Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Lifetime

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yippee, yippee yay! 😍 Loved the ILY exchange. I even appreciate Gen.Old Fart Lane. He does have his uses. Thanks as always for great timely updates. Will be almost patiently waiting for more.☺

Comment

Originally posted by Sykobee
      Yippee, yippee yay!  Loved the ILY exchange. I even appreciate Gen.Old Fart Lane. He does have his uses. Thanks as always for great timely updates. Will be almost patiently waiting for more.☺
      He is a bit of an old fart in this fic. The subject of the general will come up again.

Next chapter about to be posted.

Comment

a/n: As mentioned earlier, the interview is done from a slightly different perspective.

Chapter Thirty-Two

Chloe looked forward to her dinners with her cousin whenever she was in town, or whenever Lois managed to visit Star City. Which wasn’t often.

It had been at least three months since the last time they’d managed to get together. Conner was now almost seven months old and she felt confident enough to leave him for a few hours with the nanny, or with her husband. Since Oliver was at a Justice League meeting, then going to dinner with his brother, she wasn’t expecting him back at the hotel until late.

Clark had insisted he was fine with them staying at the clocktower apartment, as they usually did when they were in town, but Oliver had again decided they would stay at the Lexor. Considering the stories that had been circulating in the gossip columns lately, he’d figured it was better that way so Clark and Lois could have the apartment to themselves.

Speaking of whom, Chloe thought as Lois came through the door of the restaurant. She was smiling, looking happier than when Chloe had seen her cousin almost a year earlier.

“Well, you look happy,” she said as she greeted the brunette.

“Ask me why,” Lois said.

Chloe glanced down at Lois’ hand, but her cousin shook her head.

“Uh-uh, not yet. I mean, I know the tabloids have us practically engaged already and swinging from the chandeliers …”

“Clark’s apartment doesn’t have chandeliers,” Chloe interjected.

“Funny,” Lois said with a smirk.

“Okay. I’ll bite. Why are you so happy?”

“I just scored an exclusive interview with Superman,” her cousin replied, grinning from ear to ear. Chloe frowned at her. An interview was nothing new.

“Didn’t you interview him when he first came to Metropolis?”

“Well, yeah, but this is different. This is him answering all those burning questions people have.”

“You mean like, where does he come from, does he have a family, that sort of thing?”

“No, not that. You know how you get certain people criticising every move Superman makes. Like if he makes one little mistake it’s an opportunity for them to condemn him? Well, I managed to sit down with him and get him to talk about it.”

Chloe was surprised since Clark didn’t really like to talk about the issues he had with various critics. Lois must have been very persuasive.

“Wow, that’s great!”

Lois pulled out a couple of pages. “Go ahead, read it.”

Chloe skimmed the article, then read a few of the quotes.

“I am not infallible,” Superman says. “Some people may feel that when you’re a superhero, there is no room for mistakes. That couldn’t be further from the truth.”

When I asked what he thought of various criticism over some of the property damage that has resulted in his apprehension of certain criminals, Superman was apologetic.

“Unfortunately, it happens. I do my best to ensure that innocent people do not get caught in the crossfire but I can’t always do the same for any structures nearby. I can only try to minimise the damage. Sadly, the criminals I fight against do not have the same respect.”

There have been others suggesting that Superman, and others in the Justice League, should be working for the government.

“With all due respect, if we were to work for the government, we may be forced to intervene in affairs which we consider go against every principle the Justice League was formed to uphold. We are not politicians and we prefer not to get involved in civil disputes.”

When I asked him to elaborate a little more, he had this to say:

“If the government wanted to end a bitter conflict with another country quickly, asking me to use my abilities to end the dispute would be announcing that I am taking sides. While I live in the United States and follow its laws, I am here to guide all the people of Earth, not just one part of it. And I cannot take sides in a conflict where innocent people pay the price.”

She looked up at her cousin. “That’s good!” Some of it she would change, if she was editing, but otherwise she liked what she had read.

“Told you.”

“What does Clark think of this?”

“He thinks it’s great,” Lois said. “I showed him the draft before I even sent it.”

Something in her cousin’s expression had Chloe wondering if there had been more to the conversation than the other woman was letting on.

“So, how are things with you and Clark?”

“Oh, they’re great,” she said. “I mean, he hasn’t popped the question yet, but …”

Chloe frowned. “What is he waiting for? You’ve been dating almost seven months.”

“I know, but he probably has a lot to consider, you know?”

She thought it was an odd thing to say, but let it slide and changed the subject.

“So, how did this interview come about?” she asked.

“Clark and I had lunch with my dad the other day,” her cousin replied. “And Dad started attacking Superman. I mean, he first started interrogating Clark, but then he accused Superman of taking the law into his own hands.”

“What did Clark say?”

“What could I say?” Clark said. “If I actually came out and said what I was really thinking he might have figured out I’m Superman. And Lois …”

They had been to dinner with Bruce and were just sitting in the living room of Clark’s apartment, talking.

Oliver frowned at his brother. “What about Lois? She still doesn’t know?”

Bruce smacked Clark lightly in the shoulder. “What the hell are you waiting for? Divine Intervention?”

“Exactly,” Oliver said, nodding. “I mean the two of you are practically engaged and she still doesn’t know the truth? When are you going to tell her, Clark? When the kids start flying around the house?”

“I don’t even know if I can have kids,” Clark returned. “And we haven’t exactly discussed that.”

“It’s not the point. Stop procrastinating and tell her. Don’t think she hasn’t noticed your sudden need to return a DVD or something.”

“Ever heard of Netflix?” Bruce interjected, snickering. Clark shot him a withering look.

“Look, Clark, you’re my little brother and I love you, but you’re being a moron. Lois isn’t stupid. You need to tell her the truth. Before she finds it out for herself.”

“It’s not that simple.”

“It doesn’t have to be that hard!” Oliver returned. “You’re the only one making it that way. When Chloe …”

“First, Chloe figured it out on her own. And second, you’re human!”

Oliver stared at his little brother. Even when they’d been kids, they had never let the little matter of Clark being born on another planet get in-between their relationship. He had never treated his brother any differently for it and it shocked him that Clark would bring it up in this way.

Clark clearly sensed he’d erred. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Then how did you mean it, Clark?”

“I just meant that Lois might change her mind about me when she finds out I wasn’t even born on this planet.”

“Has she given you any reason to?” Bruce asked logically.

“Well, no. I mean, this interview she wanted to do about Superman answering all that criticism, she went out of her way to be supportive.”

“Clark, I hate to say it, but it’s a little late to backpedal. You’re already crazy about her.”

Clark sighed. “I know. That’s why this is so hard. I mean it’s like when she hurts, I hurt.”

“That’s pretty much the definition of love,” Oliver told him.

“Let me get this straight. You love her so much you’re scared to tell her the truth in case she breaks your heart?” Bruce said.

“Well …”

The other man shook his head, sounding amused. “Kal, that is totally screwed-up, even for a human.”

“You have to tell her,” Oliver advised. “You’re never going to be able to share a life together if she doesn’t know who you are. You think it’s hard now? Think how much harder it would be if you suddenly had to leave in an intimate moment. She’s not going to understand.”

“I know, I know! I just … I don’t know how to tell her!”

Oliver put his hands on his brother’s shoulders. Clark was slightly taller than him but it wasn’t much of an effort.

“You want to know the best way to tell her? Just tell her. No fanfare, no …” He looked at Bruce.

“In other words, stop pussy-footing around!” the other man said.

Chloe seemed a little perturbed when he finally got back to the hotel. He said nothing to her until after they’d put Conner to bed.

“Everything okay?” he asked.

“It’s fine,” she said as she got ready for bed.

“Oh. How was dinner with Lois?”

“It was … interesting. Did you know she wrote an interview with Superman?”

“Yeah, Clark told me. He thought she wrote a good article.”

“Not that he’s biased or anything,” Chloe commented. “What I read, it is pretty good. She kept her personal feelings out of it.”

“Well, it’s not like she actually has any personal feelings for Superman,” he replied.

“It’s funny though,” Chloe said as they curled up together under the bedclothes. “Lately she’s been saying stuff about Superman that makes me think she does have feelings for him.”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. It’s nothing I can really put my finger on, but just the way she says it. And then there was something she said tonight. I asked her about Clark and what he was waiting for and she said he ‘probably had a lot to consider’.”

Oliver frowned. That did seem an odd thing for Lois to say, who was usually the type to go in guns blazing. They clearly were in love and while Clark did have a lot to think about, it wasn’t like Lois to just brush it off.

Chloe looked thoughtful for a few moments. “What if she … no, she couldn’t.”

“What?”

“What if she already knows?”

“Knows what?”

Chloe punched his arm. “That he’s Superman, idiot!”

Oliver stared at his wife. He recalled some of the things Clark had said when they’d been talking. His brother had noticed Lois’ attitude toward Superman had changed lately. While she’d mostly kept things professional between them before she and Clark had begun dating, now it was like she was Superman’s number one fan. Or rather more than she previously had been. Then there had been the times when Clark had had to fly off when he was on a date with her. Clark had said she had barely batted an eyelid.

“Oh God, I think you’re right,” he said. “I think she knows!”

Wouldn’t he love to be a fly-on-the-wall for that conversation!
        Last edited by phoenixnz; 08-22-2018, 10:00 PM.

Comment

When I was young people used to often say "Patience is a virtue." My answer was always, "You can gave too much of a good thing and I've got virtue to spare." Arrogance too.
          These days I'm well aware that I have NO patience and right now I just want to scream, more, More. MORE! MORE This is too good! I was so stoked that there was an update so soon and I get to the end of the chapter and it's like discovering there's none of a favorite treat. So on one hand, thank you for another great update. On the other, please may I have some more😇

Comment

When I was young people used to often say "Patience is a virtue." My answer was always, "You can gave too much of a good thing and I've got virtue to spare." Arrogance too.
            These days I'm well aware that I have NO patience and right now I just want to scream, more, More. MORE! MORE This is too good! I was so stoked that there was an update so soon and I get to the end of the chapter and it's like discovering there's none of a favorite treat. So on one hand, thank you for another great update. On the other, please may I have some more
            Well, at least you have some patience. The next instalment of your favourite treat is coming right up.

Comment

Chapter Thirty-Three

Ever since they’d started dating, Clark had thought arguments between them were a thing of the past. Yet they’d ended up arguing over something which he didn’t think was all that significant.

Lois had stormed out of the apartment the night before in a huff. He’d had to go out in the middle of dinner at his place to take care of an emergency. The problem was they’d also been having a serious discussion about their future.

It wasn’t that Lois had been pushing for him to propose. The stories in the local rags certainly took care of that, he thought. He’d been feeling some pressure in the past month with one gossip columnist asking if he was stalling. They’d been together almost seven months, the columnist had claimed. Plenty of time to decide on the question of marriage.

Clark did want to get married. He loved Lois so much that he couldn’t imagine his life without her in it. Yet the problem of his other-worldly heritage was the big stumbling block.

Lois had come back the next morning clearly wanting to get things out in the open.

“Clark, I love you. You know that. But I am tired of you leaving right when we’re having a serious conversation. I mean, why? What are you not telling me?”

He didn’t have an answer for her. He could understand why she was put-out. It did seem like he was avoiding the discussion when he left the way he did, but his own fears of rejection kept him from telling her everything.

“I don’t like giving ultimatums, Clark, but unless you start being honest with me, I don’t know if this relationship has a future.”

It hurt. Dear God, it hurt.

He could still remember the day he’d learned the truth about himself. He’d been eleven. One of the upper classmen at Excelsior had been bullying some of the younger kids, Clark included. His father had told him to just ignore the bully, but he couldn’t stand by and let this jerk beat up innocent boys just to make himself feel powerful.

He’d tried to stand up to the boy, instead of going to Oliver. When the boy had tried to punch him, Clark had hit back, forgetting to hold back his strength. The other boy had flown a good twenty feet before hitting the stone wall of the administration building.

One of the teachers who had witnessed it had immediately pulled Clark into the headmaster’s office. His parents had been called and Oliver was also found and brought in.

“So what happened?” Oliver asked when they were alone.

“I dunno,” Clark said with a shrug.

“Sure you do, squirt. You forgot to control your strength, didn’t you? Didn’t Dad teach you …”

“He deserved it!” Clark shouted, getting up from his seat. “He was beating up all the other little kids and I couldn’t …”

His brother raised his hands. “Hey, I get it. But you can’t just go around beating on those jerks just because you’re stronger than them.”

The headmaster came back into the office. “Boys, I’m afraid your father couldn’t make it, but he asked your uncle to come in his place.”

Clark gulped. Knowing his uncle, he was going to be in for a lecture. Jonathan came in, looking worried.

“Are you okay, son?” he asked, his hands on Clark’s shoulders.

“Yes, sir, I’m okay.”

Jonathan looked at the headmaster. “If it’s all right with you, Mr Reynolds, I’ll take the boys home with me and bring them back over the weekend.”

The dark-skinned man nodded. “I don’t see any need to punish the boy. I’m sure what happened was just an accident. But I do think it wise for Clark to spend a few days away from school until the fuss dies down.”

“What about the other kid?” Jonathan asked.

“He’ll be fine. A broken collarbone, but nothing too serious.” Reynolds looked at Clark, then smiled at Jonathan. “I have had several reports the boy has been bullying Clark and some of the other boys in his class. I’m sure he’s learned his lesson.”

Clark could barely face his aunt and uncle at the dinner table that night. Jack and Jessica were laughing and giggling, clearly having no idea of the seriousness of the incident. Their parents dismissed them, sending them out to the loft to play.

Martha looked at Jonathan. “I think he should know. They both should.”

Clark frowned and glanced at his brother, who looked just as confused.

“Know what?” Clark asked.

He listened incredulously as Jonathan told the incredible story of how his father had found him and his spaceship.

“That’s why you need to be careful, son,” Jonathan said. “If somebody at that school were to think that you had abilities beyond normal people, the government could investigate.”

“You mean they’d take me away and study me?” Clark asked. He remembered a movie Oliver had taken him to last summer. He felt suddenly dry-mouthed, almost trapped.

He thought about it a lot that weekend and finally came to the decision that he could never tell anyone his secret. Not unless it was someone he trusted completely.

He stood at the picture window, looking out over the city. He had seen the reluctance in Lois’ expression when she’d given him the ultimatum. She was right. The only way they could share a life together was for everything to be out in the open. It was as his mother had said months ago. She deserved to know exactly what she was getting into.

“Mr Queen?”

He turned and looked at his housekeeper. “Yes?”

“Your mother is here,” she said.

He frowned, but stood waiting as his mother came up in the elevator. She greeted him with a hug as she came in.

“Lois called me,” she said. “She sounded very upset over the phone.”

Clark wasn’t surprised Lois would confide in his mother. The two women had grown extremely close in the past few months.

“I guess this last time was probably just the last straw.”

Moira sat him down. “Sweetheart, you need to talk to her.”

“I know, Mom.”

“No, I don’t think you do. If you don’t tell her the truth, you will lose her. Is that really what you want?”

“No,” he said with a sigh.

“Then go, and don’t come back until you’ve told her everything.”

“Mom …”

“I mean it, Clark. Lois is the best thing that ever happened to you and if you let her go, you will regret it for the rest of your life.”

“However long that is,” he replied.

“Stop stalling.”

He got up to leave but then turned back to her. “What if she won’t …”

She pushed him. “You don’t know unless you give her that chance.”

“What if …”

His mother huffed. “Clark Joseph Queen, I swear, if you don’t get out of here I will push you off that goddamn balcony myself!”

“You wouldn’t,” he began to say but saw from her expression that she was deadly serious.

He drove to Lois’ apartment. Dot answered the door. The woman had obviously heard everything from her roommate as she did not look happy to see him. She reminded him a lot of his mother. She was a few years older than Moira and had three adult children herself. It was clear she wasn’t the type to stand for nonsense.

“Is Lois here?” he said.

“That depends. Are you here to apologise or break her heart some more?”

“Uh …”

“I’ll take that as a no comment. Wait here.” She turned from the doorway and walked through the living room down the hall to Lois’ bedroom. He chose not to eavesdrop on the conversation. Lois came out and began walking toward him, Dot following.

“Lois, there’s something I …” He was acutely conscious of the glare from the sixty-year-old woman. “Uh, could we go for a walk?” he asked.

She was silent but nodded, grabbing her keys from the table. He waited as she joined him, telling her roommate she wouldn’t be long.

Lois’ apartment was about two blocks from Centennial Park, thus a short enough distance for them to walk. It was a good thing that the local press had decided they were too boring for good copy, otherwise he knew he wouldn’t have been able to do this.

He was still nervous, worried that she wouldn’t take it well, but knew his mother was right. If he didn’t tell her, he would very likely lose her.

“What did you want to talk to me about?” she asked as they reached the park.

He took a deep breath. “Have you ever … uh, thought, no, I mean …” God, why was this so hard.

“Clark, why are you so nervous?”

“Because I’m afraid, Lois. All my life, I’ve tried to fit in, to be something I’m not.”

“And what exactly is that?” she asked.

Here goes. “Well, you know how I was adopted.” She nodded. “It’s kind of, well, unusual how I came to live with the Queens. See, when I said that they found me, I mean, they literally found me. Wandering a field in Smallville, after the meteor shower. My birth parents … I guess it’s natural to assume that they died that day, but they didn’t.”

“So, how did they die?”

“Um, this won’t be easy for you to hear, and probably a little confusing.”

“Clark, you’re kind of going around in circles.”

He sat her down on a park bench.

“I guess that’s because you’re the first person I’ve voluntarily told this to, Lois. You once asked Superman about his family.”

“Yes, and he said that he couldn’t tell me anything because he needed to protect them. That one of his enemies could hurt them to get back at him if they knew the truth.”

“That’s why I’ve never told anyone this. I made a decision a long time ago not to do that because of that. And … well, I was afraid that if I did finally find someone I trusted enough to tell this to, they might hate me for it.”

“How could anyone hate you, Clark?” she said. “And you know I love you. Whatever it is, you can trust me.”

“I’m Superman.”

He bowed his head as silence ensued. He waited for the explosion. For her to get up and walk away. Anything other than this long drawn-out silence.

He felt her hand on his cheek and looked at her.

“I know,” she said softly, kissing him gently on the lips.

He stared at her. “You …”

“I’ve known for months,” she said. “It was the night we had that Children’s Heart thing.”

He remembered that vividly. How he had planned to join her upstairs but had heard a car-jacking. He'd no sooner sorted that out when he had been called to something else. A couple of hours later he had gone out to Suicide Slum to break up a gang war and discovered the warehouse where they'd been processing the serum used on Trax as a drug. He’d been caught inside the warehouse, unable to do anything due to the exposure to Kryptonite. The next time he had seen Lois, she had been acting a little oddly.

He should have known. Lois was too astute not to have noticed there was something different about him. His mind went over all the things she had said in the past few months since that incident and he realised she had been giving him hints all along but he hadn’t seen it. He’d been too busy avoiding the whole subject, letting his fears dictate his actions.

“There’s more,” he said. “So much more. I’m not … I was born on another planet.”

“I figured that out too,” she told him with a smile. “When I saw you were in pain from that meteor rock, I realised it wasn’t the rock that gave you your powers. Therefore, you weren’t human.”

“And you never said …”

“I was waiting for you to tell me,” she said. “I realised how terrifying it must have been for you, growing up knowing what you were, what you are. How lonely. I began thinking about my own childhood, and I know it’s not really the same thing, but I know how lonely it was for me, moving around from base to base, never really having any long-lasting friendships. Feeling like an outcast.”

He nodded. He’d sensed that of all the people he knew, even his family, Lois was probably the one person who could empathise.

“Tell me,” she said. “Tell me everything.”

He slowly told her the truth. About Krypton and how the civilisation had slowly destroyed itself. About the war that had torn his world apart and the desperate search by his father to save the planet and its people. She listened quietly, without interjecting.

She was sombre when he finished.

“Why did you wait so long to tell me?” she asked.

“I was afraid,” he replied. “I thought if you knew the truth, you could never accept me. My mom told me a long time ago to tell you, but I … I just couldn’t.” He looked at her. “Why didn’t you tell me you knew?”

“I needed time to come to terms with it myself. Believe me, when I did find out, the first thing I thought was, could we really have a real relationship. Dot was watching this movie about an inter-racial relationship and it made me think about our situation. I realised it didn’t matter to me if you were a Russian or a Martian. What mattered was how I felt about you.”

She went on. “Besides, I figured you needed time yourself. And I thought, it’s sort of like the issues we have with you being the owner of the Daily Planet. I mean, yeah, there are likely to be problems and people say dumb things about us and think I get all the good stories because we’re together, but we’ve never let that change how we feel about each other.”

He smiled for the first time since telling her the truth. “You’re right.”

She shifted on the bench, moving to sit on his lap. He wrapped his arms around her waist, kissing her gently.

“You can do better than that, Superman,” she purred softly.

Comment

Fantabulous! Spiffydooda! Yipperiffic!
                Also triple helpings of gratitude covered Thank yous
                And lastly, more. Much, much more. Please.

Comment

This story is lovely! After each chapter, I find myself saying "awww"... Thank you for writing it, and for updating it so frequently. I am so glad someone is still writing about this special couple. Just, thank you!

Comment

Fantabulous! Spiffydooda! Yipperiffic!
                    Also triple helpings of gratitude covered Thank yous
                    And lastly, more. Much, much more. Please.
                    I have to admit, I love coming in here and seeing your replies. You're wonderful.

Originally posted by theo67
                    This story is lovely! After each chapter, I find myself saying "awww"... Thank you for writing it, and for updating it so frequently. I am so glad someone is still writing about this special couple. Just, thank you!
                    That's so sweet of you to say. Thank you. Welcome to the forum. Feel free to check out any of my other Clois stories.

Comment

• Chapter Thirty-Four

As much as she loved her boyfriend, Lois didn’t appreciate him bursting into laughter when she emerged from her bedroom carrying two heavy suitcases.

“Lois, we’re only going to Star City, not to the moon.”

She rolled her eyes at him. “So? This suitcase,” she said, putting a hand on the red one, “is full of my stuff. You did say we’d have to go to a couple of dinners.”

“It’s only for a week,” he said.

She ignored him, pointing to the blue suitcase. “That contains gifts for my nephew.”

“Who also happens to be my nephew,” he pointed out. “And both Chloe and Oliver would kill me if I turned the kid into a spoiled brat before he could talk. Or walk, for that matter.”

“I never had anyone to spoil before,” she said. “Sue me. Besides, it’s only a couple of sweaters Dot knitted and a couple of toys I made.”

“You knit?” he asked, looking as if he was fighting the urge to laugh.

She glared at him. Why was it so unusual for someone like her to knit?

“Yes, if you must know.” She poked him in the chest. “You might be able to fly, Superman, but I can still take you.”

“Really?” he replied. “I’m sure you could,” he added with much sarcasm.

She narrowed her eyes. “You, Mr Queen, are a very bad man.”

He laughed. “What are you going to do about it?”

“You think I don’t know how to get you back?” she asked.

“I know you can’t.”

“Yeah? Try sleeping on the couch the entire week we’re there.”

He didn’t seem fazed in the slightest. “Uh, Lois, FYI, it’s a mansion. There are ten bedrooms.”

“Don’t even think about it, fly-boy! Your mother loves me and if I whisper one word in her ear …”

That got him, she thought, watching his face pale.

“You wouldn’t!”

“Wouldn’t I? You just watch me.”

She had to admit that she got a kick out of being able to tease him, especially for his abilities. She had already given him a few nicknames: one being fly-boy, the other being space-boy. He’d rolled his eyes at every one of them but she knew he secretly enjoyed it.

He picked up the suitcases. “Come on, jet’s waiting.”

She pouted at him. He’d taken her flying not long after he’d told her everything. She’d initially been a little worried, thinking he might drop her, even though she had actually flown with him once before, but once they were up in the air, seeing the lights of the city below, she had forgotten to be nervous.

“What? We’re not going Superman Air?”

“That cute pout of yours is only going to get you so far, Lane!”

She exaggerated the pout, trying not to smile and ruin the effect.

“What? This one?” she asked.

“Yeah, that one.” He bent and captured her lips with his.

“Mmm,” she moaned softly.

The flight itself was uneventful. As soon as they touched down on the private airstrip in Star City, Lois was greeted with hugs, first from Moira, then from Chloe. Oliver was holding seven-month-old Conner.

The brothers shook hands before Oliver gave her a one-armed hug. He had been stunned to learn exactly how she had discovered the truth about Clark, but she had refrained from teasing her in-law about his green leather fetish.

“Come on, let’s get out of this heat,” he said, guiding her toward the waiting limousine.

She had noticed the rise in temperature as soon as she left the air-conditioned cabin of the plane and stepped on the tarmac. It was a hundred degrees and getting hotter by the minute. Clark, she saw, wasn’t even sweating.

She frowned at him. “You don’t even feel the heat, do you?”

“Actually, I don’t feel the changes in temperatures most people do,” he said. “Which made for some odd looks at school, I can tell you.”

“Except for those first few times when your heat vision developed,” Oliver remarked. Lois looked at him. As far as she knew, he hadn’t even been there for it, since he’d been on the island. “Mom told me,” the blond man qualified.

He explained that when Clark’s heat vision first developed, he’d looked like he had a raging fever.

“So, uh, how, exactly does that work?” she asked.

Clark bit his lower lip, clearly embarrassed. “Uh, it’s activated by, um, hormones.”

“Hormones?” she asked. “As in …” She couldn’t help it. She looked down at the crotch of his jeans.
                      Her boyfriend looked even more embarrassed. She began to laugh.

“Well, that certainly puts a whole new perspective on the concept of prem …”

He clapped a hand over her mouth. “Don’t even say it, Lane. Don’t even think it.”

Moira shot her a knowing look, a hand over her own mouth as if she was fighting not to laugh at her poor, beleaguered youngest son. Clark practically sulked the rest of the way home. Poor baby, Lois thought, deciding not to continue teasing him over it.

Lois had stayed at the Star City mansion once before, when Chloe and Oliver had got married. She had expected something ostentatious, yet it looked like a normal house. Well, apart from the fact it was three times the size of one, she thought.

A housekeeper greeted them on their arrival and a maid or whatever arranged for the bags to be taken upstairs. She led them out to the patio where they could sit and relax in the shade. A pitcher of lemonade was sitting on the glass-topped table. The glasses had also been chilled, making the lemonade cool and refreshing.

Lois sat in-between her cousin and Moira, talking quietly, while Clark and Oliver sat on the other side of the table. Clark had his nephew on his knee, bouncing the little boy up and down. Conner was giggling, clearly enjoying his uncle’s horseplay.

The housekeeper came out a short time later to announce that dinner would be ready in fifteen minutes.

Lois looked at Clark. “I should go change,” she said. Her clothes were a little damp with perspiration.

He nodded and told her to follow him. She assumed he would take her to one of the guest rooms. Despite knowing his secret, they still hadn’t slept together. She wasn’t in any rush and wasn’t going to push him into something he might not be ready for.

Clark stopped at a room down the end of a corridor.

“So, this is my room,” he said.

He opened the double doors and stood aside to let her in. She looked around. The room had been decorated with a slightly masculine feel to it. The bed cover was plain, in a navy blue. There was a large canvas on the wall above the headboard of a scene she recognised from the beach below.

“I took photography my senior year at Excelsior,” Clark explained, seeing what she was gazing at. “My mom loves that shot.”

“It’s good,” she said. “Do you still do it?”

“My work as Superman doesn’t really allow me much time, but I do when I can.” He crossed the floor to a bookcase and pulled out an album. “Here.”

He opened the book to show her a page of photographs of what appeared to be a region in the upper North.

“There’s Great Bear Lake,” he said. “I took that four years ago.”

“Was that around the time of the wedding?” she asked.

He put the album down on the bed. “Yeah. I really did want to be there, but …”

“What really happened? I mean, were you really trapped in the Arctic?”

“Well, no,” he said. “But I couldn’t leave either. See, I was training, with my birth father.”

“Wait, back up. I thought your birth father was dead?” she said, staring at him.

“Sorry, I know there’s been a lot to take in the past couple weeks. See, I have this sort of fortress in the Arctic. It contains a library. Well, it’s not like a library you’d have here. It’s kind of hard to explain. But my father Jor-El created it. He downloaded his knowledge and his memories and created a way for me to interact with him. Anyway, he wouldn’t let me leave to be at Oliver’s wedding.”

“Why?”

“I guess he thought my training was more important. Oliver sort of agreed with him.”

Lois nodded. Jor-El reminded her a little of her own father, who was so rigid in his ways that he would never consider another option.

“Anyway, your stuff is in here,” he said, leading her to a walk-in closet. It was bigger than the one he had at his Metropolis apartment. He looked at her, uncertainty in his expression. “I didn’t want to assume but I thought …”

She nodded, placing her hand in his and tilting her head up for a kiss.

"I know. And whatever happens, happens."

She discovered the maid had also unpacked her toiletries. Lois went to quickly freshen up and changed into a light dress. It was loose and flowing, letting her skin breathe. She brushed her hair, leaving it down.

Clark was waiting for her outside the bathroom, ready to escort her down to dinner. She let him take her hand and they walked out of the bedroom together.

Dinner was quiet but not uncomfortably so. The two men appeared to be lost in thought. Chloe sent her occasional glances but didn't make any comment.

The family took a stroll through the grounds while it was still light. Moira walked beside her.

"I'm glad Clark finally told you the truth," she said.

"Me too. I mean, I thought I knew everything but the past couple of weeks it's been a lot to take in. I get why he hid it for so long though. It must have been so lonely for him growing up."

Moira looked at her youngest son, who was talking quietly with Oliver on the path ahead of them.

"He had Oliver, and his friends, but ..."

"Somehow it's not the same," she finished.

Moira smiled at her. “Well, now he has you.”

As the evening wore on, the family decided to chat in the parlour. Lois began yawning, realising that where it was just after nine here, it was after eleven in Kansas. She got up, deciding to go to bed. Clark rose from his seat.

“Are you all right?” he asked.

“I’m fine. Just tired. I forgot Kansas is two hours ahead of Star City. I’m gonna go to bed, but you stay. Be with your family.”

He hesitated. “Are you sure?”

She smiled at him and stood on tiptoe to kiss him. “I’m sure. I’ll be fine.”

She fell asleep before he came up to bed but woke up fairly early in the morning. She rolled over, seeing his handsome face in the dim light of dawn. He must have sensed she was awake as he opened his eyes.

“Hi,” he said sleepily.

“Hi yourself,” she returned.

“I hope I didn’t wake you last night. You looked so peaceful.”

“You didn’t.”

He grinned. “Great. So, what do you wanna do today?”

She was tempted to say she wanted to lie in bed with him, but knew he had a board meeting that morning.

“I thought after your meeting is over we could go and check out some of the sights. Do the tourist thing.”

“That sounds great. In the meantime, how do you feel about an early morning swim in the ocean?” The beach was barely half a block away.

“Well, as long as you’re there to save me from Jaws, Superman, I’d say lead me to it.”

He laughed. “You know, attacks from Great Whites are actually very rare.”

“It only takes one,” she returned.

“Okay, fine. I promise. If, in the rare event that you are stalked by Jaws, I will be there to save you. And I always will.”

She giggled. “You are such a sap.”

On their last day in Star City, the family had been invited to a charity ball. Lois had chosen to wear a strapless gown in black silk. She had pinned her hair up using a jewelled comb and strappy black sandals. Clark’s eyes lit up when he saw what she was wearing. Then again, lately she had noticed his whole face lit up whenever she entered the room. She had no doubt she had the same kind of expression whenever she saw him.

I guess we’re both saps, she thought, recalling what she’d said to him earlier in the week.

She watched him during the ball, noticing how he stood that much taller. It was almost as if he was floating on air, which, knowing him, would have been literal.

Chloe handed her a glass of champagne.

“I was right, you know.”

“About what?”

“You and Clark. You two are so great together.”

Lois smiled. She’d initially doubted her cousin’s matchmaking skills when Chloe had first mentioned a blind date with her brother-in-law, but she had been right all along.

“Yeah, we are,” she agreed. “I love him, Chlo. More than I’ve ever loved anyone.”

“I can see he feels the same way about you,” Chloe said as Clark caught them watching and sent Lois a loving smile. “I’m glad. He needed someone like you.”

“As much as I needed him,” Lois returned. “I honestly had given up on dating. Even though we didn’t get along in the beginning, I realise now he was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. He’s not just my best friend. He’s … everything.”

“I know what you mean. I felt the same way when I finally let Ollie into my life. And now look at us. We’re married and we have a beautiful little boy.”

That was the one thing that was missing from her relationship. Lois had never really considered herself much of a traditionalist, but she knew now she wouldn’t be completely satisfied until she had it all.

It was dark when they returned to the house. Lois wasn’t sleepy and Clark suggested they go for a walk in the grounds. The paths were well-lit with floodlights.

“Do you ever think about the future?” Lois asked.

“Sure,” he said.

“What do you see for us?”

“Hmm, it’s hard to say. A home, I guess. I imagine in a couple of years you’ll have your first Pulitzer.”

“And you’ll have written that book you’ve always talked about.”

He smiled. “I’ll let you in on a little secret. Jor-El was my chief source of information on most of those articles.”

“Jor-El?”

He nodded. “Krypton was already dying when Zod tried to take over the ruling council. It was one of the things Jor-El wanted me to warn Earth about. If things continue on as they are, then Earth’s environment will go the same way as Krypton. It might take a few hundred years, but it will happen.”

It was understandable that Clark’s birth father would want to prevent the same fate on Earth.

They walked a little more. Lois stopped and turned to him.

“I’ve been thinking a lot about us lately. About what I want.”

He looked at her. “Which is?”

“I want a home. A family. I never really thought I’d be a good mom, but I know you’ll be a great dad. So, I was thinking. No, I wanted to ask.” She took a deep breath. “Will you marry me, Clark?”

Comment

• Great Googley-moogley!, she popped the question! 💍 Hot day-um that woman knows what she wants and is fast after him. Still I like the subtle variations on the well established characters. I was surprised Lois didn't razz Mr. Greenjeans a bit. I can't wait to see how they move. forward. Do you know how many more chapters are left? I'm not ready for the ride to be over. I just want more. . . I think I've developed a Clois addiction. However I consider myself a high-quality-Clois snob. Not just any Clois will do. Yeah, okay. That sounds a bit fruity in the loops, even to me. 🤓 Well, again, you never disappoint and I enjoy your work immensely; the least I can do is express my appreciation. Have a great weekend 😊 I'm off to corral my crazy🙃
                        Last edited by Sykobee; 08-18-2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Just caught up with the latest chapters and boy I’m hot!!
                          I just loved how you’ve written this - I look forward to read more!
                          Hope everything is well with you and your family!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sykobee
                            Great Googley-moogley!, she popped the question!  Hot day-um that woman knows what she wants and is fast after him. Still I like the subtle variations on the well established characters. I was surprised Lois didn't razz Mr. Greenjeans a bit. I can't wait to see how they move. forward. Do you know how many more chapters are left? I'm not ready for the ride to be over. I just want more. . . I think I've developed a Clois addiction. However I consider myself a high-quality-Clois snob. Not just any Clois will do. Yeah, okay. That sounds a bit fruity in the loops, even to me. 邏 Well, again, you never disappoint and I enjoy your work immensely; the least I can do is express my appreciation. Have a great weekend  I'm off to corral my crazy
                            I loved the idea of Lois being the one popping the question. We both know she's the kind of woman who knows what she wants and doesn't waste any time getting it.

What can I say about your Clois addiction? Other than the fact that I feel privileged you appreciate what I do.

Originally posted by TheCloisLover
                            Just caught up with the latest chapters and boy I’m hot!!
                            I just loved how you’ve written this - I look forward to read more!
                            Hope everything is well with you and your family!
                            Aww, thank you. I'm glad you managed to catch up. Family is fine, my mum is slowly recovering from major surgery.

Comment

• Chapter Thirty-Five

Clark had never been much for traditions and he wasn’t surprised Lois was the one who asked that all-important question. He had been planning on asking her himself when they got back to Metropolis, but it just seemed right that she was the one who had proposed.

He hadn’t even got around to getting her a ring, but he was hoping his mother still had his grandmother’s engagement ring. It wasn’t ostentatious by any means, but he thought Lois would love it. It was a little over one carat, round solitaire diamond set in yellow gold. His grandfather had given it to his grandmother when he’d proposed to her on a cruise.

“Clark?” Lois appeared uncertain.

“Yes,” he said.

She broke out in a brilliant smile, wrapping her arms around his neck to kiss him. They slowly began walking back to the house.

“Oh god, I can’t believe I did that,” Lois said. “It just felt …”

“Like the right moment,” he finished. “I know.”

“I don’t even have a ring,” she told him.

“I have an idea about that, but I was going to talk to my mom tonight.”

“So you were …”

“Thinking about it, yeah.”

She grinned at him. “Great minds, huh?” She hesitated as they turned toward the path leading to the terrace doors. “Let’s not say anything just yet. Not until tomorrow, anyway.”

“Got something in mind?” he asked her.

She smiled slyly and traced her finger over his shirt. “I might have,” she replied.

He followed her into the house. Chloe and his mother were in the salon, sipping tea in delicate china cups.

“Have a nice walk, darling?” Moira asked.

“Yes, Mom,” he said. Lois shot him a look and shifted her gaze toward the hallway. He let go of her hand, torn between asking his mother about the ring and following the woman he loved upstairs.

“Well, I’m beat,” Lois said, faking a yawn. “I’m gonna go up to bed. Good night.”

For someone who pretended she was tired, she certainly didn’t show it as she left the room almost as if her butt was on fire. She shot him a seductive look.

“You know what?” he said. “I’m feeling a little that way myself.” He bent and kissed his mother’s cheek before turning to Chloe. “Good night.”

She grinned knowingly at him. “Good night Clark.”

He wasn’t surprised to hear his sister-in-law murmur to his mother as he joined Lois in the hallway.

“No prizes for guessing what those two are up to.”

“It’s a good thing the walls are thick,” Moira responded with a laugh.

Clark grinned. Lois looked at him. “What’s so funny?”

“I’ll tell you upstairs,” he said.

She grinned. “Last one up is a rotten egg.”

“You do know who you’re talking to,” he replied.

“Yeah. In my book, Superman, that’s called cheating.”

He huffed. “Fine. Normal speed then.”

“Ready. Set.” Before she said the word ‘go’ she was off. He couldn’t help laughing as he chased her up the stairs and to his bedroom. He managed to catch her before she reached the doorway and wrapped his arms around her.

“You, Miss Lane, are a cheater.”

“So, what are you going to do about it?” she asked, gazing up at him with a smirk.

“Hmm, let me think.” He scooped her up in his arms and carried her into the room, laying her on the bed. She wrapped her arms around his neck and refused to let go.

“Kiss me,” she said.

He did so, putting all his passion for her in the kiss. She somehow managed to roll over so she was on top of him. He looked up at her, watching as she reached behind her to slowly unzip her dress, revealing the strapless bra underneath.

She got off the bed, kicking her shoes off and let the dress drop in a pool of black silk. She stood, clad only in her bra and panties, then reached up behind her back to unhook the bra.

“No,” he said quietly, watching her from the bed.

She nodded and returned to the bed. Clark rolled over, unbuttoning his shirt and pants at quicker than normal speed. Lois’ eyes widened as she realised he had undressed faster than she could see.

“Well, I bet that comes in handy,” she said as he got back on the bed.

“Well, normally, I use it to …” She put a finger on his lips.

“No,” she said softly. “I don’t need to know. I just need you to love me.”

“That I can do,” he replied, pulling her into his arms and lowering her to the mattress with a deep, passionate kiss.

His first time he had been aware of the need to control his abilities, afraid he would hurt the woman he was with, but with Lois, he didn’t need to worry. He realised that it had been not just an issue of self-confidence but a feeling of rightness.

Lois lay in his arms after they’d made love.

“Want to hear something crazy?” she said.

“Sure.”

“I only slept with a couple of guys before you and none of them ever made me feel like I do now.”

“I know. There have been other women, but I haven’t really wanted to be, you know, intimate with them.”

She looked up at him. “I love you, Clark.”

“I love you, Lois.”

Next morning, he left her sleeping and went downstairs. The sun was just rising as he walked out on the terrace.

“Good morning, sweetheart. Did you sleep well?”

He turned to look at his mother. She was sitting at the glass-topped table with a glass of orange juice.

“Yeah, we did. Uh, Mom, you know Grandma’s ring?”

“Her engagement ring? It’s in the safe, honey. Why? Were you thinking of proposing to Lois?”

He sat down next to her. “Actually, Lois asked me last night.”

His mother grinned. “Why am I not surprised? You two have never really done things the traditional way, have you?”

“Not really.”

Lois came out, a kimono robe over a nightdress and her favourite pair of bunny slippers on her feet. Clark had bought them for her when she’d complained that Trax had destroyed her old ones. She had tried to make a joke of it, saying of all the things he had damaged in his wake, the pair of slippers was the only thing she missed the most.

“Good morning,” she said, giving Clark a kiss as she slipped into the seat next to him.

“So, Clark was just telling me the good news,” Moira said. “I’m thrilled for you both.”

“What good news?” Chloe asked, carrying Conner out. He looked sleepy-eyed and grumpy. Lois reached for her nephew and held him on her lap. Oliver had followed his wife out, his blond hair sticking up in all directions. Clark had heard him returning from patrol around two in the morning. There was no such thing as sleeping in when there was a baby in the house.

“We’re getting married,” she told her cousin.

Oliver clapped his brother on the back. “Well, it’s about time!”

“Uh, thanks?” he said, shooting a glare at the older man who appeared to be mentally congratulating himself. He had it on good authority that Oliver and his wife had some kind of bet going on how long it would take them to get engaged. Whatever the bet was, it seemed Ollie had won.

“Well, I suppose we’d better make an announcement in the paper,” his mother said.

“Do we have to?” Clark asked, making a face.

“Yes, darling, I’m afraid you do. Or do you want the local gossip rag to report it first?”

“We don’t have to do a press conference though, do we?” Lois asked.

“Not if you don’t want to,” Oliver said. “We didn’t.”

Thank goodness for that, Clark thought. He slipped away from the table as the maid began to serve breakfast and went to the safe in the study. His father had commissioned one of their own techs to design a safe that, while not infallible, would at least be difficult to break into. Unless the would-be thief had superpowers.

Instead of behind a painting, as most usually were, the safe had been installed in the floor. The house had been modernised some years ago, to make it not only safe in the occasional earthquake, but also temperature-controlled. They’d created a space for the safe as well.

He placed his thumb on the scanner and waited for his identity to be confirmed. The lock clicked and he opened the door, quickly finding the ring box.

“Is it all right?”

He looked up at his mother before checking the ring inside.

“It’s perfect,” he said.

She took the box from him. “I’m glad you chose to use your grandmother’s ring. I think she would have wanted you to. And I meant what I said out there. I’m thrilled for you both. I liked Lois the moment I met her. Yes, she can be a little brash at times, but she has a good heart. Just like you, my darling.”

He hugged her. “Thanks Mom. It means a lot that you approve.”

“She makes you happy, and that’s all I’ve ever wanted for you.”

He secured the safe again and put his arm around her shoulders as they left the room. Lois smiled up at him as they came out.

“Everything okay?” she asked.

He nodded, placing the ring box on the table. “This belonged to my grandmother,” he said. “I want you to have it.”

Lois opened the box and looked at the ring, smiling as she examined it. “It’s beautiful,” she said. “I love it already.”

He took his fiancee’s hand and slid the ring on her finger. “It’s a perfect fit,” he said.

“Just like you two,” Chloe said, grinning down at her infant son who babbled something that sounded like approval.

Two days later, Lois came into his office carrying a newspaper. Their engagement announcement had appeared in the online version of the Planet the day before and would be in the printed version that day.

“Thought you should see this,” she said, showing him the Metropolis Journal. He knew the managing editor, Carrie Castle. She had once sent a reporter to do an exposè on his family by having them corner him at school. Unlike most society columnists, the Journal’s one was at least fairly decent. She had backed off when asked.

CLARK QUEEN ENGAGED TO LOIS LANE

It’s official! Daily Planet publisher Clark Queen and his reporter love Lois Lane are engaged.

Sources say the couple decided to marry while on vacation in Star City. It’s not clear who popped the question but knowing them as I do, I doubt they chose the traditional route.

A date for the wedding has not been decided.

Queen’s mother, Moira Queen, told this reporter she is delighted with the news.

“It’s wonderful!” she said. “I’ve known Lois almost four years and she is a lovely young woman.”

Lois Lane also happens to be the cousin of Chloe Sullivan-Queen, who is married to Clark’s older brother, Oliver.

Mrs Sullivan-Queen, also a renowned journalist, has said she is ‘absolutely thrilled’ for the couple and wished them every happiness.

A statement was sought from General Sam Lane, who is currently based in Washington D.C, but his office declined to comment on his daughter’s engagement.

Clark sighed. They’d called the general’s office when they’d returned to Metropolis but he had refused to take the call. Lois had been disappointed in her father’s attitude, but unsurprised. They’d even tried to contact Lucy, but Lois had no number for her and her sister didn’t even have a social media account.

“I’m sorry about your dad,” he said.

She shrugged. “I’ve given up trying to figure that man out. If he wants to be part of my life, he knows how to contact me. I’m not going to waste my energy on someone who continually criticises my life choices. Same with Lucy. If she doesn’t care enough to tell me where she is, then I don’t need the heartache.”

Clark pulled her into his lap, wrapping his arms around her in a comforting hug. She kissed him.

“I have you now,” she said. “And Chloe, and Ollie and your mom. You’re all the family I need.”

Comment

• a/n: Yes, I did take a couple of lines from Icarus.

Chapter Thirty-Six

Lois wasn’t surprised that the news of their engagement spread like wildfire, not only through the newspaper itself, but also through her contacts. Some of them, like Bobby, were genuinely happy for her, while others were quick to snort in derision.

Cat Grant had obviously learned her lesson after Clark had reprimanded her. The other woman had been away on assignment when Lois had returned to work after the week away. The blonde stared in shock at the ring on Lois’ finger when they bumped into each other in the lobby.

“Oh my God! Lois Lane! Are you expecting?”

Lois glared at her. “Spread that rumour and you can expect my fist in your face. Not to mention yet another reprimand from our boss and my fiancé.”

Cat bit her lip. “I’m sorry. I just … I’m happy for you. Clark’s a great guy.”

Well, that was a bit of a turnaround. “Um, thanks.”

The other woman began saying something else but was thankfully interrupted by Clark. Lois smiled at him.

“Hi.”

“Good morning, Lois. Cat. Lois, can I talk to you for a second?”

“Sure.” She let him pull her aside. “What is it?”

He sighed. “We have to go to this stupid ball on Friday night. Lex is hosting it at the Lexor Hotel.” He huffed. “Sorry, I only just got the invite. It’s one of those things you’ll have to get used to when we get married.”

“Honey, it’s okay. I expected this. Your mom and I had a long talk before we left Star City. I’m guessing I need to go find a ballgown.”

He nodded. “Yeah.”

“Anything particular in mind?”

“No. I’m sure you’ll find something. You always have such great taste.”

“Mm, but you’re biased.”

He grinned. “Yeah, I am.” He kissed her. “See you tonight?”

She nodded. They had talked about her moving in with him but she was yet to agree. Now that they were engaged, and sleeping together, she guessed it was inevitable, but she didn’t want to rush things.

She caught up on some of her story leads and went out to talk to a couple of her contacts, deciding that her lunch break was as good a time as any to go shopping. She had gone online and found a boutique which specialised in evening gowns a couple of blocks from the Planet.

A bell chimed above the door as she entered. It appeared to be one of those old-fashioned type stores with square glass panes framed in wood in the door. The shop itself was about the same size as her office, with racks of dresses lining the walls and a stand in the middle of the room. Full-length mirrors had been installed between the racks so the shopper could study their reflection.

“Can I help …”

Lois turned and stared at the girl who had emerged from a curtained doorway. Her eyes widened.

“Lucy?”

Her little sister stared back at her. “Lois!”

“What are you … I didn’t even know you were …”

An older woman had followed. “Lucy, are you … oh, Lois Lane! Goodness, Lucy is your sister.” She smacked her forehead. “I never even thought to consider you might be related but I see the family resemblance.”

Lois frowned at the woman. She was an attractive woman, about five or six years older than Lois. She had long, wavy black hair which worked perfectly with her dusky skintone “Uh, sorry, but …”

“Oh dear. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t forget my manners. I’m Jenna Goldsmith. This is my shop.”

“Your shop?”

“Yes. I designed all the gowns you see here. Lucy is … well, I suppose you could call her my apprentice.”

Lucy bit her lip. “I’m taking fashion design at Met U and I work here part-time,” she said. “I’m sorry I’ve been, I mean, I’m sorry I haven’t called to tell you. I … things have been so crazy for a while and I thought you were still angry at me about that stunt I pulled when you were in college.”

Lois frowned at her sister. Lucy had somehow got involved with a criminal faction while she’d been at boarding school in Switzerland. She had come to Metropolis hoping her sister would get her out of a bind and had ended up stealing a car from the Kansas State campus. Fortunately, the owner of the car hadn’t held it against Lois.

Lucy had never returned to finish her senior year at boarding school and had dropped out of sight.

Jenna smiled at Lucy. “She’s really very talented,” she said.

Lucy blushed. “Thank you.” She turned back to Lois. “Um, congratulations. On your engagement, I mean. I thought about calling, but …”

“It’s all right,” Lois assured her sister. “I was mad for a while, but I’m long over that.”

“Anyway, it’s obvious you aren’t here to see me,” Lucy replied. “So, you’re looking for a dress?”

She nodded. “Yeah. We have to go to a ball at the Lexor Hotel on Friday night.”

Jenna grinned. “I think I know the perfect gown for you,” she said. “It was a special order for a lady who changed her mind at the last minute.” The designer rolled her eyes. “I should have guessed from the beginning she would be one of ‘those’ customers.”

“I think the term is entitled brat,” Lucy said with a laugh. “I’ll get it. It’s just your size, Lois,” her sister added.

Lois watched as Lucy went to a rack at the back of the shop and pulled out a gown in what appeared to be a burgundy red.

“This would go great with your colouring,” Lucy said as she laid the dress over her arm.

“It’s in satin,” Jenna told her. “Off-the-shoulder, with boning to firm the bodice. Plus it has a split front. Trust me, when your fiancé sees you in it, he won’t have eyes for anyone else in the room.”

Lois took the dress from her sister and went to change. Lucy was right. The dress fit almost perfectly. Lois guessed the woman who had commissioned the design had been slightly fuller-figured than she was.
                                She left the dressing room, one hand keeping the bodice up. Jenna eyed her critically.

“Hmm, the bodice would need taking in a little, but otherwise, I think it looks great on you. Lucy, would you get my pins, please?”

“Sure.” Lucy went out the back and returned a minute later with a small container.

Jenna began working, pinning the bodice in places. Lois gazed at her reflection in the mirror. The dress reminded her a little of the gown Julia Roberts had worn in Pretty Woman.

She played with the split front, loving the way the skirt fell to give just a glimpse of leg. She smiled to herself, thinking of the story Clark had told her about how his heat vision had first activated. Let’s see if we can turn up the heat, she thought.

“What do you think?” Jenna asked, standing back.

“I think it looks beautiful on you,” Lucy told her.

Lois nodded. She loved the dress and knew Clark would love it too.

“I love it,” she said. “How soon can you do the alterations?”

“I can get them done this afternoon and have it laundered and delivered to you at the Planet Friday morning. How does that sound?”

“That sounds great.”

The price of the gown was slightly more expensive than she had expected but considering it was an original from the actual designer, and the fact that she didn’t have to pay extra for the alterations or the laundering, she figured she was getting a good deal. She handed over her credit card and Lucy rang up the sale.

“I only have one small favour to ask,” Jenna said as she waited for the sale to go through.

“Name it.”

“You’ll let me design your wedding dress. Or rather, Lucy can design it, with my help.”

Lucy stared at her employer. “Really?”

“I think that’s a great idea,” Lois said. She gave Lucy her business card. “Promise me you’ll call me.”

Her sister nodded. “I will. I’ll deliver the dress to you personally.”

Lois left the shop feeling on top-of-the-world. She had made it up with her sister and found a beautiful dress, not to mention the promise of a wedding dress. Whenever they decided to get married, of course.

Clark was busy with meetings and she didn’t want to interrupt him to tell him this latest news, so she continued to work on her stories until it was time to pack up for the day.

The housekeeper was just leaving for the day when she arrived at the apartment.

“Dinner is in the oven,” Mrs Adams told her with a smile.

“Thank you,” she said.

The older woman paused at the elevator and turned to look at her.

“For what it’s worth, Miss Lane, I think it’s wonderful you and Mr Queen are getting married. I’ve worked for the family for a few years now and I’ve never seen him this happy in a long time. I wish you both many years of happiness together.”

“Thank you,” Lois said graciously.

The older woman smiled broadly. “Don’t forget to take the dinner out of the oven in half an hour or it will dry up. I do remember what it’s like to be young and in love but don’t get distracted. Oh, and there is a bottle of pinot noir chilling in the fridge. It’s his favourite, but I think you know that.”

“I do.”

“Goodnight, Miss Lane.”

“Oh please, call me Lois.”

“Now that wouldn’t be proper, Miss Lane.” She waved her hand and stepped into the elevator.

Lois sighed softly. She supposed that was something she would have to get used to. The family did have servants and while the Queens were always courteous to their employees, there was still a certain level of propriety. None of the servants ever addressed them by their first names.

She felt hands on her waist and a kiss on her neck.

“That better be my gorgeous fiancé or there’s going to be trouble,” she said.

“Do you know anyone else who can leap tall buildings in a single bound?” Clark replied, sounding amused.

She turned and wrapped her arms around his neck, kissing him.

“I missed you,” she said. “You were busy the whole day.”

“Is that a pout, Miss Lane?” he asked. “You know what happens when you pout?”

“Hmm, I might need a reminder,” she said, opening her mouth to let him kiss her deeply.

They continued to make out for a little while until Lois remembered the dinner in the oven.

“Mrs Adams left dinner for us,” she said. “She told me not to …”

“Let it dry out. We have time,” Clark told her. “Come on. I bet she’s left us a bottle of pinot noir in the refrigerator.”

She followed him into the kitchen and watched as he poured the wine into glasses.

“Why this particular wine?” she asked.

“I spent a month one summer in the Burgundy region. I tried to talk Uncle Jonathan into growing grapes to make it, but he said the climate didn’t really suit this variety. Did you know Kansas was once one of the largest winemaking regions in the country?”

She nodded. “It was also the first to ban alcohol in the Prohibition era.”

“That’s true.” He sipped his wine, turning his head to check on dinner. The housekeeper, probably knowing they were likely to get distracted, had left the oven on a timer.

“So, how was your day?” he asked.

“Oh, you know, just working on stories.” She sucked in a breath. “You wouldn’t believe this, but I ran into Lucy.”

“As in your sister?”

She nodded, relating her visit to the fashion boutique.

“Wow! That’s an amazing coincidence. Did she say why she stayed away so long?”

“Just that she thought I would still be mad at her over what happened. Plus I think she was worried I wouldn’t support what she was doing. I think it’s great she found something she loves to do. And Jenna seemed like a really great boss.”

“That’s great. So you found a gown, huh? Can you give me any clues to what this gown is?”

“No you don’t. You’ll just have to wait until the ball, mister.”

He pouted. “Aw, damn!”

“And no pouting, either.”

“Well, that’s no fun.”

“You are a bad man, Clark Queen.”

“You love me,” he returned.

The oven timer dinged. Lois watched as Clark opened the door and pulled out the dish without even using a pot holder.

“I still can’t get used to that,” she said.

He shrugged. “My mom told me when I was little I still had some vulnerability so I did burn my hands a lot.”

“I can’t imagine what it must have been like for your parents. They must have been so worried someone would take you away.”

“Yeah, but my dad gave me some good advice once. He said that I can’t live my life as if I fear the worst will happen.

“So why did it take you so long to tell me the truth then?”

He grinned. “Okay, you got me on that one.” He sighed. “I don’t know. I guess it was a little different. Being Superman was easy because I could hide behind the cape, so to speak. Plus, having so many powers meant if anyone tried to capture me, I could get away.”

“Unless, of course, they knew about your vulnerability to meteor rock.”

“We actually call it Kryptonite. I mean, it is radioactive pieces of my homeworld. I think it was some type of mineral on Krypton.”

“In that case, why not call it, I don’t know, Kryptonium. You know, like Plutonium.”

“Because it came to Earth as meteorites,” he said.

“Oh.” Well, that did sound logical.

“Anyway, what I’m trying to say is, telling you the truth about me was a different kind of vulnerability. I mean, I could handle you kicking my ass. What I couldn’t handle was the emotional side of the possibility that you wouldn’t accept me.”

“That makes sense,” she said as he dished up the meal. “I guess in a way it was better that I found out the truth the way I did and then kept it secret. I mean, it gave me time to really get to know who you were as a person.” Maybe that didn’t quite make sense to him, but she had long ago realised that the side of him he’d let her see was the more human side. He could be himself without his abilities clouding the issue.

He grinned at her. “You have a way with words, Lois Lane.”

“Thank you for the compliment,” she returned. “So, how was your day?”

“Well, I had a meeting with the Planet’s accountant today. Bo-oring,” he complained. “Don’t get me wrong. I’m pretty good with numbers but even I can nod off at times.”

She laughed. “Yeah, I know what you mean.”

“Perry was asking me if we wanted to do a small piece in the paper. I mean, we already did the notice, but he thought an article would be of interest.”

“It’s hardly newsworthy,” she pointed out.

“Still, it might stop any potential gossip in its tracks.”

Lois shrugged. “I don’t know. I mean, Cat hasn’t said a word. I think she pretty much learned her lesson when you talked to her. She did ask me if I was ‘expecting’. I put a halt to that rumour mill toot suite.”

“Yeah, I heard. Honey, as much as you hate Cat, don’t go threatening violence. At the risk of repeating myself, I really don’t want to see any catfights between you two.”

She wrinkled her nose at him. “Who do you think would win in a catfight if it did come down to that. Me or Cat?”

He shot her an ‘are you kidding?’ look. “I think the expression is duh!”

She grinned. “You’re so biased!”

“Speaking of ‘expecting’, we haven’t really talked about that, have we?”

“What? Having kids? Like I said the other night, I do want a family.”

“The thing is, I’m not sure I can have kids.”

She reached for his hand across the table. “Honey, none of that matters. If we can’t have biological children there are plenty of children who need a home and a real family. I know your mom wouldn’t trade you for the world.”

He smiled. “I’m glad you feel that way, Lois.”

“I think about what happened with my dad and I’ve done a lot of stories where parents have abused their children. Biology doesn’t make someone a parent. It’s love.”

She could tell from his expression he understood completely.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎