MJ I'll never know. Of course, it didn't help that Tobey kept coming across like a stalker).

I liked [SPOILER]Spider-Man's identity being exposed. However, my main concern is that the MCU won't live up to the potential of this development. Will the whole thing just be brushed aside, at the start of the third Spider-Man movie? Or just be resolved, during the movie, with everything returning to the status quo? The return to the status quo is what really worries me, because I like what the identity reveal, and framing could force Peter into doing. Going underground and assume a new identity (ex. Ben Reilly, as a minor nod to the comics... without having to do clones), maybe even a new superhero persona (like he did in Identity Crisis), that he could appear as in upcoming MCU movies and then his own third installment (I assume, that he could appear in a fifth Avengers movie, before a third Spider-Man movie). Even if he's able to become Spider-Man again, Peter Parker should have to remain dead (with Peter now living as Ben Reilly), with the public believing that it's a different guy behind the mask now. Sadly, everything is bound to return to the status quo: Peter returns to his normal life and maintains a secret identity (like nothing had happened).[/SPOILER]

Comment

From CBR:

Marvel Studios will not produce any future Spider-Man films due to a standoff between The Walt Disney Company and Sony Pictures.

According to Deadline, the decision stems from "an inability by Disney and Sony Pictures to reach new terms that would have given the former a co-financing stake going forward." As for the next two currently planned Spider-Man films, both Homecoming and Far From Home director Jon Watts, as well as actor Tom Holland are expected to return. However, Marvel's involvement in the project is doubtful, as Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has been "essentially nixed" by Sony.
                    According to Variety, a deal could still be reached. Though, personally, I'd be okay if they didn't. Like I noted before Homecoming came out, I had no interest in a sixth Spider-Man movie. My main motivation for watching Homecoming and Far From Home was the MCU connection. It also annoyed me that they pushed back Black Panther and Captain Marvel to do yet another Spider-Man movie. So, to me, no more Spider-Man in the MCU is a positive. They [Marvel Studios] can now focus on doing new things, rather than the same old character. The mid-credits scene in Far From Home works as a conclusion to Spider-Man. Just drop a line in a future Avengers movie (or something) about the kid who had his identity exposed and framed for crimes. Forcing him and his family to assume new identities. And, because of the crimes that he's been framed for, he is too radioactive for them to call upon for help (might not even have his number anymore; as his whereabouts isn't told to every other hero in the MCU) anyway. He can't be part of the Avengers, because the authorities would want to arrest and charge him for murder and terrorism.

Comment

I saw 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' on the screen, last Saturday. It was a good movie. Mysterio is a good villain, even though he spend the first half of the movie pretending to be a hero. Spider-Man is in trouble because J Jonah Jameson reveal who he is. It's a pity that we won't see Spider-Man in the MCU anymore. I would like to know how he solve this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by mbozzo
                        I saw 'Spider-Man: Far From Home' on the screen, last Saturday. It was a good movie. Mysterio is a good villain, even though he spend the first half of the movie pretending to be a hero. Spider-Man is in trouble because J Jonah Jameson reveal who he is. It's a pity that we won't see Spider-Man in the MCU anymore. I would like to know how he solve this problem.
                        I did the same thing. I rented it online once it was out, and overrall I enjoyed the movie.

But yes, that extra scene at the post-credits ending was something of a total downer because we don't even know if Spiderman is gonna solve that problem or if he's just going to be disgraced forever in the MCU. It's just a shame that the directors didn't foresee the Sony/Disney disptue happening, otherwise they would've gone with something else instead of that cliffhanger.

Otherwise, that whole movie would've been better off without that extra scene. The story already tied up itself neatly.... it would've been good to leave it like that without the post-credit ending.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎