No announcement yet.

The Mandalorian (Disney+)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon-el87
    Not at all. It's an exploration of the lives of droids in this galaxy. Specifically the racism against them, that have been present since the bartender in A New Hope said: "We don't serve their kind". The episode fleshes out the droids. They're treated as tools by the people (ensuring that the humans (and other species) don't have to work). We get to see the inside of a droid bar (as a regular place don't serve them). They have worries about being replaced, with some of them facing a certain dismantling (for no other reason than they are old Separatist droids). Human imperials (like Jack Black) get a second chance, but not the droids whose behavior is literally caused by how an organic being programmed them (as opposed to the droids being actually evil). Battle droids killed Mando's family, because someone programmed them to do so. Tarkin blew up Alderan, out of free will, for his own sinister amusement. Mando stands around kicking some B2 droids (which is what sets one of them off), even when the B1 foreman asks him not to. The notion that someone might've tampered with the droids never hits anyone, until one technician discovers it.
    Since when it's the job of a show about the Mandalorian culture to explore the racism that droids faced in the Star Wars universe? They've already wasted a lot of screen time setting up the world we see in the sequels, which is also unrelated to The Mandalorian, but at least that has an actual storyline purpose to it. Highlighting the discriminaton that droids face has no storyline purpose apart from satisfying the activist kick that a lot of Lucasfilm writers are currently on (yes, the parallels of this droid storyline and modern day issues are hardly subtle ). What's next? An episode about how space battles affect the environment of the nearby planets?

The only part of this whole episode that was remotely connected to the show's titular character (lets assume for argument's sake that it's still Din Djarin) was the way he treated the droids. Which was actually a character regression on his part because the end of season 1 taught him a valuable lesson about trusting droids. A lesson he unlearns here because Bo Katan has to be the cool headed gentle Mandalorian while he has to be the boneheaded toxic male who bullies droids.

Jon Favreau has the writing credit for this episode, and thus he should be ashamed for this abomination. And for season 3 which until now has been a concoction of random and pointless storylines. Aside from Bo Katan's of course...
    Last edited by costas22; 04-05-2023, 03:34 PM.

Comment

After several episodes of The Mandalorian, Star Wars fans once again call for director Bryce Dallas Howard to helm a film in a galaxy far, far away.

After several episodes of The Mandalorian, Star Wars fans once again call for director Bryce Dallas Howard to helm a film in a galaxy far, far away.

After Bryce Dallas Howard's most recent episode of The Mandalorian, fans are now pushing for the actor and director to helm her own Star Wars movie.

Following the reception of the most recent episode of the show, "Chapter 22: Guns for Hire," fans flocked to Twitter to demand Disney and Lucasfilm give Howard a movie. While many criticized the latest chapter for its writing, most viewers were impressed by the directing and cinematography. At the time of writing, there are currently no known plans for Howard to take on a feature film set in the galaxy far, far away.

Comment

Wow. They are openly admitting that they have shoehorned Bo-Katan as the lead character of this series.

Imagine if there ever was a show about a female character and 3 seasons in it they had a male character replace her. The backlash from feminists would have caused Lucasfilm to shut down.

Comment

Well, at least Chapter 23 was a vast improvement on last week's dross. Very plot and action driven. And seeing the likes of Gideon and his imperial council this week really baffles the mind about why it took so damn long to bring them in during season 3. Instead they wasted a couple of episodes on stuff (Pershing's research and "Droid Lives Matter") that could have been wrapped up in 10 minutes collectively.

Anyway, like I said, the Shadow Council was the big development in this episode. It gave us the return of Gideon and it shed light on the different agendas within the Imperial remnants: Thrawn's looming presence, Project Necromancer (Palpatine's cloning obviously) helmed by Hux's dad, as well as the fact that Gideon is unwilling to share Pershing's research with Hux. The latter was the big twist because ever since Gideon went after Grogu, we thought he was doing it for Palpatine. Looks like he has his own plans about cloning through Pershing's work. Whether those plans involve Palpatine or not, we'll see. That was the most intriguing part of the episode for sure.

Grogu in IG-12 was cute, although it's becoming more and more noticeable, as well as annoying, that they are growing him and Mando apart. Notice how Grogu is seated next to Bo-Katan while they are on her ship. And in this episode, after Grogu breaks up the fight, Bo gives Mando credit for teaching Grogu, which Mando denies (second time he's done so after Grogu has done something impressive this season).

Does this guy get credit for anything anymore? I get that he's no longer the lead character of this show, but this is ridiculous. He gave up the Darksaber, he's playing second fiddle to Bo-Katan as the unifier of Mandalore, he didn't teach Grogu anything and next week someone will have to rescue him...AGAIN. I've lost count of how many times it's happened this season. And even when they rescue him, it wouldn't surprise me if he still sacrifices himself at some point during the finale as this show permanently becomes The WoMandalorian.

RIP Paz Vizsla.
          Last edited by costas22; 04-12-2023, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Chapter 23.

I don't trust the Mandalorians that they encounter on Mandalore.

I like the appearance of the famous Captain Pellaeon himself. A character originally introduced in the book Heir to the Empire, and previously heard in the series finale of Rebels. We also get the father of General Hux (played by the actor's brother).

Liked the final battle, and how Pax Vizsla got to go out.

Mando's captured, while the others get away. I like this. It isolates the show's main character, from all the other Mandalorians. Meaning that it'll be him versus Gideon in the next episode (otherwise, you end up with him just being one out of a hundred+ Mandalorians onscreen).

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
              Grogu in IG-12 was cute, although it's becoming more and more noticeable, as well as annoying, that they are growing him and Mando apart.
              Costas, don't make promises, that the show is not going to keep. (Some of us were glad to see Grogu leave, at the end of S2, and at the start of this season, wanted to see him thrown into a woodchipper.)
              Last edited by jon-el87; 04-12-2023, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                Costas, don't make promises, that the show is not going to keep. (Some of us were glad to see Grogu leave, at the end of S2, and at the start of this season, wanted to see him thrown into a woodchipper.)
                If that's the case, you must have really hated the season finale.

Speaking of Grogu, if Lucasfilm realizes that the Rey Skywalker movie is not gaining a lot of buzz, I am almost certain they will include Grogu in it. He will roughly be 100 years old in the timeline of that movie, so still relatively young. And I dare say he's a bigger attraction right now than Rey is.

Onto my review.

Comment

Having just watched the season 3 finale, I felt a weird mix of satisfaction and frustration. Satisfaction because it was a damn good action packed episode that had everything this Star Wars fan wanted. And frustration because we didn't have more of this throughout the season. One might argue "Not every episode can be just as good". And I have to disagree. That logic applies to shows like Arrow, The Flash or Smallville because they'd do 22 episodes each season. When a show does 8 episodes per season and those episodes have a big budget and they are shot over a lengthy period of time, I consider it unacceptable that most of them will be average at best until we get an exciting finale. I remember saying the same after Kenobi (which was actually 6 episodes long): Why did we have to sit through so much mediocrity before we got something that truly felt like Star Wars?

Anyway, one of the main reasons why I enjoyed this episode was that it placed the emphasis back where it belongs: Mando and Grogu. And, without a hint of exaggeration, Mando in this episode kicked more butt than he did the previous 7 episodes combined. I especially liked the scene with the shields and how he kept gaining ground and weapons. That's the kind of badass this guy is and that's how he should always be portrayed. Did he have help (again) in this episode? Yes. Bo saved him when Gideon had him on the ground and Grogu helped him to escape. But in both instances, Mando did a lot of work on his own too. He started his own escape (boy was I glad to see that!) and he held his own against Gideon for a while.

As for Grogu, I realize that he's not everyone's cup of tea. I don't mind him, personally. I like cute Star Wars creatures, lol. Also, for me, a Star Wars movie or show without the Force is lacking one of the key aspects that makes it special. Grogu, as a Force user, brings that element to the show. Should we see him save Mando from storm troopers? No. Should we see him use the Force to tame a rancor or to protect Mando and Bo from an explosion? Yes. On a final note, Grogu brings something else to the show. He humanizes Mando and gives him something to fight for. Watching him frantically trying to get to Grogu while the red guards were cornering him was the most intense heart pounding moment of this episode. So yeah, I didn't mind that the season ended with the two of them as father and son resting up on Navarro. It was a feel good moment, IMO.

Bo-Katan, while at the forefront for most of the season, was a bit more of a peripheral figure this time. And to be honest, I don't mind that she kept the Darksaber (until it was squished) and that she became the new leader of Mandalore. She had a right to both more so than Djarin. I just hated that the way it happened felt like they were taking Mando down a peg to prop up her. At least in this episode they got it right. It was a show about The Mandalorian in which Bo-Katan Kryze assumed her rightful mantle.

Gideon is gone for good and truth be told, it was time. Now the Filoni-verse moves on other Imperial remnants as the main villains. With Thrawn at the top of the list. Which is why I also liked Mando's scene with Carson Teva. It showed that Mando's relationship with Grogu doesn't change his nature to hunt. He's just doing it for a more just cause now.

Speaking of imperial remnants, I guess now we know why Gideon wanted Pershing's research and why he hid it from the rest of the empire. He wanted clones of himself infused with (I hate I have to say this word!) midi-chlorians from Grogu, which he stole in previous seasons. So those questions were finally answered. And now we also know that Project Necromancer is indeed about Palpatine (and Snoke).

The big question now is how they move ahead. I hear there will be a 4th season of The Mandalorian. Meaning Favreau wants to tell more stories of him hunting Imps while Bo-Katan and her clan settle on Mandalore again and face(?) the Mythosaur at some point. And maybe they will shed more light on what happened to Grogu and Kellehan after they escaped the Jedi Purge. At the same time the Ahsoka series will deal with Thrawn, who will be the big bad in Filoni's wrap up movie, so you have to believe that after season 4 of The Mandalorian, the Filoni movie will take turn in 2025 or 2026.

Terrific finale, but this show can and must do better as a whole.

Comment

Chapter 23.

Must admit that the episode feels like a conclusion of the story of Din Djarin. The original quest (returning Grogu to the Jedi) has been completed, Mandalore's been retaken, and Djarin has settled down on Nevaro with Grogu (going on the occasional adventure).

If he's going to be working as a bountry hunter, he'll really need to get a new ship. That little N-1 is already packed with Djarin, Grogu and R5.

Comment

Sooo... Mando season 3 was karma for hijacking 1/3 of Boba's show?

I disagree with the critique of them setting themselves up on a planet filled with giant monsters. These people have been driven from their native world. They're refugees. They have to live somewhere, and the ideal planets/locations are likely already spoken for by others (as demonstrated by Mando needing to be assigned a place to live on Nevaro by Apollo Creed. You can't just land somewhere on a planet or moon, and claim a piece of land). They have nowhere else to go (especially as they want to keep hidden).

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎