Runner

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner

Chapter 1
    There is nothing that attracts the attention of the police more, than when one of their own is killed. Detective Frank Curtis had gone off duty as usual the night before. Less than 12 hours later, his body was found in an alley. The strange thing about the whole thing wasn’t the killing of a cop, but how it appeared to have happened. According to the coroner’s report, the body of Frank Curtis had been mauled. Based on the evidence, it appeared that Curtis had been attacked and mauled by a bear…in the middle of the city. Investigating officers were puzzled how a bear could’ve turned up in the middle of the city.
    A circus had passed through two months earlier but hadn’t reported any animals missing. The investigating officers checked with the circus, but they denied having lost a bear. If Curtis really had been mauled by a bear, where had the bear gone? The police couldn’t find one near where Curtis had been killed. Nor had anyone seen a bear in the area. A bear can’t just magically appear, kill a cop, then vanish again into thin air. The investigating officers couldn’t make sense of the matter. Had someone brought in a bear to kill cops? Surely, there are easier ways to kill cops, than transporting a wild animal into town? The only explanation was that it had been an accident. Even if it still left them with a phantom bear.

Chapter 2
    “I’d like to see Clark Kent, please.” The man told the receptionist at the Daily Planet. The receptionist looked up at the man from behind her desk. The man was about six feet tall, short blond hair. Dressed in a well-worn, brown leatherjacket over a red T-shirt and sporting sunglasses.
    “Do you have an appointment?” The receptionist asked.
    “No, but it’s urgent that I speak to him.”
    “Sorry, not without an appointment…” The man sighed and took out a badge, which changed the attitude of the receptionist. “Eight-floor…” The receptionist said and pointed the man over to the elevators. He stepped inside and pressed the button for eight. Coming up the door of Clark Kent’s office, he briefly had second thought, before knocking on the door and put his sunglasses in his pocket. Clark Kent opened and asked: “Can I help you?”
    “Um, yes…” The man felt his pulse racing, “Are you Clark Kent?”
    “Yes.” Clark replied.
    “I’m with the police…well, the Central City Police Department. I was wondering if you could get me in touch with someone…”
    “Sorry, I don’t have a phone number for Superman.”
    “Oh, it’s not him I wanna get in touch with. You went to school with a Chloe Sullivan, right?”
    “Yes.”
    “You wouldn’t happen to have an address for her? It’s about an article she wrote in high school.”
    “I’m sorry, she moved to Singapore after her divorce. Perhaps I could get you her phone number…what’s this about?” The question made the man uneasy.
    “A friend of mine was killed three days ago, in Central City. I think there might be some connection between it and a story she wrote about little over ten years ago, in 2002.”
    “Well, if it was ten years ago, I’m not sure she’ll remember it...um.” Clark paused. “What did you say your name was?”
    “Barry Allen.” The mention of that name made Clark raise his eyebrows for a second. “Perhaps you’d like to come in for a minute?” Barry stepped into Clark’s office and had a seat. Clark nervously sat down on the other side of the desk and adjusted his glasses. “So, you think the murder of your friend… um…?”
    “Frank Curtis.”
    “Frank Curtis is connected to an article Chloe wrote about for the Torch…?”
    “Yes. When I checked out Frank’s apartment, I found a name in his notebook: Erik Razar.”
    “Razar…? That name sounds familiar…”
    “No doubt.” Barry handed Clark a folder he had with him. “You went to school with him. Until he was committed to Belle Reve in 2002, escaped three years later, never to be heard from again…until now.”
    “Yes, I remember that.”
    “Right before that, another student at your school, Erica Fox, was attacked and killed by a wolf. Your friend Chloe seemed to believe that Erik Razar had transformed into a wolf and killed Fox. Not so crazy these days.”
    “No. Was Frank Curtis also killed by a wolf?”
    “Bear, but I’m open to the possibility that Razar can turn himself into more than just one type of animal.”
    “What do your superiors think?”
    “They’re ready to write Frank’s death as an accident, but then where’s the bear?”
    “I see… Look I’ve got a meeting, but I’ll make sure that Chloe gets your message. I’m sure she’ll be in touch, if she can help you.” Clark got up and led Barry Allen out of the office, before closing the door between them. Barry was sure he had hit a dead-end. Clark, no doubt, thought he was crazy with his idea of the death of Frank being connected to Erik Razar and the death of Erica Fox.

Comment

Chapter 3
      “He said his name was ‘Barry Allen’?” Jay Garrick asked, as he and Clark sat down outside the Metro Coffee Stop, each having a coffee.
      “Yes, said he was suspecting that a death in Central City was connected to a meteor infected I dealt with in high school. Erik Razar.”
      “What was the deal with Razar?”
      “He got meteor infected back in 2002. Got the ability to turn himself into animals. Killed another student, Erica Fox. I apprehended him and left him for the police. Got sent to Belle Reve, until he vanished. I thought Lex had taken him to his 33,1 project. Hadn’t thought about him, until Barry Allen showed up at my office. I reacted to the name. Bart...” Clark paused. “Used it, when we first met. Together with yours…”
      “I know.”
      “Wasn’t sure what to do. I mean, sure people can have the same name, but this guy even looked a bit like Bart.”
      “Did you check up on him?”
      “Yes, Barry’s a forensic scientist for the Central City Police Department. Worked there for nearly three years. Spotless record. However, there was an incident last year.”
      “Which was…?”
      “Fishermen pulled him out of the Missouri River. Was in a coma for two weeks. It was the same day that Bart died. What’s more, the same day a strange lightning storm was reported that day in Central City. In a residential area called Danville…which just happens to be where a certain Mr. Allen lives.”
      “The Black Flash was trying to ignite another speedster…”
      “Perhaps it succeeded. Checking with the local newspapers, there’s been strange instances ever since. Unexplained saves.”
      “So, what are you planning?”
      “If Barry’s right, a very dangerous man is running around Central City. Should probably also have a closer look into Allen too…Though, I’m not crazy about invading his personal life.”

Comment

Chapter 4
        The next morning Clark was waiting outside of Barry Allen’s apartment building. A three-floor rectangular structure in red brick. Not wanting Barry to be able to recognize him, Clark had donned sunglasses and a baseball cap, together with his old red jacket. He hid behind a nearby tree, when Barry came out and walked to a coffee shop a few blocks away. He bought himself a coffee and read a newspaper for close to a half-hour. Then Barry got a cab and went to the scene of Frank Curtis’ death. Perhaps Clark had been mistaken? Why would someone with super speed bother getting a cab?
        Clark kept his distance, while Barry re-examined the scene of the crime, looking for new clues and coming up empty. A fact that clearly angered Barry, who hit his fist into a wall and walked off. Clark kept following him, unsure if he should. Perhaps Barry didn’t have any powers, but that didn’t change the fact that Erik Razar might be in town. Razar was dangerous. If Barry was right about Frank Curtis, then Razar had already killed two people and tried to kill Chloe. Barry went down a street for about fifteen minutes, when both Barry and Clark heard a baby screaming. They looked up and saw a small child hanging out of a fourth-floor window, holding on for dear life. Clark got ready to fly up and grab the kid, when the kid suddenly vanished before his very eyes. Using his x-ray vision and super hearing, he could tell that the baby was back inside the fourth-floor apartment. Much to the joy of his babysitter, who had taken her eyes off the baby for a second.
        Clark looked back down, but there was no sign of Barry. He was gone. Clark flew around the neighborhood at super speed but couldn’t find him. Almost two hours later, Clark found Barry again, coming out of the Central City Police Department headquarters. Clark continued his surveillance of him. Clark was ready to give up, when a teenage boy on a bike rode out into traffic. Right in front of a speeding car. Clark began moving towards the biker, at super speed, when he saw it. Barry, moving at super speed – faster than Clark – grabbing both the boy and the bike, dragging them out of harm’s way, before taking off. Clark had been right.

Comment

Chapter 5
          Clark was rather anxious, when he stood outside of the door of Barry’s apartment. He had invaded Barry’s privacy. Hadn’t been the first time, but previous times had been due to childish foolishness. He hadn’t wanted others looking into his secrets, then he had investigated other people’s. What was he going to tell Barry? “Hi, I know you have super powers and know the person you’re after. Wanna team-up?” Who’d say something like that? Was he going to talk to Barry about Bart? No, that might cause more problems. After all, he had met a Bartholomew Allen in the 31st century. If Jay’s theory was right, that may have been Bart. Meaning that this Bartholomew ‘Barry’ Allen could be an ancestor of him. They sure looked like relatives. Barry was just taller and more build.
          No, Clark was just here to offer his help with the Razar business. He knocked on the door. Barry opened after almost a minute. “Can I help you?” He asked. Clark took off his baseball cap and sunglasses, showing Barry his face. Barry was astonished.
          “You’re…” Barry said.
          “Mind if I come in?” Barry showed Clark into his three-room apartment. They walked into his living room, where Clark noticed a photo of a red-headed woman. Young, beautiful.
          “That’s Daphne…my girlfriend…well, not anymore.”
          “I’m sorry to hear that.”
          “Why are you here?”
          “Yesterday, you visited Clark Kent in Metropolis. He passed on your problem to Chloe Sullivan, who is the ex-wife of Oliver Queen.”
          “The Green Arrow…”
          “Who passed it onto me. I’ve dealt with Razar in the past.”
          “Explains why he was found in what was described as a ‘hand-made steel cage’…”
          “I had to contain him somehow. Thankfully, he appeared to not be able to turn into an insect. What can you tell me about the murder of your friend?” Barry grabbed a file he had made on the case and handed it to Clark.
          “Still have no idea what Frank was doing there. He must’ve been onto something, concerning Erik Razar. My guess is, Razar confronted and killed him. Sadly, the only link to Razar is the mention in Frank’s notebook. If I’d take the theory that Frank was killed by a changeling, they’ll probably think I was crazy.”
          “Even these days?” Clark asked and smiled.
          “Just because we have superheroes, with a base on the moon, doesn’t change the fact that the guy in a mental hospital…who claims he’s Napoleon, is likely just crazy. Not Napoleon sent through time.”
          “True. A friend of mine had to deal with one of those recently… What did you find at the crime scene?”
          “Extremely little. Been back, I know not how many times.” Barry paused. “Perhaps you would have a better chance, with your…abilities…”
          “It’s worth a shot. Shall we run there?”
          “Excuse me…?” Barry asked confused.
          “I know about your powers…saw you saving a kid on a bike, earlier today. How long have you had them?”
          “About a year. Still can’t fully explain it. One second, I’m struck by lightning…the next I’m running through town at supersonic speed…then I woke up in a hospital bed. At first, I thought it had all been a dream. This past year has been rather strange.”

Comment

Chapter 6
            Clark couldn’t help but feel nostalgic, during the run from Barry’s apartment to the alley. For a moment, it felt like he was back there, eight years ago, while he was running next to Barry Allen. He could still remember how he had tried to catch Bart, to try and convince him to stay in Smallville. Clark and Barry both came to a stop, when they arrived at the alley. Clark began examining it with x-ray vision and microscopic vision.

“By the way…” Clark asked, while searching. “Why did you take a cab, earlier today?”
            “Trying to keep a low profile. Maybe someone will ask questions of how I showed up somewhere…”
            “Trust me, that doesn’t happen very often.”
            “Guess you have much experience in that area…?”
            “A little.” Clark paused. “Found something…”
            “What?”
            “There’s writing on the ground, in blood. Someone’s gone to a lot of trouble to try and cover it up.”
            “What does it say?”
            “Law…”
            “Anything else?”
            “No, just ‘law’.” Barry sighed out of disappointment. All that for three little letters.
            “Barry…” Clark tried to put his hand on Barry’s shoulder, but Barry ran off at super speed, before he could touch him. He knew that he wouldn’t be fast enough to catch up with him. Clark was unsure about his next step. He couldn’t go around Central City and hope to be able to pick Erik Razar out of the crowd. There were around 750 thousand people living in this city. Besides, he hadn’t seen Razar since sophomore year. Would Clark be able to recognize him? Heck, people Clark went to school with didn’t recognize him as Superman – of course, his hair was browner in those days. Razar would probably not still be that thin kid with long black hair. Having been on the run for seven years, Razar had probably altered his appearance. Clark would be looking for a needle in a massive haystack, without knowing what the needle looks like.

Comment

Chapter 7
              Defeated, Clark headed back home to Metropolis. There was nothing he could do in Central City, at this time. He flew straight home to 2318 Main Street and made himself some coffee. The last 24 hours had been quite interesting. First a speedster named Barry Allen shows up at his office – still wasn’t sure if he should tell Barry about Bart. Then Barry tells him that one of the guys Clark put away in high school was back. Thinking about Erik Razar made Clark flashback to 2002. He could see Erica Fox’s bloody body in front of his eyes. Right there in the woods. Her green dress ripped to pieces. All the blood had caused it to change color. The canine teeth marks on her face. He could barely recognize it as her. Clark remembered thinking what kind of monster could do this?
              Two days later, Clark had learned that it had been Erik Razar, right before he tried to kill Chloe. Why had he killed Erica Fox and tried to kill Chloe? They had both said ‘no’ to him. That was it. Some girls had said ‘no’ to him and he felt that they deserved to die for it. If only Clark had been able to stop him, before Razar had killed Erica. More disturbingly, Clark began to imagine how many people Razar might’ve hurt, during his seven years on the run. People like Frank Curtis.
              At least now Clark had another chance to lock him up. If only Frank had written something else, with his dying breath. ‘Law’. ‘Law’ what? Law and order? Was it referring to a name? Law…rence? Lawrence Garner? No, Dr. Garner passed away eight years ago. Of course, it wouldn’t be the first time someone had come back from the dead. Nor would it be the first time that someone’s death was faked. Clark took to the computer and searched for the name ‘Lawrence’ in Central City. There were 26 people with the last name ‘Lawrence’, 176 people having it as their first name. Perhaps Razar was living under the name in Central City.
              “Of course!” Clark realized. It could also refer to a place. He made a search for locations in Central City with the name ‘Lawrence’ and came up with Lawrence Hills, an industrial area. Might be where Razar works. Clark got up from his chair and quickly changed into his Superman suit. However, as he flew away to Central City, he suddenly turned around and flew back to Metropolis. He had to get something first.

Comment

Chapter 8
                Barry Allen hadn’t stopped until he had reached Uruguay. After a while, he had headed back to Central City and continued his investigation. Just like Clark, Barry realized that ‘Law’ referred to Lawrence Hills and headed to the industrial area. Lawrence Hills was full of factories and dirty. Going by an old photo of Razar from high school, Barry began searching Lawrence Hills. Systematically running through each of the factories, at super speed, looking for a 25-year-old male, who resembled the photo.
                When he had gotten to the last two factories, suddenly Superman flew in and stopped him. With both moving at super speed, Superman signaled for Barry to meet him behind one of the factories. Barry complied and went there.
                “Have you found him yet?” Superman asked.
                “No, but I’m down to the last two factories.” Barry replied.
                “What are you going to do, when you find him?”
                “I…I don’t know.”
                “I understand you might be angry at him but killing him isn’t the answer.”
                “I wasn’t planning to.”
                “Good.” Superman took out a golden ring and handed it to Barry. “Here. Wear this.”
                “What is this?” Barry put the ring on his hand. It had a thick bezel, with a circle in it.
                “A device built by the good people at STAR Labs. It’s a prototype. Press your finger against the circle in it. Now, turn it left, then turn it right and back again.” Barry followed his instructions. Suddenly, a strange metallic red liquid emerged from it and covered Barry’s body. Disoriented, Barry looked around, until he found a reflective surface. The suit covered his whole body, only leaving the mouth and nose exposed.
                “What is this?”
                “A nanite suit. It was developed as an alternative for our usual suits. Pretty difficult to carry these things around, under street clothes.”
                “How did it all fit into the ring?”
                “All thanks to Dr. Palmer. Figured you needed something to conceal your identity, when we’re confronting Razar. Trust me, you don’t want criminals knowing your identity.”
                “Speaking from experience?”
                “Yes. In my case, I was lucky. Many of them had their memories erased by a bad man.”
                “So, what’s the plan?”
                “We’ll let them know we’re here.” Superman super sped to the front of the two factories, Barry followed suit. It was closing time, so the workers at both factories came out. Seeing Superman there, nearly everyone came forward to say hello. However, when you’re looking for someone, it’s not the people who approach you that are important. It’s the ones, who tries to sneak away. Both Barry and Superman spotted him. A balding, overweight man in blue overalls. Trying to sneak away, unnoticed. Unfortunately for him, he was noticed. Barry grabbed him at super speed and ran three blocks, before pressing him against a wall.
                “Erik Razar?!” Barry asked. The man didn’t answer, instead a green glow emerged from his body. The shape of a man morphed into an anaconda, which wrapped its body around Barry. Putting pressure around his neck, until Barry let go of it.
                “Razar!” Screamed Superman. The anaconda let go of Barry, right before he was going to pass out. The anaconda morphed into a rhino. While still engulfed in the green glow, it rammed into Superman and knocked him through three factories. Superman had forgotten about that. When Razar shapeshifts, his body briefly emits Kryptonite radiation.
                Razar morphed once more, into a cheetah and made a run for it. Superman flew back and helped Barry to his feet.
                “Are you alright?” Superman asked.
                “Fine. We can’t let him get away…”
                “We have to work together. Use your speed to distract him and keep him in one place.” Barry nodded and ran after Razar. Barry knew what Superman was planning. He caught up with Razar and began running around him. Razar tried to turn into an eagle and fly away, but Barry managed to hit him at super speed. Sending Razar flying down the street. Razar morphed again into a tiger and tried to jump Barry, but Barry super sped out of the way and got behind him. Every time Razar tried to attack, Barry just moved out of the way. He was too fast for Razar to catch. With super speed, only an idiot would stand still and let the villain get in punches.
                Suddenly, the chase was over. An I-beam slammed into the ground, right in front of Razar. Before he had a chance to react, eight more slammed into the ground around him. A red-blue blur flew around the circles of I-beams. In less than a second, countless steel pipes were welded together between the I-beams. Forming a cage, with only small holes in it. Enough to Razar to breathe, but not big enough for him to escape through.
                Within minutes, police arrived at the scene and took Razar into custody. It was back behind bars for Erik Razar. Frank Curtis had encountered him a week earlier. Having a feeling in his gut, Frank had done some digging and discovered that he was Erik Razar, an escaped convict. During his investigation, Razar had discovered Frank Curtis and murdered him.

Comment

Chapter 9
                  “The Flash?!” Jay Garrick proclaimed, as he was sitting in his house in Utah, reading a newspaper about the incident the day before. When escaped convict Erik Razar was apprehended by Superman and a mysterious superhero, whom Superman identified as ‘the Flash’.
                  “I didn’t know what to call him, while I was talking to the police.” Superman said, as he sat down. “Calling him ‘Impulse’ felt inappropriate. Besides, do you even call yourself ‘the Flash’ anymore?”
                  “Good point, kid. How are you going to go from here? Will you tell him about Bart?”
                  “I instructed Tess to seal all files on Bart. It hurt me to have to do so, but based on the evidence, we might be dealing with a pre-destination paradox. If Bart really was a descendent of Barry, then Bart has to travel back in time, to confront the Black Flash. Ensuring that Barry gets his speed, so that his descendent can become Bart.”
                  “I know. I don’t like it either. But, from now on, we mustn’t talk about Bart.”
                  “To be on the safe side, we made a false name, in case Barry ever wonders who Impulse was.”
                  “At least, then Bart’s memory won’t be entirely wiped out. What about Barry?”
                  “I’m meeting him in Central City in a few minutes. There is something I wanna talk to him about. You wanna meet him?”
                  “Another time, perhaps.” Superman got up, said goodbye and flew away towards Central City. Jay stood on his front porch and thought about himself, Bart and now Barry. All connected through the Speed Force. When Jay had woken up, after being hit by lightning, he had heard names in his head. Now he knew who two of them were. What about the others? Where were they? Jessie Chambers? Max Mercury? Wally West? Eobard Thawne? Had they already come and gone or had they not yet been struck by lightning?

Comment

Chapter 10
                    A few minutes later, Superman arrived in Central City. Barry had left a window in his apartment open, so he could get in, without attracting attention. He flew in at super speed and landed in Barry’s living room. He was waiting.
                    “What took you so long?” Barry asked.
                    “Took the scenic route” Superman replied and smiled.
                    “So, what did you want to see me about?” Superman held up the ring, that Barry had borrowed the day before and gave it to him.
                    “I thought you might wanna keep this, just in case you need it.”
                    “Thanks.” Barry put the ring on his finger.
                    “Hope you don’t mind, I had them made some modifications to the suit.”
                    “Not at all.” Barry activated the ring and the nanite suit emerged. He went into the hallway and looked in the mirror. The suit was largely the same. Only now it had a yellow stripe on the legs. A lightning bold around the forearms. On the chest was a white circle, with a yellow lightning bolt running through it. “It looks fine.” Barry said and switched off the ring. Sending the nanites back into it.
                    “There was one more thing. You might not know this, but Green Arrow recently left the League to focus on another project. So, I was wondering if you wanted…”
                    “To join the Justice League?”
                    “Yes.”
                    “Tell you what…” Barry smiled and activated the ring again. “I’ll think about it.”

Comment

Epilogue
                      Two weeks later, Barry Allen was walking through a park in Central City. He passed some people reading newspaper. One was reading a local newspaper with the headline: Flash Catches Cold. Another was reading a copy of the Daily Planet, that sported a headline that read: Justice League Welcomes New Member.
                      As he came to the edge of the park, he saw a beautiful red-headed woman, walking together with a young boy. The woman was late 20’s and wearing a coat over a red dress. The boy was also red-headed. Skinny and couldn’t be more than 12-years-old. The boy was running around. Before either Barry or the red-headed woman knew what was happening, the kid had run out into the street. A car was speeding down the road. Without thinking, Barry ran – without using his super speed, there was enough time - and grabbed the kid, pulled him back to the pavement. Barely a second before the car whooshed by. The red-headed woman ran horrified up to the boy. Hugged him, but also gave him a stern lecture. Barry was ready to leave, when he suddenly felt her hand on his shoulder.
                      “I guess I at least owe you coffee, after saving my nephew’s life.” The woman said. “I’m Iris West, by the way. This is Wally.” She extended her hand and Barry shook it. For a moment, it felt like Barry was being hit by lightning. Again.
                      The End
                      Creator Credits
                      Barry Allen was created by Robert Kanigher, John Broome and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in Showcase #4. (1956).
                      Changeling (Erik Razar) was created by Robert Kanigher · Everett E. Hibbard, first appearing in Flash Comics #84 (1947).
                      Frank Curtis was created by Cary Bates and Alex Saviuk, first appearing in The Flash #274 (1979).
                      Iris West was created by Robert Kanigher and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in Showcase #4. (1956).
                      Jay Garrick was created by Gardner Fox and Harry Lampert, first appearing in Flash Comics #1 (1940).
                      Superman was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, first appearing in Action Comics #1 (1938).
                      Wally West was created by John Broome and Carmine Infantino, first appearing in The Flash #110. (1960).

Comment

Trivia
                        Erik Razar is mentioned as having killed a Smallville High student named Erica Fox. She appeared in the season one episode “Tempest”, where she was Pete’s date for the spring formal.
                        Clark mentions a friend having recently gone up against a crazy man, who thought he was Napoleon. This is a reference to Carl Kruger, who Batman encountered in Detective Comics #33 (1939).
                        Barry mentions his ex-girlfriend Daphne. This is a reference to Daphne Dean, who first appeared in The Flash #126 (1962).
                        Clark mentions Green Arrow having left the Justice League to focus on another project. The project in question is the Outsiders, who were briefly featured in Smallville: Continuity #4.
                        Clark mentions Chloe and Oliver getting and her moving to Singapore. This is taken from the flashforwards in “Finale”.
                        I considered doing a flashback to Clark taking down Razar in 2002 but felt it would’ve just slowed things down. An attempt to stretch out a story, that was clearly destined to be short (it’s pretty much Clark meets Barry; Clark learns that Barry has powers; Clark gives Barry a suit; Clark and Barry join forces to fight a FOTW; Barry gets named ‘the Flash’; Clark lets Barry join the League; Barry meeting Iris and Wally for the first time). Writing this story really made me understand why Smallville didn’t do a hundred Clark meets blank episodes. You need more of a premise, or you end up with something bland and generic. Here’s yet another superhero.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎