No announcement yet.

Smallville Turns 17 Years Old Today

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville Turns 17 Years Old Today

Today is the 17th anniversary of the series premiere of Smallville, so it seemed like a good time to invite everyone to discuss their favorite Smallville memories here, maybe get some conversation going!

Who wants to start?

For me, Smallville is that kind of show that people hold near and dear to their hearts the most. I've seen better shows, but none of them had me emotionally invested like Smallville did. Even when it was struggling and frustrating us, there was something charming about this show. It was also the show that got me to join Kryptonsite in 2008 (even though I was already reading the message boards from 2006). The first tv forum I ever joined.

17 years is a long time and it's a testament to the writing of the show (especially in the first 5 seasons) that we still remember the characters so fondly. Clark with all his naivity, the multi-layered brilliant portrayal of Lex by Rosenbaum, Chloe as the faithful sidekick, the Kents as amazing parents, Lionel the MB, Lana, Lois, Pete, Tess, etc. Some of the special effects look silly and outdated now, but the heart of the show still holds up well.

Speaking of memories, it's tough to pinpoint one, five or even ten. I will just say that if you feel like reminiscing, go back and watch Insurgence, Rosetta, Shattered and Memoria. As great as this show got, IMHO.

Happy Anniversary.

Comment

My first thought after reading this was Lex Luthor. Which in turn made me think of his line from Onyx....

" I am the villain of the story."

Comment

Originally posted by KSiteTV
        Today is the 17th anniversary of the series premiere of Smallville, so it seemed like a good time to invite everyone to discuss their favorite Smallville memories here, maybe get some conversation going!
        There are so many good memories, the friendships, the great people involved... The show wasn’t perfect, it had its fair share of episodes I would rather forget (exploding babies anyone?), but when it was good it was awesome. The show had some great drama. Clark being an awkward teen outsider trying to fit in also made Superman easier to relate to.

Comment

Smallville was definitely a diamond in the rough, but that was what was so great about it. It wasn't really a show about Superman as it was a show about Clark Kent... the real man behind Superman. and I loved how they humanized the character to the point that we could relate to him. At the same time, it was also great to see him grow up into the superman we all knew and loved.

My top ten smallville moments:
          1: "Hidden": This Smallville moment quite literally took the show to the next level. Clark's giant leap onto a Nuclear Missile continues to grace the start of every episode for good reason. Visually, it's one of the best effects pieces from the show. Clark climbing the side of the missile towards the nuclear warhead is surprisingly believable on the Smallville budget.
          Seeing the curvature of the Earth as the missile headed into orbit visually represented the show reaching an entirely different level. This felt less like a typical Clark Kent defeating the freak of the week moment and more like watching Superman save the day. It was a standout moment then and continues to be one today.

2: "justice": I think of this as another iconic moment on the show. There were hints at a larger world of heroes beyond the confines of Smallville, but nothing more. "Justice" established Clark Kent's role in the larger picture by teaming him up with an early version of what will eventually become the Justice League. this was a superhero team up on Smallville! How friggin' cool is that?! That one shot of them walking away from the exploding 33.1 facility is absolutely badass and one of the most memorable moments on Smallville.

3&4: "Commencement" and "Bizzaro" : I paired this together because it highlights some of Clark's most epic moments. In "Commencement" and "Bizarro," Clark uses his abilities to save children in grand fashion. The image of Clark dashing in front of a meteor as it's about to hit a child still graces the opening credits and is one of my favorite moments. Likewise, Clark saving a father and his child as a tidal wave is about to hit them is a majestic moment. Clark using his heat vision to turn water into steam made the episode for me. Both are powerful and exciting moments that emphasize Clark's future as Superman.

5: "Salvation": Clark outsmarting Zod after a great fight sequence in the rain. What is it about rain that makes a fight look that much cooler? With Clark stabbed by the Blue Kryptonite, making himself essentially powerless, he allows himself to fall towards the unforgiving pavement below. But Zod, with his powers regained, is transported to a new world, unable to terrorize humanity any longer.

6: "Crusade" : Lois Lane's first appearance. Enough said. there was also Clark, who is suffering memory loss and only goes by the name Kal-El,. He flies up to Lex Luthor's jet, rips the door off and steals some mysterious Kryptonian stones that will play an important part later in the season. Looking back, this may have been the most impressive flight sequence in the entire series. While some may say it wasn't technically Clark Kent, it still stands out as an exceptional moment.

7: "Onyx" : Who doesn't love a classic 'split a single character into two' episode? In "Onyx" Lex is split into two versions, one good (for now) and one very reminiscent of his future evil self.

8: "Rosetta": The first appearance of Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann was an important moment for the series. The introduction of Virgil Swann gave Clark an important mentor who helped the young Kryptonian learn more about his heritage. Clark learned about the fate of Krypton and that he was part of a greater destiny. Christopher Reeve's appearance on Smallville turned a lot of heads, giving the show legitimacy amongst some Superman fans who may have previously dismissed the show. With no current actor playing the role theatrically, it was a landmark moment to have a past Superman pass the torch to the current incarnation of the character.

9: "Memoria": This epidose was like a great character study on Lex Luthor. If you ever wanted to know what made Lex Luthor tick, "Memoria" would be the best place to start. Trying to dig into his own past, Lex subjects himself to an experiment that will hopefully allow him to recall some erased memories about his father. We see Lex alone at his birthday party when he was twelve and we see how his baldness affected him at a young age. Later, we learn more about the fate of his younger brother Juilan who passed away when Lex was young. It's rare that we get to see Lex's mother Lillian, and it's notable that she rarely seemed happy when we did.

Clark is subjected to the same treatment, however we only ever see him lowered into the crib by his parents before the memory system shorts out.

10: "Finale": I know there was a lot of mixed feelings over this Smallville finale, but I still feel that it had some great moments. The prominent use of Jonathan Kent and the focus on Clark's family do a great job of bringing the story back to the core themes of the series. Superman flies, saves Lois Lane in a crashing Air Force One and then sends Apokolips back where it came from. A little rushed, sure, but Superman finally soared on Smallville and it's hard not to get excited about seeing Clark Kent fulfill his destiny.

Comment

It was the first out of the gates in the modern era terms of superhero shows. Had it failed miserably, I doubt we'd be enjoying what could be considered a "golden age" of superhero/genre/sci-fi programming not just on TV but on all the streaming services. Smallville led the way, and while I still feel it got a bit long in the tooth after 10 years and ran a few seasons beyond its best interests storywise, its success can't be denied -- warts 'n all. It was a fun, entertaining series.

It was also the show where I wanted to be part of a discussion forum. SV bounced around 3 or 4 different networks during its run in Canada, so it was sometimes an ordeal to find out when or where it was going to play season to season. That SV fans up here managed to stick with its weird scheduling (sometimes it aired 'before' the US air date, sometimes a week or more after it!) is a miracle in itself lol.

The first season didn't even air here until the winter of its pilot year when half the season had already aired in the US. The network that initially aired it just dumped the first half of S1 on weekends and we had to binge watch it in chunks just to catch up. "Can a superhero protect his own heart?" was the slogan the network used to promote it in S1. (Don't know if they realized just how on the mark they were thematically with that. )

I feel things really took off and they found their groove creatively by the time SV hit S3 and they never looked back. The post-S7 era had its fans and naysayers, but there were some good eps. in there too.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎