No announcement yet.

Teri and Dean at the New York Comic Con 2018

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teri and Dean at the New York Comic Con 2018

I found this transcript of Teri and Dean's appearance in New York Comic Con 2018. Enjoy !

NYCC 2018: LOIS & CLARK - THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN Reunion
    By Forrest Helvie, Newsarama Contributor
    October 5, 2018 09:40am ET
    Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman
    Credit: Warner Bros. Television

Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain from the memorable Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman are reuniting here at New York Comic Con. This 25th anniversary panel looks to be about memories and a possible future, so stay tuned.

And as part of Newsarama's live coverage of New York Comic Con 2018, you can follow along live with the below play-by-play. Give it a minute to load, and follow along!

Tune in for the Newsarama Liveblog coverage of the Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman 25th Anniversary Reunion from 12:45 - 1:45 at the Main Stage (1D).

The panel moderator welcomed the crowd to ... METROPOLIS!

And with that, Dean Cain and Terri Hatcher came out to a thunderous applause.

The moderator had to warn Dean Cain not to be weird after he welcomed Terri's legs.

Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman ran from 1993-1997 with millions of viewers. What was your impression with Lois getting the top billing?

Hatcher: It was exciting. It meant that they were going to put romance first and foremost - the comedy and the relationship. That was exciting and new in their approach vs. the adventures of fighting and saving the world, which was the usual approach.

And audiences seemed to respond to that.

Cain: Today, people would say "Oh, how progressive!" but then? We just did it and weren't thinking about.

Hatcher: To be fair, we had a woman as the showrunner.

Q: Do you think, Dean, Clark could have been the facade and Superman be the true identity?

Cain: No. Clark was the real guy and Superman was definitely the outfit he put on. As time went on, I preferred Clark over Superman.

Hatcher: It was the tights. You didn't like wearing the tights.

Hatcher: By the way, your tights and I had a reunion! Kevin Smith and I did an interview, and on set, your suit was there! I looked at it, and I told Kevin "You have to give Dean credit. He pulled this off pre-plastic muscle suits"

Cain: It was me, all me, all the time.
    [We didn't have the budget]

Cain: We also just did a little run on Supergirl, and I experienced suit envy. Melissa [Benoist] has such a cool suit.

Q: Each of you got to take on a villainous role on Supergirl, has it been satisfying taking on the darker sides of superheroes?

Hatcher: There's nothing like the fans of Lois and Clark. And I knew they'd get the biggest kick of seeing us back in the genre. And getting to play a vile alien, it was fun to turn off that morality gene and be as evil as I wanted to be. I've never done that before.

Is the character coming back? It doesn't look like it, but you never know.

Our on-site reporter is having issues with the Javits Center's internet. He'll be back momentarily.

Now, onto audience questions!

Audience question: With the Arrowverse opening up multiverses, could Lois and Clark exist in your universe?

Hatcher: It would be amazing. I'd love it.

Cain: It'd need more than ONE episode! I'd love to see what Lois and Clark are up to 25 years later.

Audience question: What's the biggest difference between filming now and then?

Cain: When we started, the internet didn't exist. So we never got feedback until we started going to Comic Cons.

Hatcher: There was no twitter. It was a kinder time. [Laughter]

Audience question: Did you feel like you were doing anything different or special?

Hatcher: We should have thought about this at the time, but we didn't. I just look back at it now and say how we worked really hard. We tried to bring these characters to life, and we tried to make it feel grounded and human.

On a day to day basis though? Didn't think about it.

Cain: I just kind of went with it. I think Lois drove the show, and I think Terri was the best Lois we had. Lois made things happen and Clark was just reactionary.

The chemistry was great though. You can even see real couples act together and get critiqued for not having chemistry. We depended on each other, which just sort of happened.

Audience question: I'm watching the show right now!

Cain: Spoiler alert - you own't see Clark and Superman together!!

Question continued: You had difficulty getting work after?

Hatcher: No, I had a baby.

Question re-continued: What was the journey from Lois and Clark to Desperate Housewives?

Hatcher: Well, I was four months pregnant during the fourth season of Lois and Clark. I was a latch-key kid growing up, and I didn't want to be that kind of parent. A lot of people are not blessed to have that option, but since I did get to make that choice, I opted to do so. There was no way I wanted to be on a television schedule while raising my kid. Four years later, I felt ready to come back and the script came along.

I had one of the best auditions of my life for that role, and that's how that happened.

Audience question: How did Clark afford that HUGE NY apartment and what were your favorite moments?

Cain: I love that apartment question! Maybe it was a rundown place he DIY'd?

Hatcher: My one iconic, favorite moment was from the pilot in that shot where Superman flies Lois in the window and down to her desk. It was really difficult but so huge and all-encompassing. You have the flying and heroism along with the newsroom.

That was a huge moment.

BUT my favorite episode was the "Honeymoon in Metropolis" with small scenes with a lot of physical comedy. That's my wheelhouse.

Cain: Told you she was a thinker! The moment of flying was amazing. It was fun!

My favorite moment was in Season 2 where Clark proposes to Lois and she asks "Who's proposing - Clark or Superman?" That struggle for the relationship summed up the show ... though Terri in the bathtub was pretty good."

Audience question: When you learned about this show's intent, what were your responses?

Hatcher: I don't remember -- is that awful? Maybe because at that time, I was much less aware of the comics or how a tv show attaches to the comics. Now, I live in downtown LA near a comic store, and I've become a totally authentic comic book geek to include Saga, Paper Girls, Faith, and many more. I could go on, but it's given me an education that I didn't pay attention to at all at that time, so I wasn't tracking the wedding in the comics concurrent with the show.

Cain: I'd love to see the comic store she goes to! Why is she buying everything BUT Superman stuff???

Cain: Back to the wedding, we weren't able to tell folks what to do with the wedding - and the fake out. We wanted to explore the wedding, marriage and family building, but we weren't asked.

So we got the odd fake wedding.

Hatcher: That's why I don't remember!

Cain: They could have done more at the time, but I'd like to see where they are 25 years later. Let's do it!

Audience question: On the final episode, there was a mysterious baby. Where is that baby now?

Cain: I can see it being a Kryptonian child. I could see them having college-aged kids. Lois could be mayor and Clark is pushing papers at the Daily Planet.

Hatcher: We've independently explored the story and what it would be if we did a reboot. I spoke to folks at Warner Bros, but it's a complicated sell as they have their own plan for their superheroes.

That said, my imagination went darker. What if they had this kid, part of how it worked was the kid would start to have the powers and Superman lost his as they both can't have the powers. Then the teenager struggles to figure out what to do and maybe he makes bad choices as teens can do. The older Superman would have to get his powers back ...

Hatcher: I was also thinking about real marriages and how Clark might feel broken down by Lois' success and his loss of power, and that Lois would have to help rebuild the marriage.

Cain: Somewhere in there we have a good story!

Cain: Maybe that's why Marvel is kicking DC's butts with the movies?

[Boo!!!}

Am I wrong?

[No!!!!]

My point has been made.

Audience question: Dean, who would you pick between Kimberly Elise and Terri Hatcher for a Lois and Clark reboot?

Cain: No question, Terri.

Audience question: How do you feel as a legacy actor on a show, e.g. Smallville or Supergirl?

Hatcher: My first thought was to try and honor fans. I thought you'd all think this was cool, so I did it. It was a nice nod to this world of fandom.

Cain: Agreed. I loved being a part of that whole world. Some actors push back against being associated with those roles, but I love to embrace being a part of that world. I'm a fan! I love seeing Linda Carter play the president!

Audience question: Thoughts on working on set?

Hatcher: Working with Lane Smith as Perry White was great. Every character helped build that whole show.

Cain: Having Ma and Pa Kent helped flesh out Clark. Our Ma and Pa.

I don't picture Kevin Costner. Why didn't Superman save him? I would have saved him! I don't get that.

Moderator: I like optimism in my Superman!

Cain: So don't I!

Audience question: You go to work with fresh faces on Supergirl. As actors, did you find them looking up to you as the older players?

Cain: Don't say old!! Say previous actors!

Cain: I was in the pilot episode, and I spoke with Melissa [Benoist], there's a lot of work to be all of these characters - the person and the hero.

Cain: It's a lot of work. One day on Lois and Clark, we shot for 22 hours.

So I congratulated Melissa and I told her to take care of herself as it's a marathon and not a sprint. If you're not careful, you can lose yourself in it all.

Hatcher: They didn't need my advice, but they were super welcoming and friendly. I didn't feel higher or lower - just another actor trying to do well by the character within the context of that world.

But I'd give the same advice if asked.

Cain: It was funny though because we shot that Supergirl pilot on the same set as Lois and Clark. And it was odd not being the one to be flying around.

Cain: Things seemed to move faster though because it's all shot digitally -- no need to reload film and things like that, which we had to wait for. We didn't have that.

Audience question: If there was one comic book superhero, who would you pick -- DC or Marvel?

Hatcher: I don't think I have anything.

Cain: The first one that calls me!

[Laughter]

Cain: That said, the first Captain America was amazing. I saw that film and I said "Dang it. I want to be in that one."

Then there was Deadpool and I said "Dang it. I want to be in that one."

Audience question: In baseball, what position would you play and why?

Cain: I played for a long time and enjoyed playing. I played 3rd base in a show called Clubhouse, but I'd take centerfield so I could whistle by myself.

Hatcher: Isn't there a position ... wait. You all have dirty minds! I wasn't going there. I was going to say pinch runner!

Audience Question: Did you know what 5th season would have looked like?

Cain: No. I wanted to know but they didn't really bring us in and ask.

Hatcher: Same. Sorry.

Audience Question: There's been a Batman '66 comic. Any interest?

Cain: Sounds great --

Hatcher: but I don't think we'd be involved with that. But we'd like to see it!

Audience Question: Best compliment and constructive criticism?

Cain: People will come up and share with us what the show meant to them as young people, because we're old, and how it helped them get through difficult times or bond with family over watching a show together.

Hatcher: It's the most heart-warming thing when people share where they were watching it and with whom. People who share those memories are great.

But I haven't really heard much in the way of constructive criticism.

Audience Question: When you're part of a Superman project, you're a part of a small fraternity. Thoughts on this experience for being world-recognized?

Hatcher: When we were in it, I don't know we were thinking about it.

Cain: You can forget these things are worldwide. I was in China, and then someone approached me and said "Superman!" That's great!

Hatcher: It's great to be a part -- but it doesn't mean you're bigger or smaller. You help make the whole.

LAST Question: How did you feel when you first saw the script for the episode when they were portraying Lois as the dumbest woman in the universe?

Cain: I thought it was funny. Clark was the guy in the disguise, so I don't know how we'd do it in reverse.

Hatcher: We were having fun with ourselves, so there was no point in trying to rationalize it. It's a conceit within the world of comics, so enjoy it.

The REAL Last question: In Supergirl, you switched roles. Dean, you were now a human and Terri, you were the alien. Did that feel different than your past roles as human and alien from Lois and Clark?

Hatcher: I think it goes back to what I said before. You bring your best to the roles.

Cain: I was just bummed I didn't get to fly!

I found a video on YouTube where you can see them on the NYCC. It begins at 2:14

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9IMsUxwrb8

Comment

Thanks for this. enjoyed reading the transcript and watching the video.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎