No announcement yet.

Umbra

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chapter 16
    “Abby told me that I could trust you.” Molly told Lois as they were driving around the streets of San Francisco.
    “Abby…?” Lois asked.
    “Abigail Hunkel.”
    “How do you know Mrs. Hunkel?”
    “Two years ago, you wrote an article about the organization known as the Justice Society of America.”
    “Yeah…?”
    “There were several details that you missed. While Checkmate uncovered the members of the group, they never found out about us…”
    “Us…?”
    “A handful of local and federal law enforcement representatives devoted to helping them.”
    “Scott… Your husband’s Alan Scott, the Green Lantern…”
    “Correct. Of course, in those days, Alan only had eyes for another girl named Rose Canton. When Checkmate hunted down the JSA:ers, I sent Rose away to protect her. Of course, we didn’t know that she was pregnant at the time. When she… passed away a year later,” Molly wasn’t ready to give Lois the details of Rose’s suicide, ”I learned about her babies and took them in. I also helped Alan get his life back in order. When everything seemed safe, I returned his children to him and we were married.”
    “So, A.J.’s…?”
    “Yes, he’s the son of the Green Lantern…. I guess you call him the original Green Lantern these days. And, yes, he is the shadow that you’ve had several encounters with. Of course, his father and I aren’t too crazy about him running around and playing superhero.”
    “How did he get his abilities?”
    “We think it stems from some radiation Alan was exposed to once. His sister also has powers, but those are more like what Alan’s ring grants him.”
    “And what about the Tarantula?” Lois asked as Molly handed her a copy of the Chronicle.
    “You weren’t the only one he tried to kill last night.”
    “At least this Crossart guy survived. Can’t say Virgil Droog was as lucky, even if I suspect that he made his own bed.” Lois paused for a moment, “Why are you telling me all of this?”
    “Because I’ve spent the past two days trying to keep the two of you out of it, while you’ve both been running around playing detectives. Hopefully, I’ve managed to convince you to stay out of it, now that I’ve told you what’s going on. Take my advice young lady: pack your bags and head back to Metropolis. Leave this to the professionals.”
    Molly dropped her off outside Macondray Lane and Lois headed right up to A.J.’s apartment, where he was sitting in his couch and watching television. As he got up, Lois gave him a big hug and said: “A.J., I’m saying this from the bottom of my heart… Wear a bloody costume. You almost made me wet myself.”
    “Well, I have one. Just don’t like wearing it.” A.J. replied and took a box out of the closet, where he kept it. Lois pulled it up and looked at it. It didn’t look that bad. It had a bit of a disco feel to it.
    “Does Damon know?” she asked.
    “Oh, we’re not quite there yet. Besides, in my case, it’s not entirely up to me. I have to consider the others too.”
    “I see.” Lois recalled Kara going public, which she had feared would expose Clark as the Blur. So, she couldn’t exactly criticize him for not being able to be entirely open to his partner.

Comment

Chapter 17
      The Tarantula was most displeased after his agents’ failures. At least one of them managed to kill Dr. Droog and get his hands on both the remining of Droog’s devices and the plans for them, so he could easily have more manufactured. He already had two more than he needed. When he was done with today’s demonstration, he could use one of them to get rid of that annoying Lane woman. If there was one thing the Tarantula couldn’t stand, it was people who couldn’t be paid off or scared off. He had found over the years that things worked much better, if people just did what he told them and didn’t ask questions. The Tarantula handed one of the devices to one of his agents, whom he urged not to fail him, like the others had done. Not that it mattered. Before the day was over, both the man known as Moriarty and Alice Savage would both be found dead in their cells. But, first he needed to put his focusing on the matter of Senator Dale.

Comment

Chapter 18
        Despite the threats to her life, Lois refused to hide and had gone to Senator Dale’s press conference. However, A.J. wouldn’t let her go alone and tagged along. Lois and the other press representatives were waiting for Senator Dale on the steps of the San Francisco City Hall. The Senator finally emerged from the building and approached the microphones, as the reporters started their questions.
        “Senator,” asked one of the reporters, “Are you certain that the senate will approve the appointment of your Committee?”
        “I have no doubt about it.” Answered Senator Dale.
        Being from another state, Lois only had a fleeting knowledge of the Committee, that Senator Dale was trying to get appointed. As she understood it, the proposed Committee was going to investigate matters of organized crime in the state of California. Dale hoped that it would be able to strike a major blow to organizations, like the one run by the Tarantula, who smuggled hundreds of slaves into the country over the past year. Many not surviving the trip. As Lois was standing there, she noticed a familiar item on the podium and realized that the Senator was the Tarantula’s next target. Her first instinct was to rush up and get rid off it, but knew that if she tried, the Senator’s security would pull out their guns and shoot her. Meaning both she and the Senator would die. Instead she turned to A.J. and informed him. A.J. departed the press conference and rushed around the corner.
        Whatever A.J. was going to do, Lois hoped he’d be quick. Her pulse raised, when she could see a little light on the device light up. Suddenly A.J. appeared in shadow form and wearing his black-and-blue costume with a gray cape – thank heaven she had taken her advice about wearing one. He grabbed the device and quickly flew it up into the sky, where it could hurt no one. Then a black SUV came racing down Van Ness Avenue, with a man in the back seat popping out of the window with an automatic weapon and began firing at the Senator, whose security had already managed to get her close to the doors of the city hall. She was no longer in harms way. The SUV rushed down Van Ness Avenue, until it came to a complete stop, as it crashed into a wall of shadows, that appeared out of nowhere, having been created by A.J., who had made it back and pulled the occupants out of the cars. Lois, the other reporters and several police officer came rushing towards them. A.J. placed his hand on the heads of each of the men involved in the assassination attempt. Using his powers to see the darkness within them. Just as Lois and the other came to the SUV, A.J. suddenly flew away. He knew where he could find the man behind all of this.

Comment

Chapter 19
          The Tarantula was enraged, when he heard about the failure of his agents. He got ready to leave the warehouse, when A.J. – still in shadow form and wearing his costume – appeared before him. The Tarantula pulled out his gun and tried to shoot him, but the bullets just passed right through him. The Tarantula turned and started running, pulling down boxes in the warehouse, hoping it would slow down his attacker. The ten men he had present in the warehouse began to attack A.J. some tried to shoot him – with no effect – while others attempted to engage in hand-to-hand combat. A.J. easily overpowered them, thanks to his combat training, but also to the fact that he was a lot stronger in shadow form. He was able to throw the Tarantula’s men, men built like a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, around like ragdolls.
          But, they managed to keep him busy long enough for the Tarantula to get out of the warehouse and into a car, an old ford, he had waiting outside and drove off as fast as he could. But as he turned around a corner, he pushed the break. Before him stood A.J., not that it was going to stop the Tarantula. Instead he gave all the old ford had a tried to run over him. Like the bullets before, the car just passed right through him. He turned around and shot two ropes made from darkness, that connected to the rear wheels of the cars and ripped them right off, disabling the car. The Tarantula got out and tried to flee on foot, but A.J. managed to grab him and fly back to the city hall.
          In the 30 minutes they had been gone, agents of the FBI – including Molly – had arrived on the scene and were taking the would-be assassins into custody, when A.J. landed in front of them with the Tarantula. Molly wasn’t sure how to feel about this. Due to his father’s negative experience, neither of them had been crazy about the idea of either A.J. or his sister following in his footsteps. They had urged them to do it in secret if they ever found themselves in a situation where they’d have to use their powers to save somebody. Now here A.J. was showing himself in broad daylight, in front of reporters with cameras. But as she looked around, she couldn’t help but notice that no one was afraid of him. Perhaps she and her husband were too stuck in their old ways, where these sorts of things had to be hidden and they were now facing a new era. One where metahumans could live, to an extent, openly and be celebrated by society.
          A.J. handed Tarantula over to the FBI-agents, while Molly shook his hand and pretended not knowing him. The other agents and several police officers tried to hold back reporters, who wanted an exclusive, both with the mysterious Tarantula and the mystery hero, who’d be given a name by the press before the end of the day. With Tarantula safely in custody, A.J. flew away and returned a few minutes later, as himself. The Tarantula was taken over to one of the FBI cars and had his mask pulled off him. Everyone present were shocked when they saw who was underneath the mask of the notorious Tarantula. Many of them were puzzled about how this could be possible, when they saw Aaron Crossart be taken into custody for the crimes of the Tarantula.
          Just like how Crossart, the crime lord formerly known as the Tarantula, had predicted, the two assassins who had failed to kill Lois Lane were found dead in their cells around the same time that he had been arrested himself. A major disappointment to the two crooked cops, who had killed the assassins and were quickly themselves apprehended, who were now never going to get paid. Within 48 hours, Crossart’s criminal empire began to crumble. There was no one to take it over. Furthermore, Crossart had kept a black book on many of his criminal activities, making it easier for the police to uncover his crimes. Through the cooperation of the FBI and Chinese authorities, a cargo ship was stop in a Chinese harbor. One of its containers were revealed to be containing would-be sex slaves – many of them being underage – on their way to America. The authorities estimated that many of them would’ve died during the trip. A few months later Aaron Crossart would be convicted and sentenced to life in prison, without parole.

Comment

Chapter 20
            “So, Crossart staged a fake assassination attempt on himself, to throw off suspicions?” Damon Matthews asked, sitting in Lucy’s couch, the day after the assassination attempt on Senator Dale.
            “Yeah, it seems like it. He apparently figured if he was targeted by the Tarantula, then no one would suspect him of being the crime lord.” Lois replied, as she packed her suitcase.
            “Pity really. I always took Crossart for a good guy.” Damon remarked.
            “Guess it just goes to show you never know who to trust…” A.J. noted, as he entered the apartment and picked up Damon’s copy of the Chronicle. “Odd name they gave this guy.” He added.
            “Yeah, I would’ve gone with ‘Umbra’ or ‘Ebon’ for a shadow guy. But, the Chronicle calls him ‘Obsidian’, so it’s a little late for me to give him another.” Lois declared as she picked up her suitcase and headed out to her taxi, with A.J. and Damon following her. She gave them both hugs, as she got into the taxi and headed to the airport.
            Damon, still holding his copy of the Chronicle, held it up and looked at the picture of the mysterious superhero known as “Obsidian”. He turned to A.J. and remarked: “You know, if you’re gonna keep doing this, might I suggest you change to something a bit more down the line of Lamont Cranston. This suit makes you look like you’ve escaped a disco in 1976.” Damon gave A.J. a kiss. At least they had finally talked about that suit in his boyfriend’s closet, that Damon had wanted to ask about for week. “Thank heaven you’re not a cosplayer, is all I have to say.” Declared Damon, as they walked back up to their apartment.

The End

Damon Matthews first appeared in Manhunter Vol 3 #1 and was created by Marc Andreyko and Jesús Saíz.
            Dr. Droog first appeared in Adventure Comics #61 and was created by Jack Burnley.
            Lois Lane first appeared in Action Comics #1 and was created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.
            Lucy Lane first appeared in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen #36 and was created by Otto Binder and Curt Swan.
            Molly Mayne (Scott) first appeared in All-American Comics #89 and was created by Robert Kanigher and Irwin Hasen.
            Obsidian first appeared in All-Star Squadron #25 and was created by Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway.
            Tarantula first appeared in Adventure Comics #40 and was created by Gardner Fox and Bert Christman.
            Teeter Sneed first appeared in Adventure Comics #42 and was created by Bert Christman.
            Vivian Dale first appeared in Adventure Comics #40 and was created by Gardner Fox and Bert Christman.

Comment

Trivia

* The names "Umbra" and "Ebon" were considered by DC for the character of Obsidian.

* I changed the name "Todd Rice" to "A.J. Scott" partly out of a need for compression, but also out of a desire to add some mystery to the character.

* The recently deceased relative Lucy and Lois mention was originally going to be Gabe Sullivan, but I felt such a death would have too big of an impact on the show's characters (even began questioning Lois taking this assignment, when she wanted to be there for Chloe, while she was grieving), it would take up too much space. So, I changed it to aunt Margo, as a minor nod to Margo Lane (The two Lanes being related has been suggested in the past). But, as I finally established the Shadow as a fictional character, I changed the name to Margot as an homage to Margot Kidder.

* A.J. Scott mentions the movie Love! Valour! Compassion! Both the original stage version and the film starred John Glover.

* 28 Macondray Lane is better known as 28 Barbary Lane in Tales of the City.

* I considered including an epilogue, down the line of the post-credits scene in Iron Man (2008), where Alan Scott would appear before A.J. and announce that the JSA was officially reforming.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎