A Summer In Love

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Summer In Love

A Summer in Love

Summary: Two lone souls running from their pasts. One wants to be free. Another wants to escape. They meet in the most unexpected way, and find solace in each other, but how long can that happiness last?

Rating: Mostly T, but M for later chapters (Will Post in appropriate folder)

Pairing: Clark and Lois (Obviously) 😊 😊

Setting: This takes place during the summer between season two and three. There will be time jumps later.

Disclaimer: I OWN NOTHING! But I wish I did 😊

Prologue

The moon shined brightly in the night sky, cascading over the small-town of Kansas. The farm animals were resting, soundlessly in the darkness that surrounded them. The cool breeze brushed throughout the tress and corn fields. It was a clear night, like so many other nights, there wasn’t a single cloud in sight, and it seemed to be just a normal night in Smallville. It wasn’t. The ambience in one household was anything but normal. In a yellow farmhouse, miles away from the town square was shrouded in utter darkness. What was once a happy, loving, high-spirited household was now filled with nothing, nothing but the pain, guilt, and sadness of one loving couple.

A husband and wife were in complete, utter, turmoil. They were grieving for the life they lost, but most of all they were grieving for their only son. Their son, who was now gone, gone from their lives, and they just wanted him to come home.

They were sheathed in darkness, as they sat on the kitchen floor, drowning in their sorrow.

He held his trembling wife, cradling her body into his chest, whispering soothing words in her ear, but knew it was going on deaf ears. She had lost hope. He knew that, but he wouldn’t believe it, not for a second. He softly kissed her forehead, “It’s going to be okay, Martha.”

“No. No, it’s not. J-Jonathon our boy, our baby boy, is gone. He left. Why? Why did he do this? Why did he leave?” Her words barely croaked out, her voice filled with so much pain, as she spoke into his chest.

He breathed deeply, in and out, in and out. He felt the burning sensation behind his eyes and willed himself not to let the tears fall. His wife needed him. He had to be strong for her, for their son, and for himself.

“He will come home.” He spoke with such confidence, way more than he was actually feeling.

She heard the conviction in his voice, slightly pulled away from him, and gazed into his beautiful blue eyes, “How do you know?”

He swallowed, roughly, at the expression on her face. He didn’t know how to answer that. He didn’t know, but he believed, and that’s the only thing that was keeping him together. “I don’t know. I believe our son will come home. He will, Martha.”

She shook her head, vehemently, tears pouring down her cheeks, “No, he won’t. He’s gone. He blames himself, Jonathon. Why would he ever come back?”

He remained silent. Whatever he said, would fall on deaf ears, and he didn’t know how to soothe her. He wanted to be there for her, but, how could he? He didn’t know where he was, what he was doing, or if he was even alright.

As the night rolled on, Martha fell asleep in his arms, and he carried her to bed. He stared down at his wife. “He will come home,” he whispered before walking out of the room.

As he sat in the living room, head in his hands, and eyes closed, he thought about that horrendous day. The day his son left. Their words to each other ringing in his ears.

He was visiting his wife, who was now in the hospital, when Clark showed up.

“How is she?”

“Doctors don’t know yet…What did you do, Clark?”

“I stole Lionel’s kryptonite key. I put it in the ship.”

“And why did you do that?”

“Dad, I lied about the voice…it did come back. It told me I had to leave by noon. I didn’t have a choice, dad. I had to destroy the ship.”

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

“I knew you wouldn’t agree with what I did. Dad, I didn’t want it to take me away from you. I’m so sorry for what I did.”

“Your actions have consequences, Clark! Didn’t your mother and I ever teach you that?”

“Yes, but—”

“There’s no time for excuses, Clark. It’s too late. You didn’t think this thing through! You had no idea what was going to happen, and now…now your mother is lying in a hospital bed.”

He heard, as his son tried to explain, tried to make him understand, tried to say anything that would have helped, but he couldn’t listen. He turned away from him, going back to his wife, and slamming the door behind him. If he would have looked back, he would have seen the hurt expression that was plastered on his face. He would have seen the pain and guilt that consumed his son, but he didn’t, and without knowing, he lost his son that day.

He shook his head, not able to stop the tears falling down his cheeks. It was his fault. His son left because he was so wrapped up in his own grief that he couldn’t see that his son was hurt, was in pain, was blaming himself. And it was all his fault.

He slumped against the couch cushions, staring up at the ceiling. Please. Please, come home son.

Pete pulled up to the Kent farmhouse, stopping his truck outside of the barn, and quickly rushed inside, grabbing what he needed for his plan to work.

Over the past week, he had spent his time searching for anything that could help him find his best friend, and what he found chilled him to the bone. He knew. As soon as he read the article, he knew that he had to be on red kryptonite. It was the only answer.

He made his way out of the barn, and contemplated on telling the Kent’s, but decided against it. They were in so much pain already, and he didn’t want to add to it. He needed to do this alone. It was better for everyone.

He was about to get into his truck, when Mr. Kent’s voice rung out from behind him, “Pete? What are you doing here?”

He slowly turned towards him, pocketing what he took in the process, “I, um, was looking for something that could help me find Clark.” He lied.

“Did you find anything? We searched the whole loft, and found nothing amiss, except my motorcycle.”
    Obviously not everything. He thought, knowing Clark had red kryptonite on him.

“Thank you, Pete. I know you’ve been looking for him. Have you found anything? Anything that could help me find my son?”

He knew he deserved to know, but he couldn’t risk it. He couldn’t allow Clark to hurt anyone, but maybe he could give him a half truth. “I think-I think he’s in Metropolis, sir.”

He smiled, the first smile in a week, “Well, what are we waiting for? Let’s go get my son.”

He sighed. He would have to tell him more than he wanted to. “We can’t, or you can’t, but I want you to know that I’m going to bring him home.”

“What do you mean I can’t?”

He sighed. “He’s on red kryptonite.”

His face turned pale white, his eyes widened to the size of saucers, like he was realizing something, and darted into the barn. He followed him, and watched as he rummaged through Clark’s drawers until he banged his fists onto the table, “DAMMIT!”

“What is it?”

He turned towards him, “The class ring. It’s gone.”

Well, that made things easier, he thought.

“I’m coming with you. It’s time I bring my son home.”

“No! No, I can’t let you do that.”

He glared. “Why the hell not? This is my son we are talking about! This is my fault! If he’s in Metropolis then I’m going with you, and dragging his ass back to Smallville!”

“I’m sorry, but that is not a good idea. You know what he’s like on red meteor rock. He will say things, do things that will hurt you, and I can’t let that happen. I’m going to bring him home.”

He seemed to be contemplating that. “No! What if he hurts you? No. I’m coming with you.”

He stood taller, his tone holding no exceptions, “He won’t, sir. I know that he is your son, but I’m his best friend, and I need to do this. I knew. I knew he was behaving weird after…” he let the sentence finish itself before continuing, “I promise I won’t leave Metropolis until I’ve found him.”

He stared at the kid he has known for years, the kid that has been so supportive of Clark, and knew he could do this. He nodded. He started walking away, but stopped, “I promise. I’ll bring your son home.” And with that he left the Kent farm.

As he drove down the roads of Smallville, he wondered if he should have told Mr. Kent his plan. He shook his head. No. He would have tried to either stop him or come with him, and he couldn’t have that. This was the only way. He accelerated his speed, a new determination surging through his veins. He was going to bring his best friend home, back to where he belongs.

Jonathon walked back into the house, and restarted the dying fire. He knew Pete could do this, if there was anyone that Clark trusted more than anyone, it was him. He just hoped Clark didn’t hurt him, he would never forgive himself if he did. He sighed. He still had hope. He knew Martha didn’t, but that would all change by tomorrow. Tomorrow his son would be home, and they would deal with this as a family. He stared into the roaring fire, and waited, waited for the moment that his son would walk through that front door.

So? What did you think? Love it? Hated it? Should I just throw this out the window? I know it’s not much to go on, but I wanted to show how Martha is feeling, like all hope is gone without Clark. How Jonathon blamed himself, but I especially wanted Pete to be the one to confront Clark, not Chloe, like in the show.
    I hoped you enjoyed the prologue!!!
    Until next time 😊
    Last edited by Winchesters1967; 08-20-2018, 09:04 PM.

Nice start. Curious to see what changes you will make. PPMS

Comment

This sounds interesting, look forward to read more!

Comment

This is now updated! I realized that I posted my rough draft, and had to go back and fix a few things. Thanks.

Comment

Chapter One:

Her hazel eyes shined brightly in the dimmed room, defiance and challenge radiating from them, as she looked at the three men sitting opposite of her. “Drink up, boys.”

They all glared at her, “You first, Lane.”

She rolled her eyes. They did this almost weekly, and they still haven’t learned. She downed the three shots, closing her eyes, as the cool contents slithered down her throat. When she opened her eyes, she saw the looks of bewilderment plastered on their faces, and smirked.

One man, in his early twenties, downed the three shots, and had an expression of pure satisfaction etched on his rigid features before his eyes rolled back, and he slumped to the ground.

One down, two to go, she thought.

The second man, older and gruffer looking, downed the shots, and grinned from ear to ear before he turned green, and jetted from the table, obviously to go throw up.

That only leaves one more, she thought.

She looked over at the last man standing. Of course, it would be him, she thought. He downed the three shots, then smirked at her. “Is that the best you got?”

She glared at him.

“Is that fear of losing I sense on your beautiful face?”

“Oh, Wes, do you not know me at all? I don’t give up or do you not remember the first time we drank together?”

He growled softly at her. He obviously didn’t want to remember the splitting headache, and gash he was awarded from trying to kiss her. “Bring it on, Lo, because you, my friend, are going down!”

She smirked before calling out, her eyes never leaving his, “Hey, Billy! Three more shots each!”

“Lane, don’t you think you should stop?”

She looked over at him, smirking, “Oh, come on, live a little.” She saw the terrified look in his eyes, “Don’t tell me that your scared of the general. Have some fun, and pour the shots.”

He nodded, and begin pouring the shots.

“Don’t even think about it, soldier.”

She groaned, dropping her head into her hands, as her father’s gruff voice reverberated off the walls. He was always ruining her fun.

The men quickly stood, standing at attention, and averted their eyes from him.

Pansies! She thought.

“Now, does someone want to explain to me what is going on here?”

Silence.

He glared at all his men. “Get out of my sight! We have a meeting at 0500 sharp!”

All the men scurried out of the room, giving her sympathetic looks.

Wes started to get up, but the general placed his hand on his shoulder, “Wes, mind telling me why your drinking with my underage daughter? Especially when your barely legal?”

He paled.

“Leave him alone. He didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Really? Then why is he the one drinking with you?

She stood up, facing her father head on, “Because I challenged him to do it! Come on, daddy, we were just having a little fun.”

He scowled at her before turning towards Wes, “We don’t have time for fun. At ease, soldier.”

He quickly rushed out of the room.

She growled, “Why do you always have to ruin everything?”

He glared. “Don’t get smart with me, Lois.”

She was about to retort, but he grabbed her arm, and forcefully pulled her outside.

“OWW!” She ripped her arm out of his grasp, rubbing the soreness away. “What the hell was that for?”

He ignored that. “What do you think you’re doing? I don’t have time for this! I spend all day watching over my men, I can’t add you to that list.”

“What a shocker? You’d rather be a general to your men than a father to your own daughter!”

“I don’t have time for civilian chivalries. I have a job to do, men to protect, and a world to save. You know what my job entails, Lo.”

“Yeah, which means more to you than being a father!”

He growled at her, “I don’t have time to watch over you.”

“I don’t need to be watched over!”

“Really? I think otherwise.”

“But you won’t,” She whispered. The alcohol making her say things, she always thought of saying, but never had before.

“What was that?”

She rolled her eyes, “Nothing, general. Are we done here?”

He glared. “Not even close. Now, what the hell do you think you’re doing?”

“It’s called having fun, you should try it some time.”

“Don’t get smart with me. You need to buck up, and start acting your age!”

She scoffed, “What? Like a rebellious, defiant teenager? That is what I’m doing!”

“I’ve raised you better than this.”

She wanted to laugh at that absurd statement, knowing he didn’t raise her at all, and glared at the man. “You didn’t raise me at all! I raised myself! Or did you forget how you tossed both me and Lucy to the side after mom died!”

“Don’t bring your mother into this!”

She smirked, “What, dad? Can’t face the facts? Are you pissed that I’m drinking or that you can’t control me anymore?”

He stood his ground, “I will send you to military school, if you don’t stop acting like an immature five-year old!”

“You wouldn’t!”

“Don’t test me, Lois. I will not hesitate to send you away just like Lucy.”

She gaped at her father, “You what? You told me you sent her away for a better education because she was smart!”

“She was six, Lois, how smart could she have really been? I couldn’t afford to watch over both of you.”

She glared. “Then send me away! It’s what you do best! You send your men on missions, not really caring if they come back. You send Lucy away, and now your threatening to do the same to me. Do it! I dare you! Send your only daughter away!”

He glared. “Drop the attitude, Lo. One more outburst, and you’re off to military school, is that clear?”

She felt a million and one barbs on her tongue, but he quickly turned away from her, stopping her from saying anything more. She glared at him, burning imaginary holes into the back of his head, as he walked away.

Nope! No way in hell!

She stormed off to her room, not even acknowledging the soldiers passing her smiles and reassuring looks, she was too pissed off to care.

She wasn’t going to be subjected to his scrutiny any longer! If he wanted her gone, then she would be gone. It might not be what he had in mind, but she didn’t care. She wasn’t going to military school. No way in hell! He would have to find her first.

She started throwing her things into a duffel bag. She was leaving. She didn’t know where she was going, but as long as it wasn’t here, stuck under his thumb.

As she packed her things, rushing from her bathroom back to the bedroom, her best friend, Cassie walked into the room. “Where’s the fire, Lo?”

She ignored her.

Cassie grabbed her shoulders, making her stop, “Lois, seriously, what’s going on?”

“I’m leaving.”

She let go of her shoulders, “What? Why?”

She continued packing her things, “I’m done. I’m done with the general.”

“Your father?”

She stopped and looked at her best friend, “He is not my father. We might be related by blood, but I’m just a soldier to him, not his daughter.”

“Lo, you need to think about this! Is this because he caught you drinking? That’s not the first time, and we both know that it won’t be the last.”

“He threatened to send me to military school, can you believe that? I won’t let that happen. He wants me gone, so, I’ll be gone.”

Cassie watched, sadly, as she finished packing her things. “There’s no changing your mind, is there?”

She saw the hurt and sadness in her eyes, “No, I’m sorry, Cas. I love you, but I can’t stay here.”

“You know he will look for you.”

She nodded. “Look, there is something I need you to do. He will come to you first, he knows we are close, so…” She trailed off.

“I won’t say anything.”

She smiled, “You sure you can handle the Lane interrogation?”

“I’m your best friend, or am I not?”

She laughed before pulling her into a hug, “I’ll miss you.”

“I’ll miss you too.”

Later that night, after everyone was sleeping, she crept over to her car, and drove away from the base. She didn’t know where she was going, but she couldn’t stay here any longer. She knew he would find her, and probably ship her off to military school, but at least she could be free…for now. She accelerated her speed, wanting to get further and further away from her father, and never looked back.

Kal grinned from ear to ear, as he walked down the darkened streets of Metropolis. He breathed in the smoggy air, and felt the cool air brushing across his skin. Life was great!

As he turned the corner, he saw the throng of people waiting in line to get entrance into the best club in Metropolis. Atlantis. He walked past them all, nodded at Mike, the bouncer, and walked right in.

He smirked, as he heard the protests from the people behind him, and thought, only if they knew.

He loved this feeling. He relished in it. He loved being able to do whatever he wanted, when he wanted, and there was no one that could stop him. They could try, he thought, but they wouldn’t succeed.

He walked past the dancing crowd, and took his seat at the bar. This seat was always open, it was like it had an imaginary sign reading ‘Reserved for Kal’.
          “Yo, Toni! I’ll take a double!”

Toni, the bartender, who worked here every night looked up at him, and smiled. “Well, if it isn’t Kal himself. I was wondering where my favorite customer was.”

He took his shot.

“So, why are you late? You know, I’ve gotten used to your nightly chats. I was wondering when you would greet us with your presence.”

“I was…preoccupied.”

“Yeah I bet. Let me guess, a tall beautiful dame caught your attention?”

He nodded.

He placed his hands on his chest, feigning hurt. “I thought I meant more to you. I’m hurt, Kal.”

He grinned, “Oh, I’m sorry to hurt your feelings, but when the ladies call, I come.”

“Don’t I know it. So, tell me, where is this beautiful woman?”

He smirked, “What woman? You know me, I got what I wanted, now I’m here, ready to have some fun.”

He poured him another shot. He downed it before smirking. “So, what do you have for me tonight?”

He searched the crowds, “Well, let’s see, we have blondes, red heads, brunettes. What would you prefer? There’s a whole menu tonight.”

He shrugged his shoulders. He didn’t really care, as long as he filled his nightly quota.

“I think you’re on someone’s menu tonight.” He nodded his head, and Kal turned to see a table across the room. Three beautiful blondes were laughing and giggling as they stole glances at him. Mhmm, they were quite beautiful, he thought.

He turned back around.

“What? Not interested? Your failing, my friend. Why not go over there, and work your magic?”

He grinned, pointing to his glass. “Why should I? It’s not like they don’t like what they see, besides the woman come to me, not the other way around.”

He took his shot. “But, you can send them a bottle of your most expensive drink.”

“Which girl?”

He looked back over at them, eyeing them all. “Just put it on the table, and let’s watch the cat fight start. It doesn’t matter, because I’ll be dancing with every one of them before the night ends.”

He did so. “You know, your one cocky son of a *****?”

“Yeah, that is true, but it works for me, does it not?”

He shook his head, “I don’t know how you do it, but you do, and I envy you for that.”

He grinned. He supposed, that the men would envy him, he had the woman here wrapped around his fingers.

“Well, your plan seemed to work. Here’s one now. Good luck.”

“Don’t need it.” He grinned, as he waited, and felt her presence behind him before she softly trailed her hand down his arm.

He looked down at her hand then up to her face. “What can I do for you, beautiful?”

She showed the bottle, setting it down on the counter. “How about a drink?”

He poured them shots, and they took them. He turned towards her, and swept his eyes up and down her slender body. Grinning at what he saw. She sure was scrumptious.

She wrapped her hands around his arms. “Like what you see?”

He looked up at her. “Mhmm. You know it, baby.”

She moved closer to him, her body only inches away from his. God, he loved woman, and they seemed to love him, and he just ate up the attention they gave him. It was a major edge to his growing ego. “So, sexy, now that you have me, what do you plan on doing?”

“I have a few ideas.”

“Mind sharing?”

“I think I’ll just show you.” She trailed her hands up his arms, down his chest, and rested them on his abdomen. “God. You sooo muscular. Do you work out, handsome?”

He stopped himself from rolling his eyes. Every night. Every night, he heard that line, and it was getting old. Did they seriously think that worked? Sure, it boosted a man’s ego, but for him, it just irritated him. He gripped her waist, yanking her closer to him. “Yeah…something like that.”

She leaned close to him, practically purring in his ear before gently biting his lobe, “How about a dance?”

“Whatever the lady wants.”

He dragged her to the dancefloor, the upbeat music ringing in his ears, and pulled her close to his body. He wrapped his arms loosely around her waist, enjoying the feel of her body against his, and grinned when she wrapped her arms around his neck, her head resting on his shoulder. Their bodies moved in sync to the music.

As they danced, she slowly rubbed her backside against him, making him bite back a groan. He gripped her hips, pushing her harder against him, making her moan. He grinned. He loved it when they did that, god, they were so easy. He moved her hair to one side, before he kissed, bit, and licked her neck. She moaned again before pushing back against him again. He growled. “You’re being very, very bad.”

She twisted her head to look up at him, “Only for you.”

They continued dancing, their hips moving in time to the beat of the music.

As the song was coming to an end, he noticed a tall, beautiful red-haired woman standing at the bar. His eyes took her in. She was beautiful, by herself, and his next victim. He looked down at the girl in his arms. He danced with her, now he was bored with her. He untangled himself from her, “Thanks for the dance, love.” And walked away, ignoring her protests.

He walked with absolute confidence towards the beautiful woman. The night was still young, and he was only getting started.

A few hours later, he was sitting at the bar downing another shot. He had already danced with several woman, all wanting him to take them home, but before they could have asked he walked away. He wasn’t looking for one-night stands. Of course, sex with a beautiful woman was intriguing, but he knew they would expect more than he was willing to grant. Woman were emotional rollercoasters, and no way in hell was he going to get caught in one of their traps.

He took another shot. He didn’t really understand why he kept drinking, it’s not like it affected him. He glanced down at the red ring, and supposed, that the red now running through his veins just made everything so, so much more fun.

“Aw, don’t tell me that your done already?”

He mock glared. “What do you take me for, Toni? The night is still young, trust me, I’m not even close to being done. I have my eyes on plenty more woman, who need to be swept off their feet.”

He stared at him, curiously, causing Kal to glare at the man. “What?”

“Nothing. It’s just, well, I’m just curious about something.”

“Hmm?”

“Why don’t you ever take the woman home with you? I mean, I understand you not wanting them to get attached, but why not have a good lay, and throw em out?”

“Does your wife know you talk like that?”

“Shut up!”

He tilted his head, “Why though? You know as well as I do, that if you asked, they would come running after you like a dog in heat.”

He smirked, “They already do that.”

“Your deflecting, Kal.” He was thoughtful for a few seconds, “You know what I think?”

“No, but you’re going to tell me.”

He ignored that sarcastic barb. “I think you have or had a girl back home, and you feel guilty about taking them home so, you don’t.”

He laughed, a laugh full of coldness. “There is no girl. There will never be a girl. I don’t have time for romance, my friend. I just want to have fun, and that’s exactly what I plan on doing.”

“What’s so wrong about having a beautiful girl to come home to?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “There isn’t, but that’s just not me. Besides, this is rich coming from the guy who has a lady waiting for him at home.” He smirked. “And I’ve seen your girl, and what a girl she is.”

He glared, which caused Kal to throw up his hands in surrender. “I’m just not interested in the whole falling in love with the first beautiful girl that shows me interest, trust me, I’ve been down that road before.”

His brows rose in query, but didn’t comment on that. “Your incorrigible, you know that?”

“Face it, Toni. Your nights would be, oh, so lonely without me around to bug you every night.”

He nodded. “Yeah, you are right about that. Just don’t go disappearing on me now. I look up to our nightly chats.”

“Well, I don’t plan on going anywhere.”

He grinned, shaking his head before walking away to serve other customers, who were getting antsy at the way he kept pouring Kal more shots. It sucks to be them, he thought. He downed the shot, closing his eyes, as the contents spilled down his throat. He groaned, as he heard a familiar voice from behind him. “Oh, I wouldn’t be too sure about that.”

One week. He lasted one, long, blissful week before his old life came crashing into his new and improved one. He slowly spun around, facing none other than, Pete Ross. “Why am I not surprised?” He looked around, looking for other party crashers, “I figured the cavalry would send you, but I am quite shocked not to see the old man himself.” He smirked. “Was he too scared? So, he sent you instead?”

He shook his head, at his friend’s words. He really was different while on this stuff. “Clark, I’ve been looking for you for a week, and what do I find? You, partying it up? Women? Alcohol? Really?”

He smirked, as he looked around the club. “Oh? This? It’s called having fun. You know what fun is right? Oh…wait, you wouldn’t because your too busy being stuck in Nowheresville.”

“Nowheresville? Seriously? Smallville is your home.”

He laughed. “Home? Your joking, right? I don’t have a home.”

“You’re not acting yourself. You know, deep inside, that Smallville is your home.”

He quirked an eyebrow. “On the contrary, my friend. You see, I’ve never felt more like myself. Smallville is so…small, and pathetic. Just like the people that live there.”

He recoiled back from his words, but stood his ground, he knew he was just trying to get under his skin. “And Metropolis?”

He sighed. “Hmm. Metropolis. Metropolis is…great. It’s big, the air is refreshing, and the people mind their own damn business. I can see a future here.”

“Your future, huh? Well, it’s a good thing that this is the present because you’re not ready for the big city.”

He growled. “You think you know me? You don’t! No one does!”

“Clark, it’s time for you to go back to your life.”

“My life? What? You mean, living on a farm? Doing chores? Going to school? That isn’t a life. This is my new life, and I plan to enjoy every second of it.”

“Doing what? Hitting on women? Drinking? That isn’t a life. Having friends, family, and loved ones with you is a life, not this.”

He stood up, clearly trying to ignore him.

“Come on, Clark. Just go home to your family. We all miss you.”

He scoffed, “Yeah right. I don’t have a family, not anymore, actually I never did.”

“What the hell are you taking about?”

“You don’t get it, do you? I’ve never had a family. I had people who took care of the alien they found in a cornfield!”

“Clark! What the hell is your problem, man?”

He smirked. “Problem? I don’t have one, but if you don’t stop pestering me than we are definitely going to have a problem.”

“Never gonna happen.”

He ignored him, and started walking away, but was stopped by his hand wrapped around his arm. He glared down at his hand. “Get. Your. Hand. Off. Me.”

He released him. “Just come home.”

“Yeah, that’s not happening. You see, I love my life now. I love Metropolis. I love the women, oh, the woman, they are sooo exquisite. I’m not going anywhere.”

“This isn’t you talking, it’s the red meteor rock. It’s making you say things, do things you would never do.”

He sneered. “But I’ve thought about it, and you know that. You know, the good thing about this is that I can do the things and say the things that I really, really want to say or do.”

“Just take the damn ring off! You’ll feel better afterwards, and we can deal with everything…together.”

He lifted his hand, waving the ring on his finger in his face. “You mean this? I put this on myself so, yeah, it’s not going anywhere. It makes me feel alive. It makes me feel like I can have anything I want.”

“You mean stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from ATMS?”

He glared. “How do you know about that?”

“This is Metropolis, news hits faster that you could blink.”

He grinned, “Well, it’s good that I can blink pretty fast. Now, if you excuse me…I was in the middle of something.”

“Oh, were not done yet.” He grabbed his arm, stopping him again.

He turned towards him, “Oh I think we are.”

He tightened his hold on his arm, which Kal quickly shook off. “I don’t think your hearing me. I’m not going anywhere! Smallville is my past, it means nothing to me!”

He took a step back. “What about your family, your friends, your girl?”

He scoffed. “Like I said they are all part of my past. It’s time I move onto bigger and better things.”

“Like what? Women and alcohol?”

He smirked. “Damn straight.”

“This is ridiculous!” He reached for the ring, but Kal pulled his hand away.

“You didn’t just do that.”

He sighed. “Look, I get it, okay? Your blaming yourself for what happened, but it’s time to go home.”

He growled, impatiently, “No.” He started to walk away again, but Pete grabbed him again. He twirled around. “Don’t. Touch. Me.” He leaned in close, “Or do I need to remind you who has the upper hand here?”

“Oh, get over yourself. Yeah, your strong, but you won’t hurt me.”

He smirked, “You sure about that?”

He stood tall, not taking his bait. “Clark, just come home. Your parents miss you.”

He scoffed. “What parents? My parents died a long time ago on Krypton.”

“Clark!”

He looked around, “What? Worried someone might over hear?” He shrugged his shoulders. “Who cares? I’m tired of living in secrets so, if someone finds out, good for them.”

He sighed. “What about Chloe? What about me? We miss you!”

“Yeah right. Now that I’m out of the picture, you can have Chloe all to yourself. That’s what you want right?” He smirked. “She is pretty, but she just never did it for me, and never will.”

He felt the anger boiling inside of him, but decided to change tactics. “What about Lana?”

He laughed, his head tipping back. “Lana? Seriously? Did you think that was going to work? She’s a tease. You know, we kissed, right? Then she backpaddled. That girl messes with a guy’s head so, no, not even she will make me come back.”

“Clark this isn’t like you. Please, please, just come with me.”

“No.”

“Cl—”

“Kal! My name is Kal! Clark Kent is dead!”

He sighed. “I’m done arguing with you. You’re coming with me whether you want to or not.”

He stepped towards him, looming over him. “Yeah? You and what army?”

He touched the lead case in his pocket. He really hoped it wouldn’t come to this, but it seemed to be the only way. He opened the box in his pocket.

Kal felt his stomach churning in immediate pain. He crumpled over in agony. He knew what that was. Kryptonite. “P-Pete! What are you-you doing?”

He took the rock out of his pocket, and shoved it into Clark’s. “What I have to.”

The pain ripped through his body. He could feel his insides churning, his heart hammered in his chest, and his body felt weak. He fell to the ground, groaning. Pete pulled him up, dragging him outside, and tossed him to the ground.

Kal rolled onto his back, holding his stomach. He looked up at Pete, pleading in his eyes. “P-pl-please! Please, d-d-don’t do this!”

He knelt down beside him, and took the lead case from his pocket. “I have to do this. It’s the only way.”

“Pl-please. S-s-st-stop!” He continued to plead.

He closed his eyes, hating hearing his friend in so much pain. He grabbed his hand, and placed it on the ground.

Kal watched, in horror, as he lifted the lead case high above his head, and knew what he was going to do. “N-No! P-please! I’m beg…begging you! Y-you d-don’t under…understand! I-I ca-can’t go…go back. P-Pete, please! S-s-stop! D-don’t do this!”

He ignored his pleading. He knew that once the ring was gone, everything would be okay. He would get his best friend back, and he would come home. “I’m sorry, Clark.” He slammed the lead case down onto Clark’s hand, shattering the red rock into millions of pieces.

“NOOOO!” He screamed, as he felt the red kryptonite leave his veins, and his world came crashing down around him. “No. No. NOOO!” He screamed, as memories of everything came rushing back to him. His pain. His guilt. Everything he has done. It all come rushing to him, wave after wave, and he felt like he couldn’t breathe.

Pete grabbed the kryptonite from his pocket, and put it away. He lifted Clark up, and started walking him towards his truck. Clark felt the strength return to his body, and forcefully pushed him away.

“No.”

Pete stared at him, “Clark?”

He took a few steps back. He stared at the ground, everything was hitting him at once, and it was so, so painful. How could he do those things? Why did he have to destroy the ship? He killed his unborn baby brother or sister! He remembered everything he did while on red kryptonite, and wished he could just go back under that protection. It made him feel better. It made him forget. Why did Pete do this to him?

“What have you done?” He whispered.

“What?”

He looked up, venom laced in his voice, “WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?”

He staggered back. He was not expecting this. He knew he would feel pain, but anger? That was unexpected. “Clark, it’s going to be okay.”

“Okay?” He laughed, coldness in his tone. “No. No, it’s not. Why didn’t you listen to me, Pete? Why couldn’t you just leave well enough alone?”

He stared at him, dumfounded, “What are you talking about?”

He glared at him. “I begged you. I begged you not to do that, but you didn’t listen. I was fine. I was doing just fine. Why? Why did you do this?”

“If you’re talking about destroying the red meteor rock, then that was the best thing I have ever done! It controls you! You need to be with your friends and family, not that stupid rock!”

He glared at him. He had nothing. At least with the rock, he felt alive, and now he was dead. He was dead inside. He was miserable. He was in pain. He felt guilty. He felt like nothing mattered anymore.

“I’m taking you home.”

He stepped away from him. “No.”

No?”

“You don’t get it. I don’t have a home.”

He looked up at him. “Why? Why did you do this to me?”

“I did it to save you. You weren’t yourself. You need to come with me.”

He stepped back. “No.”

“What?”

“I’m not going anywhere.”

Pete sighed, “Look, man, your upset, I get it, but now that, that rock is gone, you can come back to your family.”

He looked up at him, pure menace in his eyes. “I WANTED THIS! I NEEDED THIS! YOU’VE RUINED EVERYTHING!” He screamed. His heart was pounding, the tears rolled down his face, and his breathing was harsh and rapid.

He stumbled back, at the pure menace in his voice. It was like he was still on red kryptonite, but he knew that wasn’t true. He knew he was in pain, but he didn’t think it was this bad. “Clark, please, your family and friends miss you. I did this so, you would come home.”

He shook his head, “They don’t need me. I’m a disgrace. My parents, Chloe, Lana, you, you’re all better off without me.”

He started to walk away. Pete quickly followed him. “Clark! Wait! Please, don’t do this. Just come home.”

He crawled onto his motorcycle, and revved the engine. “No. I’m not going back. I’m never coming back. It’s too painful.”

Pete saw there was no convincing him otherwise. “Where are you going to go?”

He looked up at his best friend, one last time. “I-I don’t know. I’m leaving Metropolis. I’m leaving Kansas, and I won’t be coming back.”

“Please! Please don’t do this! We need you! I need you!”

He softly smiled, strained, but a smile. “You’ll be okay. Tell Chloe that I’m sorry.” He took a deep breath, closing his eyes. “T-tell my parents—tell them that I-I love them, okay?”

He nodded. “What about Lana?”

He shook his head, thoughts of her consuming his mind. Kal was right about one thing, she really was a tease. He liked her, of course, who wouldn’t like a pretty slender brunette? But did he love her? He didn’t know, and he really didn’t care.

“Tell her whatever you want. I really don’t care.”

He shook his head. “You don’t mean that.”

“I do. I just don’t care anymore. I ca-can’t. It’s too painful to think about. My parents, Chloe, Lana…you. I just can’t, okay?”

Pete didn’t want to believe those words, but knew he meant every single one of them. His best friend was gone. The pain and guilt consuming him changed him, and he wasn’t sure he would ever get him back.

“Please! Please, think about this!”

“I have. This is best for everyone. I just ca-can’t—I can’t go back. I’m sorry.”

The hot, sticky tears poured down his cheeks. “Goodbye, Pete.” And with that he drove away. He didn’t know where he was going, but he needed to get as far away from Metropolis—from Kansas as he could.

Pete watched him, solemnly, as he drove off into the night, disappearing from his sight. What the hell was he supposed to do now? He promised Mr. Kent that he would bring his son home, but he only managed to push him even further away. He supposed, that he could try again—try to convince him to come home, but what was the point? He would only be hurting himself and Clark even more. It was obvious that he was suffering. His once, happy and loving best friend was now lost and broken, how was he supposed to fix that? He couldn’t. Clark would heal, on his own, and he hoped that one day he would come home. How could he tell the Kent’s that Clark, even free from the kryptonite refused to come home to his family? To his friends? They were in so much pain, especially now, and now they would be in even more. He didn’t know what he was supposed to do, but he knew one thing for sure, life would never be the same without his best friend.

So? What did you think? Love it? Hated it? Was it what you were expecting? I’m pretty sure you figured out that Pete had some kind of plan to stop Kal, but did you know it would be kryptonite? I’m not too sure if the scene between them was realistic, but I needed a way for Clark to be himself, but still in so much pain that he would still choose to leave. Remember that it’s only been one week since he left so, that pain and guilt is intense right now. What about my interpretation of Lois and The General? I’m not too sure if I got them right, but I hoped it was okay. My forte is definitely not dialogue, but I hope you still enjoyed it.

I hope you liked chapter one!

Until next time 😊

Comment

Chapter Two:

The hot, burning sun was already radiating heat down on the base in Phoenix, Arizona. It was god awfully hot here. Everyone was miserable, everyone except one tall, stoic, gruff man. He was currently in his office, sitting down at his large, Oakwood desk. It had papers scattered everywhere. His eyebrows furrowed, a frown resting on his face, and a cigar hanging loosely from his lips. The smoke billowing out of his mouth and nose, filling the room in a thick fog. He stared down at the papers. The meeting this morning was long, and tiring, and honestly, a waste of his damn time. His supervisors in Washington were demanding he send one third of his men to a platoon in Eastern Europe to oversee a treaty that was currently being reconsidered. They needed reinforcements, but which men should he send? He had no idea. This was the worst part of his job, which is why he had people for this, well, one in particular.

“Wes!!!” He bellowed.

Wes, who was still shaken from yesterday’s confrontation, and feeling the effects of a slight hangover, rushed into the office. “Yes, sir?”

He didn’t even look up at him, his concentration on his assignment, “Send in my daughter.”

He replied with a curt, yes sir, and left the room.

Wes, walked down the many corridors leading to Lois’ quarters. He knocked on the door. Silence. He knocked a little harder. Nothing but silence. He banged on the door, knowing she could be passed out from last night’s debacle. Silence.

He contemplated what he should do. On one hand, he was following orders from her father, but on the other she would kick his ass to kingdom come and back if he walked inside, uninvited. He slowly reached for the doorknob, and hesitated. He took a deep breath before he faced his inevitable fate of the Lane wrath.

“Wes?”

He sighed in relief. He wouldn’t have to get his ass handed to him by Lois, at least, not today, he thought, grimly.

He turned to face the voice that belonged to the most beautiful girl he has even known, the girl with the long strawberry blonde hair, and sparkling green eyes. “Hey, Cassie.”

She smiled. “Uh, what are you doing?”

He didn’t know how to answer that.

She quirked a brow, “You were going to break into Lois’ room, weren’t you?”

He stuffed his hands into his pockets, like that would erase what he was about to do, “No! I mean, yes. I, um, The General is sending for her.” He looked back at the door. “Do you know where she is? She’s not answering.”

Her heart rate accelerated. She needed to deflect. She knew exactly why she wasn’t answering. “Oh. Um, why?”

He shrugged his shoulders. “Paperwork, I think.”

She rolled her eyes. Of course, why else would he send for her, no wonder she ran away, she thought. She noticed he was about to open her door, “Woah! What do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m following orders.”

She pushed him aside, “Let me, unless you want the wrath of Lois Lane.”

He stepped back. He didn’t want that all. He watched as she opened the door, and what he saw, made his mouth drop open. “Oh my god!”

She looked around the room, and sighed, inwardly. Way to make a statement Lois, she thought. She slowly turned towards Wes, with a look of feigned shock. She had to act like she was clueless.

Wes looked around, dumbfounded, “Where is she?

She shrugged her shoulders.

He narrowed his eyes at her. “Cassie, do you know something?”

She looked him directly in the eyes. “No. I saw her after that fight she had with her father, but I haven’t seen her since I put her to bed. She was quite drunk last night.”

He looked for any signs of untruthfulness, but found none. “Okay, thanks.”

She watched him walk away, and sighed, heavily. That was easier than she thought it was going to be. She was never one for lying, especially to Wes, but her loyalties were to Lois, not the man she had conflicting feelings towards. As she walked towards her quarters, she just knew this situation was about to get a hell of a lot worse. Oh Lois, she thought, I hope you know what you’re doing.

He couldn’t believe it. She actually did it. She ran away. He couldn’t blame her, but now, he would be stuck right in the middle of this. He rushed into The General’s office, without knocking.

“Wes! What happened to knocking? I’m your boss, not your roommate!”

He gulped. He wasn’t going to like this at all, nope, not one iota. “Sir, I apologize, but, um, your daughter…”

He narrowed his eyes at the young soldier, “What about her?”
            “She’s gone, sir.”

“WHAT!”

He shot up from his chair, cigar long forgotten, and rushed to his daughter’s room. What he saw, angered him to an absolutely high level. Her bed was made, never slept in. Her drawers were wide open. Her clothes strewn throughout the room. He walked throughout, noticing some of her clothes were gone, but all of her bathroom supplies were missing.

“WHERE THE HELL IS SHE?”

Wes took a staggering step back from him. “I-I don’t know, sir.”

He stormed back to his office, with Wes in tow. What was he going to do with that girl? First, she is caught drinking, then she runs away? He was going to find her, and when he did, she was being shipped off to military school.

He paced his office. He needed to figure out how to find her. She was smart, being raised in military customs, she would know how to cover her tracks, but she couldn’t have gotten far.

He turned towards Wes, “What’s the name of that girl she is always hanging out with?”

He blushed, slightly, “C-Cassie, sir.”

“Bring her to me.”

He nodded before exiting the room.

General Sam Lane sat down on his chair. He was going to get the answers he needed, and he knew that this Cassie girl would know where his daughter is. He waited, quite impatiently, for the moment his daughter’s best friend would walk in. He would get the truth. No matter what, he would bring his daughter home.

A few miles away from the Colorado border...

Pain.

Guilt.

Shame.

That’s how he felt, as he sped down the highway throughout the early morning, and most of the day.

Lost.

Broken.

Lifeless.

That’s how he felt now, as his piercing blue/green eyes stared down at the river flowing beneath him.

The sun was beaming high in the blue skies, as he stood on the side of the highway, his hands clenching the railing of a bridge, almost bending the metal. His head dropped, slightly, as he thought about what his life has turned into.

He destroyed everything that mattered to him.

And it all started one week ago…

He opened the door, leading to the storm cellar, and gripped the box, holding the kryptonite key that he stole from Lionel Luthor.

He slowly walked down the stairs and approached the ship, which was bathed in a foreboding blue light. He took several deep breaths, preparing himself. He had to do this. He would not leave his family and friends.

He crushed the box, revealing the kryptonite key, and causing himself immediate pain, as it glowed in his presence. He gasped before falling to his knees. He slowly, and quite painfully, placed the key in the ships groove, and collapsed to the ground. The pain was too intense.

He crawled away, as fast as he could manage, and watched as the ship festered, burned, and shook violently before it exploded into a blast of bright, white light.

The shockwave elicited a ring of white energy, which expanded outwards, destroying everything in its path.

He looked around, completely shocked, at the destruction of the storm cellar. But it was over now. He could be free.

He ran up the stairs, the only thing left standing, and tripped, falling face first into the dirt. He slowly stood up, looking into the distance, and his heart sank. His parents! He super sped over to the upside-down truck, praying and hoping, they were okay.

Why did he do it? Why couldn’t he have just left well enough alone?

If he would have just obeyed his biological father, everything would be okay.

But it wasn’t.

He wished—wanted to go back to that horrendous day, and take it all back, but he couldn’t, and he would have to live with what he’s done…forever.

He destroyed his family. His family. They were now grieving for the life they lost, and it was all his fault.

He destroyed his ship, causing his parents truck to crash.

A crash that put his mother in the hospital.

The hospital where she found out that her baby was gone. Dead. Forever.

He killed his unborn baby brother or sister. And why? Because he defied his biological father. Why? Why didn’t he listen? Why didn’t he accept his fate? His destiny?

He couldn’t.

But now, his family is in so, so much pain.

Unbearable.

Agonizing.

Unreconcilable.

He was to blame for all of it, and he would live within his pain, guilt, and shame for the rest of his life.

He softly closed his eyes. He didn’t want to think about it, but it would always be there, and he knew that.

His father’s words rung in his head. “There’s no time for excuses, Clark. It’s too late. You didn’t think this thing through! You had no idea what was going to happen, and now…now your mother is lying in a hospital bed.”

He heard the anger. The sadness. The disappointment. The gravity. It consumed him. It overcame him. It became him.

He broke his father’s trust. He lied to his parents. They couldn’t trust him.

He felt like such a disenchantment. He couldn’t stay. He couldn’t look into their eyes, and see what he felt inside…pain. Guilt. Shame. A pain, guilt and shame that he would carry on his shoulders.

So, he left.

He just wanted to forget…everything.

And that’s exactly what he did, but to what cost?

After the red kryptonite was gone. He remembered…everything, everything that he did as Kal-El.

He was ashamed of himself.

Pain.

Havoc.

That’s what he caused. He stole. He bribed. He used. He did whatever the hell he wanted. As Kal, he was unstoppable, and enjoyed everything he did. He enjoyed stealing. He enjoyed bribing. He enjoyed using. He enjoyed being free. But that wasn’t Clark. He didn’t steal, he didn’t bribe, he didn’t use, but deep inside, did he want to do those things? Did he want to feel free? Liberated? He didn’t know.

Agonizing pain.

Unforgettable guilt.

Belittling shame.

He didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know where he was going. He didn’t know what to feel. He didn’t know what to think.

Lost…forever.

Broken…deeply.

Clark Kent was dead, lifeless, and he was never coming back.

HONK! HONK! HONK!

He quickly spun around, at the sound reverberating in his ear drums.

His eyes widened, as he saw a car heading straight for him. It was seconds away from hitting him. He didn’t have time to think about the best course of action, and held his hands out, stopping it dead in its tracks.

He breathed in deeply, as his hands were molded and buried into the metal hood of the car. His heart was hammering in his chest, as he looked around, hoping and praying that no one saw him using his powers. He sighed, in absolute relief, his secret was safe.

He looked over his shoulder, towards the bridge, and knew that if he wouldn’t have been here, this person would have driven off the bridge, and died immediately.

At least he could still save people, he thought, resolutely.

He looked up into the windshield, wanting to make sure that the driver was okay. He figured that the blow would have knocked out the driver, but no, instead he was met with a pair of shocked hazel eyes staring at him.

His eyes widened.

His mouth dropped open.

His face paled.

And then he internally freaked out.

He felt the fear seep into his veins. The frightened notion of what was going to happen. The terrifying thoughts of being dissected like a lab rat. It all hit him at once.

He stared into her eyes. Oh God! What the hell have I just done?

So? What did you think? Hated it? Loved it? Is this story too weird or not at all realistic? Should I just stop now? This was relatively shorter than my last chapter, but that’s because I just wanted this to be Clark’s point of view. I also wanted to go into great depth of what Clark is feeling. His pain, guilt, and shame are a big part of this story. So, I apologize, if it seems like I’m dragging it out, but I’ve read other season three storylines, and they usually don’t incorporate his feelings of his actions. As a writer, I like to focus on the characters feelings and emotions.

I hoped you enjoyed chapter two!!!

Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Hello WC67 😊 I am very much interested and intrigued by the beginning, the tone and the path your story is taking. I usually only read completed fics or fics by writersI really enjoy and I've come to trust. I REALLY HATE unfinished fics. This one grabbed me before I could check and stop myself🙄😇. Do I have subscribed and will eagerly await update,notices. Very much want to see where/how take/develop Clois and their relationship. It's a great start. Can't wait for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Sykobee
                Hello WC67  I am very much interested and intrigued by the beginning, the tone and the path your story is taking. I usually only read completed fics or fics by writersI really enjoy and I've come to trust. I REALLY HATE unfinished fics. This one grabbed me before I could check and stop myself. Do I have subscribed and will eagerly await update,notices. Very much want to see where/how take/develop Clois and their relationship. It's a great start. Can't wait for more.
                Thank you for taking an interest in my story. I really hope you enjoy what's to come. I completely understand why you wouldn't want to read unfinished fics, but I promise that I will be completing this.

Comment

ALL SONGS USED IN THIS CHAPTER IS NOT MINE!!! ALL RIGHTS GO TO THE INTENDED PARTIES!!! IT IS FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!!!

Chapter Three:

I can do this. I can do this.

She repeated that mantra over and over again in her head, as she sat across from The General. She was nervous. She was terrified. She was starting to question if she could do this or not. Then, he glared, the all too familiar Lane glare. I can’t do this!

She took a deep breath. She would do this. She would because her best friend was counting on her. It’s not like she knew where Lois was, but, she did know she left, and if she didn’t know Sam Lane, then she would say that wouldn’t be a problem, but, she did, and he would definitely not take that lightly. No. Not at all. He would interrogate her over and over again or just simply have her followed. She believed the latter would be the case in this situation.

He sat up straight, hands crossed in front of him, and glared, harder that he was before. He had frown lines on his forehead, a frown edged onto his gruff features, and just stared at her, like he was reading her or something.

She wanted to roll her eyes. What was it with Lanes and reading people? Lois was so damn good at it. She could look at you, and know what you’re thinking. And she crumbled every damn time! Not this time. Nope. Lois’ freedom was hanging in the balance, and even though she missed her, she would not rat her out or herself, for that matter.

She squared her shoulders, a new determination surging through her veins. I can do this, and I will do this.

They stared at each other for several minutes, neither moving, neither speaking.

She supposed, that most people would feel terrified underneath The General’s angry gaze, but she wasn’t. She was an army brat, she was used to it, but she was also best friends with Lois, who could be a hell of a lot scarier than her father.

“So, Cassie…It’s Cassie, right?”

She nodded. She could do this. She was strong. She was independent. She would not break.

“I need you to be completely honest with me…Do you know where my daughter is?”

GULP!

The tone of his voice radiated that he meant business. The steel gaze in his eyes chilled her to the bone. The way he held his body was overwhelming.
                  Yeah, this was going to be much harder that she previously thought.

Freedom…

I don't know where I'm goin'
                  But I sure know where I've been
                  Hanging on the promises in songs of yesterday
                  An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time
                  Here I go again, here I go again

Liberation…

Tho' I keep searching for an answer
                  I never seem to find what I'm looking for
                  Oh Lord, I pray you give me strength to carry on
                  'Cause I know what it means to walk along the lonely street of dreams

Exhilaration…

Here I go again on my own
                  Goin' down the only road I've ever known
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone
                  An' I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time

Free from the likes of her father.

Liberated as she drove further and further away from her troubled life.

Exhilaration pumped through her veins as thoughts of her new adventure scorched through her mind.

As she sped down the highway, jamming to her favorite WhiteSnake albums, all these emotions, plus a few unidentified ones encompassed her.

She finally did it. She was free. She couldn’t believe it.

Her whole life, she had wished—prayed—hoped for this moment, and now it was finally here. Over the years, she had tried running away, escaping, from the trivialities of her life through unconventional ways, but this was so, so much better. It made her feel…alive.

For the past twelve years, she had tried escaping from the life of an army brat, the constant moving around from one country to the next, but, especially the tight grip of her father, The General. And now she has. She’s escaped from…everything.

As the lyrics, of one of the best songs written by WhiteSnake rung in her ears, she thought about her never-ending rollercoaster of a life.

Pain.

The pain of losing the most precious thing she had in her life. Her mother. Ellen Lane. She was beautiful, high-spirited, and a breath of fresh air. She meant absolutely everything to her, and then, she lost her. She was only six years old. No child should ever have to deal with a pain so great, but she did, and she believed that she had prospered through the pain. But she hasn’t. She was supposed to grieve, heal, and eventually move on, but that never happened. She still grieved on those cold winter nights. She has never healed from that loss. She will never move on from her mother’s untimely death. And it was all his fault. Instead of sheltering her, protecting her, grieving with her, he placed a mountain of responsibilities on her tiny shoulders.

Responsibilities.

At the age of six, she was a high-sprung, energetic child, but that all changed, and she became, Lois Lane, older sister and her father’s little soldier. She had to put up with things that no child her age should ever have to deal with. They are supposed to have a childhood, be carefree, and worry about nothing except what games they played that day, but not her, no, she became a mother. She was her little sister, Lucy’s, new replacement mother. She didn’t really understand, she was too young, but Lois sure did. She was no longer a child. She lost that they day her mother died, and became an adult. She made sure Lucy was fed, bathed, and cared for. And, as the years went by, she was in charge of making sure she got to school on time, was picked up on time, was fed properly three times a day, and made sure that her homework was done every single night. As they grew older, they learned to follow a system of command, of course, it was ordered by The General himself. Lucy reported to her. She reported to The General. And the cycle continued day in and day out.

Hardships.

Then, one day, her life completely changed, tilting on its axis. The General sent Lucy away to school, in a different country because she was smart. What did that mean for her? Was she not smart? Was she not allowed to the same privileges as her younger sister? Was there something wrong with her? All those questions were asked and answered in the following years. It didn’t matter what she wanted. Her father needed her, or an assistant, and the hardships of her life began. She was treated like a soldier. She followed commands from her father, and other Sergeants. She did paperwork, she cleaned her room spotless every single day, and she listened to every little thing her father said. She hoped that maybe, just maybe, he cared about her, but she soon realized that she was just a damn spare piece of luggage to him. And she was tired of it! So, she did the only thing she could…she rebelled.

Rebelliousness.

It has been her way of things since she turned fourteen years old. She purposefully, broke her father’s specific commands, and refused to do HIS paperwork. That wasn’t her damn job. She picked up smoking cigarettes one day at school, with some friends, but soon realized that, that wasn’t for her. She didn’t agree with the smell and taste, it was disgusting, but it was fun, while it lasted. She began to ditch her classes. At first, it started out as a few classes here and there, but eventually turned into never going to class for weeks at a time. Then, they boys started interesting her, immensely. She started fooling around with them, which aggravated the hell out of her father, which was the point. She started drinking and partying. It started out as just a way to tick off her father, but she soon learned that it was fun, and she could keep up with the other soldiers, especially since she had drunk with Russian Generals, without her father knowing, of course.

It had felt absolutely amazing doing all those things, just in the name of being a rebellious, defiant teenager, but now, now she didn’t just feel great, she felt ecstatic.

She ran away.

And she’s never felt better.

“Then send me away! It’s what you do best! You send your men on missions, not really caring if they come back. You send Lucy away, and now your threatening to do the same to me. Do it! I dare you! Send your only daughter away!”

“Drop the attitude, Lo. One more outburst, and you’re off to military school, is that clear?”

The last words her and her father spoke to each other rung in her mind.

She sighed.

She knew what she did was right for her. She was free. Free from everything. Free from his commands. Free from the military lifestyle. Free from moving from one base to the next. She was just free.

It was new, exciting, and frivolous.

But…

She couldn’t help but feel a foreboding doom looming over her.

She knew this wouldn’t last forever. He would find her, that was obvious, and when he did, she was positive that he would collect on his threat of sending her to military school. She didn’t want that in the first place, which is why she left, but now that she is thinking about it, it seems she would be going there as soon as he got her back into his tight grip. It was useless to try to escape from her fate. No matter what, she would be going to military school, and there was nothing she could to stop it. He would send his men after her. Ship her back to the base. And then the life she knows would be over. This was just a fun and exhilarating temporary fix.

She shook her head, quickly dispelling those thoughts from her mind. It didn’t matter right now so, she wouldn’t think about it. She was free right now, and she was going to enjoy every second of it, however long it lasted.

She reached over to the radio, blasted the music, drowning out her own thoughts, and quietly sang along.

Who knows where the cold wind blows,
                  I ask my friends, but, nobody knows
                  Who am I to believe in love,
                  Oh, love ain't no stranger

I looked around an' what did I see
                  Broken hearted people staring at me,
                  All searching 'cause they still believe,
                  Oh, love ain't no stranger

I was alone an' I needed love
                  So much I sacrificed all I was dreaming of,
                  I heard no warning, but, a heart can tell
                  I'd feel the emptiness of love I know so well

Love ain't no stranger,
                  I ain't no stranger
                  Love ain't no stranger,
                  I ain't no stranger to love, no, no, no

Can't hold the passion of a soul in need,
                  I look for mercy when my heart begins to bleed
                  I know good loving an' I'm a friend of pain,
                  But, when I read between the lines it's all the same

Love ain't no stranger,
                  I ain't no stranger
                  Love ain't no stranger,
                  I ain't no stranger to love

CLANK! CLANK! CLANK!

What the hell? She thought, as her car started making weird screeching noises. She shut off the radio, and listened intently, and frowned as she did so.

After a few minutes, it stopped, and she released a breath of relief. She didn’t know what that was, but now that it stopped, she had nothing to worry about.

Not even two seconds later, her car started jerking ferociously, and it was starting to get difficult to stay on the road.

She breathed in and out, as she tightly gripped the steering wheel. She would NOT freak out, she was a Lane after all, and Lanes did not freak out.

She lightly pressed on the brakes, intending on slowing down so, she could pull off to the side of the road, but realized that her freaking brakes didn’t work! You’ve got to be kidding me! She thought, as she took deep breaths. Nope. Still not freaking out.

She noticed that the car in front of her was pressing on their brakes. Oh God! She couldn’t—wouldn’t hit anyone. She knew what would happen if she didn’t do something, with her speed, she would either die from the impact or seriously harm the person in the car ahead of her. No way in hell was she letting either of those things happen.

She jerked the wheel to the right, effectively swerving away from impacting the car in front of her, and began heading towards the side of the road. She sighed in relief. It was better to hit a tree, a wall, anything that didn’t endanger anyone else, but herself. That relief was short-lived however, as she realized that her car was not only heading towards a bridge, but there was a man standing there.

Her heart beat accelerated, as she came closer and closer, and she was officially freaking out.

“NO!!!!” She screamed at the top of her lungs, and honked her horn, frantically. Move! Please! Turn around and move! She pleaded silently in her mind.

She knew her fate. She was going to die. But, it was better to go out with a bang, and not having a guilty conscience of unintentionally murdering someone on her way there.

She watched as he quickly spun around, stood there, like he wasn’t sure what he should do. What the hell are you doing? Move out of the way!

He didn’t.

But, he did do something that completely, and utterly amazed her. When she was seconds away from running him over, he held out his hands, abruptly stopping the car with his bare hands. The action caused her head to bang violently against the steering wheel. She quickly looked up, wondering if she was seeing things, but she wasn’t. He was still there. What the ****ing hell?

She stared at him, completely shocked at what she had seen this man do. He looked like he was fifteen, how could he have stopped a car with his own hands? Was she seeing things? She wasn’t too sure about that.

She watched as he looked around, frantically. He was probably looking to see if anyone had seen his heroic act. She wanted to laugh at that. Did he actually believe she wouldn’t see him? Or did he think that she would pass out from the exhilaration of almost dying? He would soon learn that Lanes aren’t afraid of anything, not even death.

And then it happened.

He looked up, and she stared right into his aquamarine eyes.

His face paled.

His eyes widened.

His mouth dropped open.

And that’s when she saw the scared, and terrified look take over his features.

He was afraid! Afraid of her! Afraid that she had seen him use his abilities!

Poor guy! She sympathized. He has probably hidden this side of himself from everyone, and now, he has just revealed himself, albeit unknowingly, but still. She had seen everything, and now he was terrified.

She was a curious person, and was definitely intrigued, but the fear-filled expression on his face, made her do something very un-Lois like. She wasn’t going to say anything about it, not unless he wanted her to know anything.

She wasn’t sure what to do. He was staring at her. She wanted to break the ice between them, but how? She didn’t want to scare him away. So, instead of speaking, she softly smiled and waved at him, which turned out to be a big mistake.

If it was possible, he paled even more so, removed his hands from the hood of her car, stepped back and disappeared right in front of her eyes.

Nice going, Lane! She thought, shaking her head, at her own stupidity.

So? What did you think? Hated it? Loved it? This was basically just Lois’ POV. I wanted a little insight into Lois’ life, and why her car just suddenly came hurtling towards Clark. I thought this would be a pretty creative, weird, and out there way for Lois to accidentally witness Clark’s powers. I have a very vivid imagination, and this particular scene just wouldn’t leave my head.
                  So, I hoped you enjoyed chapter three!!!
                  Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Firstly, congratulations on taking the leap into the unknown. I've read a few stories where Lois meets Clark in Metropolis during his runaway months but I really like that you have taken it in a completely different direction.

I like your insight into Lois and her past. While I think Sam Lane was a sympathetic character on the show, he made some very bad mistakes with Lois and it's surprising that she turned out as well as she did. What I like is the way you've given us a little insight into why she decided to rebel. It's very true that when you're faced with either an over-protective parent or in this case a neglectful one, the child can go one of two ways. They can either internalise everything, which is psychologically damaging, or they can rebel, as Lois does. Not to say that that isn't just as damaging.

As for her thoughts about Clark revealing himself in the way he does, I love her sympathy for him. It shows she has a huge heart.

Nice chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz
                      Firstly, congratulations on taking the leap into the unknown. I've read a few stories where Lois meets Clark in Metropolis during his runaway months but I really like that you have taken it in a completely different direction.

I like your insight into Lois and her past. While I think Sam Lane was a sympathetic character on the show, he made some very bad mistakes with Lois and it's surprising that she turned out as well as she did. What I like is the way you've given us a little insight into why she decided to rebel. It's very true that when you're faced with either an over-protective parent or in this case a neglectful one, the child can go one of two ways. They can either internalise everything, which is psychologically damaging, or they can rebel, as Lois does. Not to say that that isn't just as damaging.

As for her thoughts about Clark revealing himself in the way he does, I love her sympathy for him. It shows she has a huge heart.

Nice chapter.
                      Thank you! I was a little worried about the way I had them meet, since it's never been done this way before, but I wanted my story to be completely different from others.

I thought it needed to be done. We see a little bit in the show, what her life was like, and knew that she rebelled against her father, but I wanted to go into more depth about that. We all know why Clark left Smallville so, I wanted to incorporate Lois' reasoning as well before this moves any further.

As for the General, he has made some mistakes, and I wanted a really good reason for her to run away. But, I know The General can be sympathetic, and that might come later on in this story, but right now, with the direction i'm going he cant be.

I've read so many different ways that Lois reacts to Clark's reveal, and I hope I did it justice. She's younger. She might still be curious, but she is sympathetic towards Clark's fear.

Glad you liked this story so far.

Comment

Wow! Another great update, so soon and packed with some very powerful passages and imagery. If this is your first attempt at writing Clois fan fiction, I applaud your bravery, effort, talent and ingenuity. While I am a lifelong reading addict, I am picky. When it comes to fan fiction, I only do Clois and am a bit of a snob about it😏 You've captivated me with the your choice of timeline, the depth and emotion of almost every character as well and productivity.

As a long time, and back-ground lurking, reader it's only recently that I have been driven to comment more frequently. Its mostly to say thanks and give appreciation to those brave enough to share their art and hard work. I know others critique and review but I don't know anyone well enough and would never do so uninvited.

I noticed Ms PhoenixNZ commented. She's an amazing writer. If you aren't familiar with her work, you're missing some of the best.

Thanks again for what is showing signs of being a really good read. As long as you're posting, I'll be reading and appreciating.😊

Comment

Originally posted by Sykobee
                          Wow! Another great update, so soon and packed with some very powerful passages and imagery. If this is your first attempt at writing Clois fan fiction, I applaud your bravery, effort, talent and ingenuity. While I am a lifelong reading addict, I am picky. When it comes to fan fiction, I only do Clois and am a bit of a snob about it You've captivated me with the your choice of timeline, the depth and emotion of almost every character as well and productivity.

As a long time, and back-ground lurking, reader it's only recently that I have been driven to comment more frequently. Its mostly to say thanks and give appreciation to those brave enough to share their art and hard work. I know others critique and review but I don't know anyone well enough and would never do so uninvited.

I noticed Ms PhoenixNZ commented. She's an amazing writer. If you aren't familiar with her work, you're missing some of the best.

Thanks again for what is showing signs of being a really good read. As long as you're posting, I'll be reading and appreciating.
                          Thank you! I'm glad you've enjoyed my story so far.

I've always been more inept with emotions and feelings rather than dialogue.

I have read almost all of her stories, and enjoyed every one of them.

Thanks again for reviewing and I hope you enjoy whats to come

Comment

Chapter Four:

“She’s lying.”

Wes fidgeted slightly, as he stood across from the seething General, who was pacing the length of his office. The ‘interrogation’ didn’t really go as planned. Cassie was short, simple, and gave no new information. He didn’t want to believe that she would lie, but knowing how close they were, it wouldn’t be surprising if she covered for Lois.

“She’s hiding something.”

“I’m not so sure, sir.”

He stopped, turned, and glared. “Wes, do you not know my daughter at all? She’s loyal, fierce, and stubborn.”

He knew that, of course, but what did that have to do with Cassie?

“Cassie and Lois are close, right?”

He nodded.

“They tell each other everything, am I right?”

He nodded again. He knew that for a fact. There were so many times, too many to count, where one of them would see or hear something, and not even five minutes later the other would know about it. They weren’t gossipers by any means, but there were absolutely no secrets between them. Could it be true? Did Cassie know where Lois was?

“Then it wouldn’t be surprising if this Cassie girl knew of Lois plans.”

He was afraid of that. “Do you think she knows where Lois is?”

“Of course not.”

He gaped at the man, completely confused. How could she be lying, but not at the same time? Did she know or didn’t she? He silently groaned, this whole situation was giving him a damn headache. “Sir, didn’t you just say that she was lying?”

“A lie of omission, Wes. She probably knew of Lois’ plans, but she doesn’t know where she is.”

“How do you know?”

He sighed. “My daughter, is quite resourceful, a trait she gets from me, unfortunately. She wouldn’t risk telling anyone where she was going.”

He sighed, “Then what do you suggest we do, sir?”

He stared straight into his eyes. “Follow her.”

He paled, slightly, “What? Why? If she doesn’t know anything…”

“She might not know anything, but she also might try to contact her, and that’s our key to finding my daughter.”

He really, really didn’t want to do this. “What would you like me to do sir?”

“Just follow her, and when she contacts my daughter, you will report back to me.”

He nodded, and quickly left the room. He didn’t like this, not one bit, but what choice did he have? When The General gave an order, you obeyed, and asked no questions.

As he walked through the corridors, he couldn’t help but think that he was betraying his friends. Lois, the girl he’s known since he was a kid, the girl he tried kissing, and got knocked on his ass for trying. Cassie, the beautiful girl who took up his thoughts and dreams, the girl he was beginning to fall in love with. He sighed, heavily. This was going to end very, very badly, and of course, he was stuck right in the middle of it.

Damn you, Lois, he thought, desolately, as he headed towards his assignment.

He felt like he couldn’t breathe. His breathing was rapid and uneven, it felt like his lungs were on fire from the excessive amount of air he was sucking in. His heart pounded in his chest, like a jackhammer, the sound of his own heartbeat was ringing in his ears.

He was never one for overacting, but now, in this moment, Clark Kent was having a complete, and uncontrolled panic attack.

She saw! She saw everything!

He willed himself to calm his nerves, as he stood underneath the bridge, leaning against the concrete wall. He didn’t know what he was supposed to do. How he was supposed to react. How the hell he even let this happen.

His entire life, especially when he found out his true alien origins he was always so careful, and now after all these years of hiding his secret that had been shot to hell in a matter of seconds. He was utterly horrified, but more than that, he was completely terrified. Terrified of what was going to happen. What was she thinking? Did she believe him to be some kind of freak? Was she disgusted? Horrified? Terrified? Was she scared of what he could do? Did she want to turn him into the authorities? Study him? Dissect him? Turn him into a living breathing lab rat?

What the hell was he supposed to do now?

He could just leave, of course, he could just superspeed away and never return. That’s what he was doing anyways so, he supposed that he could just leave everything behind. He could forget he ever saved her life—forget she saw him using his powers—just forget everything.

He groaned, the noise slipping past his lips, and softly closed his eyes. He was being a coward, and he knew it. He was literally hiding underneath a damn bridge because he was too terrified of what would happen to him if he confronted her after she had seen…everything.

He wanted to disappear. God, he wished he could just disappear, pretend that this had never happened, and forget that she knew the truth about his powers, but he couldn’t—wouldn’t.
                            He couldn’t leave.

He wasn’t just worried about what would happen to him, but he was worried about her. She could be hurt, albeit probably not too severely, but still hurt in some capacity. She was without a vehicle, a vehicle which was broken down on the side of the road, and he wouldn’t just leave her completely, and utterly stranded. He might be running away from his life—his pain—his guilt, but he wasn’t too far gone to realize when someone needed help, and she needed his help. She was possibly hurt. She was stranded with nowhere to go. She was alone.

He couldn’t just leave her.

But…

She knew…everything. She knew he had powers. She might not know the whole truth, but he wasn’t naïve enough to believe that she wouldn’t figure at least some of it out. How the hell was he supposed to get out of explaining? How was he supposed to tell her anything? How was he going to get out of this colossal mess?

He wasn’t.

He knew that if he went back up there, she would have a million and one questions, and he didn’t know how to answer a single one of them without revealing his true origins. What was he supposed to tell her? ‘Hey! My name is Clark, and I’m an alien from another planet with special powers!’

He scoffed. He couldn’t—wouldn’t do that. No way in hell was he telling her the truth. He didn’t know her. He couldn’t trust her, or anyone for that matter. He was raised to protect his secret, and he wouldn’t stop now.

He sighed, softly. He didn’t know what he was supposed to do. He couldn’t tell her the truth, but he also couldn’t hide underneath here forever.

His life was a huge mess, and now this just made thing so, so much worse. What was he supposed to do in a situation like this?

He had three options, all involving confronting the girl.

Firstly, he would be captured by the authorities or the girl herself, strapped down to a table, and spent the remainder of his life being experimented on.

Secondly, he would be bombarded by a million questions from her, and would have no choice but to tell her something, even if it was a lie.

And thirdly, he could avoid the topic altogether, help her get situated in a nearby town, and then leave.

He groaned, at the last one. No way in hell would she just brush off the topic of what she had seen him do. He would either be relegated to having his life taken from him or answering questions that he didn’t have answers to.

His eyes slowly opened, and he took a deep breath. It was now or never, he thought, before super speeding back up to her.

After he just disappeared in the blink of an eye, she dropped her head into hands, and immediately regretted it. A sharp, stabbing pain shot through her forehead. She groaned, miserably, as she pulled her hands away, and noticed smudges of blood smeared on her hands.

Great! Just Great! She thought.

She slowly made her way out of her car, and leaned against the door. Her day had started out blissfully amazing. She had escaped from her father. But now, now her car was broken down on the side of the road, she had a splitting headache, and she terrified the guy responsible for saving her life.

She walked around her car, spinning in circles, as she looked for him. Where the hell did he go?

He was absolutely, and stunningly amazing! He was stronger than anyone she’s ever seen. He was faster than a speeding bullet. He probably had other amazing abilities, and what does he do with them? He saves her life. Why? Why would he do something like that? If anybody else possessed these abilities they would want fame, money, power, hell, they would want to conquer the damn world. What was so different about him?

She sighed, knowing she would never know, and even if he hadn’t run away, she wouldn’t have asked him anyways.

She noticed his motorcycle sitting a few feet away from her, and frowned. Was he really that terrified of her? So terrified that he left without his bike?
                            She rolled her eyes. Of course, he was, she thought. This extraordinary guy literally saved her from almost driving off a bridge, and what does she do? She scares him away. Typical!

She really, really needed to learn tact, but the thing was, she didn’t even say anything. She just smiled and waved at him, hoping he’d understand that she wasn’t intending on badgering him about it, but she still scared him away.

Why was he so terrified of her?

She knew she could be a little high-strung, but she didn’t even do or say anything threatening, at least, she hoped she didn’t. Her eyes widened, as a horrible thought crossed her mind, but it made complete sense.

Oh God! He probably thinks that I want to study or dissect him like some kind of lab rat!

Of course, she would never do that. She wasn’t a cynical person, but she wasn’t naïve either. This guy saved her life, he deserved a thank you not to be studied, tormented, and tortured. But, that didn’t mean she wasn’t curious about him. He wasn’t human, that much was obvious, but he was also more human than anyone she’s ever met. She didn’t even speak to him, and knew that much.

She turned towards her car, seeing the imprints from his hands, and traced them with her fingers. He was incredible! He saved her life, and she couldn’t even thank him. “Good going, Lane! This guy saves your damn life, and you didn’t even thank him! You scared him so much that he left without his motorcycle! You seriously need to learn some better tact! Haven’t you learned anything? Always think before you act! Now, this guy is probably halfway to China by now, and you can’t even thank him for saving you!”

Clark, who had been standing a short distance away, was watching her with a soft smile. She was more worried about thanking him than anything else. He slightly tilted his head, as he listened to her rambling, his smile growing wider. She was definitely something else. “You talk a lot.” He knew that was lame, but he couldn’t think of anything else to say to announce his presence.

The sound of his voice coming from behind her, completely startled her. She quickly spun around, breathing heavily, and placed her hands across her palpitating chest. She glared at him. “Jesus! Warn a girl, won’t you! You can’t just sneak up on people like that!”

He shrugged, sheepishly, but the smile never left his face. “Sorry?”

She scowled. “You’re getting a kick out of this, aren’t you?”

He just shrugged, which she rolled her eyes at.

They stared at each other for a few seconds, and she realized that he was anticipating her next words, like he expected her to attack him with an onslaught of questions, which was something that she would, but this was different. He was different. “Well, now that you’re here, you can help me figure out what the hell happened to my piece of crap car.”

His mouth dropped open, as she just turned around, intently examining her car. That was it? No questions? No inquiries? He just couldn’t believe it. She just brushed it off, like what she had seen didn’t even faze her, which was absolutely ridiculous. Who the hell was this girl?

They were both looking at her engine, having no clue what was wrong with it, but their attention wasn’t exactly on her car either. Clark kept stealing glances at the girl, who had surprised him completely, and wondered what she was really thinking. She knew he had powers, but wasn’t saying anything, either he had trust issues up the wonka or there was something wrong with her. He was leaning more towards the former.

Lois, on the other hand, was becoming very irritable. He was staring at her! It was infuriating as hell! For the past twenty minutes, as they looked over her car, she had tried everything to keep her cool. She tried ignoring his eyes burning holes into her skull. She tried to ignore the way his gaze was questioning her, like he was just waiting for her to bombard him. She was thankful to him, that was obvious, and she didn’t want to frighten him away with a crazy, hot-tempered, outburst, but his staring was really, really starting to grate. It was like she was the one with abilities.

Five minutes later, he was still staring at her, and she was done. She couldn’t handle it anymore, and quickly turned towards him, catching him off guard. “Is there something on my face? Or is there a reason why you’ve been staring at me for the past twenty minutes?”

“I-I’m s-sorry.” He stumbled over his words before averting his eyes from her. He could feel the heat rushing to his cheeks, and turned his head away, hoping she wouldn’t see.

She did. She smiled to herself. She kind of liked it when he blushed. She wanted to tease him about it, but seeing the flushed expression on his face, and knowing how he still seemed to be questioning her motives every time he looked at her, decided against it. “So, um, I think I should just call someone…Thanks for trying to help.”

He just nodded, still not looking at her.

She sighed. “You can go if you want, I’m just gonna…” Her sentence was cut off by him quickly walking away, pulling out his phone, and calling someone. She stared at his retreating form with a puzzled expression, then realized he was calling the tow truck company for her. She smiled. Such a gentleman, she thought.

Out of their own accord, her eyes swept over his form-fitting body. He was the most handsome man she’s ever seen before. His hair was a dark ebony shade, a few stands laid perfectly on his forehead, and she had a fleeting thought of what it would feel like to run her fingers through it. His eyes were a mix of blue and green, making them appear aquamarine. He was muscular, and she couldn’t tear her eyes away from his bulging biceps, as his tight shirt clung to him. She gulped, silently, he was way too good looking for his own good. She quickly pulled her eyes away, once she realized what she was doing. She couldn’t believe she was actually checking him out. She couldn’t be doing that, not when he probably thinks she has ulterior motives, and besides, it wasn’t like she would act on her attraction. He was clearly lost, confused, and she sensed a little bit sad, and she was too busy running from her father to think about things like that. She quickly turned away from him, sitting down on the ground, and leaned her back against her car before softly closing her eyes.

He didn’t really understand why he didn’t just leave when she offered. She could have called for help herself. He could have left. And this whole meeting could have been forgotten, just like he wanted in the first place.

But…

He didn’t want to leave…not yet. There was something about this girl that intrigued him, excited him, and confused him. She was high-strung, spirited, and voiced her thoughts, but she also surprised him. She saw him use his powers, and hasn’t breathed a single word about it.

Why? Why wasn’t she mentioning it? Questioning him? Running away from him?

He didn’t understand it, but he wanted to find out, and he wouldn’t mind spending more time with her. She was like a breath of fresh air to him.

After he hung up with the tow truck company, he turned towards her, and roamed his eyes over her slim figure. She was leaning against her car with her eyes closed. She was beautiful…the most beautiful girl he has ever laid his eyes on. Her hair was a light dirty blonde shade, but he got the impression that, that wasn’t her true color. He could picture her with soft, dark chocolate strands, strands that he could see himself wanting to twist his fingers through. Her eyes were a deep, dazzling hazel, that also had gold tints spreading throughout her irises. He could drown in those beautiful pools, like he could get completely lost just gazing into them. Her slender physique was intoxicating, the tight blue tank top engulfed her curves perfectly, and the dark black denim jeans acclimated to her hips, making her look all that more beautiful. All of a sudden, he felt a hot, slightly painful, trickling form behind his eyes, and blinked several times, trying to squelch the heat burning from his eyes. He turned away, not believing that, that almost happened. He remembered as Kal, how he checked out many different women, and that never happened. What was it about her that was affecting him so profusely? She was exquisitely beautiful, that was quite obvious, but he couldn’t be looking at her like that. She probably thought he was some kind of freak, and after today, they would probably never see each other again. He could tell that she was running, just like him, but for different reasons. She seemed defiant, like she was running from something or someone trying to control her life. There was no way he would ever act on his attraction towards her. She could never be a part of his crazy, pain-filled life. He couldn’t—wouldn’t drag her down with him. She was so much more than him, and deserved better than him. He slowly walked over towards her, sat down, and leaned his arms against his knees. He made sure that he was sitting close enough so, he could see her clearly, but also far enough away so, they weren’t touching.

She sensed him, and opened her eyes, realizing that he was sitting down next to her. “Uh, what are you doing?”

He looked over at her, puzzled by that question. “I’m not letting you wait by yourself.”

She rolled her eyes, muttering that she could take care of herself.

He smiled, but it faded as soon as he noticed the deep gash above her right eye. It was slightly bleeding. How did he not notice that before? Oh right, he was too focused on why she wasn’t questioning him, running away from him or anything, except the way she was acting. “Your hurt.”

She frowned before she remembered the cut on her forehead. “Oh that, it’s nothing, just a scratch.”

He looked away from her. He did that. It was his fault. He saved her life, but she still got hurt. Why couldn’t he do anything right? He pushed those foreboding thoughts away before ripping off a piece of his flannel shirt, and gently pressed it against the cut.

She slightly winced, but tried not to show it.

“Sorry.”

Their eyes found each other, and they felt themselves becoming lost, everything around them faded away until it was just the two of them.

She quickly averted her eyes, liking the way he made her feel way too much, and needed a distraction…pronto. She looked back at him. “I’m Lois, by the way, Lois Lane.”

He smiled softly. “Clark. Clark Kent.”

Their eyes locked, smiles lingering in them, and softly, shook hands.

So? Loved it? Hated it? They finally met!! I know the last two chapters they sort of did, but this was where they actually talked, and let me tell you it was difficult!!! I’ve mentioned this before, but I suck at dialogue, and I wanted it to be perfect so, I hope it was okay, and you still enjoyed it.

I hope you enjoyed chapter four!!!

Until next time!!! 😊

Comment

Yay! Great way to start the weekend! Nice first interaction. You may feel that dialogue is not your forte but everyone has their own style and strengths. Even if you were to think the spoken exchanges between your characters is simplistic, you give such a wealth information as each internal voice that I, personally, do not find the actual conversations skimpy or lacking. Most people have a lot more going on inside compared to what they actually say. It's one of the reasons that I prefer books over visual media; good writers make great use of internal dialogue. Even with previous conversations and characters your style and combination has been powerful and succinct while informative and even lush for each character's inner thoughts.
                              Great job on an awesome update. Again, 😍 loved this fist convo. It rang true to what you've crafted and tracks well☺ More please😇 and big thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎