Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: #5.22 "The End"

  1. #1
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11,482

    #5.22 "The End"

    They went into this episode prepared that this could end up becoming. Thought that really helped the actors, when they were saying goodbye to Coulson, as they were facing the possibility that this would actually be goodbye.

    Of course, it ended up being Daisy who saves the world. Luckily, Coulson was at least allowed to make a heroic sacrifice. And Mack ends up becoming the new director of S.H.I.E.L.D., not Daisy. Though, I think I read somewhere (months ago) that the actor wasn't going to come back, for a potential season six, so he might not be seen again (apart from maybe a cameo like Fury in S1).

    Will be interesting to see the "past Fitz" return in S6. He's missed everything that happened, after he went into suspended animation. So, he'll be coming back and having to deal with everything that happened with his double (between positives like marrying Jemma to negatives like the other Fitz operating on Daisy, without her consent).

    With Avengers 4 being released nearly a year from now and the sixth season not starting until the summer after that, hopefully, they'll be able to have some of the AoS characters make a cameo in the film.

  2. #2
    Forum Regular AsteroidMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 17
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    334
    For a presumed series finale, this was extremely well written and played out. It makes sense that it wrapped up in a bittersweet-ish sense considering the staff didn't find out they'd be renewed for season 6 until the week the episode aired, which means now they'll have to write up something for them to deal with when the show comes back, which supposedly won't happen until this time next year.

    I know Clark Gregg is shooting for Captain Marvel so he'll be back in the films, which gives him time to also shoot for season 6, assuming there's some focus on him. I do have to wonder how the ending of Infinity War and Avengers 4 will affect what happens over the course of the season, considering the last few episodes all took place in the span of one day.

    I was upset when Fitz died but then noticed they didn't seem extremely broken up about it, and then heard they were gonna go look for "past Fitz" who's still frozen in space and waiting to wake up at the lighthouse.

  3. #3
    1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    in the land of denial
    Posts
    9,248
    Well, I finally got caught up on this season. I have to admit, I am deeply underwhelmed (both by the entire season and by the finale itself).

    For an episode that was supposed to work as a series finale, it just didn't feel 'epic' enough, IMO. The threat was dealt with too quickly (and *sighs* did it really have to be Daisy who took Talbot out? Really?)

    I did like the Coulson/May thing (though I still think their romance seems a little forced) and the callback to Tahiti. Though I honestly can't see Phil Coulson turning away from his duty. What would Cap say? Let alone Fury.

    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    And Mack ends up becoming the new director of S.H.I.E.L.D., not Daisy. Though, I think I read somewhere (months ago) that the actor wasn't going to come back, for a potential season six, so he might not be seen again (apart from maybe a cameo like Fury in S1).
    Mack as Director. Again, what would Fury say? He turned SHIELD over to Coulson and yes, he trusts his judgement but still--! As for the actor, hadn't heard that he wasn't coming back. Interesting. Also, if this really was an all hands on deck sitch, where were Hunter and Bobbi? (I know, RL issues prob kept the two of them from appearing but a throwaway line would have sufficed.)

    Will be interesting to see the "past Fitz" return in S6. He's missed everything that happened, after he went into suspended animation. So, he'll be coming back and having to deal with everything that happened with his double (between positives like marrying Jemma to negatives like the other Fitz operating on Daisy, without her consent).
    I went into the episode spoiled about Fitz's death. And had forgotten about 'cryo' Fitz. So, since Fitz 'died' did Deke blink out of existence? Or, because Fitz is still alive, is he still around? We don't even get to see/hear Deke'es reaction to his grandfather dying? Okay. I do feel like Fitz's death was just for shock value (and it wasn't even that emotional, IMO, because we know he'll be back!). Also, since it was 'future' Fitz who married Jemma, is Jemma still technically married?

    Also, I have to admit, I'm sorry to see Talbot go. He made an interesting foil for the team and Adrian did a good job with the character.

    I was also disappointed there wasn't a bigger tie in to Infinity War. Yes, we got a few mentions on TV to stuff like 'damages' and 'destruction' and whatnot. But that's it? And what about half the population missing?

    And now the wait of almost a year takes place. I realize why they have to wait (with Avengers leaving things unresolved--especially if part 2 takes place right after part 1), they'd have to.

  4. #4
    Custom Title jon-el87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 08
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    11,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Welling_is_pretty View Post
    So, since Fitz 'died' did Deke blink out of existence? Or, because Fitz is still alive, is he still around? We don't even get to see/hear Deke'es reaction to his grandfather dying? Okay. I do feel like Fitz's death was just for shock value (and it wasn't even that emotional, IMO, because we know he'll be back!).
    They never showed what happened to Deke. I remember he mentioned multiverse theory a couple of times. Looking at the comics, Marvel usually credits alternate futures as being part of alternate universes. Meaning that all the Shield agents did was create a timeline/universe, where Graviton was defeated. The other future still exists, but is now part of another universe, where they failed. So, Deke shouldn't have blinked out of existence, as he's actually from the future of another universe. Meaning that, while Jemma and Fitz are biologically his grandparents, their deaths shouldn't affect him. As the Jemma and Fitz of his universe lived and had a daughter, who in turn had Deke.

  5. #5
    We Will Avenge!!! darkphoenix21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 07
    Location
    Where the Galaxy Calls
    Posts
    87,595
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    They never showed what happened to Deke. I remember he mentioned multiverse theory a couple of times. Looking at the comics, Marvel usually credits alternate futures as being part of alternate universes. Meaning that all the Shield agents did was create a timeline/universe, where Graviton was defeated. The other future still exists, but is now part of another universe, where they failed. So, Deke shouldn't have blinked out of existence, as he's actually from the future of another universe. Meaning that, while Jemma and Fitz are biologically his grandparents, their deaths shouldn't affect him. As the Jemma and Fitz of his universe lived and had a daughter, who in turn had Deke.
    And there is another Fitz whos in suspended animation from another timeline. Though, Infinity War will change all that. Time travelers will never return to the world they originally came from.

  6. #6
    1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 05
    Location
    in the land of denial
    Posts
    9,248
    Quote Originally Posted by jon-el87 View Post
    They never showed what happened to Deke. I remember he mentioned multiverse theory a couple of times. Looking at the comics, Marvel usually credits alternate futures as being part of alternate universes. Meaning that all the Shield agents did was create a timeline/universe, where Graviton was defeated. The other future still exists, but is now part of another universe, where they failed. So, Deke shouldn't have blinked out of existence, as he's actually from the future of another universe. Meaning that, while Jemma and Fitz are biologically his grandparents, their deaths shouldn't affect him. As the Jemma and Fitz of his universe lived and had a daughter, who in turn had Deke.
    Good point.

    Time travel can really make for complications, eh? LOL

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •