No announcement yet.

Smallville Legends: Justice & Doom

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallville Legends: Justice & Doom

Another digital tie-in. However, after The Chloe Chronicles and The Vengeance Chronicles, they changed from live-action to animation. Which was a good choice. Both Chronicle series were largely restricted to existing sets and mostly just had people talking. Justice & Doom followed up on the appearance of Green Arrow's team, after they've set out to bring down remaining 33,1 facilities and having a run-in with another Ares prototype (plus appearances by Martian Manhunter (in Martian form) and flashbacks to past centuries, which would've required period costumes). It wouldn't have worked in live-action.

What works is the team's continued mission. What doesn't work is their attempt to tie things back to the legend of Naman. A matter latter largely debunct by the episode "Kandor", while this portrays the legend as being real. Ezra Small shows up in the Kawatche caves and get accurate predictions of the future. A matter never explained. It also features the return of Margaret Isobel Thoreaux, in a brief flashback. This I would've liked to have seen fleshed out. She sees something in a crystal. Was the crystal some sort of Kryptonian tech, that granted her what she thought were "magical powers" (because she's from the 16th century). The origin of her powers (along with their usage of Kryptonian symbols and her being vulnerable to the stones of power) is something I would've liked to have seen cleared up.

I went looking for info on Veritas and how it may have been seeded in earlier seasons of Smallville, while me and my brother were watching s7 episodes Veritas and Descent and that led me to these, from the Justice & Doom web comic game thing. I wasn't involved in the fandom at the time, so I didn't know much about this, though I'd heard about info coming from it. Apparently this was released during or just after season 6/before season 7. Not to mention I've read that the secret society thing involving Christopher Reeve's character Dr. Swann was an idea originally meant to be introduced.

Personally I found some of these details interesting and thought they cleared up some issues in the show I had. I also thought the idea of the secret society/Veritas was something that was potentially seeded in the early seasons of the show, one being in s1ep20 Obscura when, after Lex gets info from that crop duster who said he'd seen Clark's ship, the crop duster mysteriously disappears. Also in s2ep3 Duplicity when Steven Hamilton dies, afterward Lex and Lionel go back to his lab and his body is gone. This, along with the obvious QUEEN INDUSTRIES CEO DEAD AT SEA Newspaper in the Pilot.

What do you think?

Comment

Looking back at season 3:

In "Truth", Lionel wants to know where Clark Kent comes from.

In "Memoria", Lionel again wants to know where Clark Kent comes from.

This would suggest a belief from Lionel that Clark isn't from this Earth.

In "Legacy", Virgil Swann is shown to have somehow acquired the key, after it vanished into the cave wall. Suggesting that he has some way to retrieve it.

In Justice & Doom, we see the Veritas members together. The web-comic also ends with a segment, for some reason not present on the season 6 DVD:s:

It shows J'onn J'onzz operating out of a space station, constructed by Swann. This would suggest a connection between the two. Maybe they were working together. Maybe the Virgil Swann we encountered in seasons 2 and 3 was J'onn J'onzz in disguise (with the real Swann having been killed by Lionel ages ago). Either way, it connects a telepath to one member of Veritas. Meaning any inconsistency (like Lionel and Swann appearing to not know each other in "Legacy") can easily be explained away as J'onn J'onzz erased, at least, Lionel's memories of Veritas, to protect Clark. Memories he regained, after being affected by the stone in season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
        Looking back at season 3:

In "Truth", Lionel wants to know where Clark Kent comes from.

In "Memoria", Lionel again wants to know where Clark Kent comes from.

This would suggest a belief from Lionel that Clark isn't from this Earth.

In "Legacy", Virgil Swann is shown to have somehow acquired the key, after it vanished into the cave wall. Suggesting that he has some way to retrieve it.

In Justice & Doom, we see the Veritas members together. The web-comic also ends with a segment, for some reason not present on the season 6 DVD:s:

It shows J'onn J'onzz operating out of a space station, constructed by Swann. This would suggest a connection between the two. Maybe they were working together. Maybe the Virgil Swann we encountered in seasons 2 and 3 was J'onn J'onzz in disguise (with the real Swann having been killed by Lionel ages ago). Either way, it connects a telepath to one member of Veritas. Meaning any inconsistency (like Lionel and Swann appearing to not know each other in "Legacy") can easily be explained away as J'onn J'onzz erased, at least, Lionel's memories of Veritas, to protect Clark. Memories he regained, after being affected by the stone in season 4.
        I find that video interesting and just now considered the idea that Jonn may have been involved in Veritas, an idea that hadn't occured to me before, and also the idea that how Swann may have gotten the key was due to Jonn getting it for him, assuming that Jonn was acting in defense of humanity in this case.

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎