We Will Avenge!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar

Doctor Who #11.1 "The Woman Who Fell to Earth"

The countdown is on to the series/season 11 premiere and the start of Jodie Whittaker’s (hopefully long) run as the first ever female Doctor. It all begins a week from this Sunday on BBC One and BBC America.

Episode Description: “We don’t get aliens in Sheffield.” In a South Yorkshire city, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O’Brien are about to have their lives changed forever as a mysterious woman, unable to remember her own name, falls from the night sky. Can they believe a word she says? And can she help solve the strange events taking place across the city?

Quote Originally Posted by darkphoenix21 View Post
    the start of Jodie Whittaker’s (hopefully long) run
    She'll probably do three series. It's the usual number.

as the first ever female Doctor.
    Well, the first female Doctor to star on the show. Joanna Lumley portrayed the 13th Doctor in a BBC special for Comic Relief in 1999 (non-canon, but prominent enough to be featured on the Tardis wiki, with the special being available on the official DW Youtube channel). And Arabella Weir voiced an AU (female) third Doctor in the audio drama Exile in 2000.
    Last edited by jon-el87; 09-29-2018 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    Well, the first female Doctor to star on the show. Joanna Lumley portrayed the 13th Doctor in a classic sketch for Comic Relief in 1999 (non-canon, but prominent enough to be featured on the Tardis wiki, with the sketch being available on the official DW Youtube channel). And Arabella Weir voiced an AU (female) third Doctor in the audio drama Exile in 2000.
    Officially she’s considered the thirteenth Doctor; so I was basing it solely on the show itself and what’s considered canon on the show. I wouldn’t consider anything on wiki as “official” since it’s a website that can be edited by anyone.
    Last edited by darkphoenix21; 09-29-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Less than 24 hours and counting until the premiere Plus it’s a simulcast; so many regions will be watching it earlier than usual. I have my DVR set just in case I’m out and about tomorrow

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    8 minutes! I'm awake and ready!

The artist formerly known as "KryptonSite" KSiteTV's Avatar
    All of these commercial breaks on BBC America remind me why I don't like watching Doctor Who on BBC America.

So far I'm mixed. I like Jodie Whittaker and I want to see and know more about her Doctor. Don't really care about the other characters or the alien plot though. Also, this is too long....

I enjoyed Jodie's performance. It was a quirky regeneration as it should be and was with Ten and Eleven. The general plot described at its basic was very similar to Eleven's introduction.

But I also did not care much about the companions so far.

The end was funny though with Jodie's hair flowing in all those vacuum winds.

I enjoyed the premiere. I got Predator vibes from the episode; having seen the movie last month I don’t know if it was a good thing.

Anyway...

I also preferred the more quirky, hyperactive, fast talking Doctors of previous regenerations (e.g. Matt Smith and David Tennant) and Jodie’s performance was on par.

I think the companions felt weak because they had to introduce not one but three of them. More importantly, they had to introduce the audience to the new Doctor (which as we know was controversial to some) and make us like her. Once she arrived we quickly got rolling with the plot and solving the mystery.

On a side note...Out of all the guest stars they showed at the end for this season, I knew about 3 of them.