No announcement yet.

Pennyworth (EPIX) Prequel Series

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennyworth (EPIX) Prequel Series

Yep!...a 10-episode, straight-to-series order has been placed for an origin story about Bruce Wayne/Batman's butler...Alfred Pennyworth.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...t-epix-1112339

I wish they’d stop giving us these prequel series. Why can’t we just get a straight up Batman series or Superman series? Obviously they’re not having much success on the big screen; the small screen is where DC thriving.

Though it isn't set in the universe of Gotham TV series.

It could be interesting. They have a lot to use like his Military career also they could have a badass Alfred similar to how he was in All-Star Batman vol. 3 "The First Ally"

Comment

Can't wait for the series about Hiram Kent and how he grew to be the man who fathered the man who adopted Superman.

I've watched my fair share of prequel shows (Smallville, Gotham, Krypton) and I concur that the theme has grown tiresome. No disrespect to Alfred. I like him as a character, but at this point I have little interest in a show about him.

Comment

Yeah I have about as much interest in watching this as I do the Metropolis show featuring Lois and Lex Luthor's rise to power so as in zero.

Comment

My reaction at seeing this news was .

I know there are versions of Alfred's backstory that could lend themselves to a series like this, like his military background if they're going to go with a Bourne vibe. His theatrical stage actor past, maybe not so much.

But, yeah, the prequel thing is not as ground-breaking as it once was, and I have to wonder if they have enough material to put out multiple seasons revolving around Alfred, and presumably a supporting cast who may/may not have a connection to Alfred and/or Batman's destiny.

I'd like to get back into Gotham at some point. As for Krypton, I don't know. Syfy has burned me one too many times in pulling the plug on shows I became invested in. Don't know if I'll risk it. With Syfy's track record, they could doom the planet ... long before it's supposed to go boom.

Metropolis doesn't register with me, maybe due to superhero genre fatigue. Or my Batman bias.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
            I'd like to get back into Gotham at some point. As for Krypton, I don't know. Syfy has burned me one too many times in pulling the plug on shows I became invested in. Don't know if I'll risk it. With Syfy's track record, they could doom the planet ... long before it's supposed to go boom.
            Krypton's fate is truly uncertain at the moment. Next week is the season 1 finale and they still haven't announced a second season (the ratings going down hasn't helped).

But I think you would have liked it. There's a love triangle at the forefront that's right down your alley.
            Last edited by costas22; 05-17-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing someone in that triangle can't catch a break, or is about to buy the reserved seating ticket on that train. Poor Jimmy-El lol.

That Alfred show is supposedly going to be set in the 1960s, with ex-SAS Alfred going to work for Thomas Wayne. I'm still indifferent at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by President_Luthor
                I'm guessing someone in that triangle can't catch a break, or is about to buy the reserved seating ticket on that train. Poor Jimmy-El lol.
                Yes, there is someone who can't catch a break. A guy who's pining after one of the women who love Superman's grandpa. It's basically a love square.

The best part about it is that it [SPOILER]apparently leads to Zod and Jor-El being half brothers! [/SPOILER]

Comment

Originally posted by costas22
                  The best part about it is that it [SPOILER]apparently leads to Zod and Jor-El being half brothers! [/SPOILER]
                  Lol, sounds a bit like the SV "stuff of legends" Clark-Lex frenemy bromance:

SV Lex: "What I want is to make Lana happy for the rest of her life. And I want you to be there on our wedding day... to see what you lost." (Gotta say I loved that line, and MR delivered it with such acidity too.)

I might have just 'foreshadowed' Krypton S2 ... you know, if Syfy doesn't screw over the fandom again.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎