No announcement yet.

A Summer In Love

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sykobee
    Yay! Great way to start the weekend! Nice first interaction. You may feel that dialogue is not your forte but everyone has their own style and strengths. Even if you were to think the spoken exchanges between your characters is simplistic, you give such a wealth information as each internal voice that I, personally, do not find the actual conversations skimpy or lacking. Most people have a lot more going on inside compared to what they actually say. It's one of the reasons that I prefer books over visual media; good writers make great use of internal dialogue. Even with previous conversations and characters your style and combination has been powerful and succinct while informative and even lush for each character's inner thoughts.
    Great job on an awesome update. Again,  loved this fist convo. It rang true to what you've crafted and tracks well☺ More please and big thanks!
    Thank you!!! I have always written my characters with inner dialogue, to me, it shows a lot more than actual words do. I've also preferred books over visual media. You can read their inner thoughts, whereas in visual media you can't. I've read many stories where there isn't much inner dialogue, and I just prefer it that way. You can read how each character is feeling and thinking in that moment.

Glad your still enjoying this!!!

Comment

Chapter Five:

Their eyes widened to the size of saucers, as a jolt of electricity passed through their fingers, radiating up their arms, and warming their insides, as a tingling sensation spread throughout their bodies. They ripped their hands away from each other at lightning speed, like they were burnt, and thought simultaneously…What the hell was that?

Their hearts accelerated, as her shocked hazel orbs met his surprised aquamarine ones, and they quickly turned away from each other, both feeling the blush creeping up to their cheeks.

Clark frowned down at his hand, still able to feel the heat of her skin lingering there, and wondered what the hell just happened. He had never experienced a sensation like that before, it was like his body was physically reacting to hers, and it was the most amazing, and intense feeling he’s ever felt. Why did it happen? What did it mean? Did she feel it too?

He was completely, and utterly confused at the tirade of emotions he was feeling.

He was attracted to her, that much was obvious, but this felt like more than attraction…it was different somehow. Over the years, he had been attracted to a few woman, Lana in particular, but he had never felt this deeply about someone he had just met. Why was he feeling this way?

He didn’t know or even understand it because she was the complete opposite of him. She was everything he wasn’t.

She is strong-willed. He is feeble.

She is Independent. He is reliant.

She is determined. He is vacillating.

He knew he shouldn’t be thinking such things, especially in his current state of mind, but he couldn’t help wondering what this actually meant.

Where was this attraction coming from? Where did these undeniable feelings come from? What was it about Lois Lane that affected him like this?

Lois, on the other hand, didn’t know what to think, as she stared down at her hand, a tingling sensation prickling over her skin, and she could still feel the heat resonating from his touch. She had never felt anything like that in her entire life, it was new, startling, and the most incredible thing she has ever experienced. What was it? What did it mean? Did he feel it too?

She was overwhelmingly, befuddled at the multitude of things that were racing through her mind.

She was physically attracted to him, which wasn’t all that surprising to her, but she was utterly and completely overwhelmed by the things he was making her feel—things no other man has ever made her feel.

Her heart skipped a beat every time he smiled at her.

His endearing words made her blush.

He made it impossible for her to think.

She was never the type of girl who was affected by attraction, because that’s all it was, but this was different. She wasn’t just attracted to him. She felt connected to him in some way, but that was ridiculous because they barely even knew each other.

She was never one to believe in true love, soulmates, or love at first sight, but the way he was making her feel, was changing her aspects on everything she once believed to be true, and that terrified her…immensely.

Why was she feeling this way about a man she had just met? What was it about Clark Kent that affected her mind and body so overpoweringly?

It had become eerily silent between them, as they stared at the empty air in front of them, and wallowed in their never-ending thoughts.

He didn’t know what to say. He wanted to break the silence, but was too afraid to even look at her, let alone speak.

She was becoming antsy. She hated uncomfortable silences, and this was one of the worst ones she’s ever experienced. She quickly blurted out the first thing that came to her mind. “So, um, how long before the tow truck company gets here?” She felt absolutely stupid after asking that, but she didn’t know what else to say, it wasn’t like he was saying anything so, she had to improvise.

He sighed, softly closing his eyes before whispering, “About an hour or so.” She didn’t want him here. She didn’t want to be stuck with him any longer than necessary. He couldn’t really blame her, but for some reason, the idea of her not wanting him here… hurt, a lot more that it should have. But, what was he expecting? She was probably terrified, disgusted, and horrified by him, and just wanted to be as far away from him as possible.

He slightly shifted, uncomfortably, and moved a little further away from her. She didn’t want him here. He was probably freaking her out. He should leave. He should just get on his bike, and never look back.

But…

He really, really didn’t want to…not yet. She was affecting him in many more ways than one, and honestly, he liked her company. He didn’t know what to do. On one hand, he should just leave like he was originally intending on doing, but on the other, he was enjoying spending time with her.

But, before he had a chance to make any decision, her next words, completely caught him off guard. “Well, since we don’t have anything better to do, can I ask you something?”

He tensed, immediately. She was going to ask about his powers. What was he going to tell her? “S-sure.”

“Why were you standing on the side of the road?”

He looked over at her. He was not expecting that. “Uh, I was thinking.”

She sighed. This was going well, she thought. It was still uncomfortable between them, and all she wanted was it to end. She genuinely liked his company, but the dead air between them was killing her. She had always been a talkative person, and he seemed to be the complete opposite. She understood that he couldn’t or wouldn’t talk about certain things, but he could at least hold up his end of the conversation.

She tried again. “Where are you headed?”

He looked down. He didn’t want to think about that or talk about it, for that matter. He realized that she was trying to engage him in conversation, which made him second guess his previous thoughts, maybe she did want him here. But, why couldn’t she ask safer questions? These were just hitting way too close to home.

“I was just driving.”

She sighed. I officially give up! She was getting absolutely nowhere, and his short and simple answers were irritating the living **** out of her.

He looked over at her, and noticed how her shoulders dropped, and she just stared at the ground. He was being idiotic. This beautiful, amazing woman wanted to talk to him, get to know him, and he was shutting her out. He wanted to talk to her, get to know her, but he couldn’t because he didn’t want to talk about certain things. But, it’s not like she was asking for his life story. If he wanted to talk to her then he was going to have to open himself up to her, even if it was just a fraction of himself.

“Where were you headed?”

She looked over at him, completely surprised, that he was asking her a question. They might be getting somewhere, she thought then smiled. “The same as you, actually, but honestly, I have no idea where I’m going.”

He nodded. “I don’t know where I’m going either.”

They looked at each other, completely surprised that they were both clueless to their next destination. Was it just coincidence that they met? They weren’t too sure about that.

She turned towards him so, her body was fully facing him. “Where are you from?”

He looked down, slightly hesitating. He had hoped that she wouldn’t ask that question, but he didn’t want to stop talking to her. “I lived in a small-town.”

Lived. The past tense use of that word popped out at her, but she wasn’t going to question him about it. She would have, but she sensed a sadness in his voice, and conceded that he didn’t want to talk about his home life. She needed to liven up this conversation.

She smirked. “A small-town huh? So, you’re a farm boy through and through?”

He narrowed his eyes at her. “What makes you think that?”

“Well, firstly, you’re from a small-town. Secondly, you’re wearing plaid, if that’s not a dead giveaway then I don’t know what is.”

He frowned, looking down at his clothes then back up at her. “What’s wrong with my clothes?”

She laughed. “Your joking, right? It’s absolutely hideous, but it kind of suits you.”

He smiled. She was teasing him. He guessed that she probably did that a lot, and the thought of her teasing him, excited him. “Where are you from?”

He watched as she sighed, quite heavily, and rolled her eyes. She obviously didn’t want to talk about that. He couldn’t judge her for it since he refused to talk about it as well. He was about to tell her to forget he asked, but she answered him anyways. “I don’t have a home, well, not really.”

He frowned. How could someone not have a home?

She saw his questioning gaze, and sighed. “I lived on a military base, actually I’ve lived on many bases in this country, and many other ones for most of my life.”

He paled. She lived on military bases? She’s military? Oh God! Who the hell did he reveal himself to? Was she going to report him to them? Was he going to become a military experiment? Was this all a part of her plan to capture him?

He looked away from her. He couldn’t say anything else. She could be just wasting time until the cavalry shows up, and ships him away to god knows where, and his life would be over.

She saw the terrified expression spread out onto his handsome features once again, and groaned, mentally berating herself for being so thoughtless. He was scared of her again, of course he would be, he’s probably thinking that she wants to study him or something. She watched as he mentally and physically closed himself off from her, and he looked as if he wanted to get out of here as fast as he could. She couldn’t have that. She needed to reassure him. She needed him to know that he could trust her.

She tentatively placed her hand on his shoulder. He tensed, but still looked over at her, and she felt her heart break at the expression plastered on his face. He was absolutely terrified. He was scared of her. She slightly squeezed his shoulder, “Clark, it’s okay. You don’t need to worry. I’m not going to say anything to anybody. Your secret is safe with me…okay?”

He nodded, but didn’t say anything.

She released him, and looked away. She knew that was the first time she actually mentioned what she had seen him do, and was feeling a little relieved at mentioning it, but also anxious at what his reaction would be. She doubted he would elaborate, but at least, he knows she won’t say anything, and hopefully he won’t be so terrified of her anymore. She hoped so, at least.

He just stared at her. She wasn’t going to tell anyone. His secret was safe with her. He sighed, in utter relief, but then realized that she actually brought up what she had seen him do. They had been in each other’s company for over an hour now, and she hadn’t uttered one damn word about it.

He frowned at her. Why wasn’t she asking questions? Why wasn’t she curious? Why wasn’t she doing anything else but brushing off the topic like it was the black plague? Did she not care? Was she afraid of him, and that’s why she didn’t want to talk about it?

He didn’t understand this girl. Not one iota. She was different, anyone else would have already asked him a million questions so, why hasn’t she?

She noticed him gaping at her, like she had grown a second head or something, from the corner of her eye. She knew what he was thinking, and without looking at him, said, “You’re wondering why I’m not badgering you with questions, aren’t you?”

He mumbled, “Yes,” before looking away from her.

“I didn’t want to scare you away.”

His head snapped towards her, deniability radiating off him in waves. “I’m wasn’t scared of you.”

She looked over at him, smirking, “Really? You can’t fool me farm boy. Admit it, you were terrified, and not only that, but you ran away from me in a matter of seconds.”

He knew that, but he wasn’t going to admit that to her. “I didn’t run away from you.”

She glared at him, playfully, and he couldn’t help, but feel like he had absolute zero power under her gaze. He sighed, grumbling, “Fine! I was terrified that you saw me, and I didn’t know what to do so, I ran away.”

She smiled. “Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it?”

He grinned at her teasing. She was definitely one of a kind. “I guess not.”

He watched as she turned away from him, and his smile slowly fell. She still wasn’t asking him anything, which he was thankful for, but another part of him wanted her to. He needed—wanted to know what she was thinking, what she was feeling. Was she afraid of him? Was she disgusted by him?

He was staring…again. She sighed. “You’re doing it again.”

He quickly looked away from her, a slight blush on his face. “I’m s-sorry.”

“Let me guess, you’re wondering why I’m not scared or running away from you, right?”

His mouth fell open, as he gaped at her. “How do you do that?”

She feigned ignorance. “Do what?”

“How do you always know what I’m thinking?”

She smiled, slightly shrugging her shoulders. “I don’t know, I guess, you could say that I’m good at reading people, and you’re like an open book.”

He smiled, but it faded. She didn’t actually subdue his fears. “Why aren’t you afraid of me? Anyone else would have been.”

She stared directly into his eyes. “Clark, you literally saved my life today, why would I be afraid of you? I know you could never hurt me or anyone else for that matter.”

“How do you know? We don’t even know each other.”

She smirked. “That’s easy. You wear plaid. There is no way in hell that a guy who wears the most hideous apparel known to man could be even slightly threatening.”

He chuckled, of course, only she would see logic in that.

They sat in contempt silence, as they watched the sun begin to set.

He wondered how it was possible for one human girl to surprise himevery time she opened her mouth. She was absolutely amazing. Who knew that such an understanding person could actually exist? He always thought that people would judge him, and even though she doesn’t know the whole truth, she still was understanding. He knew she was one of a kind, and would never meet someone like her ever again.

He was still lost in his thoughts, when she spoke, surprising him with her words. “You know, you have no reason to be scared of me. I would never do anything to hurt you.”

He looked over at her. “I’m not anymore.”

She never looked at him. “I promised myself I wouldn’t ask you questions, and I’m not going to, but that doesn’t mean I’m not curious about you. I know you’ve probably kept this a secret most of your life, but if you wanted to you could talk to me about it if you wanted to, but you don’t have to.”

He looked away from her, thinking about what she had said, and let it sink in. He knew what she was doing, she was trying to make him more comfortable around her, and he was, kind of, would telling her make it easier? Did he want to tell her?

He knew that she wasn’t afraid of him. He knew that she wouldn’t ask him questions unless he either brought it up or asked himself.

He groaned, inwardly, he didn’t know what he wanted anymore.

After he had run away from her, he was vehement on not telling her anything about his powers, origins, or anything related to what she saw him do. But now, for some reason, he really, really wanted to tell her. She was easy to talk to. She didn’t judge him. But would that change once she knew the whole truth?

He remembered how ‘Kal’ was so carefree about his secret. He made it adamantly clear that he didn’t care if anyone found, and declared that he didn’t want to live in secrets and lies anymore. Did he have a point?

He knew he was tired of the secrets and lies to the people he cared about, but would everyone react the same way as Pete had? The only other two people who knew, were his parents, and immediately regretted thinking about this. He could feel his pain and guilt rushing up to him again, but quickly pushed it down. He wouldn’t think of that, not when he had been doing so good at not thinking about it. He supposed, that his company had a little to do with that, and was thankful for that. She definitely kept his mind off things.

What was he going to do? Did he tell her? Did he only tell her a half truth?

No. He would not lie to her. He could never lie to her, even it was a lie of omission, she deserved better than that, especially after everything she has seen, and everything they have talked about. He wanted to tell her, really, really, badly, but could he trust her?

He looked over at her. She had never said a word to him about any of it until it came up. She promised that she would never tell anyone. He knew. He knew what he needed to do. He could trust her, hell, he already trusted her. He wanted—needed her to know…everything.

He took a deep breath before he blurted out the one sentence he never though he’d say again. “I’m an alien from another planet.”

So? What did you think? Loved it? Hated it? I wasn’t too sure about this chapter. I wanted them to get to know each other a little better, but not make it sound too monotonous. I hope I did okay. I knew I wanted Clark to reveal his true self to Lois early on. It only makes sense for the direction I’m going with this story. I hope the dialogue wasn’t to dreadful this chapter, I promise, it will get better, but I had to get past a few things first.

I hope you enjoyed chapter five!!!

Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Chapter Six:

It had been eerily silent between them for several minutes since she uttered the words, and a part of her wondered if maybe she shouldn’t have said anything at all. She knew the he could completely shut down from her, he was already closed off from what he was feeling, what he was hiding, but most of all, what he was thinking. She hated it. It was risky, offering him support—offering him a way to open himself up to her, but she couldn’t squelch her curiosity any longer, and she wanted to assure him that she was trustworthy.

She wouldn’t ridicule him.

She wouldn’t tell a living, breathing soul about what she knew about him.

And whatever he did tell her, if he did, would never leave her lips. His secret was safe with her, no matter what it was.

There were millions and millions of questions running through her brain, and have been ever since she first witnessed him using his abilities to save her life. It had taken literally everything inside of her, and a hell of a lot of determination to keep her mouth shut. She was an inquisitive person. She didn’t like mysteries to go unanswered, and she wanted the answers to her never-ending questions, and normally she wouldn’t have thought twice about badgering him for answers, but this was different—Clark was different. She wouldn’t push for answers, knowing he could become even more isolated from her, and she didn’t want that. She wanted him to open up to her, but only of his own violation. She had given him a little rope, now it was up to him whether he was going to use it or not.

After a few more minutes, of complete and utter silence passed, the truth was inevitable. He wasn’t going to say anything to her. It was obvious that he didn’t trust her, or anyone for that matter, which she couldn’t really blame him for. She knew that he probably had a hard time trusting people, especially when he couldn’t determine whether he was putting his trust into the wrongs hands. She wished she could tell him that it was alright to trust her, she wouldn’t betray that trust. Never. She might not know him very well, but she understood his dilemma, but a part of her held onto a sliver of hope that he would open himself up to her.

And then it happened.

It was rushed.

It was barely audible.

But, she heard him loud and clear when he uttered the words that she had never, in a million years, expected him to say.

“I’m an alien from another planet.”

Her entire body froze.

Her mind blanked, ceasing all coherent thoughts.

Her heart stopped, started again, then stopped again until it was beating ferociously in her chest.

She slowly turned towards him, eyes narrowing, as questions ran rampart through her mind. “Mind running that by me again?”

He never looked at her, his eyes staring at the ground by his feet, but he could feel her eyes burning holes into him. He really, really didn’t want to say it again, it was hard enough the first time, but he vowed to be honest with her, and that’s exactly what he was going to do. He slowly, and very carefully looked over at her, “I’m not from earth, Lois, I’m from a different planet.”

She stared at him, for several excruciatingly long minutes, and never blinked…once. Did she hear him right? Did he really just say that? It just wasn’t possible, was it? He had abilities, but that didn’t mean he was an alien, did it?

Then, she did something very Lois like, she laughed, she laughed so hard that tears began to fall from her eyes. She just couldn’t believe it. It just wasn’t possible, of course, he had abilities, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t from this planet. He was either completely crazy or pulling her chain. She really, really hoped that it was the latter. He was a good guy. He was sweet. He might be a little lost, but he wasn’t crazy, he couldn’t be. She really, really hoped that he was just pulling some huge joke on her.

He was feeling a multitude of emotions, as he awaited her reaction, and for a split second he thought that she just might believe him, but then she laughed. Her head tipping back, her shoulders shaking, and tears were falling down her cheeks.

He sighed.

His head dropped, in embarrassment.

His shoulders slumped, in defeat.

He didn’t know what he was expecting from her, but it certainly wasn’t this, it wasn’t her laughing at him, like he had told some ginormous joke. He was being honest with her. He was trusting her. And she didn’t believe him. He couldn’t look at her. It hurt too much. He always feared telling people the truth about himself, knowing they would look at him like a freak, and even though that’s not what she was doing, it still hurt that she wasn’t taking him seriously. She had been so understanding when he didn’t want to talk about what she did witness, but now, now she was laughing at him, and that hurt…a lot.

He remembered when he had told Pete the truth about himself…

“So, you're some sort of... what? You're not a human?”

“I don't know what I am. I don't know where that ship brought me from. I just know that I grew up in Smallville, and everything that I care about and everyone that I care about is here.”

“If you care about me so much, how come you never told me sooner?”

“Pete, believe me, there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't want to tell you, but my parents thought it was too dangerous. Not just for me, but for anyone else who knew the truth.”

“You didn't think I could handle it?”

“Can you?”

Pete walked around him, slowly, like he was seeing him in a completely different light, and it wasn’t a positive one. He was looking at him like he was some kind of a freak, and that hurt, terrified, and disappointed him.

“Pete, another reason why I didn't say anything is because I knew people would look at me the exact same way that you're looking at me right now.”

“And how's that?”

“Like a freak. Pete, I've tried my whole life just to blend in, to try and be more normal than anyone else. Would you just say something?”

Silence.

“Call me... call me an alien, call me a monster. I don't care, just say something.”

“It's like I don't even know you.”

“Yes, you do know me. I'm the same kid that used to camp in your backyard. We used to ride our bikes in the woods, we used to play basketball with your brothers. Nothing has changed.”

“Yeah, right.”

He stepped closer to his best friend, carefully. He didn’t want to upset him even more so. “Pete—”

He abruptly backed away from him, and interrupted him. “Back off, man!”

“Pete, I would never hurt you.”

“Too late.”

He rushed past him, leaving him alone in the storm cellar, wondering if he just made the biggest mistake of his life, wondering if he just lost his best friend because he was an alien.

He quickly shook the memory away. Would she react the same way Pete had? Would she look at him like he was some kind of freak? Would she be terrified of him?

She felt like she couldn’t breathe, she was laughing so damn hard, and after several minutes managed to calm herself down. She wiped the tears from her eyes, and playfully punched him in the arm, “That was a good one, Clark!”

He closed his eyes. He couldn’t look at her. He couldn’t say anything. He was just…hurt.

She sobered immediately, when he didn’t respond, and eyed him, curiously. He wasn’t looking at her. His head was lowered. His shoulders were slumped. He looked miserable, like someone had just killed his puppy, but worse than that, he looked hurt. Did she hurt his feelings?

Her eyes widened.

Her heart accelerated.

Her mind went into overdrive.

Was he telling the truth? Was he serious about this? Was he really an alien? Was he really not from earth?

She gulped, silently, and cleared the lump that had suddenly dried up her throat. She needed to know if he was being serious about this because, if he was then that meant everything she once believed to be true wasn’t, and that was disconcerting. “C-Clark?”

He slowly looked over at her, pleading with his eyes for her to believe him, that he was telling her the truth. It was hard enough to tell her the truth about himself, worrying that she would look at him like he was a freak, but he wouldn’t be able to stand it if she didn’t believe him. He needed her to believe him.

She stared into his emotion-filled aquamarine eyes. He was pleading with her—pleading for her to believe him, and that’s when she knew the truth. It was staring back at her, and it tilted her world on its axis. He was telling her the truth. He was deadly serious about this. He was really an alien. He wasn’t from earth. “Y-You’re not joking, are you?”

He softly shook his head. She believed him, but what did that mean exactly?

She slightly gasped, covered her mouth with her hands, and snapped her eyes shut, as the hurt expression on his face bombarded her mind. It was her fault. She put that there. He had told her the truth about himself—a truth he had probably never told anybody before, and she reacted so…harshly. She wanted to kick herself, slap herself, anything to take back the obvious pain she had put him through. He was honest with her, he was putting his trust in her, and she had laughed at him. She thought it was some big joke, but in reality, he was putting himself out there to her, and she had made fun of him for it.

She opened her eyes, feeling the hot, prickly tears building behind them. “I’m so, so sorry, Clark.”

He looked over at her, and frowned. “What?”

“I’m sorry for laughing at you. I’m sorry for everything.”

He realized that she was feeling bad for the way she had reacted. She had laughed at him, and was apologizing for hurting his feelings. He couldn’t exactly blame her for her reaction, he supposed, that it was better than screaming at him, running from him, or recoiling from the sight of him. A tear slipped down her cheek. He hated it. He never wanted to see her cry again, it clenched his insides, and he wanted it to stop. He slowly reached out, and wiped it away with the pad of his thumb. “It’s okay, Lois.”

How? How was this okay? She hurt him. He didn’t deserve that. He deserved to be accepted—to be understood—to be appreciated, not to be made fun of. It wasn’t right what she did, and she regretted her reaction to the very being of her core. She shook her head, vehemently. “No! No, it’s not okay! I laughed at you! I made fun of you because I thought you were joking! I’m sorry, I never meant to hurt your feelings. Clark, I swear, I never wanted to do that.”

He softly smiled. She had the biggest heart that he’s ever seen someone have. She was amazing. He grabbed her hand, and softly squeezed. “Lois, I know. It’s okay, really.”

She stared into his eyes, and all signs of hurt was gone. She sighed, slightly tilting her head to one side, “So, it’s true then? You’re really an alien?”

He cringed, slightly, at the use of that word. He really, really hated that term. He corrected her, “Intergalactic traveler.”

She frowned at him, her nose crinkling, and her brows furrowing. “What?”

She looked cute when she did that, he thought. “I prefer to be called intergalactic traveler.”

She stared at him, completely dumbfounded, and rolled her eyes. There was just no logic to that whatsoever. “You do realize that’s it’s the same thing, right?"

He shrugged his shoulders, and smiled, a lopsided smile. He watched her for a few seconds. She wasn’t looking at him like a freak. She wasn’t scrutinizing him. She wasn’t doing anything besides smiling at him. What was she thinking? Did she want to know anything? Did she have questions?
        He took a deep breath, “Um, Lois?”

She nodded, a sign for him to continue.

“A-Are you okay with all of this?”

She shrugged her shoulders, “You mean the fact that you’re not exactly from around here?”

He nodded.

“That doesn’t bother me, but…”

He could feel the fear seeping into his veins, chilling him to the bone. “But, what?”

She grinned from ear to ear, “You can’t just drop a bombshell like that, and expect nothing in return. I’m literally dying with questions over here.”

He figured that she might. “What do you want to know?”

She turned her body towards him, crossed her legs, and placed her hands on her thighs. “I want to know…everything.”

He gulped. “E-Everything?”

She nodded, staring at him with expectation.

He turned his body towards hers, so they were facing each other, and copied her movements. “What do you want to know first?”

She grinned. “Oh, I don’t know. Where do you come from? When did you get here? What’s your real name? How did you get your abilities? Do you have other abilities? Do you have a spaceship? What—”

“Okay. Okay, I get it. You want to know everything.” He interrupted her multitude of rambling questions. “How about I just start at the beginning?”

She scooted closer to him, her excitement showing, and waited, patiently.

He couldn’t help, but smile, at her eagerness. She seemed really excited, and that gave him some hope that this would all go okay. He needed this to be alright. He liked her, and what she thought about him meant a lot. “I only found out a few years ago, and some things I don’t even understand about myself yet so, I can’t really explain everything, an—”

“Clark!” She interrupted him. “Your procrastinating, farm boy, it doesn’t matter if you know everything or not so, come on! Spill!”

He took a deep, long refreshing breath before telling her everything. He explained how when he was a baby, his parents sent him to earth in a spaceship to protect him from the ultimate destruction of his planet, Krypton. Three years later, his spaceship crashed through earth’s atmosphere in a massive meteor shower, which had remnants of his home world. Once he had landed, a farming couple found him, and took him into their home as if he was one of them. They raised him, taking care of him, and protected him and his spaceship for all of these years.

She listened, intently, never interrupting him once, which was definitely a world record for her, as he told her his life story. Her heart literally ached for him. She couldn’t even imagine what it was like knowing your parents, who obviously loved you sent you away to protect you from the fate they, and the rest of their civilization endured. What it was like feeling alone, isolated, and abandoned before his parents found him, and still feeling alone and isolated because he knew he was the last of his kind. He had been through so much in such a short amount of time, and he still didn’t know everything about who he was, what he really was, and what he was supposed to be. She couldn’t even begin to imagine what his life was life growing up, knowing he was different from everybody else, and trying to pretend to be something he wasn’t. She felt for him in her mind, heart, and soul so very, very deeply.

He watched, as she digested everything he had told her. It was a lot to take in. Not only did she just find out that he wasn’t even from this planet, but what he endured on getting here, even if he didn’t remember that part of his life, and what it was like arriving on earth, not knowing or understanding the strange, strange planet he landed on. What was she thinking? She said that him being an alien didn’t bother her, but what did that mean exactly? Was she terrified of him now? He needed to know what was going through that beautiful mind of hers. “Lois?”

“Hmm?”

He sighed, as she just blankly stared, and was growing really concerned. Did he frighten her in some way? He really hoped not. “Uh, Lois? Are you okay?”

She nodded, absently, not even looking at him. She was still lost in her hoard of hazy thoughts. She just couldn’t believe everything that he had went through, everything that he endured, everything that he still didn’t know about himself. What was he feeling about all of this? What was he thinking? Was he scared of his own future? Was he unsure of his own life? Was he doubting himself? Did he want to be normal?

He continued to watch her for a few more minutes, noticing every little emotion that crossed her face, and it was beginning to become worrisome. From the moment he had met her, she had never been this silent, and that terrified him. She liked talking, he knew that much, but it didn’t seem normal for her to be speechless.

He was nervous.

He was anxious.

He was terrified.

He was worried.

Did she accept him? Was she scared of him? Was she going to tell anyone? What the hell was she thinking? He really, really needed to know. He cleared his throat, “Lois?”

She was still lost in her thoughts, when she faintly heard his voice calling her name, and quickly brought herself out of her stupor. She shook her head, softly, blinked a few times, and cleared away her fuzzy thoughts. She looked up at him, and saw the tirade of emotions that crossed his face that were clouding his mind.

Fear.

He was dreading that she wasn’t going to accept him—that she wouldn’t accept the real him, the part of him that he never, ever, showed anyone.

Concern.

He was apprehensive that she was now terrified of him because of what she now knew about him—afraid that she saw him as a freak or a monster.

Nervous.

He was panicking at the thought that she might tell someone his secret—a secret, he had probably kept hidden from everyone.

He took a deep breath. This was the moment he would find out what he needed—wanted to know. “Lois, h-how are you feeling about all of this?”

She gave him a tiny smile before grabbing his hand, and squeezed it reassuringly. “I’m okay, I promise. I want you to know that it doesn’t matter to me. It doesn’t matter where you came from, how you came to be here, or how you have these amazing abilities. You’re not a freak. You’re not a monster. I might not know you very well, but what I do know is that you are the kindest, sweetest, and most caring person I have ever met.” He gave her a questioning look, and she quickly cut off his retort. “Yes, you’re a person, not an alien—intergalactic travel, whatever. You, Clark Kent, are a farmer who wears the most disgusting, and hideous looking plaid shirts, and just happened to save my life, even though you didn’t have to. You’re amazing, and it has nothing to do with what you are or what you can do, it’s about what’s in your heart—your mind, and soul.” She took a deep breath. “I will never, ever, breath a word of what you have told me today. I promise you that your secret will never leave my lips, it will always be safe with me.”

He smiled, at the woman, who he knew would never stop surprising him. She wasn’t just amazing, she was absolutely incredible, and the most extraordinary person he has ever met in his entire life. “Thank you. I’m guessing you still have questions,” he added, after seeing the cogs still turning in her head.

She grinned, turns out he can read her as well as she can read him. “I only have a few more questions.”

He nodded, waiting for her to continue, but was not prepared for her first question.

“What’s your name?”

He stared at her, not understanding that question whatsoever, “What?”

She laughed, at the dumbfounded look on his face. “What were you called before you came to earth? Or do you not know?”

Oh! That makes more sense. He shifted, uncomfortably, not liking that question because it reminded him too much about everything he’s done, and he really didn’t want to think about that right now, but figured she deserved to know. “It’s Kal-El.”

She repeated it, slowly, trying it out on her tongue, “Kal-El?” She crinkled her nose, at the way it sounded coming from her lips, it was just plain weird.

He nodded, and chuckled at the expression on her face. “I know, it’s weird.”

She smiled. “Yeah, I think I’ll just stick with Clark.”

He was happy about that. He really didn’t want her calling him by his kryptonian name. “I think I’d prefer that, anyways. I’ve always been Clark, and always will be.”

She clapped her hands together, “Okay! Next question, well, two actually, but I promise they are related.”

Oh, this was going to be good, he thought.

She grinned from ear to ear, “How do you get your abilities? And do you have more than what I’ve already seen?”

He sighed. It figures that she would be curious about that. “Okay, um, I have quite a few, the first being that I’m virtually invulnerable, I—”

“Woah! Stop there! Virtually invulnerable? You mean nothing can hurt you?”

He nodded.

This was intriguing. “So, if you were to get shot, for instance, it would what? Bounce off you like nothing ever hit you?”

He nodded, again.

“So, you’re what? Immortal?”

He shook his head. It would seem that way to anyone, of course, that wasn’t exactly the case. “No. I can still get hurt, bleed, and die just like everyone else. Do you remember when I mentioned the meteor shower that brought me here?”

She nodded.

“Well, with it came radioactive pieces of my home planet. There are two types, at least that I know of, green and red kryptonite. The red meteor rock, is like a drug to me, it diminishes all my inhibitions, and turns me into a completely different person. The green, on the other hand, is fatal to me, if I’m around it for an extended amount of time, it could kill me.”

She immediately paled. He could get hurt. He could be killed. She didn’t like that thought one bit. She might not know him very well, but she liked him—she cared about him, and definitely didn’t want anything bad to happen to him.

He sensed her worry, and quickly grabbed her hands, squeezing them in his. “Hey, don’t worry about that. They can’t hurt me if I stay away from it, and I promise that I try to stay clear of it as much as possible.”

He was hit with an unidentified emotion, as her worried, and terrified eyes locked onto his. She cared about him. She didn’t want him to get hurt. He smiled, inwardly, at that thought because he cared about her too, and was happy that the feeling was mutual. He didn’t know what it was about her, but she awakened things inside of him—things that he has never felt in his entire life. He could tell she was still worrying, and quickly changed the subject, “I, um, I have super strength, superspeed, you’ve already seen those two. I also have heat vision, and x-ray vision.”

She quickly covered her chest up with her hands, “What’s this about x-ray vision? How does that work exactly?”

He groaned, shaking his head, and held up his hands, as a sign of peace. “It’s doesn’t work like that. I have to focus.”

She lowered her hands, then smirked, “So, are you telling me that you’ve never ‘focused’ hard enough to spy into the girl’s locker room?”

He quickly looked away, blushing, as he remembered the day at school when he first developed that power.

She grinned, at the expression on his face, he was obviously remembering something. “That’s what I thought.”

He snapped his head towards her, “Lois, you know I would never do that to you, right?”

“Yeah, I know, you’re too much of a gentleman to go spying through women’s clothes.” He blushed again, and she decided to change the subject, for his sake, of course, she enjoyed teasing him too much to do it for herself. She quickly stood up, which earned her a questioning look from him, “Come on, farm boy, up and atom! I want to see these abilities of yours.”

He stared at her, for a few seconds before standing up. This was definitely a first for him. He never even showed Pete his powers when he told him the truth about himself. “Why, do you want to see them?”

She grinned, “There is something you need to know about me…I’m quite an impulsive, and inquisitive person, and I’m just curious about how they work.”

He sighed, knowing she would not let this go until he did what she wanted. He had a feeling that she liked to get what she wanted. “Okay, fine, um, since you’ve already seen the super strength we’ll skip that one. Which one do you want to see?”

She smirked, an idea popping into her mind, “What color are my underwear?”

What? She wants me to actually…? He coughed, looking away from her, as he blushed profusely, “Uh, I’m not doing that.”

She pouted. “Aw! Why not? Are you gun shy, Mr. Kent?”

He scoffed. “No! Of course not!” He was thoughtful for a few seconds, “Uh, how about this…” He zeroed his vision into her car, pulling back the metal door from his sights, and gazed into her glove box. What he saw surprised him, and he smirked, as he pulled his vision back to normal. “Do you really need a dozen packs of Nicorette gum?”

Her mouth fell open, for a few seconds before she closed it again. She was utterly, and completely flabbergasted. Then she realized what he had actually said, and glared. “For your information, mister, they were very necessary a year ago.”

He quirked a brow, “Wow! Never would have taken you for a smoker. You know, smoking kills, right?”

She glared, even more so. “I know that! It was a phase I went through rebelling against my father.”

He smiled, “Now that, I can picture. Why do I get the feeling that you were or are a little trouble maker?”

She smacked him in the chest, “Oh, shut up!”

He grinned before moving onto his next power, heat vision. He frowned, wondering how he was going to do this one without burning down something. He spotted a dandelion a few feet away, picked it up, and handed it to her. “Hold this, and watch.”

She nodded.

He focused his vision on the flower, and thought about Lana Lang, she was the girl that had activated it last time, and was pleasantly surprised when that didn’t work. When did that change? He didn’t have to wonder for long before images of Lois flashed in his mind. He saw her beautiful face shining up at him, those dazzling hazel eyes staring straight into his soul. He saw her long, silky blonde hair waving slightly, and he imagined running his fingers through it. He saw her perfect curves, and wondered what it would feel like to hold her there, while kissing her with everything he had. As soon as his lips met hers in his vision, his eyes burned before hot, fiery red beams shot out of his eyes, and carefully aimed them at the flower, not wanting to hurt her in any way.

She yelped, as the flower burned to a crisp, and quickly dropped it to the ground. She looked up at him. “How the hell did you do that?”

He pointed to his eyes.

Her mouth dropped open. “What? How does that happen?”

He blushed, slightly, remembering everything he thought about to make that happen, but that was something he would never tell her…ever. “It’s not important.”

She narrowed his eyes at him. He was hiding something. The way his cheeks tinted pink, did not go unnoticed by her, what was he thinking about? But before she could question him anymore, he quickly changed the subject.

“Okay, all that’s left is superspeed, and that one is nearly impossible for humans to see so, I’ll have to demonstrate.” He slowly walked towards her, “Do you mind?”

She shook her head. She was incapable of speaking, when he was standing so close to her, and was rendered absolutely speechless when he swept her up into his arms. Her breath caught in her throat. Her body trembled. She never thought she would ever be in his arms, but now that she was, she could admit that she liked it…a lot.

He looked down at her. Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea, after the thoughts he was just having about her. “A-Are you ready?”

She nodded.

He super sped them to the bottom of the bridge, stopped long enough for her to look around at her new surroundings, and then super sped back up towards her car. He slowly lowered her feet to the ground, but when he let go she stumbled, slightly, and he quickly placed his hands on her shoulders, steading her. “Are you okay?”

She was dazed, for a second, and needed a second to regain her composure. She looked up at him, smiling widely, “That was amazing!”

He smiled. “Your amazing.” His smile fell. “Thank you, Lois, for being so understanding about all of this, it really means a lot.”

They smiled at each other. His blue/green eyes meshed with her hazel, gold-specked ones, and within seconds, they could feel everything fade away from them, until it was just them—Just Lois and Clark.

He gazed into her beautiful orbs. She was the most beautiful girl he has ever seen. She was amazing. She was everything he never expected a human girl to be. She was the most incredible person he has ever had the chance of knowing.

His heart started to beat rapidly inside his chest, and his eyes fell to her lips. They were plush, pink, and looked so, so soft. He really, really wanted to take her lips with his. He wanted to kiss those perfectly-shaped lips. He wanted to taste the sweet flavor of her. He just wanted her. He slowly began to lean towards her.

As she gazed into his mesmerizing eyes, she was reminded by how handsome he really was. He was incredibly good-looking. He was the most amazing person she had ever met. He was incredibly, extraordinary, and not because of his abilities or origins, he was more human than anyone she had ever met.

She watched, as his eyes fell to her lips, and she couldn’t stop herself from doing the same thing. They were so full and luscious, and she wondered what it would be like to kiss him. Her entire body froze, as he started leaning closer to her, and her heart stopped before beating twice it’s normal speed.

He was going to kiss her!

Normally, in any other circumstance, she would have stepped back, pushed him away, or even slapped him for even trying, but right now, she didn’t even think about doing any of those things. She really, really wanted him to kiss her.

As their lips grew closer, they softly closed their eyes, and they could feel each other’s breaths on their skin. Their hearts beat in synchrony. Their breaths were uneven, and right when their lips were a breaths width apart, a loud, clanking sound startled them. Their eyes snapped open, met, and locked before they abruptly pulled away from each other, and noticed that the tow truck driver was pulling up.

She quickly looked away from him. She had almost kissed him! He was going to kiss her! What was she doing? She couldn’t kiss him! She groaned, silently, this was getting completely out of control. She liked him. She wanted to kiss him. She wanted him. But, she couldn’t have what she wanted. She needed to focus on getting her car fixed so, she can get back on the road, and avoid her father from finding her. She wouldn’t go back—couldn’t go back. She looked up at him. His eyes were trained on the ground, and he was frowning. She couldn’t think about him like that besides, he would be leaving soon, and she knew she would never see him again. She sighed, heavily, as she walked away from him, and towards the tow truck.

He averted his eyes to the ground. He couldn’t believe that he almost kissed her, and she was going to kiss him back. What the hell is he thinking? He can’t be trying to kiss her! He shouldn’t even be thinking about things like that! He knew it would never work out. He would only bring her down to what he has become. A lonely, broken, and lost soul. He wouldn’t—couldn’t do that to her. She was light, brilliant, and vibrant. He was full of darkness, and wouldn’t allow himself to let her see that side of himself. He realized that she had distracted him from everything. His pain—his guilt—his shame, but it wouldn’t have mattered in the end because he would be leaving as soon as she was settled, and doubted that he would ever see her again. He looked up at her, watching as she talked to the tow truck driver, and sighed as he walked over to the man, who was going to help Lois Lane leave his life…forever.

So? What did you think? Hated it? Loved it? This one was a little longer, but I don’t think it was quite as long as my first chapter. I struggled so much with Clark revealing himself to Lois. It was more difficult to write than I thought it would be so, I hope I didn’t disappoint. I wanted to have a whole conversation about it, but soon realized I just could find the right words to use so, just summed up the main parts.

I hope you enjoyed chapter six!!!

Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Lois' reaction is totally natural considering Clark just blurted it out. Were you inspired by the one on Infamous? Just curious.

Poor Clark is really down on himself, isn't he? It's one thing I've explored a bit with Clark in other stories (not always Clois ones). But as I've realised, if there's one person who can relate in some way, it's Lois.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz
            Lois' reaction is totally natural considering Clark just blurted it out. Were you inspired by the one on Infamous? Just curious.

Poor Clark is really down on himself, isn't he? It's one thing I've explored a bit with Clark in other stories (not always Clois ones). But as I've realised, if there's one person who can relate in some way, it's Lois.
            I was inspired by his reveal from infamous, but also some other stories I've read before, and I put my own little spin to it. When i was planning out the reveal scene, i always knew how i wanted Lois to react, especially from the way i had Clark just blurting it out.

I love writing Clark like this, but also hate it at the same time. He's just so down right now, and in my original draft, i didn't really include a lot of what he was feeling at this time in his life, and when i edited, and decided to post this story, i wanted to put that in there because i haven't read to many stories that included it.

I 100% agree that Lois can relate in some way, not entirely, but she understand.

Glad you're enjoying this so far

Comment

Well! I had to catch up on some serious happenings. Finally got our foir mini-monsters ready and off for the first day of school. ✨🎊✨ Hallelujah.

Thanks for the wonderfully written exchange after the bombshell of an early reveal. Wasn't expecting it but really like the fact that it won't be another load for Clark to bear and Clois to continually stumble because of the omission. It's wonderful to have so much insight to what they are thinking and feeling. Some times there is so little that it rushes and unbalances even a good story. I'm still very much enjoying this story and appreciating your style. These last chapters were a much needed treasure. Thanks again, and love the lengthy chapters😍 More please.

Comment

Well! I had to catch up on some serious happenings. Finally got our foir mini-monsters ready and off for the first day of school. ✨✨ Hallelujah.

Thanks for the wonderfully written exchange after the bombshell of an early reveal. Wasn't expecting it but really like the fact that it won't be another load for Clark to bear and Clois to continually stumble because of the omission. It's wonderful to have so much insight to what they are thinking and feeling. Some times there is so little that it rushes and unbalances even a good story. I'm still very much enjoying this story and appreciating your style. These last chapters were a much needed treasure. Thanks again, and love the lengthy chapters More please.
                I wanted the reveal to happen pretty early on in this story, it makes sense for future happenings, and I really didn't want his secret getting in between them. He is already dealing with a lot, he doesn't need to deal with that on top of everything else.

I like interjecting what they are each thinking and feeling because it shows more of the character themselves. I've read some stories where there isn't too much internal conflict or emotions going on, and rushes the story like you said, but in my opinion you can't really connect with the characters if you don't know or understand what they are feeling inside.

This was one of my longer chapters, and it took me forever to write it, but I'm glad you're still enjoying this story.

Comment

Chapter Seven:

He was completely and utterly furious.

He watched, for the past twenty minutes, as the tow truck driver leered at her like she was a piece of meat. He was making it clear how much he appreciated what he was seeing. The way his eyes roamed over her body, hovering a little too long on her perfect crevasses, made it obvious to what he was thinking.

She was beautiful, he knew that, but he wasn’t gawking at her with eyes, that clearly showed what he was imagining doing to her. It irked him, like nothing he has ever felt before. He shouldn’t be reacting this way, he knew that, but he couldn’t help feeling a little protective over her. It didn’t make sense. He barely knew her. She barely knew him. Why was he feeling like this?

He conceded that he just didn’t want her to get harmed in any way, and this guy was definitely a threat, but deep inside he knew that what he was feeling was so, so much more than just friendly concern.

Clark Kent was jealous.

He was jealous over a girl, who he had absolutely no right being jealous over, but it was still there, and he vowed that he wouldn’t let anything happen to her. This guy would not get his grubby hands on her. Nope. He would die before letting that happen.

You won’t say anything. You won’t do anything. You won’t say anything. You won’t do anything.

He repeated this mantra over and over again in his head. Lois could handle this situation on her own, but that thought was thrown out the window at his next words. “You’re all set, love. So, how about we get you settled, and I’ll take good care of you.”

That was it. He knew there was more meaning behind those words, and no way in hell was he allowing that to happen. She didn’t deserve to be treated this way. He stepped forward, effectively placing his body in between them, not noticing the way Lois glared at him. “Yeah, that’s not happening. She won’t be going anywhere with you. I’ll take her there myself.”

She glared at his backside. She heard the conviction in his voice, his tone clearly stating that there would be no if’s, and’s or but’s in this situation. Did he seriously just speak for her? What the hell does he think he’s doing?

She wasn’t naive. She knew what this guy was thinking, feeling, and expecting from the moment his eyes glazed over every single part of her body. He was expecting things that she would never, ever think about doing with him, but that gave Clark no right to speak for her like she was some kind of invalid. She could take care of herself.

The man glared at Clark, his eyes continuously traveling down to Lois like he was expecting her to say something. He stepped in front of her, blocking her from his sights. “Don’t look at her. You did your job, now, leave. I’ll be escorting her to this little town of yours, got it?”

His eyes narrowed, menacingly, but nodded nonetheless. He reached into his breast pocket, pulling out a white business card, and attempted to look over his shoulder, but couldn’t see the beautiful girl, who caught his attention. He sneered at Clark, as he stepped around him, facing her full on, and handed it to her. He smiled—a wicked smile, and brushed his fingers across her soft flesh.

She cringed.

He growled, taking a step towards him. “You can go now.”

The man glared, one last time, before getting into his truck, and driving away.

He could feel her eyes burning holes into him, as he watched him disappear from his sights, and gulped, as he slowly turned around to face her. This wasn’t going to be good, he thought.

She glared, meritoriously placing her hands on her hips for good measure. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

He took a staggering step back, at the tone of her voice, and the way her eyes glinted at him. He squared his shoulders, standing his ground. He would not feel sympathy for that guy. “I did what was right, whether you think so or not. Did you not see the way he was looking at you? He had other ideas for you, and not the friendly kind. No way in hell was I letting that happen.”

She narrowed her eyes at him. “So? What? You think I would have let something happen? I’m not stupid, Clark! I know what he wanted, but that doesn’t give you the right to behave the way you did!”

His eyes met hers. “I never said you were. He deserved it, and besides, the only reason I behaved the way I did was bec—”

He stopped mid-sentence, at the icy glare he was receiving, and took another step back. She was glaring at him, like she was reading his very soul, and looked as if she wanted to slap the living **** out of him. He gulped, silently, feeling utterly intimidated by her. He, superpowered alien, was irrevocably browbeaten by her.

She just couldn’t believe he had the audacity to speak for her like she wasn’t even there. What the hell was he thinking? Was he thinking at all? Did he think she was just some small, fragile, innocent girl who needed a man to fight her battles? He might have saved her life, but that was out of her control, this, this she would have, and intended on dealing with herself. He didn’t need to be some kind of hero, but supposed, that, that was just him, but still, he had no right—no inclination in doing what he did. She was about to berate him, even more so, when a thought crossed her mind, and it caused her chest to flutter in hope. Was he jealous? She recalled everything that happened and realized that he was. He was jealous of her.

She smirked, “You were jealous, weren’t you?”

He quickly looked away from her, feeling the heat succumb to his cheeks. He was, he knew that, but he wasn’t going to admit that to her. He turned back towards her, “No! Of course not! Why would I be jealous?”

She grinned up at him. He was jealous. He knew it. She knew it. Why was he trying to deny what they both already knew to be the truth?

He was cute when he got all over-protective, she thought, but quickly pushed those thoughts away. This was serious. He might not know her very well, but he was about to learn that she was capable of handling situations such as this one herself. She was an army brat, who has dealt with guys ten times worse than that guy. She crossed her arms over her chest, “Let’s get one thing straight, mister, I am more than capable of taking care of myself, okay? I don’t need you or anyone else, for that matter, fighting my battles for me.”

He knew that, of course, but he still wasn’t going to apologize for the way he reacted. He copied her movements, standing a little taller, and smirked. “Why do I get the feeling that you like to do things yourself?”

She grinned. He had this glint in his eyes, which surprised her because she didn’t think he would be gall enough to tease her back. She lifted her chin, defiantly. “My dad raised me to be independent and self-sufficient.”

He already knew she was independent. He could tell that she could easily take care of herself. He smirked down at her, enjoying the feeling that was brewing deep inside of him from the way she was looking at him. He liked the way they were teasing each other. She had a weird way of bringing out the more self-assured—more confident part of himself. He liked that feeling, hell, he just liked her. “That’d be one way to describe you.”

She smiled at him, her eyes staring deep into his cerulean ones, and began to feel herself slipping away—slipping into a spell that she wasn’t sure she could escape from or wanted to escape from. Her heart fluttered rapidly in her chest. He was staring at her with such intensity that it gave her chilling, goosebumps. An image of their earlier encounter flashed, repeatedly in her mind, and she couldn’t help wondering what it would have felt like to have him kiss her—touch her—hold her. She quickly looked away, blushing, slightly, and pushed those thoughts down. She couldn’t let herself get caught up in the moment…again.

He felt his heart pounding in his chest, the sound reverberating in his ears, as his eyes gazed into her sparkling hazel ones, and could feel himself getting lost in those endless, wonderful swirls of delightfulness. His eyes fell to her full, luscious lips, and he unconsciously licked his lips. He wanted to swoop down, take her lips with his, taste her sweet, sweet flavor, and never stop kissing her until neither of them could breathe. He shook his head, not believing he was thinking this way…again, and cleared away his hazy thoughts. He took a step back feeling the heat in his cheeks, as she looked away from him, and he could see the light pink tint coloring her skin. He cleared his throat, wondering why it felt so dry all of a sudden. “Uh, maybe-maybe we should get going.”

She nodded, not able to look at him, afraid of what she might see there. He couldn’t know that she was having these thoughts about him, knowing it could never amount to anything. She pushed down the sudden sadness that was beginning to overwhelm her and walked over to his motorcycle. She eyed it, curiously, and realized that she had absolutely no idea what she was supposed to do. She had never ridden on one before and felt the apprehension rise inside her. This was new to her, which excited her, but also made her a tad bit nervous.

He grabbed the helmet, that was placed underneath the seat, and wondered why even had it, but was glad he did, for her sake. He slowly turned towards her, and immediately saw the cogs turning in her head. Her brows were crinkled together, as she studied the bike, and he sensed that she was a little nervous about this. He softly tilted his head, watching her, and smiled, at the worried expression that crossed over her features. “No need to worry, Lois. I’m a safe driver.”

She looked up at him, frowning, slightly. That thought had never even crossed her mind. She still felt nervous about this, but it faded somewhat, at the soft smile playing on his lips. She took a deep breath before grabbing the helmet, and placed it on her head, but started getting frustrated when she couldn’t get the stupid clasp to click together. She could feel her fingers shaking, and sighed, she wasn’t just nervous about riding a motorcycle for the first time, she was also nervous about being in such close encounters with him.

He chuckled, silently, as he watched her struggle with the helmet. It wasn’t a tricky clasp, he knew that for a fact, and figured she was really, really nervous about this. She would never admit that, of course, but it made him wonder what she was nervous about. Was it the fact that she was riding a motorcycle? Or was it because she would be riding with him? He didn’t know, but had a feeling that it was a little bit of both, and understood how she was feeling because he felt the same way. She would be riding with him, a situation he never thought would happen with her. She would be sitting close to him, her body pressed into his, and her arms would be wrapped around him. He felt hot. He felt like he couldn’t breathe, as the anticipation rose inside of him, but quickly pushed it aside. He needed to focus. He couldn’t think about that.

He stepped towards her, grabbing the straps from underneath her chin, causing her to look up at him, surprised. “Here. Let me.” Their eyes locked onto each other, as he skillfully clasped the straps together, making sure he didn’t pinch her skin, and slowly dropped his hands to his sides.

He was staring at her with such intensity that she had to force herself to look away from him, it was making her heart skip a beat, and her breath was becoming labored and uneven. She needed to clear her head. He was clouding her thoughts, feelings, and judgment.

He quickly stepped away from her, climbing onto the motorcycle, pushed back the kickstand, and revved the engine. He half expected her to just climb on with him, but when he didn’t feel her presence he looked over and noticed that she was still standing in the same spot, staring at the bike, like she was scrutinizing it or something. He smiled. “Well, are you coming or not?”

She looked up at him, shaking her head to dispel her thoughts. She slowly walked over to him, swung her leg over the seat, and maneuvered herself into a comfortable position behind him. She froze, as she stared at his back. What the hell was she supposed to do now? She took a deep breath before very slowly and very carefully slithering her hands around his stomach. She barely touched him. She wasn’t sure she could handle what that would do to her senses. She was already confounded by him, she really didn’t want to add to it.

He looked over his shoulder at her, when he felt that she was comfortable enough, and immediately noticed how tense she looked. “Are you ready?”

She nodded.

He turned back around, quickly speeding off, and merged with the traffic.

She yelped, in utter shock and excitement, as the bike jolted forward, and couldn’t stop the grin that spread across her face. She tightened her arms around him, clenching his shirt into her hands, and pressed herself against him. The wind whipped across her skin, causing her hair to flip wildly in every which direction, and gently laid her head on his shoulder, trying to hide the wind from her face. She softly closed her eyes, and sighed, in complete contempt. She was enjoying this way too much, and she knew it, but she couldn’t help the flutter that rumbled in her stomach. He felt so good being this close to her, and she didn’t want this to ever stop. Why was she feeling this way about him?

He took a sharp intake of breath, as her arms tightened around him, and had to remind himself to breathe properly. She was affecting him so immensely, has been since he met her, but now, it was so much more intense. She was clinging to him, her body was pressing harder against his back, which caused a tingling sensation in his stomach. Her fingers were digging into his flesh, as she fisted his shirt in her hands. She felt so good against him, god, he never wanted this moment to end. Why did she make him feel like this?

“WHAT???” She shrieked, startling both Clark and the manager of the tow truck company.

It had taken them twenty minutes to get to Tribune, Kansas, where they had been sitting for an hour waiting for an update on the damage of her car. At first, she had felt excitement at the idea of getting her car fixed, and back on the highway, but now, now she just felt very, very pissed off, and she was more than happy to take it out on him. “What do you mean one week? I can’t stay here for one week! You need to get this fixed today! I’ve got things to do, places to be! I don’t have the time for this! So, I recommend that you rally up your incompetent employees and fix my damn car!”

He stammered, his eyes trained on the ground. He had never in his thirty years of life ever witnessed a woman get so angry before, and quite honestly, she scared the living **** out of him. “I-I’m sorry, ma’am, but there is nothing I can do. Your vehicle it has too many issues to fix in one day. I’m sorry, but it won’t be ready until then.”

This is absolutely ridiculous!

She stormed out of there, her hot-temper rising by the minute, and honestly, she couldn’t deal with this right now, she just needed some fresh air. As soon as the cool breeze brushed across her skin, she closed her eyes, taking deep breaths, and paced. She paced, back and forth, her mind going on overload.

She couldn’t believe it. She was going to be stuck here for one hellish long week, while her piece of crap car was getting fixed. She couldn’t stay here that long. She didn’t really have somewhere to be, but she couldn’t be here, it was too risky being stuck in some small-town for longer than a few days. He could find her, and then the life she so desperately wants would be over. She didn’t want that. It was way too soon for her to go back to her life. She had only just escaped late last night. She couldn’t—wouldn’t go back…not yet, of course, she knew that eventually, he would catch up to her, but that day would not be today. She wanted to continue feeling liberated. She still had things, and places that she wanted to experience.

Clark was completely dumbfounded, as he listened to Lois’ outburst, and after she stormed out he quickly apologized to the man before following her outside. He watched, as she paced back and forth, her hands clenching and unclenching like she was fighting the urge to hit something. He wanted to reassure her that everything was going to be okay. He wanted to find some way to calm her down, but he had no idea what to do or say to her. He had seen hot-tempers before, his being pretty intense, but never, never has he ever witnessed someone so volatile before. She was angry. She was pissed. He understood that, but what he couldn’t grasp was what the big problem was with staying here. He studied her, intently, and sensed that she didn’t want to or couldn’t stay in one place for too long. Why? Was she running from something? Was she in trouble with the law? Was someone chasing her? He frowned, not liking the feeling that rose inside of him, at the thought of someone dangerous coming after her, possibly wanting to hurt her. He didn’t like that thought at all. He quickly disregarded that, if she was on the run from someone dangerous then she wouldn’t have given in, in the first place, whatever it was he wasn’t going to question her about it since he was running from his own problems, and has absolutely no room to judge.

She knew Clark was standing with her, watching her, but she could honestly care less about what he was thinking at this point. She had been pretty good at hiding the fact that she was running from someone, and she had a feeling he had figured that much out from her reaction of staying in this town, but right now, she was too high-strung about this situation to care. “I can’t believe this! First, my car breaks down, and now, I’m going to be stuck here for one week! Why? Why is this happening to me? I swear, I swear that this damn town and that stupid manager is out to get me! I can’t stay here!”

He grinned from ear to ear, as he listened to her ranting and ravings. He slightly tilted his head to one side, and couldn’t help, but think how cute she looked. She is definitely a firecracker, he thought, an adorable, cute firecracker. He shook his head, knowing she would probably kill him if she knew what he was thinking, but it was still the truth, a truth he would never admit to her. As he listened to her continuous rant, an idea surged through him, and he knew it would stop her dead in her tracks. He was a little nervous about saying it, but it was the truth, and he really, really wanted to utter these words to her. It was something he would never imagine saying to any other girl, but she brought up a completely different side of himself—a side he was starting to like…a lot. “You know, you’re kind of cute when you ramble.”

Her entire body froze, halting her movements—halting the stream of words that were on the verge of slipping past her lips. Did he really just say that?
                  She slowly turned towards him, saw the smirk plastered on his face, and blushed profusely before she decided to tease him since that’s exactly what he was doing to her. She smirked, “Are you flirting with me, Mr. Kent?”

He chuckled, at the nickname, never had he ever been called that, but it felt good coming from her lips. “Well, Miss Lane, it shut you up, didn’t it?”

She glared, playfully, at him before softly punching him in his shoulder.

He laughed, good-heartedly before pulling her away from the tow truck company, and began to help her look for a hotel she could stay at for the time being.

An hour later, they stood outside her hotel, which wasn’t the greatest looking, but it would have to do and smiled, tentatively at each other. They both knew what was about to happen, and for some reason, neither of them were ready to say the words.

He was going to leave—leave her, and she didn’t want that…not yet. She shuffled, uncomfortably, before an idea, albeit only a temporary fix, came to mind. “Uh, do-do you want to go get some dinner or something?”

He smiled, hugely, “Yeah. Yeah, I would like that.” He didn’t want to leave—leave her…not yet. He knew he was only postponing the inevitable. He would be leaving, and he doubted he would ever see her again, but right now, right now he was going to go to dinner with her, and enjoy whatever time they had left together.

Twenty minutes later, they found themselves at a quaint little restaurant, which had a wrap-around porch, and sat at an outside table, enjoying the fresh air, as they ate their meals.

She looked across the table at him, their time was running out, and she wanted to know as much about him as possible. “So, um, what was it like growing up with, you know…” She trailed off, not wanting anyone to overhear their conversation about his abilities.

He looked around, making sure there were no prying ears before he looked over at her. He leaned in closer, making her do the same. He didn’t need anybody overhearing him. He softly said, “It wasn’t easy. I was pretty young when I developed my first ability, and over the years, I just kept developing more so, it was hard for me, you know? I’m different, and I have to work hard at pretending to be someone I’m not, just so, everyone else sees me as just a normal guy.”

She felt for him. He had spent his entire life in secrecy, hiding the truth about himself from everyone he loves, and never able to actually be himself around them, knowing they would judge him for what he is and what he could do. She didn’t see him that way. He was just Clark Kent to her, she could care less if he was from Earth or Krypton, besides what a person can do isn’t what defines them, it’s who they are that do. He wasn’t some freak or monster because he had abilities. He was just caring, sweet, kind, and that’s who he would always be, to her, at least. “I’m sorry, Clark. It must have been hard, not knowing how people would react to your secret, and not knowing if they would see you as something that you’re not. Your just Clark Kent to me.”

He smiled. It filled his heart knowing that she didn’t see him as an alien or a freak. She just saw him, as he was, and that made him extremely happy. He was always afraid of people’s reactions, and even though she did react in a way he never expected, she accepted him, and that meant everything to him. “Thank you, Lois. That means more to me than you’ll ever know.” He took a bite of his steak before continuing, “What about you? What was it like growing up?”

She scoffed, sarcastically replying, “Oh, it was thrilling.”

He chuckled, “Is that all I get?”

She rolled her eyes. “Uh, well, there’s not much to tell. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a military brat so, I’ve practically lived on every base here in the states, and even been to a couple in a few different countries.”

He was intrigued by that. He had never left Kansas, and still had yet to do so, and wondered what it was like in other states, as well, as other countries. “What countries?”

She smiled. “I’ve been to Germany, which by the way was quite fun the first time around, but after visiting three times, it’s not as thrilling. Um, I’ve been to Russia, Ireland, and when I was really young I visited Africa with my mom.”

He was awestruck at all the places she’s already been, and she was still so young. His eyebrows scrunched together, as a thought occurred to him. “So, if you’ve been to all these places, why are you traveling now especially since you’ve pretty much traveled all over the states?”

She hesitated. She couldn’t exactly tell him that she was running away from her father. He didn’t need to know about that part of her life. He didn’t need to know that she was running away, even though she sensed that he sort of already figured that out, and thankfully wasn’t saying anything. He didn’t need to know about the pain she had endured, albeit it wasn’t as bad as his life growing up was, but all in all, it was the same. Pain was pain, and she didn’t feel like hearing his sympathy over the trivialities of her life. Besides, what was the point in telling him the truth? He would be leaving. They would be going their separate ways, and she doubted she would ever see him again. “Uh, I’m just traveling for a while, visiting places I haven’t been to yet. I don’t know where I’m going exactly, but I’ll know when I get there.”

He nodded. He knew she wasn’t telling the whole truth, that much was obvious, but he wouldn’t question her about it. It wasn’t his right, and if she didn’t want him to know, then he wasn’t going to force her to tell him.

She shoved food in her mouth. She needed the topic to move on from her. She didn’t want to think about her predicament, at this moment. “What about you? Why are you traveling?”

He looked down at his plate of food. He couldn’t tell her that. She couldn’t know about what he’s done—what he’s caused. If he did tell her the truth of his sins, then she would look at him with disgust. She would despise him. She would hate him. He didn’t want that. He enjoyed the fact that she didn’t know about the pain he has caused because then she wouldn’t look at him like he was a monster for what he’s done. She had just told him that she only sees him as himself, not a freak, but if she knew the truth—the whole truth she would only see what he feels inside. Pain. Guilt. Shame. He couldn’t even face it himself so, how could he even begin to explain that to her? He couldn’t. He would never tell her the truth. Not ever.

When he didn’t respond, she looked up at him and watched as he completely closed himself down from her. He was hiding—running from something, which was why he was on the road, she knew that from the way he avoided looking at her. There was a lingering sadness that took over his features, and she sensed that he was feeling pain and guilt about something. She silently cursed herself, hoping that he wouldn’t close off from her completely. She had dealt with that when they first met, and she really hoped they wouldn’t go back to that. She was enjoying this carefree version of himself. “Uh, you know what, just forget I said anything, okay?”

He looked up at her, not surprised that she had sensed he didn’t want to talk about it, she was really good at reading him. He respected that she was putting his feelings in front of what she probably wanted to know, and was thankful that she wasn’t questioning him about it. He smiled, softly, “Thanks.”

She smiled, finishing off her plate. “You might think I don’t understand, but trust me I do, it’s probably not the same, but I do understand wanting to keep things to yourself.” She looked up at him, smirking, “Besides, a little mystery is always good for a relationship.”

His fork stopped in midair, as her words echoed in his mind. He slowly looked up at her, quirked a brow, and smirked. “Relationship?”

She rolled her eyes. Of course, that would be the only thing he actually heard, she thought before groaning, “Oh, shut up!”

After finishing their meals, he paid for their dinner and walked her back to her hotel, and now, now they were standing outside waiting for the inevitable to happen.

He stuffed his hands into his pockets, his head lowered, and his eyes stared down at the asphalt. He really, really didn’t want to say goodbye to her but knew it was going to happen, nonetheless. He didn’t understand why this was so damn hard. At first, he was only staying with her to make sure she was alright, to make sure that she got somewhere safe, and wasn’t stranded on the side of the road, but now, he was having a hard time leaving her. He could stay, he tried rationalizing, but he was still too close to Kansas—too close to home—too close to everything he was running from. He wished he could stay here, with her, because he didn’t want to leave her, but he just couldn’t.

She shifted, uncomfortably, moving her weight from one foot to the other, and refused to look at him, like that would stop the reality of their situation from happening. She didn’t want him to leave but knew he was going to anyways. They were both running from a part of their lives, and unlike her, he wasn’t stuck and had every inclination to leave. She could tell that whatever had closed himself down from her at dinner, was something that wouldn’t leave his head and hurt his heart, and he needed to get as far away from wherever he came from as possible. She understood. She wanted to get as far away from her father as possible, and she was a little closer than she would have preferred, but she really didn’t have a choice in the matter.

He slowly looked up at her, and sighed, heavily. She still wasn’t looking at him. They had been standing here for five minutes, neither talking or even glancing at each other. Did she want him to stay? Is that why she wouldn’t look at him? Is that why this was so hard? He didn’t want to leave. She seemed to want him to stay, but no matter what neither of them would get what they wanted. Their lives were going in completely different directions. He was going god knows where, and she, she would be here until she was able to leave. He quietly groaned. He didn’t want to do this—he didn’t want to say the words to her but knew he had to. “Lois?” Silence. He sighed, “Lois, are you okay?”

She slowly looked up at him, plastering on a fake smile, for his sake. He didn’t need to know how she was feeling deep inside. “I’m fine, Clark.”

He nodded.

They stared, intensely into each other’s eyes for a few minutes, neither speaking—neither moving and then she did something he never expected her to do. She stepped forward, wrapped her arms around his shoulders, and hugged him. He hesitated, not exactly knowing what to do, but after a few seconds, wrapped his arms around her, resting his head atop hers, and hugged her back.

She gently laid her head against his chest, and whispered, “Thank you, Clark, for saving my life today, and I promise that your secret will always be safe with me.”

He pulled away from her, not wanting to, but knowing he had to eventually. “Thank you, Lois.”

They smiled at each other, their eyes locking, and their feelings radiated off them in waves. It was time. They both knew it but still didn’t want to say the words to each other.

She looked down at the ground, her feet restlessly kicking some rocks around. “Where are you going to go?”

He tilted his head to one side, slightly, as she looked away from him. She wanted him to stay, he knew that now, especially in the way she had become reserved, it had been so different from the way she had been behaving around him before. He wanted to stay, god, he wanted to stay here, with her, so, so badly. But he couldn’t—wouldn’t allow himself to stay in Kansas. He had to leave. “I don’t know.”

She sighed, heavily, dropping her head, and softly closed her eyes.

He hated that she wasn’t looking at him. He hated that he couldn’t see her beautiful face. He hated that he couldn’t look into her dazzling hazel eyes. He needed—wanted her to look at him, as they did this—as they said goodbye. He placed his forefinger under her chin, slowly lifting her head up, and whispered, “Lois…”

Her eyes fluttered open and locked with his.

He gently trailed a finger down her cheekbone, loving the feel of her skin under his fingertips, and softly smiled when her eyes closed from the sensation. “I want to say so many things, but nothing seems like it would be enough.” She opened her eyes, staring into his, intensely. “I-I want-need you to know that I enjoyed every second we have spent together, and even though it was quite unexpected, it has been one of the best days of my life.” He took a deep breath, “I will never forget you, Lois Lane.”

Her breath hitched, as his words reverberated through her, and could feel her heart aching from the emotion that was laced in his voice—from the way his eyes revealed his true feelings. He didn’t want to do this as much as she didn’t want him to. “That was enough. I have enjoyed spending today with you, as well, and I need you to know that I will always be grateful to you for saving my life. I will always keep my lips sealed about your secret, and I’m glad you trusted me enough to tell me, even though we don’t even know each other.”

He smiled, “We know enough.”

She smiled back before slowly leaning closer to him, which paralyzed him for a split second, and kissed him on his cheek. It was soft. It was sweet. It was short, too short for either of their liking. His eyes closed, softly, at the sensation of her lips pressed against his skin.

When she pulled away, he smiled, softly at her. “Goodbye, Lois.”

She smiled back. “Goodbye, Clark.”

As soon as she turned away from him, the smile from her lips, and she resolutely walked inside her hotel, never stopping until she made it to her room. She closed the door behind her and leaned her back against it. She didn’t understand why she felt like this—why she felt so heartbroken. She wasn’t that girl. She wasn’t the girl who wrapped herself in her feelings and emotions, actually, she was the complete opposite, she blocked them out, keeping her heart safely tucked away.

But…

Somehow, he managed to wiggle his way inside. She let him tear down her walls, which she kept barricaded around her heart, and only after a few hours of spending time with him. How the hell did that happen? Why did he make her feel this? What was it about Clark Kent that affected her in so, so many different ways? She didn’t know and knew she would never get the chance to find out for herself. She didn’t understand how she allowed herself to get into this situation, but she truly, and honestly, liked the way he made her feel. She knew that for as long as she lived, she would never feel this way about someone else again. She sighed, softly closing her eyes. She was going to miss him.

He watched, sadly, the smile immediately falling from his face, as she slowly walked away from him until she had disappeared from his life…forever. He didn’t even know her, and he felt as if he had just lost something that was important to his life. Why was he feeling like this?

She was so, so beautiful, that was obvious to him, but never in his life had he ever felt so strongly about someone before. He had liked a few girls, Lana being the biggest one, but the way he had felt about them didn’t even compare to what he felt for Lois. It was irrational. It wasn’t normal. He shouldn’t be feeling like this about a girl he only had the pleasure of knowing for a few hours, but she was different, she was special. In the time he had spent with her she had made him feel things he has never felt before and knew one thing for an absolute fact, he was going to miss her.

He resolutely walked over to his motorcycle, climbed on, revved the engine, and sped off into the night.

As he drove, the wind whipping across his face, he could feel a pain in his chest—a pain he had never experienced before, and knew it was because of her—because of Lois. She had crept her way inside him. She had made him feel like he could be honest with her. He was honest with her, and she accepted him. She trusted him, just as much as he trusted her. He would never, ever feel this way about someone else again.

As he traveled farther and farther away from her, he wondered if he was driving away from the best thing that could have ever happened to him.

So? What did you think? Loved it? Hated it? The beginning portion of this chapter was initially supposed to be how chapter six ended, but after ending the last chapter at 12 pages figured I could just put it at the beginning of this one. Clark and Lois said goodbye. Now, I know it might seem like the way they feel is unrealistic, but in my opinion everything they had endured in one day together would elicit those feelings. Besides, this is Clark and Lois, and they have always had a connection even when they were bickering housemates on the show.
                  I hope you enjoyed chapter seven!!!
                  Until time next!!! 😊

Comment

Edge of my seat awesome! Definitely felt the pull of the warring desires. Crushed, even though I knew it had to happen, when they parted. Wondering where, how they'll reconnect in this story as well as dreading the General, and Clark's suspended Smallvile/Kent family drama. Really enjoy their connection and understanding of each others feelings and needs. Chomping at the bit for more, more more! Please❕❕ Do you have any idea of how many chapters this fic will be? Do you have an epilogue planned? Inquiring minds want to know😉

Comment

Edge of my seat awesome! Definitely felt the pull of the warring desires. Crushed, even though I knew it had to happen, when they parted. Wondering where, how they'll reconnect in this story as well as dreading the General, and Clark's suspended Smallvile/Kent family drama. Really enjoy their connection and understanding of each others feelings and needs. Chomping at the bit for more, more more! Please❕❕ Do you have any idea of how many chapters this fic will be? Do you have an epilogue planned? Inquiring minds want to know
                      I had always planned them to part ways after officially meeting, but wanted them to have already established a connection before that happened. I hated writing it, got me in my feels, but it had to be done. *Sigh*

You will find out soon enough

The General, man, I really enjoy writing him this way, but he will be seen again...soon.

As for Clark's family drama that will come later in the story, but it will be there, eventually.

I don't know exactly, but it's a long story, there will be more than twenty chapters for sure. I have this all planned out in my head, and have most of it outlined so, it will be finished, just might take a minute to get there.

There will definitely be an epilogue to this story.

I'm glad you enjoyed this chapter

Comment

Thanks again. Love your responsiveness 😍 Looking forward to more and epilogues are sublime treasures, gold at the rainbow's end.

Comment

Chapter Eight:

“You will obey me, Kal-El.”

Clark shot out of bed, dripping in sweat, and gasping for breath. After his heartbeat returned to normal, and his breathing became even, he leaned back against the headboard, and softly closed his eyes. Every night. Every night for the past two weeks he has had the same dream, more like a nightmare, he thought.

It haunted him.

It tormented him.

He looked down at his chest. A large shield, which covered his entire chest, with what looked like the number eight stamped in the middle of it, but he knew it meant something else entirely. He traced the slightly pink, raised skin, and wondered if he would always have this—if he would always have this reminder of what he’s done, and what he’s lost.

He plopped down onto the bed and stared up at the white, popcorn ceiling. He knew he would always have the mark of his ancestors, as long as he continued to disobey his biological father, but he couldn’t go back to him—to his family—to his friends. He just couldn’t—wouldn’t go back.

This was his life now.

This was who he was now, and who he would continue to be.

The hot, sticky tears fell down his cheeks, and he aggressively swiped them away. He didn’t deserve to be upset or saddened by the thought of what he turned himself into. It was fault—his mistake, and he would have to learn to live with it.

He didn’t want to feel like this anymore. He didn’t want to look at that stupid symbol every day. He was tired—tired of everything, and just wanted it all to stop, but knew it wouldn’t. He wanted his life back—his home back. He wanted to forget every horrible thing he caused and go back to the life he misses, but he couldn’t do that. It was just an impossible dream.

He would always feel the pain he caused his parents. He would always feel the guilt of ruining his mother’s only chance at having a child of her own. He would always feel the guilt of breaking his father’s trust and respect. He would always feel shame for the havoc he caused in Metropolis. He would feel it all for the rest of his life.

He deserved to live in this endless torment that was now, and would forever be his life. He had made the biggest mistake of his life, and now, he had no choice but to live with the consequences of what he’s done and caused.

He would regret everything that happened that horrendous day.

He would never accept that he believed he was doing the right thing.

He would never forgive himself.

He would live in this anguish, self-loathing, and culpability…forever. There was no going back in time—there was no changing what he’s done—there was no changing his undeniable fate.

He clamped his eyes shut, trying and failing to dispel the memories. Destroying the spaceship. Disobeying Jor-El. Ruining his parent's lives. Kal stealing—using—bribing. They refused to escape from his mind, heart or soul. They lingered in the shadows deep inside himself. He wanted it all to disappear—vanish from him, but they wouldn’t, and he knew deep, deep down that they would always be there.

Haunting him.

Taunting him.

Tormenting him.

A few more tears slipped past his closed eyelids, as the memories of his parents, and his friends rushed to the forefront of his mind. He hurt them all, in one way or another, some more so than others, but hurt them all the same. They all probably missed him, and he missed them…dearly, but he still wouldn’t let that take him back home. He wanted to jump on his bike, drive out of this town, and go back home, god, he wanted to really, really badly, but it wasn’t possible. He couldn’t—wouldn’t face them after knowing—remembering everything he has caused them.

Pain.

Suffering.

Heartbreak.

They were all better off without him. His parents. Pete. Chloe. Lana. They all deserved better than having him in their lives.

He would never go back. He could never go back, even if somewhere inside he wanted to. He knew who he was now.

He was alone.

He was broken.

He was suffering.

He would live with the mistakes of his life…forever.

Lois was a woman on a mission, as she slowly walked down the streets.

Coffee.

She needed it—wanted it desperately. She peered at every single cramped building she passed, looking—searching for her salvation.

As she walked, she breathed in the fresh air and could feel the sun rays beaming down on her skin. It felt great. She felt amazing. She felt more liberated than she has ever felt in her entire life. Life couldn’t be any better than it was right now, she thought but stood corrected the moment she saw what she had been searching for, for the past hour.

A Café.

A Café with food and coffee. Life had definitely just gotten ten times better, she thought, as she rushed across the street.

She hastily ordered a black coffee with three sugars, three maple donuts, and a copy of the local newspaper before quickly finding a quiet, isolated booth. She saw the looks, heard the protests from the other customers, and the clerk about her hurry, but she didn’t care. She needed this. She needed it…now. She had barely sat down before she was breathing in the aroma of her coffee, letting the smell overwhelm her senses, and closed her eyes as it sent a wave of pleasure to her stomach. She really, really needed this. She took a long, lingering sip, and sighed in utter bliss. It was absolutely delicious. She had gone without coffee for a few days, and this, this tasted like heaven, probably the best she’s had in forever. At that moment, she vowed that as long as she was in this small-town she would be frequenting this establishment every…single…day.

It had been a few days since she found somewhere she wanted to stay for a little while. Over the past two weeks, she had been either staying in small towns for a few days or driving, except for the week she was stranded in that no-good Kansas town.

She hated it. Every. Damn. Second. Of. It.

She had thought that, maybe, just maybe she could get through being stranded in the town for a week, but after her first day there she realized that she just wanted to leave, and vowed that once she was free she would never be going back to that town.

It was just miserable.

Firstly, there was absolutely nothing to do. She would walk the streets every day wanting to find something to do to pass the time, but there was nothing…at all.

Secondly, the hotel she was staying at was small, crummy, and had the stench of decaying fish. It was completely and utterly disgusting. She barely slept at night, too miserable to even sleep the days away so, she could leave.

Thirdly, the people in the town were worse than anything she had ever experienced, with all their questions and inquisitive nature. She was also inquisitive, a downfall to her personality, but she knew when to stop badgering people…they didn’t. Every day and every night she was questioned about why she was there, albeit it was a small-town, no more than one thousand people living there, but did they seriously have nothing better to do than antagonize her?

As soon as her car was properly fixed, and ready to be picked up she was out of that no-good horrible excuse of a town within two hours and was back on the road, where she wanted to be.

Over the following week, she had initially planned to just drive through a state or two until she was far enough away from Arizona, but instead, she had stayed in Colorado, visiting the small-towns, and fell in love with the state. She never intended to stay in one place for too long, but it had captivated her, and for some reason, she felt like she needed to be here. It was beautiful. It was small. It was surrounded by the humongous blue-purplish mountains. It was barricaded by trees, trees, and even more trees. The hotel she was staying at was absolutely fabulous and had a homey type atmosphere, which made her feel something she’s never felt before…contempt.

She genuinely liked it here.

She felt like she could breathe better here like the air was filled with everything she had been searching for since she left Arizona.

She felt more liberated here, more so than she has felt ever since running away from her father.

She felt like she could stay here for a while, without worries, and without the baggage, her life consists of. She wanted to stay here, and that’s exactly what she planned on doing.

But…

She knew she couldn’t stay forever, even if she wanted to, even if it felt like this was the right place for her to be. It was too risky staying in one place for too long. He could and would find her. She didn’t want that. Not at all. She wanted to feel this way for as long as possible.

She washed down her first maple donut with her coffee. She could stay here for a while, enjoying herself—enjoying her freedom until she felt it was time to move to a different place—a different state—a different journey.

This was her life now.

Carefree.

Liberating.

It wasn’t what she was used to, but it’s what she wanted, needed, and intended to keep doing until her father found her. It was inevitable. He would find her and drag her back to the life she was escaping from, with some consequences no doubt.

She pulled herself out of her thoughts. She wouldn’t think about that. She was going to enjoy herself for the time being.

She finished off her second maple donut, sipped her coffee, and flipped open The Estes Park Tribune.

Life was great!

He walked down the familiar streets of Estes Park, watching as the people rushed in and out of the small, cramped buildings. He felt the fresh air brush across his skin, felt the sun energizing him and relished in the beauty that surrounded him. He has been here, in Colorado, for almost two weeks now. It was the first town he came across and hasn’t wanted or needed to leave since. He never intended on staying here this long, but couldn’t help but fall in love with this state—with this town. It was exceptionally beautiful here. The mountains were the most incredible thing he has ever seen in his life. He knew that he should be wanting to get as far away from Kansas as possible, and Colorado was a little too close to home for comfort, but for some reason, it felt right being here. It felt like he belonged here. He didn’t know how long he was staying or when he was going to leave, but at the moment, he was staying here until he was ready to move onto to his next destination—his next journey.

He walked into his favorite café. It was small. It was quaint. It had a particular atmosphere, which pulled him in from the very first visit, and has been coming here every morning, and almost every night. They served the best breakfast croissants and their coffee was the best thing he has ever tasted. He never used to drink it, but ever since he’s been here, he hasn’t been able to resist the urge for some much needed, and much-appreciated caffeine.

He walked up to the service counter and smiled at the red-head, who worked here every morning. “Hey! Good morning, Joslyn.”

Joslyn, who was busy finishing off the last customer's order looked up and smiled the most beaming smile when she saw who was standing in front of her. It was Clark. He had been coming in here for the past two weeks, and her day brightened every morning when he walked through those front doors. “Hi, Clark! Are we having the usual this morning?”

He nodded.

She quickly prepared his regular coffee, his ham, and cheese breakfast croissant, and handed it over to him.

He smiled at her. She was such a sweet girl, he thought. “Thanks.”

He turned away from her, not even noticing the longing in her eyes or how she was about to ask the question she’s been dying to ask him since the first moment she laid eyes on him. He started to head outside towards the bench, where he sat every morning, but didn’t make it two steps before something or rather someone caught his attention immediately.

A woman, who was sitting in a booth near the back of the café only a few feet away from him had captivated him. His heart quickened. His breath caught in his throat. He felt like he couldn’t breathe, as he stared wide-eyed at the one person he hoped he would see again, but never thought it would happen.

It was Lois Lane.

He slightly shook his head, and blinked a few times, thinking that maybe he was seeing things—seeing her, but she was there, and for the first time in two weeks, a real smile crept onto his features. He watched as she munched down on a donut, drank her coffee, and had her nose buried deep into the newspaper. His smile grew wider, as his eyes swept over her again and again. She was even more breathtakingly beautiful than she was the last time he saw her.

When he left her in Kansas, there wasn’t one day that he didn’t think about her, especially at night, as he laid in bed he would replay every single moment they spent together. The moment he saved her life and stared into her beautiful hazel eyes. The moment he realized just how beautiful she actually is. The moment he decided to give up on his secrets, and tell her the truth about himself, even though she wasn’t badgering him to tell her. The moment he had put on a display of his powers, and almost kissed her. The exciting moment when she was pressed up against him while riding his motorcycle. Their dinner together, and the horrifying moment he was forced to say goodbye to her.

He frowned.

He absolutely hated every second of that. He didn’t want to leave—he didn’t want to leave her, but he had made the decision to leave Kansas knowing that he couldn’t—wouldn’t stay there, even if it meant being with her. He has regretted that moment ever since he left her, alone, but deep down he knew that she was going to be okay and that she could easily take care of herself. He learned that first hand. But, most of all, he regretted having to have to say goodbye to her in the first place.

She had clouded his mind—affected his heart, and reached into his soul within a mere few hours of meeting her. When he left, it broke him, more than he thought it would, especially since he shouldn’t have felt the way he did—the way he still feels about her after such a short amount of time, but it felt right—it still feels right.

And now, now they were in the same town, only two weeks after they last saw each other, what were the odds of the happening? He wasn’t one to believe in destiny, actually, he desperately hated that word, but for some reason he couldn’t explain it, it felt like this was always supposed to happen. A surge of utter excitement rolled through his body, at the thought of spending even more time with the girl who surprised him, intrigued him, and most of all, made him feels things that he has never felt before.

He slowly walked over to her. He could feel his body trembling. She was really here. She was really sitting in front of him. The closer he got to her, the wider his smile became, and as soon as he was standing right in front of her he stopped, and stared down at her. He took a deep breath, “Is this seat taken?”

He didn’t give her time to respond before he had sat down across from her and waited for the fiery reaction that was sure to come. He knew it would irritate her—piss her off, but mostly, it would cause her to go off on an endless rant, which he enjoyed watching her do. But, he didn’t care about that, not right now. He was more interested in seeing her reaction to realizing just who he was. Would she be happy to see him? Thrilled? Shocked? Surprised?

He smirked, folding his hands in front of him, and waited for the inevitable to happen.

She was happily enjoying reading the tourist section of the newspaper when she felt a presence looming over her. She felt a million and one barbs rise up inside her, and they endlessly rested on the tip of her tongue but resisted saying anything. Normally, she wouldn’t mind making a scene, but in this case, she was just hoping—praying that this idiot would get the hint that she wasn’t interested, and wanted to be left alone.

He didn’t.

She heard him ask if he could sit down with her, and she immediately wanted to berate this guy for bothering her but stopped herself. She frowned. She knew that voice. It was familiar—too familiar like she should know this guy from somewhere, but she couldn’t place from where she had heard his voice before.

She growled, silently, all thoughts of familiarity flushed down the toilet when he just helped himself to her table without permission, albeit she would have never given it to him in the first place. How dare he? Does he even know what he just got himself into?

She clenched the paper into her fists, “Who the hell do you think you—” She stopped mid-sentence, after dropping the newspaper, and recognized who was actually sitting in front of her immediately.

It was Clark Kent.

He was sitting across from her, hands folded in front of him, and had the biggest smirk plastered on his face. She didn’t have time to think, talk or breathe.

Her eyes widened.

Her mouth dropped open, closed, then dropped open again.

He was here. He was actually sitting in front of her. The guy that saved her life. The guy that revealed sides of himself that he had never shown anyone. The guy who made her feel things she had never felt before.

Over the past two weeks, he had thought about him every single day, especially at night when she was either getting ready to go to sleep or was having trouble sleeping, which was a new concept to her since she had never, ever dawdled over a guy as much as she has over him.

Every single night when she would close her eyes, she would replay every moment they spent together in excruciating detail, and more times than not it kept her wide awake. She would visualize him saving her life, and locking eyes with his terrified aquamarine ones. She would see his perfectly handsome features, and the moment she realized how good-looking he actually is. She would relive the moment that he revealed his true self to her, and could hear the fear in his voice, even though she never asked him to tell her. She would see him displaying every one of his abilities to her before they almost kissed, a moment she replayed over and over again in her mind. She would see the moment they rode on his motorcycle and remember the feel of his body pressed against hers. She would replay their dinner together, still tasting the food they ate, and the dreadful moment that they had to say goodbye to each other.

She absolutely hated it when he left. She didn’t want him to go, and she knew that he didn’t want to either, but they both knew it was going to happen nevertheless. He was running, just like her, from a past, he refuses to talk about, and she understood that that was why he had to leave, even if he didn’t voice it. He didn’t have to. She could see it in his eyes. Hear it in his voice. And feel it from within him.

There wasn’t a single moment that she regretted with him, except having to say goodbye to the man who had clouded her mind—her judgment, who broke down her walls within a few hours, and slithered his way inside her heart, and deep into her soul. When he left, she had refused to walk by—look at or even consider going into the restaurant they dined together at because it only reminded her that he wasn’t in her life anymore and that she would never see him again. And now, now he was sitting in front of her.

Her heart fluttered, the sensation spreading throughout her entire body, as she remembered the way he had made her feel two weeks—the way he still made her feel just by looking at her. She took a deep breath, “Clark?”

He smiled, tilting his head to one side, “Hello, Lois.”

She couldn’t stop the smile from spreading out on her face, at the sound of his voice. She never thought she would hear it again. She believed that their few hours in Kansas was the last that she would ever see of him. She just couldn’t believe that he was actually here. “Wh-what are you doing here?”

He took a drink of his coffee, to hide the smile that just grew wider and wider the longer he sat here talking to her. He stared deep into her eyes, never wanting to look away from those beautiful orbs. “You know, I could ask you the same thing.”

She smirked, leaning back in her chair, and crossing her arms over her chest. “I asked you first. So, what are you doing here, Clark?”

He watched her movements and absolutely loved it when she did that. He had noticed that she did it a lot, especially when she wanted answers. “I’ve actually been here for almost two weeks now. After I left Kansas, I just drove, never stopping once until I ended up here. This is the first town I found, and I haven’t left since.”

She quirked a brow at that. She wasn’t expecting that, not in the slightest. She had got the feeling that he couldn’t or wouldn’t want to stay in one place for too long, a lot like her, but for different reasons. She figured that either he didn’t have any ideas on where to go or he just loved it here as much as she did, and that’s why he hasn’t left yet. Her heart stopped, at the thought of him leaving. She really, really hoped that he wasn’t going to leave. She didn’t want him to. “How long are you staying here?”

He hesitated. He didn’t know the answer to that, but that wasn’t the only reason he hesitated. The tone in her voice made him wonder if she wasn’t just curious but wanted to know because she wanted him to stay. His heart beat even faster, as hope consumed him. He wasn’t planning on leaving anytime soon, but now that she was here, he definitely wouldn’t be leaving. “Uh, I’m not too sure. I, um, I wasn’t planning on staying here this long, but ever since I got here I enjoyed it, and I don’t think I’ll be leaving anytime soon. I don’t want to.”

She grinned from ear to ear, at his words. He wasn’t leaving. He was staying here. She didn’t want him to go, especially not since she just got here. She didn’t know how long she wanted to stay, but as long as he was here she didn’t want to leave—she didn’t want to leave knowing he was still here. It was risky. It was stupid. She could lose everything she desperately wanted—her freedom, but she didn’t care, not anymore. If he was here, then this is where she was staying. She had missed him, and she didn’t want to say goodbye to him again, just because her fears about her father finding her tore them apart. She didn’t want that. She wanted to stay here, with him.

“What about you, Lois? What are you doing in Colorado? I mean, I know we don’t know each other very well, but I wouldn’t think you’d want to stay in another small town.”

She smiled. He knew her better than he realized. But sighed, as she recalled what happened before she came here. “Well, I lived the week from hell in Kansas, and let me tell you as much as I wanted my car fixed, I was on the verge of renting a new car just, so I could leave. It was the most miserable place I have ever been to, and I will never, ever be going back to that dreadful place.”

He laughed, “That bad, huh?”

She rolled her eyes. “You have no idea. Anyways, after I left there I planned to drive through a few states, but as soon as I got into Colorado I really liked it, more than I thought I was going to. So, instead of leaving right away, I visited a few of the towns and really started to love it here. Last night, I ended up here, and it’s really peaceful here.”

He nodded. “Yeah. Yeah, it really is.” He stared into her eyes, smiling, but it faded just as quickly, as a thought crossed his mind, and a dreadful feeling seeped into his bones. How long was she actually staying? She doesn’t like small towns, he knew that much so, did that mean she was leaving? When? Today? Tomorrow? In a week? He wanted to know. He needed to know. He didn’t want her to leave. “Ho-How long are you staying?”

She already knew the answer to that, but she couldn’t just tell him that. She might be a very voiced, and opinionated person, but she wasn’t just going to admit that she would stay as long as he was here. No way in hell could she say those words, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t tease him. “I don’t know. I wasn’t planning on staying too long, but I really like it here, and I think I just found a pretty good reason to stay a little bit longer.”

He grinned from ear to ear and leaned closer to her. He didn’t know what to say to that. She just openly flirted with him, and he couldn’t stop the way his stomach twisted in knots in anticipation. She wanted to stay longer than she planned because he was here. That filled him with so many emotions.

Hope.

Happiness.

Excitement.

He stared deep into her eyes, his feelings—his emotions radiating from them, and he could see hers shining right back at him. They felt the same way. He didn’t want her to leave. She didn’t want him to leave. Neither of them wanted to leave at all if the other was here, and that was all that mattered. He slightly tilted his head to one side, and realized something, he missed her so damn much, and now that she was here he was going to spend as much time with her as possible. “So, um, I’m guessing that since you just got here last night that you haven’t really done anything around here yet?”

She leaned closer to him, “You mean, like go sightseeing and stuff?”

He laughed, also leaning closer to her, “There is more to it than sightseeing, but yeah, have you?”

She shook her head. “So? How about it, farm boy? What is there to do in this town? I’ve been wanting to have some fun, and I’m hoping that this small-town can provide some.”

He smiled, remembering the few things that he has done so far, but they would be so, so much more fun if she was with him—if she was experiencing everything with him, as long as he could spend more time with her. “Hmmm, I think there might be a few things to do that just might interest you.”

She couldn’t wait to spend some more time with him. It was going to be fun, no matter what they did. It could be boring—it could be appalling—it could be something that she never wanted to do or see, but it didn’t matter, as long as they could do it together. She was going to spend every waking second of her time with him.

He was just smiling at her, as she patiently waited for him to elaborate, and when he didn’t she became irritable, and huffed, “Well? Are you going to tell me or not?”

He seemed to be contemplating that before smirking at her, “Or not.”

She glared.

He laughed, at the expression plastered on her beautiful face. “I have an idea…How about I show you instead?”

She grinned, loving that idea immensely. “I would love that.”

He grinned right back. “Good.” He quickly stood up, and held out his hand towards her, “Well? Are you coming or not?”

She slipped her hand into his, and they walked out of the café together, heading towards their first adventure. As they walked, hand in hand, neither of them could stop smiling at the idea of spending the day together.

So? What did you think? Loved it? Hated it? This was a little shorter than my last few chapters, but I kind of wanted this to just be about what Lois and Clark were doing since the two weeks they were apart, and even though their scenes together were kind of short, there will be more between them in the next several chapters.

I hope you enjoyed chapter eight!!!

Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Chapter Nine:

A/N: I apologize for not updating this story sooner, but I was unable to due to the passing of my grandmother yesterday, and now I have a lot to deal with. So, I apologize if I can’t get my chapters out as fast as I have been previously, but I would still expect one or two updates a week.

Cassie rushed through the corridors of the base towards her quarters, and as soon as she entered her room she slammed the door shut behind her. She leaned her back against the door, breathing heavily, and tried to squelch the multitude of thoughts that were passing through her mind.

This couldn’t be happening.

Two weeks. Two weeks ago, her life had seemed so mundane—so simple—so normal, but now, now it was in complete and utter turmoil, and has been ever since her best friend left.

Lois left two weeks ago. At first, it seemed that everything was going to remain the same, aside from the rumor mills and The General’s newfound attitude, but she was wrong, ever since she left everything had turned to hell, and she knew that it was only going to get worse as the days rolled by.

A few days after she ran away is when things began to change.

There wasn’t a single soldier or civilian that wasn’t talking about Lois’ grand disappearance. The soldiers, especially the ones who were with her in the pub that night were spreading rumors about the truth of how, why, and where she disappeared to.

It was aggravating as hell, she thought.

They didn’t know the truth of why she felt the need to leave, she did, she knew Lois better than anyone, including her own father, and she was absolutely tired of people putting in their two cents. It was none of their damn business! They didn’t know or understand what she has dealt with for most of her life, she did, and she couldn’t be even more prouder of her for doing what she believed was the right thing for her to do, even if it was making her life practically unbearable.

The General was being secretive, more so than usual, and it was making her nervous—anxious, and concerned.

Nervous of what he has already done or set into motion.

Anxious of what he was planning on doing.

Concerned for the well-being of her best friend.

He was always locked up in his office or quarters, doing and planning god knows what, and only showed his presence when it was absolutely necessary. Anyone who didn’t know him would suggest that he was mourning from his daughter’ disappearance, but she did know him, and he wasn’t mourning, she knew that for a fact, no, he was planning something—plotting a way to find Lois and bring her back.

There were now more soldiers guarding the front gates to the base, before there were two who controlled who entered and left, but now there were five soldiers guarding the gates. It was like he was preparing for World War III, which wouldn’t be too far off the mark once he found Lois, she thought.

It made absolutely no sense why he would do such a thing. How did guarding the gates to an extreme level, which has stopped people from even leaving the base, help him find Lois? She didn’t know, but she figured, that maybe he was setting up changes for when Lois did return. He was trying to make sure she would never leave again, which, of course, would only piss her off even more so than she would already be.

Wes, on the other hand, had been conventionally missing from her life ever since Lois left, and that was just plain weird. She used to see him—talk to him three to four times a day, but now, it was like she didn’t even exist in his eyes, which was unlike him. He liked her, she knew it, the feeling was obviously mutual, but now it was like he wanted nothing to do with her, and that hurt. She had only seen him once or twice in the past two weeks, and that was when he was leaving The General’s office. It wasn’t odd or unusual, but she had a feeling deep in her gut that something was going on. Something was definitely amiss.

It had to be about Lois’ vanishing act. It just had to be. There was no other explanation. The General being secretive. Wes being AWOL from her life. It was all connected. She wasn’t naïve enough to believe that it was just a coincidence that all these things were happening right after Lois had run away.

Everything was changing, and would continue to do so, but that’s not what was making her life a living hell. It was something that she had realized a few days ago.
                            She was being followed.

She wasn’t sure who, but someone was watching her every movement—her every breath, and it had to be someone in close contact with The General.

It was about Lois. She knew it. Everything has changed since she left, and this was just the topper to all the reasons why her life had become complete hell.

She slowly walked over to her bed, collapsed onto the soft, plush sheets, and softly closed her eyes.

She missed her…terribly.

None of this would be happening if she was still here. She wouldn’t be looking over her shoulder every time she got that queasy feeling. She wouldn’t be dealing with The General’s antics. She wouldn’t have to listen to people talk about Lois day in and day out. It was so different without her best friend by her side, but she understood why Lois did what she did.

Even so, she still missed her, and would continue to do so until she saw her fiery best friend again.

She hoped that she was getting everything she had dreamed of for most of her life. She hoped that she was accomplishing what she wanted in the first place. She hoped that she was happy. She hoped that she was enjoying her newfound freedom.

Her eyes snapped open, as a thought crossed her mind—a mind that was running at a mile a minute, and it made perfect sense. It explained everything that was happening. She was being followed—being watched probably ever since The General interrogated her.

She shot out of her bed, and began pacing back and forth.

He was having her followed!

Why? She didn’t know anything about where she went or where she was even planning on going so, why would he be having someone follow her? Did he think she knew something? Did he think that she would somehow lead him to Lois?

She scoffed. Yeah, over my dead body, she thought.

There was no way in hell that she would allow him to use her to find Lois. Nope! No way in hell! She would protect her best friend until she took her last breath. She would not jeopardize everything that Lois had been trying, and successfully achieving. If she wanted to be free, then she would do everything in her power to make sure she continued to stay that way, even if she desperately wanted her back in her life.

She quickly jumped out of bed, and left her room. She didn’t know how she was going to do it, but she was going to. She couldn’t confront The General, that would get her absolutely nowhere, but first things first, she needed to find out who was following her. They would give her the answers she needed in order to protect Lois, and if they didn’t then she would force them to tell her what she wanted to know.

She smirked. She wasn’t Lois’ best friend for no reason. She had learned quite a few things from her, and in this case, they would prove to be quite beneficial.

Cassie Marie Jones walked down the corridor, like a woman on a mission—a mission she fully intended on accomplishing. She would get the answers she needed—wanted for Lois’ sake.

Clark walked into the café, and stopped dead in his tracks, as his eyes roamed around the room looking—searching for one person. Lois. He sighed, when he saw her sitting in a booth across the room—the same booth they sat at every morning.

He grinned from ear to ear, as memories of the past three days flooded his mind, consumed his heart, and filled his insides with an unexplainable feeling that he only felt when was thinking about her—talking to her—spending time with her.

It had been the best three days of his life.

Ever since he first saw her again three days ago, they had spent every waking moment together, and he couldn’t wait to spend even more time with her. Before she rolled back into his life, he had no reason to get up every day—he had no reason to be happy—to even smile. Now, every morning when he wakes up, he wakes up with a smile on his face, knowing that he would be spending his entire day with her, and within thirty minutes he would be showered, dressed, and heading to have breakfast with her.

They had done so, so many things together in such a short amount of time, but he would do it all over again, as long as he got to do them with her. He would never, ever become bored of tired of spending time with her. Lois Lane could never be boring or bland. She was the complete opposite. She just made everything so, so much better—so much lighter—so much brighter.

Every night, they would have dinner together, whether it be the café or a nice restaurant, and afterwards they would drink coffee, as he walked her back to her hotel, which was conventionally the same hotel he was staying in, and that’s where he would say goodnight to her.

He frowned.

He hated that part of the night. He despised it because he couldn’t spend any more time with her—he couldn’t look upon her beautiful face—he couldn’t gaze into her dazzling hazel eyes—he just couldn’t be with her. After leaving her, he would lay in his bed for hours, reliving their day over and over again, the smile never leaving his face before he allowed sleep to consume him.

His eyes swept over her figure. He felt like he couldn’t breathe, as the air escaped his lungs, just like it did every single time he saw her. She was absolutely the most beautiful woman he has ever laid his eyes on, and he got to spend every single day with her. He grinned even wider, as that thought filled his insides with utter happiness.

He didn’t know or understand what it was about her that made him feel like this, but for some reason he couldn’t explain, he felt such a strong connection with her, and he never wanted it to disappear. He wanted to spend every day with her. He wanted to get to know who she was as a person. He wanted to spend every night with her. He just wanted her. He knew he shouldn’t feel this way about her, but he couldn’t help it, she made him feel things. She made him feel like they could do anything together.

She made him feel whole—complete—alive.

It was irrational.

It wasn’t logical.

But, it felt right, and he knew deep inside that it would always feel right with her. He wanted this, more than he’s ever wanted anything ever before, and intended on staying with her—spending time with her—being with her.

He quickly shook his thoughts away, as he started to walk over to her, and smiled at what he saw. She was drinking her coffee, eating her maple donut, and reading a newspaper. She did this every single morning. He would never tire of seeing this—seeing her every morning. He leaned close to her ear, and whispered, “Good morning.”

Lois, who was too focused on enjoying her coffee, donut, and daily newspaper didn’t even hear or feel him until he whispered into her ear, his breath lingering on the side of her neck. She practically jumped out of her chair, her hands instinctively covering her chest, as her heart jumped frantically in her chest.

He laughed, as he walked around the table, and sat down across from her.

She glared. “Jesus, Clark! Haven’t we talked about this before? I swear, one of these days you’re going to give me a damn heart attack! You need to wear a bell or something!”

He continued to laugh, at her reaction, and shrugged his shoulders.

She glared, even more so. He thought this was hilarious. It wasn’t funny. He had made it a habit of scaring the living **** out of her for the past few days, not including the first time he did it on the side of the road when they first met. She couldn’t help but chuckle, at his obvious amusement. She could never stay mad at him for too long. It was physically impossible. But, honestly, who could deny that perfect handsome face, especially when he smiled?

“So, I see you have ordered breakfast without me…again…”

She smiled even more so, and shrugged her shoulders, as she took another bite of her donut.

He groaned, playfully, as he stood up, “What am I going to do with you?” She just smiled sweetly at him, which made him roll his eyes. He walked over to the service counter. “Hey, Joslyn.”

She looked up at him, and smiled. She hadn’t seen him so happy since he arrived here, and some part of her wanted to believe that it was because of her. “Hey, Clark! I’ll get your order ready.”

“Uh, actually, can I get some maple donuts and a coffee?”

She frowned, slightly. “Okay. Um, what’s with the change this morning?”

He looked over at Lois. “No reason.”

She followed his gaze, and sighed. She had seen him with her every morning for the past few days, and she couldn’t help but feel jealous over the girl that spent all her time with such an amazing man. “So, who’s the girl you’ve been hanging out with lately?” She tried not to let her disdain show, but heard the croak in her own voice.

He looked back at her, and couldn’t stop the smile that spread over his features. “Oh. Um, that’s Lois. I met her a few weeks ago, and we just happen to be in the same town.”

She nodded. “You seem quite fond of her.”

He narrowed his eyes, slightly. Was that jealousy? No, that wasn’t possible. Why would she be jealous? He didn’t even know her. He disregarded that, as he thought about how fond he really was over her, and smiled. “Yeah. I am, um, she’s pretty amazing.”

He didn’t notice the way Joslyn’ eyes glared at Lois, practically burning holes into the back of her head. He grabbed his order, paid for it, and walked back over to Lois. They ate their breakfast in contented silence. Once they were done, he slightly tilted his head to one side, “So, what do you have planned for us today?”

She practically spit out the coffee she was drinking, and looked up at him. “What?”

He chuckled, shaking his head. “Lois…For the past three days I have shown you everything there is in this town, I have suggested what we should do, where we should eat, and now, now it’s your turn.”

She shook her head, vehemently. “Me? Why should I do it? You know this town better than me, and besides I doubt you have showed me everything.”

He scoffed. “Really? Let me think about this.” He placed his hand on his chin, pretending to think. “We have been on tourist buses, trains, and boats. We have been whitewater rafting. We have went hiking, multiple times I might add. I have showed you almost every scenery outlook there is. So, yes, we have done almost everything there is to do here. And I picked out all of those things, by the way, and it has nothing to do with how much I know about this town, which isn’t much so, what’s it going to be? We are not leaving this table until you make a decision.”

She smirked, leaning closer to him. “Is that a threat, Mr. Kent? You can’t make me do anything.”

He grinned, folding his hands, and resting his chin atop them. “I wouldn’t be so sure about that, Miss Lane.”

She groaned. She forgot about his abilities. Why did he always use that against her? She knew he would never do anything to hurt her, but he would definitely outsmart her with the knowledge that he could beat her at anything. She glared. “You’re an ass, you know that?”

He grinned, even wider, and completely ignored that comment. “I’m waiting…What are we doing today, Lois?”

She sighed. She knew she would never get out of this one. He would badger her and badger her until she gave in. She thought for a few seconds, and realized that in a matter of three days, they had done a lot of things. An idea popped into her head, and she smiled. She had been wanting to go there since she first heard about it. “Uh, what about The Stanley Hotel? I’ve heard some good things about it.”

He frowned. “Are you talking about that fancy red and white hotel up the hill from here?”

She nodded.

Why the hell would she want to go there for? He narrowed his eyes at her. “Why do you want to go there?”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. I’ve heard some people talking about it, and that it’s the number one tourist site in this town. I guess it’s rumored to be haunted.” She scoffed, softly rolling her eyes, “But, I don’t buy that for a second.” She looked up at him, “So? Do you want to go?”

He really didn’t see the point of visiting some random hotel, but didn’t see the harm in it, and besides he couldn’t help but want to tease her just a little bit. He leaned back in his chair. “Oh, I don’t know. I mean, it’s just a hotel, but I think that the only reason you want me to come along is because your scared.”

She glared. “I’m not scared. Lanes don’t get scared. We do happy. We do sad, but definitely not scared.”

He smirked, as he sneaked his hand under the table, and grabbed her ankle. “You’re scared that the little ghosts are gonna come out and getcha!”

She yelped, startled when he grabbed her ankle, and then glared at him. She threw her empty coffee cup at him. “Don’t do that!”

He laughed.

She glared, harder than before.

He smirked, enjoying teasing her…immensely. “Oh, come on, Lois. Admit it. You’re scared, and the only reason you want me there is, so I can protect you.” He knew that comment would irritate the living **** out of her.

She huffed. “I. Am. Not. Scared.”

He nodded. “Sure, you aren’t.”

She rolled her eyes at him. He was completely unbelievable, she thought. She pointed her finger at him. “It’s the truth, and by the way mister, that was twice in less than an hour that you’ve startled me this morning. What is with you today?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “I’m just in a good mood, and it is so, so much fun riling you up.”

She rolled her eyes. She would get him back if it was the last thing she did.

He quickly stood up. “So? Are you coming or not, scaredy cat?”

She was done, completely and utterly fed up with his antics this morning. “That’s it!” She growled at him, before jumping from the table, and chased him out the café. They both couldn’t stop laughing the entire way.

A few hours later, they were walking side by side through the grounds of The Stanley Hotel, and were astounded by the beauty that surrounded them. It was like nothing either of them had ever seen before.

They had walked throughout most of the massive hotel, including the two-side buildings, just enjoying the scenery, but they mostly enjoyed the things they had learned. At first, they had decided that they just wanted to walk around and enjoy themselves, but within five minutes of being here they were invited to join the tourist ghost tour. It was educational. It was fun, but most of all, it was a thrilling experience. They had learned about the history of the buildings, and why, when and how they came to be haunted. Lois was skeptical, of course, but Clark on the other hand couldn’t stop himself from teasing her even more than he already was, which caused Lois to continuously roll her eyes throughout the entire tour.

The most profound story that had captured both of their attention was about a maid who had lived and worked there her entire life. One day, she was in her room, room 217 when a gas chamber exploded and put her in the hospital for weeks. It was believed that it was caused from supernatural occurrences, which both of them doubted, but even after her experience she decided to stay there, and even died there. It was rumored that she was the ‘spirit’ that haunted that room, and it was the most visited room in the hotel.

Afterwards, they had snuck upstairs to the hotel rooms, even though it was prohibited, but that was the fun of it. They walked through all four levels, and even read the plaques that were nailed to each supposedly haunted room, and even gave a description about the ‘spirits’ that resided in and haunted the rooms. On the fourth floor, which was where the children ‘spirits’ resided, there was a white door, leading to what probably used to be an attic, and the words, ‘REDRUM’ were written on it in red paint. They both had chuckled, remembering from their tour that this hotel was the inspiration for a movie called, ‘The Shining’ a movie neither of them had bothered watching, but were now intrigued to watch.

After laughing, joking, and making fun of the ghost stories they had made their way back outside, where they found a small maze directly in front of the hotel, and walked through it. They walked through the grounds, mesmerized by everything they had seen, heard, and learned until they came across a small white bench, and sat down.

They watched as people rushed back and forth holding flowers, decorations, and prepared for what looked like a wedding. It was beautiful here, and seemed like the perfect place for a wedding, especially for tourists.

Lois looked over at him, after a few minutes of contended silence. “It’s beautiful here, isn’t it?”

He nodded. “Yeah, it really is. I can’t believe they actually do weddings here.”

She smirked, hearing the confusion in his voice. “What’s wrong Clark? Don’t think it’s romantic enough or do you just not like weddings or marriage altogether?”

He grinned, as he turned to look at her. “No. It’s not that. I think it’s very romantic, and probably very expensive too, but I don’t know, I just don’t think I could see myself getting married in a place like this, you know?”

She cocked a brow at him. “Really? Why not? What’s there not to like? A beautiful town with beautiful scenery, and it’s outside.” She studied him for a second. “Ah, I see, let me guess you’ve always pictured your wedding to be in a barn or something?” She rolled her eyes, “So romantic.”

He chuckled. “No, not in a barn, but probably a church or something.”

She smirked. “So, you have thought about getting married one day.”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Yeah, I mean, I guess I’ve thought about it before, and one day I’d like to find a beautiful woman, marry her, and have children with her, but it’s not something I really like to think about, unlike you woman who dream about the day you’ll walk down the aisle.”

She scoffed, and glared at him, playfully. “I don’t.” He gave her a questioning look. “I’m serious. I’ve never thought about my wedding day, wedding dress, or anything wedding related, especially not the man I’d imagine marrying. I just don’t see marriage in the future for me.”

He frowned. “Why would you say that? Everyone should want to get married at least some time in their lives.”

She shrugged her shoulders. “I never said I didn’t want to, one day, but honestly my life is way too complicated. I want to travel. I want to go to college. I want to build a career as a journalist one day so, marriage is the last thing on my mind, besides I highly doubt that if I ever wanted to any guy could handle my brash personality, my lifestyle, and I’m just too high-strung for anyone to stick around for too long. Trust me, I know so, no, I don’t see marriage in my future.”

He frowned. He didn’t like the way she was talking about herself. It was like she felt like she wasn’t special enough for someone to care about or love her, which was just outrageously stupid. She was a beautiful woman. She was incredible. She cared more than anyone he has ever met. She might be a little eccentric at times, but honestly, that was what he liked most about her. Any guy would be lucky to end up with her, hell, he would be lucky to ever end up with a girl like her. He stared straight into her eyes. “I don’t believe that. I think that someone out there will love everything there is about you, and will do everything in his power to be with you forever.”

She grinned. “That was incredibly sappy.”

He rolled his eyes. He knew she didn’t believe him, but figured one day she would figure that out for herself. He knew that one day she would find someone that could and would accept her for who she is, which was an amazing person, who deserved happiness. “Yeah. Yeah. Whatever. Sue me for being romantic.”

They both chuckled, at the direction their conversation had gone, of course, they were watching wedding preparations taking place. They watched for several more minutes, in comfortable silence before deciding to go get some dinner.

After dinner, they were walking towards their hotel, both enjoying a cup of coffee. They had gone to a small, quaint restaurant a lot like the one they went to in Kansas, and both enjoyed the delicious food, and even shared a chocolate mousse cake. He smirked, as he watched her practically inhale her coffee. “You know, if you actually took time to enjoy that, you might not need so much caffeine every day.”

She glared, and punched him in the shoulder. “Watch it, farm boy! I need caffeine, and look who’s talking, you drink just about as much as I do.”

He shook his head. “Yeah, but I don’t inhale it like it’s going out of style.”

She glared. “Shut up!”

They walked in comfortable silence, and they both could see their hotel coming into view. They slowed their steps, knowing they would have to say goodnight soon, and neither wanted that to happen yet. This happened every single night, and neither of them wanted to leave each other…not yet, they were having too much fun with each other.

As they walked, Lois felt the cold night breeze brush across her bare shoulders, and involuntarily shivered. She slowly wrapped her arms around her body, hoping that Clark wouldn’t notice, but also trying to keep herself warm.

He watched, from the corner of his eye, as she shivered and tried to hide it from him. He rolled his eyes. What was with this girl? She always did this. Every night, they would walk together, and she would get cold, but wouldn’t say anything. He didn’t think twice before he stepped closer to her, and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, effectively pulling her into his side.

Her entire body froze. She had no idea what to do. He was so close to her that she could smell his after shave. His body was pressed against hers, and it felt so good—too good. She wanted to pull away, but he was so warm, and she really, really enjoyed being this close to him. She snuggled closer into his side, and wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging herself to him.

He smiled down at her, knowing she couldn’t see him, and began to rub soothing circles on her arm. He could feel how cold she was, and wanted to warm her up, but also was enjoying the feel of her skin against his.

She sighed, happily, at the feel of him rubbing her arm, and laid her head on his shoulder. He was so warm. She wanted to stay like this forever, in his embrace, and bask in the feeling of being so close to him.

A few minutes later, they arrived at their hotel, and very reluctantly, and slowly untangled themselves from each other.

She felt the loss of his heat—of him immediately, and instantly wanted back in his arms. She really, really didn’t want this night to end yet. She looked up at him. “I-I had fun today.”

He nodded. “Yeah, me too.”

They stared at each other, their eyes meshing together, and their hearts beating in synchrony. They didn’t want to say goodnight. They didn’t want to leave each other. They just wanted to spend the entire night together.

He softly sighed. He was going to have to say the words to her, but he didn’t want to. It was getting harder and harder every single night. The more time he spent with her, the longer he wanted their days and nights to last, which only complicated things further. He softly smiled, as an idea popped into his mind. It would mean that they could spend more time together, but would she want to? He took a deep breath, “I, um, a-are you tired?”

She shook her head, not able to say the words out loud. She didn’t want him to go yet. She didn’t want to go back to her room, just to stay up for hours thinking about their day like she did every night. She just wanted to spend more time with him.

He grinned. “Yeah, me either. Um, do-do you want to do something?”

She grinned up at him. He didn’t want their night to end either. That thought thrilled her immensely, and she couldn’t wait to spend the rest of the night with him. “What would you like to do?”

He smiled down at her. He really hoped that she would want to do this. “I think I have an idea.”

So? What did you think? Hated it? Loved it? I enjoyed writing this chapter, a lot. It was fun having them tease each other, especially Clark teasing her about The Stanley Hotel. I wanted to include that, because I thought it would cool to have some realistic place in this story. Everything that they did I actually experienced when I visited Estes Park a few years back, which is also the reason I have them there right now. But unlike our lovely characters, I actually do believe in the ghosts and such. I thought it would be kind of cool to bring that aspect into this chapter.

I hope you enjoyed chapter nine!!!

Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Lois is a stubborn one, isn't she? There is such a thing as being too independent for your own good. I like that they're both falling slowly.

As for the little excursion to the hotel, I'm with you. I do believe in ghosts, and I loved the fact that you included your little trip to the haunted hotel. It makes it more real.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz
                                Lois is a stubborn one, isn't she? There is such a thing as being too independent for your own good. I like that they're both falling slowly.

As for the little excursion to the hotel, I'm with you. I do believe in ghosts, and I loved the fact that you included your little trip to the haunted hotel. It makes it more real.
                                Yes i definitely agree. I wanted them to fall slowly, but also be aware of what their feeling for each other. I have read so many stories where they fall in love so quickly, and in my opinion that's not realistic, but in some cases it can work.

When i first started planning this story, i always wanted them to be in Estes Park because i had such an amazing time there, and wanted to include a little bit of what i experienced within this story. I was a little nervous about including it since i've never seen it done before, but i'm glad you liked it

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎